• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
For the last couple of years I've been going to the sauna and taking a dip in the ocean three times a week (it's work related) all year round and I've discovered that I love it.

First 30 minutes in the sauna, then into the water.

It's easy in the summer (naturally) when it's 23 degrees celsius (73F) in the ocean, but it becomes something special during fall and winter when the water slowly becomes colder. And then feeling the temperature rise as spring slowly arrives.

The feeling of leaving the sauna after 30 minutes in 80 degrees celsius (176F) to immerse yourself in water that's 3 degrees celsius (37F) is something everyone should try.

Especially on a beautiful winter day when the sun is out and the wind is calm. I swear, when you come up from the cold water and relax on the deck afterwards it feels like it's in the middle of the summer.

Winter swimming is, in a way, like having summer all year*

Here's a unrelated image of "winter swimming" thanks to the internet.

1140-500-false-false-b7d5f7ef7ae9d2bbb1e10501a876e4ad.jpg

*You might feel different when the wind is blowing hard and it's snowing outside, but that's another story.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've always found the idea kinda fascinating, I also lack the swimming skills and confidence to ever even try wild swimming let alone the winter edition so there it will probably remain for me, as an idea

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've always found the idea kinda fascinating, I also lack the swimming skills and confidence to ever even try wild swimming let alone the winter edition so there it will probably remain for me, as an idea

Many places with a sauna have a deck out into the ocean with a ladder going down in the water. No need for swimming skills, just take the steps down.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yeah I'm Finnish too so I love a good sauna.

Never swam outdoors in winter though. I would probably if I had a good place but never really been to a good place in such time. If I go a public (indoors) swimming pool I like the cold water pools they have, but obviously that's vastly different than being outside even if the water temperature might be around the same.

TIL saunas are are 80 degrees. That is ridiculously hot.
Worth noting that it's not hot in the same sense as if it was if it was somehow 80 degrees outside. You sit there only for a limited time and the air is generally pretty moist so it feels good to sit there.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I was gonna ask OP, are you Finnish? I have a close Finnish friend who told me than saunas there are basically a given in most households, though doesn't seem like the outdoor swimming component was part of it

I'm Swedish. We have a couple of public places with saunas and winter swimming in the town where I live.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. Outdoor hot tub in the snow is the best

When I was in Budapest last year I went to the saunas as well and that was great

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Worth noting that it's not hot in the same sense as if it was if it was somehow 80 degrees outside. You sit there only for a limited time and the air is generally pretty moist so it feels good to sit there.
Think saunas are supposed to have a dry heat so that the heat is bearable. Moist heat tends to make things more unbearable, not the other way around, so people pour water into the heat source to make things feel hotter sometimes

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Think saunas are supposed to have a dry heat so that the heat is bearable. Moist heat tends to make things more unbearable, not the other way around, so people pour water into the heat source to make things feel hotter sometimes

Throwing water to the rocks generates steam, which adds moisture in addition to raising the temperature so.. :D

I guess it's difficult to imagine if one has never been to a proper sauna, but moist heat is definitely easier to be in.
Dry heat is more "sharp" heat, if you could describe it that way. Moisture softens it up.

The air is easier to breathe too, try warming up the oven to 100 degrees celsius and breathe that, and compare it to breathing steam from a kettle.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I enjoy cold water a lot, but never done any kind of winter swimming save for that one time I fell through the ice on a pond while skating.

I enjoy saunas and steam rooms a little, but find it really hard to breath after a bit. Mostly psychological. Same issue with hot tubs and jacuzzies. They get hard for me to stay in after a little while with the heat off the water making me feel like I'm suffocating. Heck even just putting my head under a blanket in bed feels suffocating.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Throwing water to the rocks generates steam, which adds moisture in addition to raising the temperature so.. :D

I guess it's difficult to imagine if one has never been to a proper sauna, but moist heat is definitely easier to be in.
Dry heat is more "sharp" heat, if you could describe it that way. Moisture softens it up.

The air is easier to breathe too, try warming up the oven to 100 degrees celsius and breathe that, and compare it to breathing steam from a kettle.
Moist heat at 80 deg celsius will cook you. They keep the temperature in steam rooms at around 40 degrees so naturally it's easier to be in. Saunas need to have dry heat so that you can survive in the temperatures that they are in.

Pouring cold water into the hot rocks doesn't raise the temperature, it makes it feel hotter because of the additional moisture in the air.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
my parents got a sauna at home and I absolutely love it, we just do cold showers afterwards though, but doing the whole frozen lake thing is definitely on my bucket list

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Love both, it's so invigorating to go to the cold water pool in the local swimming hall after training and then to the sauna.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Love it. Although I prefer my sauna at around 70 degrees with a lot of steam. Outside it should be as cold as possible.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Moist heat at 80 deg celsius will cook you. They keep the temperature in steam rooms at around 40 degrees so naturally it's easier to be in. Saunas need to have dry heat so that you can survive in the temperatures that they are in.

Pouring cold water into the hot rocks doesn't raise the temperature, it makes it feel hotter because of the additional moisture in the air.

I mean I go to over 80 degree sauna every weekend and I'm alive lol

Water is thrown on the hot stones topping the kiuas, a special stove used to warm up the sauna. This produces great amounts of wet steam, known as löyly, increasing the moisture and the apparent temperature within the sauna.

The temperature in Finnish saunas is 80 to 110 °C (176 to 230 °F), usually 80–90 °C (176–194 °F)

But it's a regular thing to explain when we have guests from abroad, they think they will die and we just throw more löyly.
Then go swim in a lake and drink cold beer, all is good!

