• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Had the PS1 version as a child and adored it.

I assumed it was just a game I enjoyed when I was young, but probably just a mediocre licensed game, but replayed it a couple of years ago on Vita and it still holds up really well.

It's also one of the few PS1 games that I think look good today.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've played this a lot on the PS1 back in the days. I don't know if it still holds up but I loved it as a kid.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Monsters Inc Scare Island being the first ever game I played and owned back when I was 6 years old. Still have good memories of that game, surprisingly robust for a kids game.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
For as good of a reputation the 3D platformer genre seems to have thanks to some high profile games there's only like a half a dozen I actually liked playing and this one is up there.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Disney games used to be really good.

Toy Story 1, 2 and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command

Tarzan (PC) was fantastic fun, used to play that over and over.

Other standouts were Emperors New Groove and Hercules

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Yes. I have it on PS1. It was not perfect by any means (probably less so nowadays) but I really liked it. It was the best 3d Disney game of the era. Always felt that it was underrated.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome. Loved the shit out of this game and still did when I completed it some years ago. I remember having the biggest fear to climb up to the Prospector in the airport teminal level.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Played it on PC and loved it!

Haven't seen the movie back then when I played this gem, so all the cutscenes were new to me and the were the localize voices and sound effects in swedish.

That something modern Lego games miss, they are not localize for Scandinavia except for danish subs (Lego is from Denmark, so that why)

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Dammit, I just remembered I left this at my ex's.
Yeah, it was a pretty fun game! Have very fond memories of it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I had this on PC. I remember I got pretty far as a kid, but I never beat it.

My main memory of it is that the level design was pretty interesting and the game had a weird sorta' atmosphere to it. Like it's hard to describe and maybe I'd feel differently playing it now, but I remember the game having ambient-esque music and the levels having lots of odd secrets and objectives that contributed to a sorta' specific feeling this game had. That and as you're a toy, all the levels are constructed of you being little and in places with giant geometry to climb, and going through back areas of places to explore and such.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I played it on PC, and while I don't think I really did much more than the level in Andy's House, I thought it was really good.

Toy Story 3 is really good as well.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This, A Bug's Life, Hercules, and Genesis Lion King were my shit

Even that ps2 haunted mansion game kinda

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I actually preferred the original game on the Sega Megadrive (The side scrolling one - Best level had the RC Car).

I did enjoy TS2 but I always found Buzz's random expressions so weird, took me ages to figure some of them out.

For example, in the first level at least he says "No time to lose!" at random points, I had thought for a long time that he was saying "NO TANGALOS!"

I ended up scouring the manual for ages to figure out what the heck a tangalo was lol.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Toy Story 2 was great, loved that game so much as a kid. I always found A Bug's Life incredibly difficult when I was young and still haven't finished it to this day

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yesss this and A Bugs life are the best licensed games. Might replay them...

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Hercule's as well was good but another pretty hard game for a kid

The Athen's (?) street level was cool where the camera would zoom out at a certain point of the level

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
This game is really awesome, yeah. Played the shit out of it when I was young (well, younger than now... I'm still young !), even bought the PlayStation Classic version on PlayStation Vita some years ago. Gameplay didn't age really well but it still has some fun and man, the atmosphere, the music... such a pleasure. A remake would be a dream.

Disney games during the PlayStation era were a blast, too bad we don't see that anymore. Tarzan, Hercules, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life... Hell, even freakin' Kuzco had a good and fun action game.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Actually my first PSone game. I have pretty great memories of it.
But then I discovered Harry Potter.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I was considering making a thread on the entire Disney Action game suite from that generation. A lot of people talk about SNES/Genesis Lion King and Aladdin, but Toy Story 2, Hercules, Tarzan and Bugs Life from PS1 were flames

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Absolutely loved this game as a kid!

Think I had it on PS1 and can still remember the level set in the Garden and the ending at the Airport, such a fantastic little game!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of my favorite games as a kid. I loved how you could just explore the levels as you wanted, and this was very rewarding too. I remember it being quite challenging too, I remember struggling to beat the Alleys and Gullies level. lol
This and A Bug's Life were probably 50% of my gaming time back in the day.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Loved the exploration in this game, everything felt massive. Climbing up giant structures and fighting scary bosses was amazing for kid-me.

Got stuck on the peacock ufo boss though

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Loved this game to death when I was a kid. And all things considered, I think it holds up reasonably well.
Playing as a small character is something I still enjoy to this day, just for the different perspective of everyday locations.

And the scale of everything was great. Like making your way to the top of the construction site, or climbing up those fire escapes in Allies and Gullies.
I remember kid me loving the atmosphere of that rainy alley.

The game was also the first time I was scared by a game. The boss in the alleys (I think it was called Slime Time) scared me so much it was such a relief when I beat him. I always avoided that level. Now I love scary games!

Edit: this fucker right here

Oof, same. This boss scared me and I was not able to beat it for ages.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly, A Bugs Life was a perfect game and story. N64 and ps1.

Youve got the intro levels which are some cool not so challenging tunnels with insects popping out, quite lengthy if i am not mistaken, not a short thing.

