• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trying to battle the corona virus. Quarantined in a spare bedroom with my PC. Feel lousy and I just need some arcadey dungeon loot action on PC.
I already own Gauntlet 2014. Any reccomendations?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, GDL is one of my favorite games of all time. Hundreds of hours, literally incredible and nothing else like it.

I'll say, the closest you'll get is stuff on the OG xbox. Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Dungeons and Dragons and Heroes and Hunter the Reckoning 1 and 2.

I think Seven Sorrows and The remake are traaaash

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
There's that Gauntlet reboot. It's not perfect, but it's ok-ish. Glad to see someone mentioned BG: Dark Alliance. God those were great.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap I loved that game. Played the n64 and GameCube versions to DEATH.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Always interesting to see how well loved this game is. It's one of my favourite games of all time. Critics didn't seem to dig it too much. A simpler time, I'd say.

Never found anything like it to be honest. Watching this thread intently.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't think it's on PC but I enjoyed the Everquest Isometric Diablo-likes on PS2. My friends and I had a blast with those.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, OP? Me too.

I don't actually remember Gauntlet Dark Legacy very much, I'm way more about the arcade and NES OG, but I'm definitely in the mood for a good, fairly light, action RPG.

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of overhead action-RPGs out there, but none I can think of that have that Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy style; instead they're always loot-based games that are based more off of Diablo, sometimes mixed with some classic Gauntlet as you see in, say, Hammerwatch. But Gauntlet Legends? A 3d overhead action-RPG with a level-based design; great, very well designed stages full of secrets to find,; having some stuff to collect but not a full-on loot based game; mostly ranged combat for all classes, and more? As in, the Gauntlet Legends formula that we only saw in Legend and Dark Legacy.

Unfortunately, if any other games are quite like them I can't think of it. Games like Nine Parchments, Gauntlet 2014, and Hammerwatch are definitely fun and worth playing but they're no Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy. (I haven't played Heroes of Hammerwatch, I'm talking about the first one.)

OP
OP
Chixdiggit

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not the same.
There are a lot of overhead action-RPGs out there, but none I can think of that have that Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy style; instead they're always loot-based games that are based more off of Diablo, sometimes mixed with some classic Gauntlet as you see in, say, Hammerwatch. But Gauntlet Legends? A 3d overhead action-RPG with a level-based design; great, very well designed stages full of secrets to find,; having some stuff to collect but not a full-on loot based game; mostly ranged combat for all classes, and more? As in, the Gauntlet Legends formula that we only saw in Legend and Dark Legacy.

Unfortunately, if any other games are quite like them I can't think of it. Games like Nine Parchments, Gauntlet 2014, and Hammerwatch are definitely fun and worth playing but they're no Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy.
Afraid of that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll start with Minecraft Dungeons and Hammerwatch.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Dude, GDL is one of my favorite games of all time. Hundreds of hours, literally incredible and nothing else like it.

I'll say, the closest you'll get is stuff on the OG xbox. Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Dungeons and Dragons and Heroes and Hunter the Reckoning 1 and 2.

I think Seven Sorrows and The remake are traaaash
Champions of Norrath and Champions return to arms are also pretty great

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Man I burned myself out so bad by playing that game a ton when I was a kid. Thinking about playing it now sends chills up my spine.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Have to buy it physical, but Get Medieval is a good Gauntlet clone on PC.
919x3ELxlmL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Surprised there aren't a bunch of Gauntlet Legends/ Dark Legacy clones.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Loved it as a kid, great times with my brother and friends, and we did beat whatever the name of the final boss is who you need the runestones to face...but man it does not hold up at all these days. The gameplay is so simplistic and monotonous, IMO. Fun for nostalgia but after 10 min I get bored.

That said it had some incredible level names: "you are now entering...your worst nightmare!"

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
GDL is truly one of the ugliest, jankiest games ever made that I absolutely loved and played the fuck out of with my siblings when it came out.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Supposed to come out next year. (dont mind the First Person mode, that was just a weird design teaser)

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
The Dark Alliance games are Diablo clones. It's crazy thinking about it that there are really no 3d Gauntlet clones. All you need are stages with secret exits, bosses, monster generators, with a variety of classes with leveling. Death, shooting food and items are optional, just bring on the 3d Gauntlet clones!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is on PS2 and actually uses the same engine as Baldurs gate dark alliance.

Man, I have great memories playing Norrath with a friend. This game gave quite the spin to my PS2. It's not even in my collection, so thanks for the reminder, I could see me playing with that same friend through Parsec.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, get well OP!

I feel like they released a Gauntlet for modern consoles few years ago but I'm not sure if it's good.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'd give anything for a re-release of Gauntlet Dark Legacy. I loved that game so much. I even still have the pewter figures that came with the physical release on consoles.
Sadly, for me nothing else has captured that same magic.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Nothing fills that void. NOTHING. The reboot could not compare in the slightest. One day I'm going to hope Warner Bros just acknowledges the demand for rereleasing the best parts of their back catalog, Gauntlet included

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Trying to battle the corona virus. Quarantined in a spare bedroom with my PC. Feel lousy and I just need some arcadey dungeon loot action on PC.
I already own Gauntlet 2014. Any reccomendations?
I'm assuming you know that Dark Legacy is a sequel to Gauntlet Legends? If you're willing to go backwards and want more Gauntlet, that's a good one.

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance was a super fun game from the same era as Dark Legacy and feels extremely similar.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Nothing fills that void. NOTHING. The reboot could not compare in the slightest. One day I'm going to hope Warner Bros just acknowledges the demand for rereleasing the best parts of their back catalog, Gauntlet included

Yep. It's been almost two decades and nothing matches the king.

