• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Could be something with a really good story, could be a classic RPG that ticks all the boxes, etc. - I'm on break and wanted something to sink my teeth into for the next few days. If it's on sale right now, the better! I'm working through Hades but it's sort of a stressful gaming experience because I find it awfully hard (especially because Elysium is SUCH a difficulty spike). I also own Stardew Valley but the min-maxing fear gets to me lol, so if you have tips to enjoy that game instead that works too!

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
VA-11 Hall-A, Coffee Talk are very comfy experiences.

I find Rune Factory 4 to be more relaxing than Stardew Valley. I find SV a very...cold game where in the end the game is one huge spreadsheet of data. Rune Factory is much more warm and story based in that regard, but YMMV.

I also completed Yoku's Island Express and it was super comfy and relaxing, it's never a bad choice.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
If you are concerned with min-max in Stardew, maybe try Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town? It is a remake of the original Friends of Mineral Town without many of the newer systems in both Stardew and the new Story of Seasons titles. Rune Factory 4's Switch port is another option as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Moon is pretty darn cozy.

You spend a lot of time hanging out with towns folk, learning their schedules and helping them get over the hurdles in their lives. Otherwise you're attempting to save the souls of animals killed by the JRPG hero standin.
In general, you're just trying to spread love to everyone in the game world. It's low commitment too, you can hop on for just a few minutes and feel like you've made progress.
It's on sale at the moment too.

EN18MyHouse.jpg
Moon-Remix-RPG-Adventure.png

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wish that Stardew Valley had a type of freeplay mode where you didn't have to worry about your energy and available daylight. The game is so lovely but the mechanics really stress me out. I just want to grow plants and raise animals 😭

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
FF 9 is my cozy blanket for me. Charming world, fun cast, calming soundtrack and easy to grasp turn based battles.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo VA-11 Hall-A and Coffee Talk. The former even suggests you get a drink and settle in. Perfect games for a break from things.
Something meatier along the same lines would be the Ace Attorney games if you haven't played them.

Some other suggestions:
  • Part Time UFO
  • A Short Hike
  • Cat Quest
  • Wilmot's Warehouse
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Night in the Woods
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Golf Story

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seconding A Short Hike. Super cozy and won't take you more than a couple hours.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
VA11-H411-A and Gris are both chill and outstanding experiences.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'd recommend A Short Hike but as the name suggests it's short (like, it feels like it's meant to be a one-sitting game), so not really something you sink your teeth into. Really cozy and relaxing game though

If you're looking for a more teeth-sinky game I second the recommendations for Dragon Quest XI S and Rune Factory 4

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
A.

SHORT.

HIKE.

It's a perfectly crafted diamond of a game -- there is not a single rough edge to it. The vibes will fill your brain with dopamine, the controls make it feel like your hands are dipped in sweet brownie batter and the dialogue is just absolutely lovely.

I'll reiterate Animal Crossing, which is literally created around being comfy. Also Abzu for oceanic comfy, Ni No Kuni for Ghibli style comft, Speed Dating for Ghosts for no-consequence getting personal with specters comfy, Floor Kids for freestyle what-if-Tony-Hawk-was-break-dancing comfy, Undertale for monster comfy, Wandersong and Pikiniku for twee indie platforming comfy, and Stardew Valley if you don't mind somewhat less comfy time and energy limits.

Also, if you're freaky, I find the overworld in Deadly Premonition uniquely relaxing.

EDIT: Oh, and Breath of the Wild is a digital zen garden with some cute monsters sprinkled in.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm just looking into Giraffe and Annika myself, and that seems to fit this description pretty perfectly

On offer at the moment on Steam, PSN, and Switch

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Short Hike is the coziest, most charming game no one has played.

Animal Crossing is the obvious choice though.

OP
OP
TheNotoriousAFG
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you all!!! I have actually played stuff like Animal Crossing, RF4, and Va-11HALLA and agree that they are the epitome of cozy! I have NOT played A Short Hike though so let me go purchase that... I'll probably save up for DQXI - LOVED 8 and 5. Please continue posting more recs if you have em though, I'm adding all of these to my wish list!

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Kentucky Route Zero is a very slow, relaxing experience, sort of a cross between a modern point and click adventure game and an old school text adventure at times. It deals with heavy themes but in a text-based and very poetic manner, and has probably some of the best writing in video games right now. The game spends a lot of time exploring a weird version of rural Kentucky and encourages you to take time exploring side roads across the map, talking to people and examining things.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Moon is pretty darn cozy.

You spend a lot of time hanging out with towns folk, learning their schedules and helping them get over the hurdles in their lives. Otherwise you're attempting to save the souls of animals killed by the JRPG hero standin.
In general, you're just trying to spread love to everyone in the game world. It's low commitment too, you can hop on for just a few minutes and feel like you've made progress.
It's on sale at the moment too.

EN18MyHouse.jpg
Moon-Remix-RPG-Adventure.png
Came here to say Moon. It's so cozy and charming, and it has a soundtrack that will melt you.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2!

Its a community simulator. When it gets to the point the npcs are living a daily routine and helping to build blueprints for buildings for you, it's a magical experience.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Immortals Fenyx Rising is cozy imo. Very much inspired by BOTW with no weapon durability, goofy characters and light hearted dialogue. Game doesn't take itself seriously at all. I've found it very enjoyable and relaxing to just log on, wander around for an hour doing whatever I stumble upon, and feel like I've made progress.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
not an rpg, but glass masquerade 1 and 2 is a chill as fuck puzzle game. they are also on mobile, but have really soothing soundtracks too. Thing jigsaw luzzle with stained glass and all the puzzle shapes are just all kinds of shit.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Atelier, pretty much any of 'em.

I just finished rorona and while ur right i.e its easy to get OP in battle, easy to get (almost) all of the endings, but goddamn the post story content is really stressful. Im trying to make sure if i can get all the items and equipments necessary to beat the bosses and get the best finale while still being under 1 year and am not sure if i can do that

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Does this qualify? it's a walking sim, but I like it's atmosphere and it has a dream-like quality.

Also a strong game techically on Switch

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pokemon Let's Go and Sword/Shield. There's no way to be stressed playing singleplayer only.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Dragon Quest XI comes to mind. Nice traditional JRPG with tons of colorful charm. If you haven't played it, it has a ridiculously generous free demo (like, the first 10-15 hours of the game). You can save as usual, and all progress carries over to the full version.

And of course there's Animal Crossing if you're looking for super comfy/chill, on the off chance you haven't played it.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Wandersong is a wonderful 10-hour game. One of my favorites of the last years. Reminds me of Paper Mario but more charming, and without repetitive battles/leveling.

OP
OP
TheNotoriousAFG
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna say I played A Short Hike and absolutely loved it!! Though I found the main plot to be simply.. whatever, all the side detours and characters were so fun! And the game was gorgeous to control. The idea of the exploration opening up the more golden feathers you got and the glide mechanics were just sooooooo good. Definitely worth the few hours I put into it!