• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

One (or more) of Katana Zero, Super Mario Odyssey, and Streets of Rage 4 might squeeze in upon further deliberation.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If "last gen" means: Wii U, 3DS, PS4, XB1, then Kid Icarus Uprising probably makes it in for sure.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i feel like at least celeste and hollow knight, and botw definitely up there but it's a competitive space. lots of amazing games the past decade though that's for sure!

ShackD

Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata, Persona 5, Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception & Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Uncharted 4 all ended up in my top 10 (prob top 5 as well).

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Sea of Thieves for sure - probably top 3/5 for me. Probably would add Battlefield 1 and Titanfall.

Very few games have made some lasting memories like Sea of Thieves has. Really up there with Tribes/Tribes 2 for me in terms of that but for different reasons.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Doom and A Link between Worlds. Half of my top ten from this gen.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Outer Wilds
Return of the Obra Dinn or BOTW are high up and maybe have a chance for Top 10.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Doom Eternal, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and maybe BOTW. The latter is definitely a borderline case.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Bloodborne and probably God of War too

On a side note, Jill from RE3R and Ellie from TLOU2 are probably in my top 10 video game characters now

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Rocket League & Bloodborne for sure. There might be more that I haven't considered but those two are definitely deserving.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
If any probably Persona 5 and Nier Automata, but I don't have a top 10 list to begin with.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Bloodborne absolutely, maybe Final Fantasy XIV if that counts. Other strong contenders are Soulcalibur VI and Rainbow Six Siege.

Apr 21, 2018
*checks my list

Breath of the Wild is #2
Mario Kart 8 was replaced by Deluxe at #5
SSB:Ultimate replaced Melee at #7
TLOU2 at #16
Splatoon 2 at #24
Kid Icarus Uprising at #27

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher 3, for certain. Top 5, even.
For Honor as well, my most played game of all time. Total Warhammer II, probably - it reinvigorated my love of the Total War series and ended up becoming my most played title in the franchise.

Bloodborne, possibly. It and Dark Souls III are basically tied neck-and-neck in my book, I'm not sure if there would be enough room in the top 10.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Celeste
Splatoon 2
Hollow Knight
Mario Odyssey
Mortal Kombat 11
Dead by Daylight

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely BOTW. Maybe Overwatch, I know it's not really in the public sphere as much nowadays but that game still makes me want to play it, four years later. I still haven't played Bloodborne (or any Souls game really) but I am more understanding of the "git gud" mentality now and want to get to it. Honestly, last gen I really got into multiplayer experiences (Smash 4, Overwatch, Gears 4, Destiny, etc.) so I missed a lot of the big ones that I'm slowly circling back to now.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
No probably has with my age to do but one close:

MGSV - if act 2 would have been like act 1, or just a finished game

Did not play many games though

Tack

Oct 30, 2017
Rdr2
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Firewatch
Life is Strange 2
Soma
Dishonored 2
Alien: Isolation
Uncharted 4
(I haven't played tlou2 yet, but it will probably be a top ten)
Rainbow Six Siege
Overwatch

It was a great gen.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Witcher 3 is easily top five for me.

GOW, TLOU2, RDR2 and some others are really, really high up there but I'm not sure if enough to knock others out of my 'top 10'.

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
God of War #1 GOAT
Rocket League
The Witness

TLOU2 might just edge into the top 10 as well.

jsatk

Jan 2, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Yes. Bloodborne. Life-changing game for me and got me into the Souls series. From there I've played almost everything including the FromSoftware titles as well as the excellent indies.

Other than that I'd put Celeste, Destiny 2, and FFXIV (if that counts?) in my top 20 at least, but not sure if they'd edge into my top 10.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
BoTW, God of War, RD2, and possibly Sekiro.

BoTW might be the best game I've ever played topping Mario 3 and Galaxy.

GoW and RD2 were masterpieces.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
God of War and The Witcher 3.
Also Factorio, but not sure I would classify it as "last Gen" considering it is PC only, but was released during that time.

OP
OP
trimin

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Era, what kind of game do you think it would take to dethrone your top game?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Every time a thread like this pops up, I am reminded that I don't keep an all-time top 10 list.

I wonder if I could even fabricate one with some deep thinking.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
None for me, but admittedly my top 10's pretty tough to crack.

Closest candidates were Witcher 3 and Personal 5 Royal (I have them slotted in at 22 and 23, respectively).

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2.

No shade towards last gen though, it was amazing overall.