• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
For the Xbox?

Virtua Fighter 5: FS, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, and maaaaybe Killer Instinct. The ladies of that game are for the most part, modestly dressed.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I don't remember injustice 2 being so bad with this, but I didn't stick with it long enough to see all the dlc or costumes so I might be forgetting something. Fantasy strike is free and might be easier for a kid to pick up

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown is probably the best choice, especially if you want another 3D fighter.

It also helps that it's an excellent game.

Oct 27, 2017
Fighters Megamix is where it's at.

You sure about that? You can literally knock the clothes off of the characters such as Grace who wasn't wearing much to begin with.

tumblr_p2p4i12upm1w1kerio1_400.gifv

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Having played SC and DOA on the Dreamcast at 12, I never really paid attention to the cleavage. Can't you even tone down things on DOA6?
I agree with the other replies, Killer Instinct and Power Rangers would be my top picks. You can even turn on easy play mode in KI and your combos will auto finish.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
You sure about that? You can literally knock the clothes off of the characters such as Grace who wasn't wearing much to begin with.

tumblr_p2p4i12upm1w1kerio1_400.gifv
Yeah, I'd choose a straight Virtua Fighter over the Fighting Vipers mashup that is Fighters Megamix. But it's still better than a lot of other fighting games and the armor mechanic is not gender specific....but yeah, Virtua fighter all the way. Even the one somewhat sexualized character is a twin whose male counterpart is treated very similarly.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Second power rangers battle for the grid the game is excellent, everyone's fully dressed, best Vs style game in years

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shaolin vs Wu-tang

Buy Shaolin vs Wutang | Xbox

Shaolin vs Wutang is a 1 on 1 INDIE CASUAL combat game featuring hand to hand and weapon combat, great music and inspired graphics. No flashy over the top effects, just combat influenced by classic Kung Fu films. The game features authentic fighting sounds from films and a licensed soundtrack...
I second this.
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is on the Xbox 360 marketplace for $20. Fun game & the outfits aren't particularly immodest IIRC.
Although OP didn't state what type of Xbox, unfortunately Ultimax wasn't made BC on Xbox One and Series X|S. The vanilla version was.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna say DBFZ, but then I remembered Android 21...

I don't think 21 is too bad compared to many of the others mentioned in this thread, and she isn't even unlocked in the base game iirc until you finish the whole story mode, no? At worst she shows midriff and might have a bit of suggestive dialogue but its far from the description in the OP of "boobs spilling out their top" etc.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020
Unpopular opinion: If she already likes the game then let her keep playing. You can explain to the best of your ability how the women there are not a fair representation of the real world. That's what I would do at least.
I thought so too. Have you asked her what she thinks, OP? That would be a good way to break the ice.

May 5, 2018
Was also gonna say Them's Fightin' Herds because well...it's a fighting game starring cartoon Ungulate animals.

Edot: Oh for XBOX 1. Killer Instinct then.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
For Honor

To me it's a fighting game, but the females are amazing and have awesome armors.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

"Hey little girl, most modern fighting games grossly objectify women, so play an archaic fighting game that doesn't objectify women because no women are included."

The Killer Instinct answers can't be serious. Black Orchid, Maya, and Sadira are all sexualized, even if it's mild compared to other fighting games.

Them's Fightin Herds is not on Xbox.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
If she actually really likes the game I'd think you should let her play it, start a dialog on it and try to add other games/ media to her library that counter act that depiction of females over just taking it away from her.

But I don't have kids and know fuck all about raising/ talking to lil girls to ehhh.

Anyway, I'd think that's a hard find given the nature of these types of games. They seem to either lean heavy into ulti-violence or sex appeal.
Power Rangers and Fighting Herds seem to make sense. Would say ARMs but you want X-box.
EDIT- Apparently Fighting Herds isn't XBOX either.

Oct 26, 2017
Virtua Fighter 5. It's not that hard to pick up (seriously) and the women are mostly quite conservative. There is a costume edit mode where you can start from swimwear and build from there, but really, is that worse than a Barbie?

I find that the violence is mostly quite tame too. There's some rough holds from some characters but there's nowhere as much cruelty as in, say, Tekken.

Update
OP
OP
Coxy

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Just to update this - she's loving power rangers - thanks for the tip. Not tried any other yet. My wife approves!

Been playing towerfall too - she's obsessed with that.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
While SC6 is certainly bad for all the reasons you describe, and the feature where you can knock clothes off is atrocious, I will say that my wife who doesn't play games at all really gravitated towards the character designs which shocked me. There's a lot of women on the roster which is good, and obviously the boob physics and underwear shots are incredibly stupid and crass but she said characters like Sophitia are like a female power fantasy to her. She's powerful, beautiful, and desirable. It sounded a lot like the way people talk about Bayonetta (which I have never played).

