• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
SHIT... one thing I forgot to mention. I don't watch shows that are overly depressing or lack "good guys." My wife watches The Handmaidens Tale and that shit can kick rocks.

Oct 25, 2017
If you allow anime, Erased is fantastic. Murder mystery, 30 year-old is taken back to his childhood in the 80's to solve the murder of a childhood friend. (12 eps)

Run with the Wind is another great short watch, group of runners ranging from total novices to seasoned marathoners banding together to qualify and run in the biggest marathon relay race in Japan. (23 eps)

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
jPod

Zach Stone is Gonna be Famous
both are single seasons.

Galavant (two seasons but more people need to see it)

jPod is basically Canadian Mythic Quest, and Zach Stone is Bo Burnham being amazing with Biff Tannen as his dad.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ping Pong the animation is only 11 episodes long and has some of the best storytelling anime has to offer.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Welcome to the NHK is one of the best 1 season series I've ever seen. It's got some problematic elements, but it's a very compelling story about NEETs, Agoraphobia, paranoia and depression.

really really excellent.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Utopia (british show) ran for 12, 1 hour, amazing episodes in the span of two seasons. Some of the best TV ever, so stylish and gripping.

Also, Black Mirror used to be a brilliant two season series before Netlfix purchased it. Later seasons haven't been so hot, but the anthology nature of the series makes it so that you can watch as much as you want and still get a lot out of it, be it one episode, a couple seasons or the entire series.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'll edit it out, but people other than the OP use these sorts of threads for recommendations.
You don't have to edit it out but as far as your reasoning the OP's mention of it and apparent love of it to have purchased so many versions of it serves as a glowing recommendation to anyone that read the original post.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Going way back here, and I note that I've not seen it since it aired, but the first season of "Murder One" was pretty ace at the time.

The trick was a procedural that followed one big case for a whole season, instead of one case per episode. I think of it as a transition point from the self-contained episodes to today's multifaceted dramas.

Edit: 25 years ago? Jebus, I'm old.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Better Off Ted is two 13-episode seasons, so just barely out of your range, but it's quite funny. And they're 30 minute episodes.
Better Off Ted was a gem. It was so disappointing when it ended. The characters were amazing. The wackiness was amazing. And it sucks that there's a couple episodes that never aired or got put on the DVDs.

My pick is going to be controversial but I don't care. I loved the shit out of Cavemen. We never even got a choice of having a DVD set. It also has unaired episodes. I would pay for Blu-Rays.

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot this one earlier: Review was I think exactly 22 episodes long over three seasons, and ended on its own terms. I'm always kind of surprised this one doesn't have a bigger fanbase.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn better of Ted was on Netflix. I guess it got taken down.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm clearly biased, but Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is the best show ever. And it's only 6 episodes.

tumblr_lmasmiBQVh1qknevxo1_400.gifv

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderfalls
Channel Zero - each season is short and standalone, Butcher's Block is the best.
Marianne
Black Spot aka Zone Blanche - 16 episodes across two seasons, sadly I'm not hopeful for a third
The Haunting of Hill House

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Homecoming on Amazon Prime. Each episode is 30 mins long, 10 episodes total. Incredibly shot and paced show.
Honestly ignore season 2. It's not relevant. Season 1 is self contained. I'm not bullshitting you either. Season 1 has a begging, middle and end.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a post ages ago detailing great UK series - and given UK series lengths, I suspect many of these would fit the bill for you:

I have an old megapost of Great UK Drama Series - operating on the premise that a UK-length drama would probably fit the 'miniseries' mould you're after! - that I'll dig out:

Life on Mars [IMDB: 8.3] (Plus the followup series, Ashes to Ashes [IMDB: 8.2])
Hustle [IMDB: 8.2]
Spooks [IMDB: 8.3] (MI:5 over in the US).
Cracker [IMDB: 8.5]
House of Cards [IMDB: 8.6] (The original. Plus the followup series, To Play The King [IMDB: 8.5] and The Final Cut [IMDB: 8.2])
GBH [IMDB: 8.8]
The Singing Detective [IMDB: 8.8]
Our Friends In The North [IMDB: 8.7]
This Life [IMDB: 8.6]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet [IMDB: 8.6]
Boys from the Blackstuff [IMDB: 8.7]
Takin' Over The Asylum [IMDB: 8.9]
Edge of Darkness [IMDB: 8.6]
Talking Heads [IMDB: 8.6] (Talking Heads 2: [IMDB: 8.7])
Messiah [IMDB: 8.0]
State of Play [IMDB: 8.5]
Call the Midwife [IMDB: 8.4] (Not for everyone, of course, but it's really not as twee as the premise sounds!)
Sherlock [IMDB: 9.2]
Happy Valley [IMDB: 8.5]
Line of Duty [IMDB: 8.4]
The Night Manager [IMDB: 8.2]
Black Mirror [IMDB: 8.9]
Inside No. 9 [IMDB: 8.4] (An anthology series, so somewhat patchy, but the second episode of series 2 - The Twelve Days Of Christine - is phenomenal [IMDB: 9.3])
Being Human [IMDB: 7.8]
In The Flesh [IMDB: 8.1]
The Wrong Mans [IMDB: 7.9] (Strictly speaking, it's a comedy, but it's a parody of thrillers that is, in turn, actually quite a good thriller in itself)
Taboo [IMDB: 8.9]
Broadchurch [IMDB: 8.4]
Death in Paradise [IMDB: 7.9] (Light detective series set on a carribean island. Not terribly gritty, but good escapism)
The Missing [IMDB: 8.2]
Luther [IMDB: 8.6]

I haven't yet got into the Scandi-drama craze that's going on a lot here, but the big names I've heard of in that regard:
The Killing [IMDB: 8.4]
The Bridge [IMDB: 8.6]
Borgen [IMDB: 8.5]

In terms of ones from that that are currently a going concern, Line of Duty has just ended its fifth series, and while I've not yet got into it myself, seems to consistently get huge buzz whenever it's on.

Things that are newer than when I made this list that are worthy of note:

Fleabag
Killing Eve
Maybe Gentleman Jack (It's only just begun but it's getting pretty good word of mouth)
Maybe Years and Years (Similar)
The Bodyguard
Baptiste (The follow-up to The Missing)

I can't actually vouch for all of these directly, but they're all series that clearly caught peoples' imagination when they were broadcast.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Pushing Daisies is 22 episodes from beginning to (admittedly rushed) end.

Pushing-Daisies-Still.jpg

You should ignore all other recommendations and watch that instead.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Hulu recently put up a show called The Great, about Catherine the Great. It's a lot of fun and only 10 episodes.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Over the Garden Wall and Infinity Train from Cartoon Network are super short if you're into animation at all.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Remember this gif?

It's from an amazingAussie TV comedy called Danger 5. Only 13 episodes total, and completely appropriate for the times.