• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad Tatiana Maslany is finally getting that Disney money after years of languishing in relative obscurity on BBC America. Getting turned down multiple times for roles in Star Wars must've sucked for her, but modern Star Wars is a garbage fire so she won in the end by getting a lead Marvel part. I'm super happy for her.

Came here to post this. She's amazing!

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I just want myself to get paid after way too many years of grinding.

....I'm happy to see anyone that wasn't handed a silver/gold spoon make it though.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
Brandon Sanderson. Probably the most consistent and hard working fantasy author out there. Sure he's successful, but it's because he's a workhorse and is still excellent and engaging with his fans. He's honestly the anti-GRRM.

Also N.K. Jemisin.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
Brandon Sanderson. Probably the most consistent and hard working fantasy author out there. Sure he's successful, but it's because he's a workhorse and is still excellent and engaging with his fans. He's honestly the anti-GRRM.

Also N.K. Jemisin.
I'm still waiting for my man Steven Erikson to get the same level of recognition =(

Balma

Oct 27, 2017
Olivia Colman. She was the weird, awkward, frumpy woman in comedy shows like Peep Show and Green Wing. Now she has an oscar!

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
David Dastmalchian,

He was a small actor that got his "big" break in TDKR as the insane inmate that Harvey dent beats up. This role apparently helped him get sober and continue acting and we ended up with his best performance yet as Polka dot man.

Polkadotman.png
Came in to say this, especially after hearing his interview on Michael Rosenbaum's "Inside Of You" podcast recently. Guy's star has risen and he seems like such a good dude.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira. I'm almost done reading her biography. I'm not quite done with it yet, but she struggled for a looooooong time. She seems to be doing ok with all of the merchandising. Hard to be an older woman in Hollywood!

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Sarah Snook.

I remember watching Predestination and being bowled over by her and also having the feeling that this amazing actress will never get her due but now she is on the Succession/HBO train and I couldn't be happier.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Courtney Barnett was a pretty small act like some years ago but now she's doing great stuff and becoming a lot more famous i feel like. She just seems to be on a steady upward motion and i love it, she really deserves it

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Not really famous, but a streamer I mod for who's genuinely gifted at video games, a former teacher, and completely chill hit it sorta big after quitting teaching and streaming upwards of 18 hours a day. He really put in the work. It has only been this year that he started taking weekends off and only streaming for 8 hours a day.

People thinking streaming isn't work, whew. It's grind before you get noticed, if you ever do.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Paul Schrader's comeback with First Reformed and first ever Oscar nom was delightful and something I never expected to happen.

I also second the Olivia Colman mention. Rarely have I been as happy for an Oscar winner than I was for her.

Taika Waititi, spends years plugging away in one of the countries least conducive to global celebrity, does an Oscar-nominated short about life in backwater NZ, makes a longer film out of it about life in backwater NZ, makes another mega low budget film about some weird vampire shit. And now he makes some of the only good blockbuster movies, makes the films he actually wants to make on the side, wins the Oscar when he doesn't even deserve it, and is clearly having loads of fun in his personal life.

Jojo Rabbit sucked shit but as a Maori you gotta respect it
This is definitely not true. Being from a relatively rich English-speaking country gives you a huge leg up when it comes to making a career in Hollywood. There are plenty of Newzealanders in Hollywood especially considering it's a country of only 5 million people.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really famous, but a streamer I mod for who's genuinely gifted at video games, a former teacher, and completely chill hit it sorta big after quitting teaching and streaming upwards of 18 hours a day. He really put in the work. It has only been this year that he started taking weekends off and only streaming for 8 hours a day.

People thinking streaming isn't work, whew. It's grind before you get noticed, if you ever do.
Cheers to that.

Don't feel like being specific but there's a number of VTubers who have busted their asses off and are getting the recognition they deserve now.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
The Rock. Dude went from being poor as fuck getting dropped by football going i to wrestling only to be bullied and fed real human shit in his meals by other wrestlers to going up to number one in the company then onto movies to be number one paid. Dudes a beast.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
This is definitely not true. Being from a relatively rich English-speaking country gives you a huge leg up when it comes to making a career in Hollywood. There are plenty of Newzealanders in Hollywood especially considering it's a country of only 5 million people.

Sure, my bad, I was wrong; if you're from there you have a sense of the country's smallness relative to Australia and other rich English speaking countries etc that nevertheless doesn't make it Nauru or whatever. I still think he's done pretty well for an indigenous guy born pretty far away from the Hollywood system!

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
It's not exactly the same as what you're asking for, but I feel fondly for all the actors from Freaks & Geeks and root for their success. Seth Rogen obviously made a big name out of himself. My favorite though is Martin Starr, the casting of him as Bill was just so good.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
(If you wanna cry about how being rich is immoral, this thread ain't the one).