My wife said she had a similar reaction to SC2 when her brother got it when they were kids and she found all the female characters very cool and memorable. She has no interest in video games and never pointed anything else out in anything else I was playing so it was surprising. She even wanted to play SC6 and use Sophitia, and the only other games I've seen her play are iOS puzzle games. My wife has strong opinions when it comes to women's depiction in media so I was shocked she didn't think the game was simply extremely sexist (like I did). It was an interesting perspective to me as a man. I don't think we give a lot of attention to creating characters that are female power fantasies. Probably because men would be uncomfortable with what that looks like.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
While SC6 is certainly bad for all the reasons you describe, and the feature where you can knock clothes off is atrocious, I will say that my wife who doesn't play games at all really gravitated towards the character designs which shocked me. There's a lot of women on the roster which is good, and obviously the boob physics and underwear shots are incredibly stupid and crass but she said characters like Sophitia are like a female power fantasy to her. She's powerful, beautiful, and desirable. It sounded a lot like the way people talk about Bayonetta (which I have never played).

My wife said she had a similar reaction to SC2 when her brother got it when they were kids and she found all the female characters very cool and memorable. She has no interest in video games and never pointed anything else out in anything else I was playing so it was surprising. She even wanted to play SC6 and use Sophitia, and the only other games I've seen her play are iOS puzzle games. My wife has strong opinions when it comes to women's depiction in media so I was shocked she didn't think the game was simply extremely sexist (like I did). It was an interesting perspective to me as a man. I don't think we give a lot of attention to creating characters that are female power fantasies. Probably because men would be uncomfortable with what that looks like.

Your wife is an adult, though. She has experience navigating overly sexualized media that a child would not.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the examples itt are a bit comical. Do people not think female characters in short skirts, skin tight leather outfits (in some cases with large breasts) and with cleavage, boob and thigh windows are sexualized?

Is Samurai Shodown on Xbox? I don't remember that being overtly sexual.

Darli Dagger, Mina and Iroha definitely are.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, most of my favorite fighting games sorta suck in this regard. It is consistently disappointing. The new Samurai Shodown is generally pretty good. Only one character (off the top of my head) is sexualized. It is also a pretty solid fighting game for learning some fundamentals. Granblue Versus is a tossup. It has some pretty excessively sexualized designs, but it has some really great ones, too. It is another great fighting game for beginners.(apparently that one didn't release on the Xbox)

What happened with the Soulcalibur series is a damn shame. While Soul Blade had Taki, the rest of the female cast had pretty respectable designs. They even messed up Hilde in the newest SC game. It hurts.

yeah but that is way different than this
95a5fc77ebfcc64c1bfca53973f2b97a.gif

ForthrightDeepFurseal-max-1mb.gif

I agree. You should be at least eight to play a modern MK game. Or be a really cool seven year old. Six is probably too young.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
"Hey little girl, most modern fighting games grossly objectify women, so play an archaic fighting game that doesn't objectify women because no women are included."

The Killer Instinct answers can't be serious. Black Orchid, Maya, and Sadira are all sexualized, even if it's mild compared to other fighting games.

Them's Fightin Herds is not on Xbox.
Calling people out for citing KI 2013 is really odd, it's a very good choice.

The female designs are well done, especially if you look at Orchid, Maya, Kim Wu from KI1&2. Sure there's still the more revealing classic costumes but there was a ton of demand from the fan base for those to be faithful to the originals and even then they covered up more.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just to update this - she's loving power rangers - thanks for the tip. Not tried any other yet. My wife approves!

Been playing towerfall too - she's obsessed with that.
In case your wondering, all the dlc characters(we're at 3 passes of 3 now) are all totally worth it too

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Blade series is pretty good in that regard. Which is pretty surprising considering SNKs other games...

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
For Xbox 1?

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Jump Force
Injustice 2
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dragonball Z Budokai Collection
Power Rangers Fight For The Grid
Virtual-On (Really debatable on 'fighting game' but definitely won't find any objectification here)
Morrigan and Felicia

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown seems safe based on my recollection.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
OP would probably have little issue with The Last Blade 2, Dragon Ball FighterZ and Power Rangers Fight for the Grid. Virtua Fighter 5 should be fine too.

I think we need to distinguish between sexualized and objectified.

Given the OPs example, he's probably complaining about excessive sexualization.

Last edited: