• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
My mom got an air fryer/toaster oven a little while ago, but hasn't used the air fryer part yet because she's not sure how long to cook things in it like fries. We googled it, but can't find any reliable instructions. Is it just trial and error at first?

Edit: Thanks for the replies. We'll try out cooking some frozen fries sometime.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My mom got an air fryer/toaster oven a little while ago, but hasn't used the air fryer part yet because she's not sure how long to cook things in it like fries. We googled it, but can't find any reliable instructions. Is it just trial and error at first?
It should come with instructions with some basic guidance of stuff like that. I have a basket version and I just set it to 390/400 degrees for about 13-15 min. You'll know when they're golden brown.

Oct 27, 2017

Which one did you buy? Mine (Nuwave) has times stamped on the top for some common stuff and came with a manual that has a guide for several types of food in it.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
most device has preset. or manual tells you the temp and time. but sometimes those cooking time is off so you just put it in, and check it. add more time to how brown/crispy you like it. and the next time she makes it it'll be the same time.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Well was looking at getting a Ninja air fryer today and ended up getting a Ninja Foodi instead. Our og instant pot was acting up so figured better safe than sorry and get a pressure cooker at the same time. Interested to try some recipes in it.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
also make sure to get a meat thermometer so you don't overcook the meat.

fur6q2u.jpg

ended up putting it back in to get it crispy. forgot to rotate the tray to to the top (did drums on top)

forgot i had potato starch in the pantry but ended up with corn starch instead.

used the default setting which was 380F for 25 minutes. but i put it in a little longer.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Air fryer is great, but I need to get better at using it.

Not a bad cook, but many times when I bake things it's not always entirely cooked through or is a bit too crunchy.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How well do they cook frozen vegetables and how long do vegetables typically take to cook?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Air fryer is great, but I need to get better at using it.

Not a bad cook, but many times when I bake things it's not always entirely cooked through or is a bit too crunchy.
the first fryer i had was low in watts so it took awhile to heat up to the correct temperature. which threw off the cooking time a bit. this one I have is like 1700 watts.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Air fryer and a pressure cooker is like having a team of robots preparing the best meals for you lol

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
We got a Cuisinart TOA-60C air fryer, that also replaced our toaster oven, and we were amazed how many functions this little kitchen gadget replaced. We use it air frying everything from chicken wings to fish, but because it's also a toaster oven, we've used it for frozen foods and TV dinners and the like. It makes a LOT more sense to use this in a household of two, since you burn a lot of gas preparing some of these smaller servings in a gas oven, and the reduction of oil by as much as 80% for the air fried stuff also means you eat deep fried food with far less guilt.

It's one of the best kitchen purchases we've made, and overtook the Instant Pot as our most used appliance.
This is the one we have. We use it t toast, bake and air fry. It's super versatile and it doesn't get shoved in the cupboard next to other one-trick appliances one tends to accumulate.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Only for chicken fingers and nuggets. It's basically a convection oven. It only allows for fairly small capacities so I don't find it that useful overall. I'd rather roast a tray of veggies on a baking sheet than worry about tossing them every 5 minutes in an air fryer.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one we have. We use it t toast, bake and air fry. It's super versatile and it doesn't get shoved in the cupboard next to other one-trick appliances one tends to accumulate.

Yeah, exactly. Cuisinart did a smart thing bundling other common household appliance functions into a single form factor.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Is there any consensus about who makes the best air fryers? Any features to keep an eye out for when shopping for one? I'll be looking to buy one as a gift on black friday.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am looking to upgrade, is the the ninja foodi one any good? I don't want bucket style one, they are a pain to clean

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, but I only really use it for french fries. I tried other items but it seems like baking in a conventional oven took about the same amount of time and the food came out better. Maybe I just have a shitty air fryer. But some properly blanched fries with a little oil added to the air fryer? They come out really good.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Never wanted one but got handed a freebie. Tried it for the first time yesterday.
Just threw some salt and pepper on some wings and they were soooo good.

Oct 2, 2018

Edit: Thanks for the replies. We'll try out cooking some frozen fries sometime.

its odd it doesnt come with instructions? My airfryer has icons on it that tells me approximate times.

0XI0YP8.jpg

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Pulled the trigger on a Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer! It comes in tomorrow. The sale for it to be $145 sounded like a great deal to me!

So i ask thee ... what should i AIR FRY first? Chicken wings? Potatoes to make fries?
Share your recipes or websites pleasssse and thank you!!