I'm gonna kick things off with Issa Rae
I've been meaning to check out Awkward Black Girl, thanks for the reminder.

Richard E Grant has been around forever, and has achieved decent success. But he seems like the nicest guy who genuinely enjoys what he does, so I'm glad the past few years have provided him the boost he's deserved.
Absolutely. Loki was a great project and Richard E Grant stole every scene he was in. The goddamn alligator became an instant meme but nowadays people still bring up Grant's character and ask who played him. I have a bunch of shows and movies in my queue now (you may have been the one who recommended me some of them?) simply because I want to see what else Grant can do!

Taika Waititi, spends years plugging away in one of the countries least conducive to global celebrity, does an Oscar-nominated short about life in backwater NZ, makes a longer film out of it about life in backwater NZ, makes another mega low budget film about some weird vampire shit. And now he makes some of the only good blockbuster movies, makes the films he actually wants to make on the side, wins the Oscar when he doesn't even deserve it, and is clearly having loads of fun in his personal life.

Jojo Rabbit sucked shit but as a Maori you gotta respect it
Yeah people are trying to dig up dirt on him (re:divorce) but I hear mostly great things about him. I've been a fan of his work since learning how instrumental he was to the writing on Flight of the Conchords, which then led me to What We Do In the Shadows. He claims that Marvel didn't heavily interfere with his process during Thor Ragnorok (apparently as long as Thor ended up in a certain point at the end) and I think the movie shines so much brighter as a result. His humor and hyper active attention to detail when it comes to building a world is just all over that movie.

Been watching some of the WWDitS show. I'm fairly early on and I like it but it's not quite hitting the same height as his movie just yet.

I've otherwise been working through his other projects and I think the only one left is Jojo Rabbit which is his most mainstream celebrated work, I remember it getting a ton of love at the Oscars (not that this means anything). Hopefully I don't hate it?

EL-P, this guy has been pushing hip hop forward for the last 25 years. So happy he's finally getting his dues.
Absolutely. El-P as both a producer and a rapper is insanely talented. He's pushing 50 and he never slowed down. Thanks to an incredible Run the Jewels album release last year, there are still people discovering him and now they have two decades of back catalogue to work through.

I love watching people react to hearing him for the first time btw.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Myles Kennedy.

I knew of him a bit in the Mayfield Four days and always dug Eden (Turn the Page). Then he got his break with Alter Bridge, which took off. Then he got picked up by Slash. Now he's still going strong with both those bands, plus two solo albums, and he's one of the most highly regarded singers in rock music.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira. I'm almost done reading her biography. I'm not quite done with it yet, but she struggled for a looooooong time. She seems to be doing ok with all of the merchandising. Hard to be an older woman in Hollywood!
I caught a few interviews with her a few years ago when her new pinball machine came out. Seems like such a cool, kind person.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking the other day about how happy I am that puppet combo now has a game on consoles. I doubt they are rich now or anything but its cool to see after seeing him on the scene for a long time toiling away on ps1 looking games and now one of them is on a big platform.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Yeah people are trying to dig up dirt on him (re:divorce) but I hear mostly great things about him. I've been a fan of his work since learning how instrumental he was to the writing on Flight of the Conchords, which then led me to What We Do In the Shadows. He claims that Marvel didn't heavily interfere with his process during Thor Ragnorok (apparently as long as Thor ended up in a certain point at the end) and I think the movie shines so much brighter as a result. His humor and hyper active attention to detail when it comes to building a world is just all over that movie.

Been watching some of the WWDitS show. I'm fairly early on and I like it but it's not quite hitting the same height as his movie just yet.

I've otherwise been working through his other projects and I think the only one left is Jojo Rabbit which is his most mainstream celebrated work, I remember it getting a ton of love at the Oscars (not that this means anything). Hopefully I don't hate it?

I didn't love it; a lot of people do. It's not doing anything hugely more interesting than his other coming-of-age films (Boy is still his best film, and Wilderpeople is great too), it's not that funny, and it's sort of impressed with itself in a way that his other movies aren't. I hope you have a better time with it!

The WWDITS show gets way better; I wish they didn't set it in New York but suspect that's a prerequisite for an American audience. To bring things back on topic, really glad Kayvan Novak has a steady gig and is showing up in Hollywood films, man has been funny for yonks.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Jojo Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of the last few years. I didn't realize people hated it. TW is a great answer though, I've loved pretty much all of his movies so far.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Rosenstock seems like he's doing well. Pretty impressive for a guy who was giving music away for free years before it became a thing

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Rose McIver.

