• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Game of the Year Winner

• Doom Eternal

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 37 3.6%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 72 6.9%
  • Hades

Votes: 178 17.2%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 93 9.0%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 644 62.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Parker

Feb 5, 2018
With the Game Awards coming up on Thursday, do you have any predictions for the World Premieres? Who do you have winning Game of the Year?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I predict a video game will be announced, maybe 2.

(BOTW 2 trailer pls)

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Honestly I would be shocked if they gave it to anything other than The Last of Us Part 2.

It's not my personal pick, but that style of game is pretty much the default front runner for GOTY.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder to go vote for TLOU2 in the Players Voice poll because a bunch of people who haven't even played Tsushima are voting it up just to beat TLOU2 lol.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would be shocked if they gave it to anything other than The Last of Us Part 2.

It's not my personal pick, but that style of game is pretty much the default front runner for GOTY.

Naughty Dog games actually rarely ever win at the TGA/Spike Awards. Their games have been nominated for GotY four times before Part II (Uncharted 2, 3, 4 and TLoU) and has only won once (U2). So if anything other games have just as good, if not better of a shot at winning there.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect nothing in terms of reveals due to COVID and the new generation just starting. I feel expect something like Gamescom for the breath of the announcements. (lol at some people thinking Elden Ring will appear)

As for who wins, I think Hades. It seems like an indie darling and I feel Game Journo's want to steer clear of "gamer rage" if they give the award to TLOU2

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Naughty Dog games actually rarely ever win at the TGA/Spike Awards. Their games have been nominated for GotY four times before Part II (Uncharted 2, 3, 4 and TLoU) and has only won once (U2). So if anything other games have just as good, if not better of a shot at winning there.
Oh that's interesting, I find it interested to watch but I don't really keep track year after year.

My personal pick is Flight Sim because it's just such an incredible achievement, but it wasn't even nominated. I don't even get the chance to play it that much, it's just so incredibly impressive to me that I think it deserves it.

After that I'm pretty torn between TLOU2, Animal Crossing, and Ori.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I expect Elden Ring to trend on Twitter (which doesn't mean it'll show up :p).

In terms of the big boy award, definitely expect for it to go TLOU2.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I think Hades is the sleeper pick given how much journalists adore it.

I also think a strong case can be made for AC. No other game had the wide reaching impact it did during the start of the Pandemic.

That said, probably The Last of Us pt 2.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I think Hades can win at least 3 awards like Disco Elysium last year.

I also think a strong case can be made for AC. No other game had the wide reaching impact it did during the start of the Pandemic.

Warzone had a much bigger reach than AC during COVID.

85 million players in less than 9 months it's crazy

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I have a feeling that Hades will be this year's Disco Elysium. And it just so happens that Hades is nominated for GOTY.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Nintendo's "reveal showcase" will be headlined by a new Ghosts 'n Goblins game.

Bayonetta 3 will also finally see the light of day for the first time in years.

No BOTW2, however. That's being held for a Direct, next year.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
Animal Crossing would be "Best Animation Film" like Disney/Pixar/Ghibli ... not Best Picture.. come on...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Much as I want animal crossing to win goty, it's hard to imagine anything but TLOUII getting it

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
I predict Bayo 3 will still cease to exist and either Ghost or animal crossing winning

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 will clean up. Some big trailer debuts including Elden Ring and BOTW2. With something from Sony first party as well (GOW 🤞🤞)

May 5, 2018
I can see Hades or ACNH taking GOTY. Hades because its become this beloved indie that a grand number of game journalists and the public have grown to love recently while ANCH is the one game on that list that got many different people into playing video games more so than any of those other games this year. But I do still think TLOU2 will eventually win the award since 1, people think recent bias wins these awards while the last 5 GOTY winners (From Witcher 3 to Sekiro) were all 1st half of the year game releases. Secondly, it doesn't get as prestige gaming as it gets with TLOU2 and while I haven't played it, I know its definitely a huge critical darling so I think it will take GOTY. Rooting for either ACNH or Hades because well, those are the only two GOTY nominations I played and I don't have a PS4.

For predictions on announcements, I think we'll see footage from one of Sony's big upcoming exclusives for PS5 (Thinking a toss up between Ratchet, Returnal or Horizon FW).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My heart is rooting for Hades but my brain is telling me TLOU has it locked up.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
TLOU2 should win, but Hades will win

I think we really do see Silent Hill / Silent Hills
Its also finally time for some Elden Ring

At least 6 people will die from cringe thanks to all the celebrity presenters

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
I think Doom Eternal will win the GOTY like Sekiro won it last year. They won't give the GOTY to the "controversial" game (Death Stranding/The Last of Us 2)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm expecting the announcements to be pretty underwhelming to be honest. Just because of the year we've had, I don't think many companies will be too keen to promise much for 2021.

Also I haven't really seen Geoff hyping up the announcements too much, like he usually does. So it's either that he wants to spring some surprises or he's setting expectations correctly for once.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Tlou2 should and will win. Nothing quite like that game and it is miles ahead of the rest of the competition