• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
ph09tfN.jpg

I have a Samsung Note 9 with a built in stylus, and thought it would make a good SRPG machine. Any recommendations?

I had Agarest 0 on my last phone but can't seem to download it anymore more; seems like it's delisted? What are the other ones in the series like?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I also been playing games on Note 9 lately, and the games that support it are great. Its like having a mouse.

I would recommend going another route though and getting Torment: Planescape, and Baldur's Gate. Unfotunately Baldur's Gate 2, and Icewind Dale are not on the store right now, but should be back up soon.

As for Final Fantasy Tactics, is that portrait only?

Also do keep in mind a lot of games does not support the pen.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I also been playing games on Note 9 lately, and the games that support it are great.

I would recommend going another route though and getting Torment: Planescape, and Baldur's Gate. Unfotunately Baldur's Gate 2, and Icewind Dale are not on the store right now, but should be back up soon.

As for Final Fantasy Tactics, is that portrait only?

Also do keep in mind a lot of games does not support the pen.
I didn't know there were games that natively supported the pen. I'm familiar with the Infinity Engine games and will check them out. Any others worthwhile with the pen?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure the Shining Force games are on Android. They're a little dated, but a good fit for mobile.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Pretty sure the Shining Force games are on Android. They're a little dated, but a good fit for mobile.
Found Shining Force Classic. This comes with:
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness

The last Shining Force I played was Shining the Holy Ark on the Saturn. The above download is free but with adds. I'll check them out, at least to see if the controls have translated well.

BTW, just downloaded:
Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL
Fire Emblem Heroes

This should get me started. Any other recommendations, especially hidden gems or exclusives are welcome.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Is there a way to force FFT WOTL to run at 60fps on a Note 9?
Are you getting slowdown issues? Check how much available memory you still have on your Note 9.

I have the 8 GB Note 9, and with normal usage, have around 2 GB free. If you have the 6 GB Note 9, it may be running low. AFAICS, the framerate for camera movements is smooth.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Also picked up this:
NFLur8F.jpg

bVHcYFg.jpg
2tDxeu0.jpg
F1L6Ib2.jpg
TWENbme.jpg
jiab5Yf.jpg

Langrisser.

It's a bit like Fire Emblem, and I've been having some fun with it. Has good production values - is rather pretty and snappy to play. Anyone else try it?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Are you getting slowdown issues? Check how much available memory you still have on your Note 9.

I have the 8 GB Note 9, and with normal usage, have around 2 GB free. If you have the 6 GB Note 9, it may be running low. AFAICS, the framerate for camera movements is smooth.

Not slowdown. Just shitty frame rate. Choppy animation. I'll check.

OP
OP
j^aws

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I also been playing games on Note 9 lately, and the games that support it are great. Its like having a mouse.

They're back! Just checked the Android store and both Baldur's Gate 2 EE and Icewind Dale EE are available again.

On topic: Since the thread began, I downloaded a bunch of random games and whilst most are time fillers, I discovered a few enjoyable SRPGs:

- Warbands Bushido
This is a stylish tabletop-style game with a hex-based grid. Has some tricky maps populated with great looking units.

- Romance of the Three Kingdoms: The Legend of CaoCao
This is a well done remake and works great on mobile with a stylus. Top-down maps with square grids that can get fairly large.

- Clash of Warlords
This feels like the old Heroes of Might and Magic games. Has a fog of war with hex-based grid for combat.

- Codex of Victory
This is more like an Advance Wars style game with futuristic units in 3D and a hex-based grid.

- Fantasy War Tactics R
Really well animated isometric style SRPG in the vein of FFT. Plays very fast and smoothly, and makes FFT feel sluggish.

- Arcane Quest 3
This is more like a 3D turn-based dungeon crawler in the vein of DnD.

- Warhammer Quest 2
Another dungeon crawler in the Warhammer universe, but with more a top-down view.

- Langrisser Mobile
Remake that plays like Fire Emblem - plays very smoothly and fast with great customisation. Prefer it to Fire Emblem Heroes.

There are plenty more out there on the store, but most good ones are buried amongst the shovelware.