• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've seen a lot of PS5 reviews but no impressions at all about the quality of remote play. Have you seen any?

I know it only does up to 1080p, but I'd like to know if the compression and quality of the stream is better. As well as if lag is reduced over the PS4 remote play.

Last edited:

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I think remote play coverage is embargo'd still. Although giant bomb was talking about how video recorded by the ps5 was a much higher quality than that on PS4/Pro so hopefully video encoding / streaming is also improved. Wifi 6 should also be a boon if folks are using WiFi

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
I used the PlayStation App on my Android phone to connect to my PS5, and Remote Play worked beautifully at 1080p and 60 fps with a PS5 game (Spider-Man: Miles Morales) as well as a PS4 game (MLB The Show 20). I played both titles with a DualShock 4 paired to my phone via Bluetooth.

Of course, the latency involved in streaming a video game — even under ideal conditions, with my PS5 wired to my router and my phone on my 5 GHz home Wi-Fi network — made it nearly impossible to hit a fastball in MLB 20. But I was able to beat up gang members with no problem in Miles Morales. (Incidentally, Remote Play is a way to get around Sony's requirement that PS5 games be played with a PS5 controller.) And the cherry on top was playing these games on a mobile device in HDR, since my Samsung Galaxy S10's screen supports it.
www.polygon.com

All your burning PlayStation 5 questions, answered

The only PS5 FAQ you’ll ever need

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bumping this to say that PS5 remote play works remarkably well compared to PS4's. Granted it's the most ideal condition, but with both my PS5 and my PC connected over ethernet it's actually really slick playing my games in my work area when I don't want to go out to the living room where the PS5 is hooked up. Much less visual artifacts than you would've gotten on PS4 remote play, and the latency is remarkably good.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Bumping this to say that PS5 remote play works remarkably well compared to PS4's. Granted it's the most ideal condition, but with both my PS5 and my PC connected over ethernet it's actually really slick playing my games in my work area when I don't want to go out to the living room where the PS5 is hooked up. Much less visual artifacts than you would've gotten on PS4 remote play, and the latency is remarkably good.
Do you know if it works with Vita? I imagine it doesn't but I can still hope.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It works. It's not got a huge amount of latency and the video quality is fine. Not the ideal way to play, but if you've got a PS4 in a second room and the TV's occupied, it'll do!

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Sorry, I don't do impressions.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer remote play? How does that work?

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Valhalla for a few days already on my PS5 through PS4 Pro in bedroom, and I actually prefer to play it like this instead of native PS4 version.
Yes there are moments when the picture loses sharpness, but only because it obviously put the priority on reducing lag. The responsivity is great, better than on 30 fps PS4 game, and I'm constantly forgeting I'm actually on remote play.
Granted they are on the same network, though PS5 is cabled and PS4 is on Wifi. Over internet latency will sure increase a bit.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I use it to stream to my pc in my office so i can play as i work works wonderfully overall it looks as good as usinh 1080p on the tv and their is almost no input lag i do know if i download anything it does make it drop though.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does remote play from the PS5 to the PC handle HDR? It was terrible with the PS4 as it just messes up the colour of the image.