Then youve got this flying grasshopper boss fight in the ant throne room, not too hard but he is flying all over, that crazy one.

then i recall a bird boss battle outside, not to mention the cool exploration on ant island. Imagine a ps5 game remake of it, lmao .

There was this bit where you have to fly across a huge wasteland with the dandilions floating. I remember it being a huge joy to finally get across it after so many errors. Then came the complicated bits, IMO. the mazes, but they were still cool , when you finally kill that bird it is such a satisfying feeling.

Ant city was intimidating with its size, it was huge. and the boss battle in the bar too while the whole can rolled and kept rolling. Very smart levels and bosses tbh. Id argue that it might hold up better than some ps1 or ps2 games.

The cherry on top was exploring ant island and finding parts ALL OVER to build the bird plane vehicle .

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That and:
6158A0GATDL.jpg

Were my jam back in the day. Loved those games.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Honestly, A Bugs Life was a perfect game and story. N64 and ps1.

Youve got the intro levels which are some cool not so challenging tunnels with insects popping out, quite lengthy if i am not mistaken, not a short thing.

Then youve got this flying grasshopper boss fight in the ant throne room, not too hard but he is flying all over, that crazy one.

then i recall a bird boss battle outside, not to mention the cool exploration on ant island. Imagine a ps5 game remake of it, lmao .

There was this bit where you have to fly across a huge wasteland with the dandilions floating. I remember it being a huge joy to finally get across it after so many errors. Then came the complicated bits, IMO. the mazes, but they were still cool , when you finally kill that bird it is such a satisfying feeling.

Ant city was intimidating with its size, it was huge. and the boss battle in the bar too while the whole can rolled and kept rolling. Very smart levels and bosses tbh. Id argue that it might hold up better than some ps1 or ps2 games.

The cherry on top was exploring ant island and finding parts ALL OVER to build the bird plane vehicle .

These berries don't work

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
what an amazing game honestly.
ive lost count of how many times iv completed it.
btw dont play the dreamcast version.very poor performance.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My friend had it and I played it all the time. I never got around to beating it, but I enjoyed it much more than the movie it's based on at least!

Dec 25, 2018
toy story 3 was an awesome game too, the Xbox 360 and PS3 version specifically. The PC was a wii port so it was pretty bad.

Buzzlight year of star command though, that game was so hard on PS1 lol

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that, but no these games were dead prior to the major mobile revolution

I think increased development times had a lot to do with it. Back in the 90s you could bash out a game in 18 months, but now it takes several years so it's not really viable to have a quality tie in ready for a movie launch.

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I think increased development times had a lot to do with it. Back in the 90s you could bash out a game in 18 months, but now it takes several years so it's not really viable to have a quality tie in ready for a movie launch.

I guess a solution to this could be to start development on the game as soon as (or maybe even before) a movie starts being filmed/made? But then I imagine there would have to be a lot of back and forth constantly between the developers and the filmmakers because the devs would need to know what the fuck is happening in the story of the movie to create a faithful tie-in lol.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I guess a solution to this could be to start development on the game as soon as (or maybe even before) a movie starts being filmed/made? But then I imagine there would have to be a lot of back and forth constantly between the developers and the filmmakers because the devs would need to know what the fuck is happening in the story of the movie to create a faithful tie-in lol.

Yeah, that and possible film studio meddling/restrictions causing headaches for the developers. Look at the last Marvel vs Capcom for example.

I like the idea of having games that are loose tie ins not needing to slavishly follow the film plot. Or games that go for a totally original plot.

It's straight up absurd how much money has been left on the table for Marvel games. The movies are basically video games already!

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Yeah, that and possible film studio meddling/restrictions causing headaches for the developers. Look at the last Marvel vs Capcom for example.

I like the idea of having games that are loose tie ins not needing to slavishly follow the film plot. Or games that go for a totally original plot.

It's straight up absurd how much money has been left on the table for Marvel games. The movies are basically video games already!

Kinda reminds me of the Shrek game that was a launch title for the original Xbox. It was supposed to be a tie-in for the first movie and came out around the same time, but the plot had absolutely NOTHING to do with the movie. Probably one of the most absurd tie-ins I've ever seen lol.

Supposedly it was a decent game though. While the following Shrek games followed the movies more closely, but kinda sucked as games. Or at least the 3rd one did.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Actually my first PSone game. I have pretty great memories of it.
I am pretty sure this was my first PlayStation game as well, when I got my PSone. Was the game bundled with the PSone or something?

But to the thread's question, I have it, and it's a great game. I would love to try the N64 version one day. A friend many years ago told me the 64 version only had static pictures instead of the FMV cutscenes of the PS version, but it had better graphics.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Used to play and enjoy the crap out of the N64 version. :D Don't know how well it aged, but I sure liked as a kid.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
A very fun platformer and in my opinion, one of the best movie-licensed games of that era.

Also, the OST is great.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I actually played the Game Boy Color game a lot lol

The PS1/N64 versions were great too.

I also had fun with Toy Story 3's video game as well as the first game on SNES.