• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Recently beat this and had to spread the word on this gem that seems to be getting ignored. If you're a fan of Contra or any Run 'N Gun title, Blazing Chrome should absolutely be on your radar. The title feels like the sequel to Contra 3 we never got on the SNES that i'd argue also exceeds it. If this team was given the Contra IP and more budget than they had here, I don't think any long-standing Contra fan would be disappointed in their Contra 5 take.

The GIF I included doesn't do the game justice. There's a lot on offer here in both gameplay and features (Not to mention a kickin 90's nostalgia trip).
You have a total of 6 stages, 4 characters (2 shooters and 2 brawlers whom are unlocked after you beat it), Mirror Mode, Boss Rush, Three Difficulties and of course Couch Co-op.

It's not often where I make a thread for any random game i've played, but I really want more people to play this game.
Especially if they have PC/Xbox Gamepass since the title is currently free there.

1.gif

BC_Suhaila_lvl1-2.gif

Thankfully the title has released on every major platform, so no one is missing out.

store.steampowered.com

Save 66% on Blazing Chrome on Steam

In Blazing Chrome, bring your best pal and kick some metal butts to free the humankind while enjoying a classic run’n’gun, fully loaded with action and exciting fights!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Thanks for the heads up! Never heard of this one, love classic Contra and have game pass.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I played through the first level on Friday, and loved it. It's amazing to live in a time where we don't really need a new official, old school Contra game because fans can make something just as good.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Sorry to be a thread pooper but I really didn't think it was that great. I found the balance all out of whack, everything seems to take more hits than it feels like it should. I hope it'll click with me on a replay

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Is the Switch version decent? And how is the trophy list on PS4?
I'm interested in it but I'm not sure which version I should pick.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I wish the stand your ground button wasn't on RB/R1. First level was good and looking to play more.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Switch version decent? And how is the trophy list on PS4?
I'm interested in it but I'm not sure which version I should pick.
Lacks drop shadows and has some slowdown during some really intense moments (the PS4 version has some slowdown as well during co-op). Still perfectly playable, and the developers have confirmed a performance patch is on the way.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see this game on the PlayStation store at all. Also I can't see any trophies for it on trophy sites. Does it even exist on ps4?

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate.
Well, PS4 it is then. Thanks!

Ya...it's the usual with Switch ports unfortunately. Also the dev has said they are going to release an optimization patch.

TBH though I don't even notice the missing shadow circle since the old Contra games didn't have shadows either, and the slowdown I've come across has been pretty minor as well (supposedly there is some late game major slowdown)...all in all it's on par with how a retro game looks and performs.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I played through the first level on Friday, and loved it. It's amazing to live in a time where we don't really need a new official, old school Contra game because fans can make something just as good.
Joymasher games can be hit or miss Odallus was great and had some hit or miss in some places but this is overall so far even in quality and one of the best contra likes i ever have played its also tough but not cheap or anything which i love

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's playable...Switch is missing shadows and has more slowdown as usual.

That the 2 characters are missing shadows is dumb as fuck, it can't be that taxing so I honestly would expect them to at least patch them back in.

That being said, shadows spots are dumb as fuck and hideously clash with a game's artstyle basically... always. So I weirdly (I know) would prefer they'd stop at MCs' and static objects (dunno if car shadows are also missing) spot shadows and not include the enemies'

Slowdowns need to be patched if it ain't consistent between all versions (this is not the case, but slowdown has been purposefully placed -well, dealt with- in arcade games before and I think it's important to emulate slowdowns when porting arcade fames for example or at least include both versions (og/"fixed").

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
That the 2 characters are missing shadows is dumb as fuck, it can't be that taxing so I honestly would expect them to at least patch them back in.

That being said, shadows spots are dumb as fuck and hideously clash with a game's artstyle basically... always. So I weirdly (I know) would prefer they'd stop at MCs' and static objects (dunno if car shadows are also missing) spot shadows and not include the enemies'

Slowdowns need to be patched if it ain't consistent between all versions (this is not the case, but slowdown has been purposefully placed -well, dealt with- in arcade games before and I think it's important to emulate slowdowns when porting arcade fames for example or at least include both versions (og/"fixed").

Kinda agree about the shadows...the way they are just pitch black circles under the characters is a little distracting. A little translucency to them would go a long way.

Hopefully if they do add them to switch they are optional.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title is very true in a very literal sense. Any fan of Contra III really does need to play this.