Seeing the full season order for Ghosts made me remember how cool it is that she has rose to minor prominence, almost no one makes it out of the Power Rangers world but she's done it.

Oct 28, 2017
Peter Dinklage. I've read some interviews with him, as a young actor he was almost literally a starving artist for a while because he didn't want to do the typical fantasy dwarf roles ( I guess the third Narnia was his one exception). He had some success before (The Station Agent is great), but Game of Thrones really changed the game for him. Maybe nothing on the level of Tyrion, but he pops up everywhere now

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I loved Derrick Comedy in the early days of the internet, so seeing Donald Glover hit it big in multiple different ways was pretty cool. And the other two guys have done alright shown up in Parks & Rec, Community, and the taller blonde guy is the bearded IT tech that shows up in the MCU from time to time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Peter Dinklage. I've read some interviews with him, as a young actor he was almost literally a starving artist for a while because he didn't want to do the typical fantasy dwarf roles ( I guess the third Narnia was his one exception). He had some success before (The Station Agent is great), but Game of Thrones really changed the game for him. Maybe nothing on the level of Tyrion, but he pops up everywhere now
This is a good one. I remember seeing him in various roles and realizing that I was never seeing him in "stereotypical " little person roles. It probably was a real struggle to skip much needed paydays to maintain this, but I'm happy he held-fast and eventually hit the big time.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Does Viola Davis count? She's been around for a long time, but I first remember seeing her in the movie Disturbia...then a short lived mid-season ABC show "Traveler", then a quirky stint on "The United States of Tara" on Showtime...but then she landed the plum Shonda Rhimes "How to Get Away With Murder" gig and she really took off and with flexibility to do other TV, film and other projects. I'm glad she got mainstream success and still able to pursue personally fulfilling ventures

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Olivia Coleman. She is/was a mainstay in British tv comedy and dramas for literal decades and now she has won an Oscar.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
it's probably been said but john carpenter. get that bag king!
It hasn't been said probably because he finally got his break in 1978 and this thread is focused on people today. But I agree. He got a ton of critical slander but he persisted and kept pushing through. Now he's got his name attached to the most memorable movies and movie soundtracks in history.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isaa Rae is a good look. I also remember watching her Awkward Black Girl episodes on YouTube. Very happy for her. Didn't realize her HBO deal was worth that much through, shiiiet. I know there are others I'm a fan of who had a nice come up but I'm drawing blanks. Little Dragon maybe? Glad they're still trucking along and they've had some nice mainstream collabs.

Goddamn savage 😂😂😂😂.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Kim Petras. She made headlines years ago for being the youngest person to legally have sexual reassignment surgery and go on hormones. She's now a bonafide pop star, getting airplay on mainstream radio stations or at least A listed on KMFM (local station in south-east England). She's also got mainstream connections with people like Paris Hilton and I'm just glad that someone like her has that kind of visibility. I only like a few of her songs, but it's the fact she's visible and an inspiration for other transgender and gender queer people that's most significant to me.

3_cTIorAswjpeg.jpg

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
These 2. Both worked on commercials only years ago and I always really liked them but figured their careers would end there. But they've both done really well on television since those days:

gmCotb.jpg

gmCuK7.jpg

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Patti Harrison.

She's so fucking funny. I got into her when she did a silly SDCC interview years ago and it was awesome to see everyone praising her on I Think You Should Leave and playing a cis woman in Together, Together.

"THESE TABLES ARE HOW I KEEP MY HOUSE HOT".

I quote her lines from ITYSL all the time.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
It's The Weeknd for me. Watching him go from his early mixtapes in 2011 to being one of the biggest music acts in the world has been a trip.

I've also been following Issa Rae since her Awkward Black Girl days so I was hyped to see her already in the OP. My girl deserves the world and she's gonna get it.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Arlo.

You may or may not enjoy his content, that's totally fine. I remember being subscribed and enjoying his videos when he still only had around 7000 subscribers. Seeing him blow up was an experience for sure (currently sitting at 587K subscribers)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Kim Petras. She made headlines years ago for being the youngest person to legally have sexual reassignment surgery and go on hormones. She's now a bonafide pop star, getting airplay on mainstream radio stations or at least A listed on KMFM (local station in south-east England). She's also got mainstream connections with people like Paris Hilton and I'm just glad that someone like her has that kind of visibility. I only like a few of her songs, but it's the fact she's visible and an inspiration for other transgender and gender queer people that's most significant to me.

3_cTIorAswjpeg.jpg

i don't even have a reply i just want to say i notice all your posts now because of your avatar, i really like it

Oct 26, 2017
This is way after the fact but Leslie Nielsen spent decades languishing in obscurity after an initially strong start in The Forbidden Planet before finding his niche of deadpan comedy delivery that made him a star.