• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
The year was 2001, and Stan needed some money. DC approached him with the idea of "reimagining" their iconic heroes, and never one to turn down a dollar, Stan put his formidable alliteration talents to good use, bringing us the heroic likes of Wayne Williams, Robert Rogers, Maria Mendoza, Len Lewis, Mary Maxwell, Ramon Raymond, Joanie Jordan, Robin...Robin, etc. etc.

The designs were really something, as well.

Batman-DC-Comics-Imagine-Stan-Lee-Wayne-Williams.jpg

51E695N0A5L.jpg

6174COjPU6L._AC_SY741_.jpg

0444fc7445f3ced8fff6eecf4db9030d-800.jpg

I remember being somewhat excited when this was announced, like most Wizard-reading idiots back then, but once I saw the final product I was left longing for simpler times, like Amalgam.

Stan Lee's DC Comics 'Just Imagine...' Stories, Ranked | CBR

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Are you high? It was great. Superman being a loser cop on his planet, comes to earth and becomes a superstar. Pearls before swine

OP
OP

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Are you high? It was great. Superman being a loser cop on his planet, comes to earth and becomes a superstar. Pearls before swine

Man I wish I could have enjoyed it overall, like you said there were some interesting ideas especially with Supes, Aquaman and Wonder Woman but the execution was just fucking terrible to me. Batman especially, I couldn't get over the design and the pet bat.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I dunno about "dumbass." Some of the books were better than others, and who knows how much actual work Stan put into any of them, but there is some great art to be seen and a couple of the alternate versions are kinda cool.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I'm not at all familiar with these, but the idea of writing DC characters with the Marvel voice seems like it has all kinds of possibilities.

MY only experience with the brand is the Jack Kirby shorts, which were amazing:

rfc0214.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Agreed, I own the hardcover omnibus! Wasnt this the first black batman too? Also Yddrysil lantern was a cool idea and I liked flash's outfit. Fusing Etrigan and Shazam was an interesting idea at least

OP
OP

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Orlok how do you feel about Tagent?

Was that the Jurgens thing? I don't know much about it honestly. I'll have to look into it.

I don't know exactly why the Lee stuff bothered me so much when it came out as my favorite stories are almost all Elseworlds titles or re-imaginings, I just didn't like the line at all. Maybe I should revisit them after two decades to see if they were legit bad or I just didn't connect with them at the time. It could also be that I've had a lifelong dislike for Stan Lee in general because I never saw him as anything more than a crook.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I find it blasphemous that Stan Lee did work for DC. This is like Miyamoto making a game for Sega in the 90s.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Stan Lee's later works proves how vital people like Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko was to his career.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2000s-era Stan Lee was not the man's finest hour, but the Just Imagine stuff ranks pretty high when you look at the whole decade.

819VFN7WFEL._SL1500_.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They were a mixed bag but were honestly interesting ideas over all. Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern were the best of them while the rest were a little more uninspired.

Definitely wouldn't call them "dumbass."

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I remember those comics, I thought they were pretty good. Was hoping they'd continue, especially the Batman and Shazam comics

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, why didn't I know about this? And I seen teh Gen 13 animated movie

How did you not know about the legendary Gormagga Kraal? I am currently taking a twitter poll as to which is better for a title, DJ Gormagga Kraal or MC Gormagga Kraal.

The two comics marvel published were this pilot and Solarman losing to Dr. Doom. lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever read the Flash and Catwoman ones, but I actually liked them (not that I really remember them lol)?