• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's all in the title, i kinda want to replay the first dark souls, only played it a lot at release on ps3

Remastered price is still quite high even with the discounts, but i already own prepare to die edition so i'm wondering if it's good enough, like a lot of other original PC experiences where the remastered didn't add much

thanks for the answers!

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Depends on how much you care about participating in the online aspect of the game tbh. Remastered fixed a lot of things that were broken about the online in the original release. As such the PC playerbase more or less completely moved over there. If you don't care about that then I suppose the few QoL features aren't worth an entirely new purchase. Though do keep in mind you need some fan made fixes/mods for Prepare to Die Edition to be worth playing, while Remastered doesn't need that.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
There is still drop in frametimes in Demon's Ruins and Blightown in the old version no matter what, the remastered version fixes that.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It runs like butter, has really nice anti-aliasing, doesn't have any weird game-breaking bugs when running at 60 FPS, and has a more active playerbase. That's basically it.

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Don't really mind not having online, i already played a ton of it back then on ps3, i just want to redo the game normally before elden rings come out, i still remember most of the game

Guess prepare to die + dsfix is enough then?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It looks worse as they busted the lighting in weird ways, even if it doesn't look awful.

It's easily the most stable, best performing build though with the richest multiplayer integration. So that in of itself could be the sell.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yea my main problem with the remaster is the lighting, it just doesn't quite look right... I'll take some framerate dips in a couple zones for the better overall look. (Also never play Souls games online so that doesn't matter to me.)

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Don't really mind not having online, i already played a ton of it back then on ps3, i just want to redo the game normally before elden rings come out, i still remember most of the game

Guess prepare to die + dsfix is enough then?
IMO, its a toss up.

I prefer the visual look of the original. But the mods to unlock the framerate never got it perfect and taking it all the way up to 60fps can fairly frequently result in physics issues. Also, it lowers your jump and dodge distances. Due to this, I never played higher than about 45fps.

And regardless of how nice your PC is-----performance will tank in certain areas, even when looking certian directions, which don't actually make sense to be hitting your performance. In actual practice for someone whom played dozens of hours on PS3: its not as interruptive as it sounds. But you definitely feel like you are playing a modded experience. But you also probably got it for like $2 so....

Personally, I would load up the game, mod it, and see how you feel around 40 - 45fps capped. if you aren't satisfied----then I would pay up for the remaster.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Hardly anyone ever notices, but Remastered (excluding Switch) has a persistent bug where ambient sounds cut out, which spoils the atmosphere, usually after dying or using a homeward bone. The only way to fix it to quit to the title screen and reload, which is only a temporary fix.

For this reason I'd much rather play the original, even with the physics bugs from playing at 60 FPS.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Its more stable frame rate, not having stuff bug out at 60 fps, and more efficient anti-aliasing solutions were the main selling points for me. Neither version is perfect, and it's entirely personal which flavor of jank you prefer. I think if you already own PTDE, just play that. It's good in its own ways and its shortcomings aren't necessarily worth it to instead buy Remastered, imo.

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if PTDE runs well for you then nope. Ran perfectly on my old pc, then got strange animation and movement speed issues on tilted planes on a new PC so I got the remaster instead. But yeah, the remaster comes with flaws as well.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
It fixes some minor inconveniences from the original and changes online a bit. Here is a list of changes. They did have an upgrade program but it ended a year or two back I believe. If you just wanna mess around with builds and stuff it is fairly easy to get a bunch of souls through exploit within the first 10-20 mins of the game.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
There's a big new mod campaign coming for Dark Souls Remastered.

As someone who didn't buy the 5€ upgrade to Remastered back in the day I now regret it and the game now never goes decently on sale and costs minimum 15€.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
They ruined the bonefires so no. Also they ruined the light in the game, it runs better but looks worse IMO. I played the OG version with Durante mod and everything was perfect. I guess if you really care about the multiplayer the og playerbase is dead.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
wait there was a 5 € upgrade? Damn i missed that

oh well, i guess i'll just go with prepare to die with DSfix see how ti goes

thanks everyone
this too
HdxeHCd.png