• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Grim Fandango is a cool game but I needed a guide for every single puzzle because of how obtuse they were.
Unlike the OP, this is actually a good example. I die on the hill and say that Grim Fandango is a bad game. The puzzle design is absolutely atrocious. It's obtuse frustrating and basically requires a guide. The characters and world is nice, but that can't save it when the level design is this awful. Grim Fandango is the perfect example for the thread title.

But no OP, nothing about RE2 requires a guide.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the original FF7 currently and finding myself constantly looking things up. Sometimes it's that the backgrounds are kind of hard to navigate, sometimes I have no idea what a particular minigame out of the millions thrown at you is actually requiring, and sometimes a particular puzzle is so obtuse I have no idea how I'd have figured it out on my own (assembling a password by first finding an out-of-place book and then counting the number of letters indicated by the volume number to find the correct letter).

It's a really enjoyable game still and I can look over its flaws for how groundbreaking it was at the time but goddamn, I can see why a remake is so appealing for a lot of people.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Just played through RE2 and I know it's a remake of an old game but I had to use a guide to look up some stuff because I didn't know what to do.
What parts of RE2 did you have to use a guide for?
I genuinely can't think of anything which would require it.

I'm not. I just think if almost everyone is using guides then why not make the game have a mode accessible enough to not need a guide. If I had to have a web page open to explain a movie for me I'd think there was something wrong with the movie storytelling too.
It's a big assumption on your part that "everyone uses guides" - especially as the first step when met with even the slightest amount of challenge.

Monkey Island remaster on PC has a "hint" button and if you cliked it enough it would just point the way for you lol
I think that's cool, since many of these games can be impossible sometimes.
I literally beat Monkey Island on my own when I was five.
We didn't have the internet back then, and I didn't have a guide.

Solving puzzles is the gameplay for a game like that. What's the point of using a guide?
Sure, later adventure games had "puzzles" which were simply ridiculous, like the infamous Gabriel Knight 3 moustache, but that doesn't apply to Monkey Island.

If your immediate response to any amount of challenge is to look up the solution, how are you supposed to improve?

I'm really not the smartest at point'n'clicks but aside from a couple of puzzles I don't recall GF being particularly obtuse..
I have not revisited it since '98, but my memory of Grim Fandango is that it was "one of the bad ones".
It's the first adventure game I can remember playing with really obtuse puzzles, and I don't think I ever finished it.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The game that came to mind immediately for me when I read this thread's title was Minecraft. Recently, someone here posted about a Japanese YouTuber named Piropito, who did a truly blind playthrough with absolutely no foreknowledge (playlist here). It ended up watching the whole thing because it was super entertaining, but it really did remind me just how unreasonably impossible it is to figure out certain things in Minecraft. Like, the guy spends ages trying to build a Nether Portal, using very solid logic and intuitive thinking, looking for hints in the structures around the world, and so on, but... None of that helps at all, you just have to guess, pretty much.

I will say, though, that the game has become far less reliant on guides over time. Back when I played the game, there was no recipe menu, for example. You just had to throw literally everything into the grid in every possible combination to find out what you could craft into what. There were no achievements pointing in the right direction, either. Those two things alone added a ton of user-friendliness to the game's design. I've also heard they're adding ruined nether portal structures into the game soon; anyone doing the same thing as Piropito will have a much better hint from now on, I guess!

But still, you get the point. It's a game essentially made with a wiki in mind. Just look at the most popular mod packs -- it's become a standard feature for them to include an in-game reference book, and/or allow you to search a list of every item and its source through the inventory UI. Even with all that, though, most big mods still have mechanics you can only look up on wikis. It's just that kind of game, at every level of play.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
or you're just a bad player.

I played RE2 and never got stuck anywhere. I can guarantee you don't make any notes when you explore and come across stuff.

bad game...lol. Aren't you an entitled one.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I think that's an overly simplified take. Everything shouldn't be immediately apparent and getting stumped is quite natural. If we're all confused in the exact same area you might have an argument, but I've used guides for Mario games at times.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Any game that has passcodes for doors or safes I will always look up. Spending 20 minutes looking for a combo for something that's already in front of me is a no-go.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Final Fantasy 12.

