• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is odd but I've been in Paris for 4 days now and I honestly feel like the food is pretty meh. My wife agrees.

We've mainly been going to various local cafe type spots and have shot for stuff with 4.5 or so average google reviews. And then sometimes just going to spots that look busier as you'd think they'd be busy for a reason. And then a fancier joint called Cinq Mars. Like nothing has been bad but I haven't been truly impressed by anything. And this shit ain't cheap either. I'm dropping like 50 plus euros on average here and twice now over 100 euros (for 2).

Like honestly feeling slightly baffled here as I feel Minneapolis has better local joints and fine dining than this, but I'm thinking that may mainly have to do with a very good understanding of what's good since I've lived there forever and I'm in unfamiliar territory here. But I also haven't ever had this much trouble finding that feeling at a restaurant on vacation either so it's just kind of disappointing as of now.

So yeah any recs for maybe some good somewhat affordable joints? I'll take fine dining recs too as I'll maybe give that another go too.

Really anywhere in the city is fine as it isn't difficult to get around. Our hotel is in the Auteil neighborhood if that helps but we've really been all over a lot of the city now on the metro checking stuff out.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
maybe start a "The Food in France sucks!!!!" reddit and create a little drama with people arguing about their favorite spots and you pick and choose.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
There are so many restaurants that it's bound to strike out a couple times.
I'd have to dig into our searches and all to bring some up. We were there for 9 days end of Sept.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many restaurants that it's bound to strike out a couple times.
I'd have to dig into our searches and all to bring some up. We were there for 9 days end of Sept.

I wouldn't say anything has really struck out, like everything has just been kind of alright I guess. So kind of in a way striking out. At home there are plenty of places I can go to to get that this is damn fucking good feeling. Seems a bit odd to me 4 days in a row of striking out in the supposed culinary capitol of the world.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
If you swing by Montmartre, definitely check out La Boîte aux Lettres. Best meal I've had in my two times through Paris. Probably around the same prices you've already been paying, but I really enjoyed their Filets de boeuf au foie gras. And whatever broccoli dish they had.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you swing by Montmartre, definitely check out La Boîte aux Lettres. Best meal I've had in my two times through Paris. Probably around the same prices you've already been paying, but I really enjoyed their Filets de boeuf au foie gras. And whatever broccoli dish they had.

Shit I was just up there today

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
There's a small place really close to the Eiffel Tower, its called Alfio. They have the best pizza i have ever eaten. Greasy as can be(just dab some off) but absolutely delicious. I got a pizza for dinner while my wife got a salad, gave her a slice of my pizza and she ordered another one for herself. Seriously, if you're in that area give it a shot. Think we spend 40 euro on the 2 pizzas, the salad and some drinks. It's cheap and delicoous.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh try Holy Belly 5, we went there twice. It's a breakfast place. Definitely get the savory pancakes combo.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I feel like this is odd but I've been in Paris for 4 days now and I honestly feel like the food is pretty meh. My wife agrees.

We've mainly been going to various local cafe type spots and have shot for stuff with 4.5 or so average google reviews. And then sometimes just going to spots that look busier as you'd think they'd be busy for a reason. And then a fancier joint called Cinq Mars. Like nothing has been bad but I haven't been truly impressed by anything. And this shit ain't cheap either. I'm dropping like 50 plus euros on average here and twice now over 100 euros (for 2).

Like honestly feeling slightly baffled here as I feel Minneapolis has better local joints and fine dining than this, but I'm thinking that may mainly have to do with a very good understanding of what's good since I've lived there forever and I'm in unfamiliar territory here.

So yeah any recs for maybe some good somewhat affordable joints? I'll take fine dining recs too as I'll maybe give that another go too.

Really anywhere in the city is fine as it isn't difficult to get around. Our hotel is in the Auteil neighborhood if that helps but we've really been all over a lot of the city now on the metro checking stuff out.

Thanks much!

