• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For people in countries where the PS5 launches on Nov 19 there is also another reason: The game launches Nov 12. So you could start playing the PS4 version early and then upgrade when PS5 launches.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 patch on disk I would imagine.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So... If I didn't buy Spiderman on PS4 and buy Miles Ultimate Edition (or whatever it's name is), does it entitle me to download the PS4 version of Spiderman as well?

Since I don't plan to buy a PS5 anytime soon

If you buy it digitally yes it does. Don't know how it works with physical PS5 copies of MM though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The reason to get the PS5 version ist o have the PS5 version on a disc rather than the need to download it. For me, I'm getting the PS5 version of Miles but the PS4 version of Sackboy because I'll want to play multiplayer so it makes sense to get the PS4 version there.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I know the OP is largely addressing Miles, but he did mention all games also... sonfrom a physical standpoint, for me, it depends on the game...

Assassin's Creed : Valhalla - I have every AC game available at the moment on PS4 (wish the original AC was available), I'll keep the series going as long as possible on the one platform.

Immortals : Fenyx Rising - New IP, PS5...

Watch Dogs : Legion - will complete the "Trilogy Collection" on PS4

LEGO Skywalker Saga - No direct links to past LEGO games, PS5.

Dirt 5 - unsure, the 3 Dirt Games on PS3, 1 Dirt game on PS4, so there isn't a big connection to the current gen, but I like the idea of ending on 5 for a series, so likely PS4.

Far Cry 6 - as above, starting new from 6, seems like my plan, so PS5.

Planet Coaster : Console Edition - New Console Port, PS5.

For Miles, just going to go PS5, to get the remaster of the original from the start.

All that being said, there is a high chance of me double dipping on maybe titles eventually, even if it's to increase the collection via cheap preowned versions

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird but the idea of inserting PS4 discs into my PS5 in order to play the PS5 versions of those games just seems weird to me, especially if they're sitting in the PS4 section on my shelf, so I think I'm just gonna go digital for most of these cross-gen games. It helps that Miles Morales isn't getting a steelbook, as I usually try to collect those.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Hm think I'll be buying the PS4 version. It's €10 cheaper, and probs slightly easier to sell on later

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Given that the PS4 version was cheaper and it lets you get the PS5 version for free, PS4 was the easy choice.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this like a Zelda situation (Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess both being cross-gen titles), I suspect the PS4 version will be a smaller print and thus more collectible over time.

I know Spider-Man is a big enough name to probably mean there will still be tons of copies out there one or two years down the line but sooner or later Sony will probably discontinue the PS4 physical disc and only leave it as a digital title on last gen.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Soriku With the PS5 version you will install the game from the disc = faster
With the PS4 version (on PS5) you will have to download the whole game from the store = slower

PS4 version works on both consoles, PS5 version only on PS5.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Because your PS4 version of Spider-Man and your PS4 version of Spider-Man: Miles Morales won't have the same Spider-Man.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the ps5 version will retain its value much better.
Ps5 version might have a better resale value

Maybe in the preowned market, but not so for personal value. The PS5 transition is going to be really sloooooooooow. If even I have no plans to get a PS5 right now, then some people who were slower than me in getting a PS4 might simply never get a PS5. If I want to give my copy of Miles Morales to them eventually after I've played it, then it has to be the PS4 release.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the ps5 version pre ordered but I guess I switch to PS4 since basically means I get two copies. That way I can let my nephew borrow the PS4 version when I'm done with it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
For the box, if you're going physical that is.

It's a free upgrade to PS5 if you get the PS4 version.
It's up to you.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
if backwards compatibility is there then take advantage of it.

it is? I thought only the ultimate edition
It's a free upgrade to PS5 MM...

Ultimate Edition is the only edition that comes with Spider-Man Remastered.

You can only upgrade to it from PS4 if you upgrade to PS5 MM Ultimate Edition (which is like $10?).

But MM PS4 to MM PS5 is free.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
It's a free upgrade to PS5 MM...

Ultimate Edition is the only edition that comes with Spider-Man Remastered.

You can only upgrade to it from PS4 if you upgrade to PS5 MM Ultimate Edition (which is like $10?).

But MM PS4 to MM PS5 is free.
I think both ways are free. If you purchase the PS5 digital edition you get the PS4 Digital game as well.