• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I do but then again I'm drunk. I can't trust myself to tell if it I'm worse or better.
Has a friend or family member actually ever told you you're better?

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
SorrowfulIncompleteAbyssiniangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

I've only played messed up a few times and every time I was terrible (still had fun though)

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Definitely not, I'm an absolute mess at video games if drunk or high. I lose focus either way and can't really play the game properly.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to play single player or co-op games high. I play PvP better when I'm tipsy.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There's a reason you don't get to drive cars when you're intoxicated. You might think it turns you into a better player if you're not sober, but it rarely would. But if you're having fun go for it, you're not going to kill anyone but yourself getting fucked up and holding a joypad ;-)

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
I don't play better but I don't think there's a better gaming experience to be had then being (very) high and playing VR.

I don't really play 2D games anymore since getting my Rift S. I mean, I didn't game that often to start with but nowadays my Friday and Saturday gaming is VR + weed exclusive.

Outer Wilds VR (mod) and being high...so many fun and scary surprises. I got eaten by a huge
fish
completely unexpectedly.

Also travelled through a
black hole
and survived.

OP
OP
Strangelove_77

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Destiny 2 at the moment and am doing really well during the contacts events.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
There's a limit and the line is thin, alcohol helps your game to a point because it removes your ability to second guess yourself. There's a certain point when you're drunk where you can see the matrix and pull off impossible combos, but go one drink above that and it absolutely ruins your abilities.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I always kind of disliked gaming while drunk. Fun with friends, but I rarely find I perform better.

Weed though, for sure. I still have fond memories playing Rage Racer on PS1 high off my gourd and beating the super-difficult Angel and Devil cars. Fuck I felt like I was on another plane of reflex handling those corners and courses.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
There's a limit and the line is thin, alcohol helps your game to a point because it removes your ability to second guess yourself. There's a certain point when you're drunk where you can see the matrix and pull off impossible combos, but go one drink above that and it absolutely ruins your abilities.

This is a 10/10 answer. Perfectly stated. I've experienced both sides of this divide a few times with Smash!

OP
OP
Strangelove_77

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't do a damn thing high. Alcohol makes me hyper active though. It's weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Drunk? Sometimes a good idea, but usually not. A mild buzz can give me a boost of confidence, which is helpful, but that's about it. Sloppy hands lead to sloppy controls. Basically, I can beat most Souls bosses after a few drinks, due to not overthinking my moves, but getting through an area full of hordes and traps is usually a mess.

High? Depends on the game. I love playing walking simulator type games when I'm zoinked, but it's immersion overload and I tend overlook fine details. FPS / shooter games are usually easier after smoking a bit, helps your focus/reflexes. 3rd person action/adventure games can sometimes be extremely puzzling when you're total baked potato, like finding a path or key item or something of that nature. Think Witcher 3 quests.

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I do go into a bit of a 'mode' sometimes. Especially in racing games. Like I become better at filtering out nonsense and focusing on the few important variables.

The same happens in other areas. Being social, being creative, playing pool.

There's definitely a fairly quick point at which it falls off though! Like there's a peak that comes fairly early, and beyond that I'm actually worse at all these things.

So it's something to keep at arms length really.

OP
OP
Strangelove_77

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do go into a bit of a 'mode' sometimes. Especially in racing games. Like I become better at filtering out nonsense and focusing on the few important variables.

The same happens in other areas. Being social, being creative, playing pool.

There's definitely a fairly quick point at which it falls off though! Like there's a peak that comes fairly early, and beyond that I'm actually worse at all these things.

So it's something to keep at arms length really.
im more or less the same way. Drinking gives me more energy for some reason. I focus more for some reason. Up to a point.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Weirdly enough....yeah I think so. I'll never understand it though. FPS and fighting games in General, even Demon's Souls of all games. I don't think i've ever gotten validation from friends though.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ive only played Jackbox, multiplayer games or Horror games when drunk.

I'm good at Jackbox intoxicated but the other two, well... 🤣Multiplayer games are a lot of fun drunk though, since I'm playing just to have fun and not super focused on winning.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone plays better while high or drunk. You think you do, but at that point your opinion doesn't hold much value, better ask another -sober- person in the room

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I always found I played better after a few beers but there's a fine line between just enough and too much. My performance would certainly increase up to a point but then quickly fade away after you reached that point and I'd play horribly for the rest of the night. Probably something to do with taking more risks, not overthinking situations, etc.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Drunk? Absolutely terrible at games
Stoned? I crushed people at Dayton USA in the arcade. I'd get in the zone, and just master every drift.

I miss smoking a fatty, and playing games.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
drunk fighting games are soooo fun but i usually just go for stupid callouts and silly plays.

i definitely wont play better but maybe ill do a few cool impractical combos LOL

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of my longest Rocket League winning streaks was done while drunk. Mixed results lmao

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I often play video games after a few drinks. As long as I'm not getting smashed I don't think it helps or hinders much. I played some of the boss battles in jedi fallen order high on cocaine. It definitely improves your reaction time, but only short term.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
When barcades were still a thing I swear I could hit this perfect level of tipsiness to get into an awesome flow while jamming on the Tetris cabinet.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
There's a confidence I gain within the first 30 minutes to an hour of light drinking that takes the edge off but it's a balance that tips the other way before long, where my ability depreciates and my confidence remains ardent so I begin to play like a fool. It's not something I notice with a lot of slower or singleplayer games where player skill doesn't necessarily factor in consistently; sometimes being impaired makes really hacky melodrama or writing in games a lot easier to be receptive too so it's almost a trade off where playing worse is made worth it. I don't drink often though.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. This is the same as those idiots who claim to be better drivers when drunk/high, these substances have a proven detrimental effect on skills required for gaming... You're probably taking more risks and only noticing when they pay off.

Jorav

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably worse while drunk but the care factor is diminished so I don't care if I suck while playing

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's amazing how much your reaction times are reduced when drinking. Trying to play something like Voez or Splatoon after a drink or two, I'm playing noticeably worse.

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
It always depends on substances. It's pointless discussion when generalized just to «high».

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I am almost always playing high and I am not bad. It is really great for SP games.
Better? Probably not.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I read this topic literally when I am about to get High and play some games after doing all the stuff I had to do today.

With Weed and Hash it is a real thin line indeed. The exact good amount and I am fully Immersed and too much and I zone out of the game.
Like playing a soccergame and in the meanwhile thinking about certain social interactions of the past both positive or negative. Often very funny thoughts but also often some slight paranoia thoughts. Situations that I could have handled better etc... Really fascinating how your brain reacts to stuff.

Racing games are great while High but I ain' t breaking lap records.. Online FPS games can be great although I quickly reach the point of slower reaction times and overthinking certain situations. When facing multiple enemies from different sides, which side do I pick first etc... the overthinking and hesitation is what gets me killed.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wipeout Zone while high makes me really good for some reason. The more I smoke, the better I get.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I've been sober for 8 years but I could definitely remember thinking I played better while I was drinking. Probably wasn't the case. I was probably just having a bunch of fun.