Completely unrelated but I hope Hard Corps: Uprising gets a modern port at some point. What a gem still languishing on last-gen consoles, soon to be last-last-gen.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I can't see this game on the PlayStation store at all. Also I can't see any trophies for it on trophy sites. Does it even exist on ps4?
It should be available, I bought this game on last Thursday.

US
UK

as for trophies - there's bug, they're not syncing for some reason.
You can earn them still, though.

4FYCnNP.png

also, leaderboards don't work too, and I probably know the reason why :)

yhASFG3.png

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Does the music get better? I felt like the music was too much in the background. At least early on. It doesn't add to the experience like it should. Contra 3 starts off really strong in terms of music.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Recently beat this and had to spread the word on this gem that seems to be getting ignored. If you're a fan of Contra or any Run 'N Gun title, Blazing Chrome should absolutely be on your radar. The title feels like the sequel to Contra 3 we never got on the SNES that i'd argue also exceeds it. If this team was given the Contra IP and more budget than they had here, I don't think any long-standing Contra fan would be disappointed in their Contra 5 take.

The GIF I included doesn't do the game justice. There's a lot on offer here in both gameplay and features (Not to mention a kickin 90's nostalgia trip).
You have a total of 6 stages, 4 characters (2 shooters and 2 brawlers whom are unlocked after you beat it), Mirror Mode, Boss Rush, Three Difficulties and of course Couch Co-op.

It's not often where I make a thread for any random game i've played, but I really want more people to play this game.
Especially if they have PC/Xbox Gamepass since the title is currently free there.

1.gif

BC_Suhaila_lvl1-2.gif

Thankfully the title has released on every major platform, so no one is missing out.

store.steampowered.com

Save 66% on Blazing Chrome on Steam

In Blazing Chrome, bring your best pal and kick some metal butts to free the humankind while enjoying a classic run’n’gun, fully loaded with action and exciting fights!

Why do people keep comparing it to Contra 3?

This game literally looks and plays like Hard Corps.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the game on Gamepass and beat the first stage. It was really fun. It took me four tries to beat the last boss of stage 1 but it felt good. Then I went to play stage 3 (you can start and play whatever stage you feel like between 1 and 4) and died a lot but I'll definitely play more on the coming days and next weekend.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Saw this game for the first time today and I NEED IT. But since there are some issues with the Switch version I suppose I'll wait....

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably the only complaint is that you need to beat Normal to unlock Hardcore but that's pretty minor all told

I've only seen the first four stages since I won't use continues. It rules so far.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Btw this game DELIVERS. Played it for awhile tonight and it scratches the Contra itch GOOOOOOD.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I was going to get it on switch, but learning that yet again a 16bits looking game has performance issues is really turning me off.
I'll buy it down the line, if they patch it and when it'll be on sale.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Oh shite, this is gamepass?? I wanted to play it anyway but didn't know it was gamepass...now it's free for me!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why do people keep comparing it to Contra 3?

This game literally looks and plays like Hard Corps.
It doesnt play like hard corps at all. Hard Corps is a boss rush game with little in between. Blazing Chrome looks like Hard Corps but has lenghty sections between bosses with platforming, vehicle sections etc. I replayed Hard Corps and 3 after beating it and yes it's way more similar to the latter in terms of gameplay. But aestheticly its closer to Hard Corps with the darker art style.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to be a thread pooper but I really didn't think it was that great. I found the balance all out of whack, everything seems to take more hits than it feels like it should. I hope it'll click with me on a replay
Using melee? That was key for me as it decimates smaller enemies.

I was going to get it on switch, but learning that yet again a 16bits looking game has performance issues is really turning me off.
I'll buy it down the line, if they patch it and when it'll be on sale.
These issues really only pop up on Switch and only in two specific areas. It's old school style slowdown (actual slowdown instead of skipping frames). The next patch, however, will solve this so it won't be an issue for long. It's a Switch CPU issue combined with some efficiency problems with Game Maker's Switch exporting process.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Game is amazing, just tried it on Gamepass.

I think I ran into a glitch though, I had that little mag assist gunner thing with me and suddenly I can't jump?? I'm stuck on a level right before a boss where I need to jump over a box to proceed and can't lol.

Edit: seemed to be a one time glitch it didn't happen again thankfully.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on Switch in 1 sitting, it's really good but I wish the melee system was better. It's like Contra and Metal Slug and feels great to play. It took me 2 or so hours to beat it for a 1st time play and I hope to replay it more in the future.