I'm assuming you know that Dark Legacy is a sequel to Gauntlet Legends? If you're willing to go backwards and want more Gauntlet, that's a good one.

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance was a super fun game from the same era as Dark Legacy and feels extremely similar.

Basically all of Legends' content is in Dark Legacy iirc

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I haven't thought about or played this game in closer to 20 years, but reading the thread title sent a huge rush of nostalgia. Honestly, no other "dungeon crawler"-esque game has ever really been as fun for me, mainly because they are loot/gear/stat/skill-tree bonazas rather than just the pure arcade fun that this game was.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I really loved that game too and it's not quite as good but the Gauntlet game on PS4 got pretty close, especially if you can get some friends together to play online.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I put a ton of hours into Heroes of Hammerwatch on Switch, granted its more akin to OG Gauntlet than Legends/Dark Legacy. That game is a timesink.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I loved Dark Legacy. I got it for my son on PS2. His mother and I used to stay up playing it all night then we would turn it off quickly when he woke up. One day, he was playing it with a friend when he discovered our max level saves. He was so confused. Lol.

To be honest, Diablo 3 is the thing that has come closest to scratching my Gauntlet itch.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
If you've got a group to play with there's Helldivers from the Gauntlet 2014 devs, but it kinda sucks solo or with randoms.

Last edited:

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Wow, I remember playing with my neighbors Coop till dawn. Such a great time. Always loved the "Red Warrior, needs food badly!" Such fond memories.

On topic, I have not found a game that substitutes this. Maybe Diablo 3? But I'll definitely check some of the games mentioned here.

OP
OP
Chixdiggit

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I put a ton of hours into Heroes of Hammerwatch on Switch, granted its more akin to OG Gauntlet than Legends/Dark Legacy. That game is a timesink.

I really liked the old games as well and this looks pretty great. Picked it up on Switch as well. Bonus that I had a ton of points to cash in.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I loved Dark Legacy. I got it for my son on PS2. His mother and I used to stay up playing it all night then we would turn it off quickly when he woke up. One day, he was playing it with a friend when he discovered our max level saves. He was so confused. Lol.

To be honest, Diablo 3 is the thing that has come closest to scratching my Gauntlet itch.
this is incredible lmao

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I've been wishing for a dark legacy remaster forever, one of my favorite games on PS2, dumped sooooo much time into it with my brother and friends.

While it isn't the same and doesn't COMPLETELY fulfill the desire for DL, Diablo 3 is probably the closest I've got to a game feeling like that did.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There was a thread about games you'd like to to play that are similar to games you like a few months back, and I said Legends/Dark Legacy, but had no replies.

I really can't think of any though. Get Medieval was a good clone of the pre Legends Gauntlet games, but there's nothing like Legends or Dark Legacy, and it's such a shame. Stuff like D3 has the sort of isometric co-op RPG stuff, but it's way too loaded with story stuff, going from point a to point b, inventory management etc. whereas the 3D Gauntlet games were level based and super arcade like in structure. It was just a bunch of themed, well designed levels with lots of secrets, and a light level up system and shop that you access in the hub world for special abilities.

I feel like everything that's vaguely similar suffers from character management stuff, and while that's not bad in single player, when you have 3 or 4 people all spending like 10 minutes at a time sorting out all their character upgrades, picking the best equipment, selling stuff they don't need, transmogging certain equipment etc. it becomes a case of 50% menus, 40% watching other people do menus, 10% having fun.

OP
OP
Chixdiggit

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There was a thread about games you'd like to to play that are similar to games you like a few months back, and I said Legends/Dark Legacy, but had no replies.

I really can't think of any though. Get Medieval was a good clone of the pre Legends Gauntlet games, but there's nothing like Legends or Dark Legacy, and it's such a shame. Stuff like D3 has the sort of isometric co-op RPG stuff, but it's way too loaded with story stuff, going from point a to point b, inventory management etc. whereas the 3D Gauntlet games were level based and super arcade like in structure. It was just a bunch of themed, well designed levels with lots of secrets, and a light level up system and shop that you access in the hub world for special abilities.

I feel like everything that's vaguely similar suffers from character management stuff, and while that's not bad in single player, when you have 3 or 4 people all spending like 10 minutes at a time sorting out all their character upgrades, picking the best equipment, selling stuff they don't need, transmogging certain equipment etc. it becomes a case of 50% menus, 40% watching other people do menus, 10% having fun.
Great summary of why Diablo 3 does not scratch the same itch.
these maybe. or not. not sure

but none are exactly like gauntlet

Unfortunately, if any other games are quite like them I can't think of it. Games like Nine Parchments, Gauntlet 2014, and Hammerwatch are definitely fun and worth playing but they're no Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy. (I haven't played Heroes of Hammerwatch, I'm talking about the first one.)
Thanks for everyone recommending Heroes of Hammerwatch. Been playing it all day. While it's not exactly what I was looking for it's an awesome take on the old Gauntlet games that I love.

Also if anyone has VR I just remembered Trickster. Basically a VR take on Dark Legacy.
store.steampowered.com

Trickster VR: Co-op Dungeon Crawler on Steam

A procedurally generated fantasy adventure, starring floating islands, epic loot and a horde of orcs! Try your skills against orcish combat expertise, ancient magic and ragtag airships!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Basically all of Legends' content is in Dark Legacy iirc
OOOOH. I didn't know that, that's awesome.

I always played it at my buddies and we did the new stuff. I had read that it was a direct sequel to Legends but had no idea it basically had Legends within it. I need to buy my own copy.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
good you found something you enjoy
it also occurred to me, this one is also a bit like gauntlet