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yeah throwing water on the rocks is only a Finnish tradition I think. It's awesome and I don't know why it's not done in other countries (I think it isn't done in other countries at least).

It doesn't get nearly as humid as in actual steam rooms though. Obviously in an extremely humid air with too much heat your body couldn't survive.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yeah throwing water on the rocks is only a Finnish tradition I think. It's awesome and I don't know why it's not done in other countries (I think it isn't done in other countries at least).

Well, there's usually 5-8 people in this (public) sauna at the same time and we all go in at different times.

So it might be perfect for me, for my last couple minutes in the sauna. But not so much for those that just came in.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I mean sort of. I love Saunas, especially Saunas next to a pool, so I can warm up and then cool down again. But as for winter swimming, the closest I've done to that is that outside hot tub at Kalahari in the Winter. Which is still pretty great.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Finnish-American here, I sauna regularly and cut a hole in the ice for a polar bear dive at least once a year. I don't have a sauna at home though, I'm going to build one in a shed next summer to be prepared for next winter. A good löyly is like a tattoo, it can be so strong it hurts but it's addicting nonetheless

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Finn I of course love the sauna but I've never gone swimming in the winter. I should try it at some point.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Not exactly swimming, but I once plunged into a meter of snow after sitting in a northern Swedish sauna for an hour.

Also took a dip in a cold bath after sitting in the sauna, just last week. I need to do it more often.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Another Finn here. I love sauna, especially the wood-heated ones.

I have never actually tried the whole "avantouinti" thing. I don't even like going to the lake when the outside temperatures go below 10 degrees Celsius.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I tried this at a Korean spa, where they have a cold pool next to the sauna, and didn't like it at all.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I mean I go to over 80 degree sauna every weekend and I'm alive lol
I've been to 80 degree saunas myself - it's just that they are a dry heat, not a moist heat. Adding moisture in the air by pouring water into the hot rocks makes it feel hotter because the hot water vapor is literally heating you up as more of it comes in contact with you. So the more moisture you add, the worst it feels (but great when you finally get out of the sauna). Believe me I know, the article you quoted supports this, just not what you were saying before about the water literally heating up the room (which is false and not how science works)

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Well, there's usually 5-8 people in this (public) sauna at the same time and we all go in at different times.

So it might be perfect for me, for my last couple minutes in the sauna. But not so much for those that just came in.
People in Finnish public saunas do it all the time :D

I've been to 80 degree saunas myself - it's just that they are a dry heat, not a moist heat.
In Finland nobody wants to go a sauna without throwing water on the rocks. It's very much moist heat here, though obviously not nearly as humid as in actual steam rooms. It does make it feel hotter momentarily but that doesn't really equal making it feel worse, though obviously that's subjective.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been in a sauna but I take really hot showers so they sound incredible. How can I convince Finland to let move there?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Saunas? Absolutely.
Winter swimming? Absolutely not.
Tbf I haven't ever tried it in an ocean or lake, but I did jump into barrel full of ice cold water immediately after getting out from the sauna once, I'd say that counts as the more cowardly swedish version.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
A Finn here. Nothing beats a Sauna in a cold winter evening. Ice swimming is for madmen though.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've never been in a sauna but I take really hot showers so they sound incredible. How can I convince Finland to let move there?

Here in Sweden, most gyms (and definitely all swimming halls) has a sauna that you can relax in after a training pass.

Isn't that the case all over the world? Check your local gym/swimming hall, it might be an easier alternative than moving to Finland :)

Tbf I haven't ever tried it in an ocean or lake, but I did jump into barrel full of ice cold water immediately after getting out from the sauna once

I'd say that qualifies as going from one extreme to another. Did you enjoy it?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Saunas have ridiculous health benefits when used correctly.

I used to hit up the sauna after my morning workouts and take a cold shower afterward and I felt like it helped me with muscle soreness and recovery.

What benefits do you feel you get from it OP? I gotta give this a try at some point.

OP
OP
skrskg

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
What benefits do you feel you get from it OP? I gotta give this a try at some point.

Like you, I always go into the sauna after a gym pass. It feels like a reward for a job well done.

Going into the cold ocean after a sauna (regardless of the weather) is something different. When I get up again, it's almost as if the world slowns down for a bit. There's a sort of calm that I can't explain. In my imagination, it's how reptiles feel when shedding their skin.

I haven't had a sick day since I begun (not that I had that many before, but hey!).

And there's an adrenaline rush, for sure. I guess that's a part of why people become addicted to it.

There's quite a lot of research into the health benefits of winter swimming if you search online.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Like you, I always go into the sauna after a gym pass. It feels like a reward for a job well done.

Going into the cold ocean after a sauna (regardless of the weather) is something different. When I get up again, it's almost as if the world slowns down for a bit. There's a sort of calm that I can't explain. In my imagination, it's how reptiles feel when shedding their skin.

I haven't had a sick day since I begun (not that I had that many before, but hey!).

And there's an adrenaline rush, for sure. I guess that's a part of why people become addicted to it.

There's quite a lot of research into the health benefits of winter swimming if you search online.

Holy crap, I need to try this lol.

Sounds like once you get past the initial chill factor it's incredibly rewarding and serene.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Did the sauna/'climb into an ice hole' combo while in Lapland last December

Was pretty intimidating (especially the walk from the sauna along a rickety wooden path) but was really worth it, took a lot out of me

Would love to do it again

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Another Finn here.
A proper hot sauna and throw enough water on stones is very nice.

Sadly we don't have lake close enough to run into, but nice alternative is to dive into snow and do snow angels.