If you open a chest at the beginning of the game, you miss out on a characters ultimate weapon at the end of the game.

That was the biggest FU ever from a gaming company.

How is anyone, without a guide, supposed to know that?

From now on, any RPG I use guides or online guides.

You ever thought that maybe you are just not supposed to know? 🤔

OP
OP
Buenoblue

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Some very solid points to consider here. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older and don't want to be aimlessly wandering. I still maintain that by most modern games standards RE2 is pretty hard and obscure. And some games are still far too obscure for there own good. I guess if guides are readily available it's no harm if you need too use them or not. I do consider my intelligence to be quite high and I've played hundreds if not thousands of games and some are just unsolvable without guides.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I use a guide for scary games (when I attempt to play them). I like the atmosphere but I don't like being scared lol.
I like to know when the scary stuff is coming. Without it I couldn't play them.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Normally I don't get too annoyed by using a guide but hiding the best weapon behind not opening four chests in the game was bullshit, FF XII.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Buenoblue OP, without deflecting by saying "actually many people found it hard", which parts of RE2 did you personally actually find so hard you needed to use a guide?

I'm just curious.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Weird to use RE2 as an example of this. I was expecting a JRPG.

A recent example of this is Personal 5 Royal. I saw on the OT that someone missed out on the new content because they didn't rank up a certain character before a deadline. This info is easy to find if you Google "how to unlock new content" but the game does not tell you explicitly to do this... I think. So that player wasted 80~ hours playing the exact same story as vanilla Persona 5! Same case with the real ending of Persona 4 Golden though that was on NG+ so you probably were using a guide.

A lot of JRPG devs just assume players will want to replay their games.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Call of Duty and most FPS games fits this to a tee.

hmmm... Not really. Even if you're thinking of the campaign there are still guides for collectibles.

Basically anything that have secrets would result in someone needing a guide.

Then if you count multiplayer people will be looking up guides for "best weapon in the game" or "Best place to camp" or "weapon drops location".

Anything that remotely requires a strategy of some kind.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Bravo my man. But Im willing to bet your in the minority and most people used a guide for that game at some point.
Why do you believe this? There's really nothing in the game complicated enough that you would need to use a guide. The hardest puzzle is maybe the sewer one and that's just if you're really impatient. RE2 is simply not a good example. I thought this was gonna be something like the FFX-2 perfect ending, the Zodiac weapon's in the original XII, or the original Siren.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
You know, sometimes i am just too dumb or not really into investing all that time. Guides are very important to increase the accessibility and visibility of secondary content.

I don't think OP is complaining that people use guides. I think they're complaining about games that are obtuse in ways that make it hard for someone who didn't want to use a guide. That means loads of extra narrative content gated behind seemingly arbitrary decisions.

So I feel on a personal level that guides make my experience of playing a game less fun, especially if I end up checking thee guide repeatedly. If I do a search for a game and find that there is no major missable content, I won't use a guide and I'll be much happier.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
There are definitely obtuse games out there, but RE2 isn't one of them. It's very straight-forward; I mean the in-game map straight up tells you where you've missed items so I can't see how anyone could possibly get lost. If you can't solve the puzzles or run out of the extremely generous amounts of ammo the game gives you, well, that's on you.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Would also disagree, what many people saying about lowest common denominators is very true, but there's also the reality that people game in very different ways. A lot of people skip tutorials or flavour text, skip though text boxes and just expect to pick up the details as they go. Mostly it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

It depends on design philosophy too and expectation setting. Modern games are way more emphatic about signposting the route through a game - right down to giving you a constant marker to follow on screen - but that doesn't mean that more subtle design philosophies, that only give more generalised advice, are bad. It's a problem of expectation setting.

Most games have a languages for doing this and the more familiar you are with the language the less you'll struggle.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My personal opinion is that if I need a guide to finish the main story of your game, its not well designed. And I do mean instances where I run into a brick wall with no hints on what to do or where to go next. Not necessarily the complexity of a puzzle or the difficulty of an enemy. Since those things are tied to player intelligence/awareness/skill. I'm talking about those grim fandango moments. Where it's really obtuse what you have to do with the items you have. Or when in an open world game they tell you to find the special key but only give a general area of where to go (i.e it's to the north). I use a guide in these cases but man do I get pissed when I read up on it and I say to myself "how was I supposed to figure this out". Could I have figured it out? Maybe. It would have taken hours (assuming I didnt already spend a few hours trying to figure it out). I dont run into this too often now. I think games have gotten way better about this and I definitely pick my games with a little more research involved beforehand.

Side note: fuck ffxii for that stupid zodiac spear. Still one of the reasons I dislike that game.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I use guides constantly. I still have fun. Some people are different than you, OP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
RE2 remake? Really? I mean the game is as self explanatory as it gets, if anything it's too streamlined after a certain point. The game only has 3(4 for Claire) puzzles, and they are extremely basic and easy to figure out. I might understand if you were playing RE1 remake for the first time, as it can be obtuse and not many people are up to the challenge of figuring everything out themselves, but RE2 remake...I honestly don't see how you can get stuck at any point, the path forward is probably the most obvious it's ever been in any RE of it's kind, it even pops up with main objectives like "Find the 3 medallions for the maiden statue" and throws it up on your screen for the first time (something I actually dislike since it seems like idiot-proofing, alas...) then of course the map flat out tells you rooms that have items you've missed, which doors are still locked. I feel like you have to be trying really hard at not paying attention to get stuck in a game like that.

I do consider my intelligence to be quite high
discord-thinking-emoji-png-5.png

Last edited:

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I think Clock Tower: Ghost Head/Struggle Within was designed to sell walkthrough guides. It's mind-boggling how obtuse that game is

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
RE2 remake? Really? I mean the game is as self explanatory as it gets, if anything it's too streamlined after a certain point. The game only has 3(4 for Claire) puzzles, and they are extremely basic and easy to figure out. I might understand if you were playing RE1 remake for the first time, as it can be obtuse and not many people are up to the challenge of figuring everything out themselves, but RE2 remake...I honestly don't see how you can get stuck at any point, the path forward is probably the most obvious it's ever been in any RE of it's kind, it even pops up with main objectives like "Find the 3 medallions for the maiden statue" and throws it up on your screen for the first time (something I actually dislike since it seems like idiot-proofing, alas...) then of course the map flat out tells you rooms that have items you've missed, which doors are still locked. I feel like you have to be trying really hard at not pay attention to get stuck in a game like that.

discord-thinking-emoji-png-5.png

To be fair RE2R does have more puzzles than the original RE2 from what I remember. Game was always the easiest and most streamlined of the original trilogy in a lot of ways.

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe not a visual guide or whatever but you'll definitely need to look up stuff like punishes for your character and combos etc. You're also not going to learn stuff like KBD on your own. Unless you mean playing them at an extremely casual, button mashing level.
You really don't. If you're gonna talk about being elite competitively you can say you need a guide for every game imaginable for speedrun strats or whatever. Fact is you don't need to know that stuff to play or finish a game. Christ most people that play Tekken don't even bother looking at the in game movelists and get than enough mileage from the game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not a visual guide or whatever but you'll definitely need to look up stuff like punishes for your character and combos etc. You're also not going to learn stuff like KBD on your own. Unless you mean playing them at an extremely casual, button mashing level.
They're badly designed in a way, yes. In 2020 we shouldn't have to be looking up stuff like frame data for example, or paying for it in Tekken's case. DOA has done it since at least 5, DBFZ does it now too. There's no excuse. Fighting game tutorials aren't very good for the most part.

Oct 28, 2017
While we're talking about fighting game tutorals, I will give a little opinion about that. A fighting game tutoral can be super in depth but due to the complexity of it all I will pretty much ignore most tutorials anyway. When there's all these systems and stuff I'm just like......meh too much information lets just start playing press some buttons I'll be fine. And usually I am fine....as long as the single player options are decent enough. But I'd know that before playing anyway.

Good tutorials bad tutorials.....fighting games are complicated. So I uncomplicate them and still get my mileage from them and I'm not the only one to do that.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
You really don't. If you're gonna talk about being elite competitively you can say you need a guide for every game imaginable for speedrun strats or whatever. Fact is you don't need to know that stuff to play or finish a game. Christ most people that play Tekken don't even bother looking at the in game movelists and get than enough mileage from the game.
This is completely false. Trying to learn fighting games to the point where you have a good understanding of basic mechanics does not make someone an elitist snob wtf. There's no such thing as elitism in fighting games. If you're going to try and play a character that you know absolutely nothing about, and you don't know what the good moves are or what punishes and combos you should do then you're needlessly crippling yourself and might as well not even play the game. If someone doesn't even know what moves their character has then they're just mashing at that point.

They're badly designed in a way, yes. In 2020 we shouldn't have to be looking up stuff like frame data for example, or paying for it in Tekken's case. DOA has done it since at least 5, DBFZ does it now too. There's no excuse. Fighting game tutorials aren't very good for the most part.
I somewhat agree. I think all fighting games should have a decent tutorial and there's no excuse for not having one. But the thing is, you can look up literally everything from frame data to combos to technical stuff like some of the advanced mechanics because the community has made a guide, tutorial whatever for every single thing. If you don't mind doing a little research, you can learn almost everything about the game without ever needing an in-game tutorial.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I'll politely disagree because Exapunks exists.

header.jpg

You print out zines and reference them throughout the game, as part of the design. It's dope as hell.

Oct 28, 2017
This is completely false. Trying to learn fighting games to the point where you have a good understanding of basic mechanics does not make someone an elitist snob wtf. There's no such thing as elitism in fighting games. If you're going to try and play a character that you know absolutely nothing about, and you don't know what the good moves are or what punishes and combos you should do then you're needlessly crippling yourself and might as well not even play the game. If someone doesn't even know what moves their character has then they're just mashing at that point.

I somewhat agree. I think all fighting games should have a decent tutorial and there's no excuse for not having one. But the thing is, you can look up literally everything from frame data to combos to technical stuff like some of the advanced mechanics because the community has made a guide, tutorial whatever for every single thing. If you don't mind doing a little research, you can learn almost everything about the game without ever needing an in-game tutorial.
I don't remember calling anyone an elitist snob. I am simply pointing out that the average player does not need to look at a guide to play or enjoy a fighting game. If you want to do that to play at a higher level fair enough. But it aint a requirement for the average player. Not everyone wants to play fighting games competitively. There's a huge casual audience for fighting games myself included.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't remember calling anyone an elitist snob. I am simply pointing out that the average player does not need to look at a guide to play or enjoy a fighting game. If you want to do that to play at a higher level fair enough. But it aint a requirement for the average player. Not everyone wants to play fighting games competitively. There's a huge casual audience for fighting games myself included.
I don't understand how someone can get enjoyment out of a game they know nothing about where they're just mashing mindlessly and hoping something hits, but to each their own.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I didn't need a guide for the original REmake. The puzzles and everything seemed pretty easy? I haven't played 2, but is it really that much harder to get what to do?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Why? What's the purpose for following a video to the exact movement?

I don't get what you would get out of it that you wouldn't just get from watching the video.

getting all collectibles, resources, and playing on hard. So I'm following where they go to get through it on hard and following them to get collectibles. I also collect achievements, so I'm going for those.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
My first thought was that I agreed with you, but then I remembered that I used a guide for Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward since I'm not amazing at puzzles, and had a great time. Though I expect plenty of people will probably enjoyed thinking over the more difficult puzzles until they figured it out themselves.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Don't play LaMulana.
Seriously though, if it's secrets and puzzles then I don't mind. Be as obscure as you need.
What I don't like is having to use guides to understand game mechanics that are poorly conveyed.
RPGs are typically bad with obtuse stats and incomprehensible rules.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I agree OP. Puzzles can be designed in a way that dont necessitate a guide cause you cant figure out what to do.

This is why Breath of the Wild's shrine puzzles are so goddamn good. The objective is clear as day everytime, just get to the altar, and figuring out how to do it is never impossible because you always have the necessary tools (and when you dont, say you dont have arrows left, its super clear you have to use them so you dont get stuck figuring out what to do only to come up an hour later realizing you cant even progress).

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
But this is what guides are doing anyway. Why not design your game with an option for in built streamlining if the vast majority are using an external guide?

We've had this happen for most of a generation already and it was so common that Dark Souls became a phenomenon basically for not doing it. Games have finally gotten back to a middle ground catering to both kinds of players.