Bonjour ! je recommande Le wagon bleu, Bel Canto, Le Sens Unique and if you're up for a brisket you can head for Meltdown BBQ joint

Now if you really wanna go all out there's Epicure, for a less expensive price there's Signature

Can Alegria is also very neat. Best burgers are at Paris New York (check out the return of the cowboy, that one is mad)

Happy food hunt ! (Le Sens Unique is the most "french food" of the bunch if that makes sense)

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What district/part of Paris are you in?

Stabbie I second the Wagon Bleu, great Corsican cuisine. I ate there because a friend's cousin works there and was very pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bonjour ! je recommande Le wagon bleu, Bel Canto, Le Sens Unique and if you're up for a brisket you can head for Meltdown BBQ joint

Now if you really wanna go all out there's Epicure, for a less expensive price there's Signature

Can Alegria is also very neat. Best burgers are at Paris New York (check out the return of the cowboy, that one is mad)

Happy food hunt

merci this is great! If you had to pick one or 2 of these which would it be? Going to Versailles tomorrow and may only have time for 1 or 2 more sit downs before heading to Spain. Thanks again!

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What district/part of Paris are you in?

Stabbie I second the Wagon Bleu, great Corsican cuisine. I ate there because a friend's cousin works there and was very pleasantly surprised.

Hotel is in Auteil but don't mind going a ways. We've been doing 30k steps a day since we've been here lol and all over the metro. It's just across from Eiffel Tower near Kennedy RER or Mirabeau M.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
merci this is great! If you had to pick one or 2 of these which would it be? Going to Versailles tomorrow and may only have time for 1 or 2 more sit downs before heading to Spain. Thanks again!

Try out Le Sens Unique and Le wagon bleu imho. sens unique is serving dishes from the richest region in france, culinary speaking (its mostly dishes from périgord noir iirc, delicious stuff) whereas Le wagon bleu is mostly corsican specialties which are very tasty yet a tad more based around delicatessen

You can't go wrong with either. However if you truly feel like spending money, head down for Signature no doubt. Its french-korean fusion cook and man ...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hotel is in Auteil but don't mind going a ways. We've been doing 30k steps a day since we've been here lol and all over the metro.
There's Le Recepteur and Bistrot 31 in that area, which are two smaller joints I like. Le Recepteur might be more traditional.

If you're in Versailles, my wife has a really mean crĂŞperie there, I'll ask her tomorrow morning.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I would highly recommend Hébé. My girlfriend and I stumbled on it when we were strolling around the Latin Quarter last year. The food is exceedingly high quality and Michelin-worthy, and the prices are pretty reasonable for what you're being served. If you're looking for an upscale experience for good value, you won't regret it, I promise - every dish on the menu is fantastic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's Le Recepteur and Bistrot 31 in that area, which are two smaller joints I like. Le Recepteur might be more traditional.

If you're in Versailles, my wife has a really mean crĂŞperie there, I'll ask her tomorrow morning.

Went to to le Recepteur last night lol. It was pretty meh. Desert was pretty good honestly but the steak was actually probably the worst ribeye I've ever ordered (literally the thinnest and fattiest ribeye I've ever seen, and then someone else orders it and gets a proper nice looking ribeye lol) and I wanted to complain about it but my wife wouldn't let me and I've had much better fries and octopus in Minneapolis. I think we had some apps too but I don't even remember what so they can't have been great.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try out Le Sens Unique and Le wagon bleu imho. sens unique is serving dishes from the richest region in france, culinary speaking (its mostly dishes from périgord noir iirc, delicious stuff) whereas Le wagon bleu is mostly corsican specialties which are very tasty yet a tad more based around delicatessen

You can't go wrong with either. However if you truly feel like spending money, head down for Signature no doubt. Its french-korean fusion cook and man ...

alright this sounds like a good route. I'll look at signature a bit more here and see if it's something we want to do. Thanks for the help!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If you want some MEAT check out Santa Carne or Robert Et Louise, both fantastic steak places with great desserts and super friendly people.

I'd also recommend the empanadas at Santa and the escargot at Robert.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Went to to le Recepteur last night lol. It was pretty meh. Desert was pretty good honestly but the steak was actually probably the worst ribeye I've ever ordered (literally the thinnest and fattiest ribeye I've ever seen, and then someone else orders it and gets a proper nice looking ribeye lol) and I wanted to complain about it but my wife wouldn't let me and I've had much better fries and octopus in Minneapolis. I think we had some apps too but I don't even remember what so they can't have been great.
That's a shame about Le Recepteur. I've been there something like three times and every time, the meal of the day was pretty good. Last time I went there, they had a braised pork cheek burger which worked really well.
(generally speaking, I tend to go for daily specials)

My wife tells me her crêperie is "BléNoir Jeanne", and looking at the map, I remembered a Briton coworker from Versailles has praised Crêperie Belle Île several times. They're pretty close to one another.

Is it in the farmer's market?
That's not the one, it's closer to the castle.

Eligor

Jan 9, 2018
If it looks like a "local café" and it's within walking distance of a touristic spot, it's going to be disappointing 9/10 times
Try using a dedicated food guide (like Le Fooding) instead of google review
My favourite cheap spots :
Les Fabricants (french southwest cuisine)
Chez Imogene (delicious crèpes)
SaAm (korean)
Yumi (vegetarian)
Trois fois plus de piment (Sichuan)

For mid-range prices, Cafe BigLove, MARROW

For fine dining : Caillebotte is exceptional for the price. Also love Les Enfants Rouges, but it's pricey.

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
Try Le Pied de Cochon for their onion soup or Le Louchebem if you're looking for a good meat restaurant, both are near Les Halles.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
By the way OP, treat yourself, go to a pierre marcolini shop and get a box of "truffes au champagne" , incredible chocolates (he s the chocolate maker for the king of Belgium).
I cannot give French restaurant directions, all those I loved closed down. Pedra Alta is a fine Portuguese chain (generous plates, good quality products), but you are not in France to eat Portuguese dishes I guess... ask for a crf reserva to end the meal if you do and drink alcohol however ;)

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I've been to Paris 2 times and I always had great experiences most of the time (in fact, anywhere in France). I only remember one meal that was meh, the rest were great. Maybe you are ordering stuff you are not really interested in? What kind of food do you like? The Frenchmen can recommend something for your taste.

I like their bakeries, great food all around and the price is reasonable.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP look no further:

The restaurant is called Champeaux, and is owned by a michelin chef, and offers high quality food at a reasonable price.

I took my girlfriend there on valentine's day. She still talk about it now after we've been to countless other restaurants since. 10/10 do recommend.

EDIT: excellent wine selection too!

I've been to Paris 2 times and I always had great experiences most of the time (in fact, anywhere in France). I only remember one meal that was meh, the rest were great. Maybe you are ordering stuff you are not really interested in? What kind of food do you like? The Frenchmen can recommend something for your taste.

I like their bakeries, great food all around and the price is reasonable.

Coming from Germany, I was always a bit stuck-up when it comes to bakeries. But after visiting France and buying bread, pastries etc. in some French bakeries, I'm absolutely amazed. Getting a fresh Baguette sounds like a cliché, but it can be THAT good.

jaxom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By the way OP, treat yourself, go to a pierre marcolini shop and get a box of "truffes au champagne" , incredible chocolates (he s the chocolate maker for the king of Belgium).

A lot better than marcolini for me is Ducasse chocolates ( i prefer stronger taste than the full buttery belgium ones). There is 3 or 4 shops in Paris. Paris became the world capital of dark chocolate the last years ( Roger, hevin, ducasse, genin... )

Let's not forget all the boulangeries/patisseries too
https://stohrer.fr/
https://www.timeout.fr/paris/shopping/les-meilleures-patisseries-de-paris
http://passiondupain.com/boulangeries-paris/

You can prefer somewhere else in the world for the salty, but it's the paradise of sweets and bread for sure :p

Of course don't forget your cheese with your bread
https://www.pariszigzag.fr/bars-et-restos/restaurants-paris-insolite/meilleurs-fromagers-paris

Last edited: