• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 2, 2018
I use my airfryer all the time when I use it. I've used my oven twice maybe in the last year. Once to bake a galette and then... I don't even remember.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't every home made in the past few decades have a convection oven anyways?
A lot of them do, but it's not the same. Standard convection ovens are way larger and thus don't heat as quickly nor efficiently. In addition, the circular design that encourages airflow from the overhead fan and perforated cooking surface in an air fryer lead to crispier foods in less time. Finally, air fryers use much less electricity and won't heat up the surrounding area.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone chime in on the best price/function ratio for an air fryer and instant pot, my SO and i moved to a smaller apartment and dont have much space, we mostly cook, fries, fried chicken, and boneless ... also she likes to make cakes, is an instant pot with a cake function worth it? or can you do it without it?

Also, is this kind of air frier form any different, seems like you could throw some pizza in there and overlook food through the window, or are the capsule shaped ones better?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I don't get air fryers, it's just a table top oven? I have "air fried" fries and it's the same exact thing as doing them in an oven.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I'm interested in one but not so much the basket type. If that Instant Pot Vortex one ever becomes available on Amazon and can ship to Japan I may get that one.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone chime in on the best price/function ratio for an air fryer and instant pot, my SO and i moved to a smaller apartment and dont have much space, we mostly cook, fries, fried chicken, and boneless ... also she likes to make cakes, is an instant pot with a cake function worth it? or can you do it without it?

Also, is this kind of air frier form any different, seems like you could throw some pizza in there and overlook food through the window, or are the capsule shaped ones better?
Ninja Foodi will do both in one device.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Waste of $$$. Just get a convection toaster oven.
I could list all the reasons why (and there are many), but I'll let this article do the hard-hitting for me.
More info here:
Thanks for this. I never looked into air fryers but I was curious about them. But now that I know they are just convection oven I will save some money because my oven has a convection mode. Just need to try it out.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want the vortex. Its going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it delivered to australia :(

what's an egg roll? lol.

Honestly as much as we like ours you are probably just fine spending less on something available domestically to you.

An egg roll is a Chinese-American adaptation of spring rolls. I thought they'd migrated well outside of the US to English speaking countries. -_-

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Waste of $$$. Just get a convection toaster oven.
I could list all the reasons why (and there are many), but I'll let this article do the hard-hitting for me.
More info here:
Came to make this exact post, although I have a convection oven so I don't need the convection toaster oven. YouTube link for people who can't be bothered to read:

So basically, since my oven has a convection function, I don't need an air fryer ever?
That is correct.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I love our air fryer, it's one of our most used appliances. Pretty much anything that can fit in there, we've probably tried cooking. It also makes great hard/soft boiled eggs and does a great job reheating pizza. It also does a great job reheating frozen naan and flat bread(you just have to make sure you don't set the timer too high).

If there's one appliance I would recommend to anyone, it's the air fryer.

Thanks for this. I never looked into air fryers but I was curious about them. But now that I know they are just convection oven I will save some money because my oven has a convection mode. Just need to try it out.

I have both and honestly the air fryer is different and a lot more convenient, especially for quick meals. You can have something cooked in half the time it would take the oven to just preheat. The basket makes a huge difference too IMO, much easier to pull out the basket and give it a shake(for fries) or to flip your food.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Ninja Foodi, and the air fryer in it is great for reheating frozen things. I have noticed that air fryer recipes are weird for me, though. Even if I follow them exactly, I can never get them to turn out quite right. I tried to make air fryer french fries last week, and they eventually turned out great, but they took about twice as long as the recipe said.
Air fryer hot dogs are godly, though. They taste just like they're grilled, but without me having to stand out in the heat.

Oct 2, 2018
The following kitchen appliances are my faves and ones I use a lot:

aa) Coffee machine (grinder+tamp) - a legit one using real beans
a) Pasta maker (machine) 10 minutes or so for fresh pasta
b) air fryer
c) Blender
d) pressure cooker

appliances I have I rarely use:
sous vide
oven - I feel like if I baked more, I would use this more.
sandwich press
toaster (which ended up getting left behind when I last moved)
waffle maker (still in box)
kitchenaid (still in box)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Came to make this exact post, although I have a convection oven so I don't need the convection toaster oven. YouTube link for people who can't be bothered to read:

That is correct.

I see this video is also done by people who don't know how to use an air fryer. (just like the article)

*sigh*

You don't just put things in and leave them in like an oven and come back for it. If you do you will get poor results from an air fryer. You have to actually shake the basket and move things around from time to time. If you don't things won't cook evenly and an air fryer will have very poor results. If you do stir things around you will have results superior to the oven. Despite what they are trying to claim they don't work the same as the oven. You aren't just spreading things out on a surface and baking them there is a little more work involved (it's why it's a basket and not a flat surface like in an oven)

It's not the air fryer's fault these people aren't reading the instructions on how to use the damn thing @_@ It's like cooking a stir fry and complaining that not everything got cooked evenly because you didn't stir :/

I will continue on to say an air fryer isn't going to be for everyone. It's not a magic box that makes food perfectly there is a bit of work involved. If you do eat a lot of french fries or chicken nuggets or other quick foods like that they are amazing for that as shaking every 5 minutes or so to get an even cook is way less work than lining them up so they can evenly bake in an oven (and they end up with a superior crisp from my experiences). But they absolutely give an even cook if you are using them properly.

and since I'm making a post about food device about misconceptions, a Sous-vide device isn't really the same as just cooking stuff in hot water >.> (I mean it's mostly the same, but makes it a lot more accurate and easy to do)

Yeah, a stand mixer is all about baking prep unless you get the attachments.

Yup. I need to get some of the attachments. My first one will likely be a noodle one as I enjoy home made noodles but making them with a manual device kind of sucks. I only got my kitchen Aid a few weeks ago, but it looks like the attachment will streamline the process quite a bit which will be nice. (I have a food processor and that is what I was using to do most of the stuff I would prep with a stand mixer as my food processor has a dough attachment.)

Last edited:

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes an air fryer is totally worth it. Always get the larger size if you have the option. I use my all the time making chicken wings, hamburgers, fries, veggies, chicken, peach cobbler, and my favorite reheating pizza. Yes it is a small counter top convection over, but it is so much easier and convenient than using an over and way better than a microwave. I watched the videos and articles that people have posted as to why they aren't worth it and I disagree with most of what they say. I get they aren't for everyone but you can pick one up for pretty cheap. I have seen them as low as $30, so for that price it's a no brainier, at least to me.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yes an air fryer is totally worth it. Always get the larger size if you have the option. I use my all the time making chicken wings, hamburgers, fries, veggies, chicken, peach cobbler, and my favorite reheating pizza. Yes it is a small counter top convection over, but it is so much easier and convenient than using an over and way better than a microwave. I watched the videos and articles that people have posted as to why they aren't worth it and I disagree with most of what they say. I get they aren't for everyone but you can pick one up for pretty cheap. I have seen them as low as $30, so for that price it's a no brainier, at least to me.
So far I've yet to see an article/video posted that suggests that they even shook/moved the food while cooking, which of course will lead to poor results with an air fryer.

But yeah reheating stuff is great. Heck some foods such as hot pockets turn out great in it as well, but aren't ones you would immediately think to use in an air fryer.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far I've yet to see an article/video posted that suggests that they even shook/moved the food while cooking, which of course will lead to poor results with an air fryer.

But yeah reheating stuff is great. Heck some foods such as hot pockets turn out great in it as well, but aren't ones you would immediately think to use in an air fryer.
yes! hot pockets, chicken nuggets, mini corn dogs. I even make my grilled cheese sandwiches in air fryer for the extra crispiness.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You don't just put things in and leave them in like an oven and come back for it. If you do you will get poor results from an air fryer. You have to actually shake the basket and move things around from time to time. If you don't things won't cook evenly and an air fryer will have very poor results. If you do stir things around you will have results superior to the oven. Despite what they are trying to claim they don't work the same as the oven. You aren't just spreading things out on a surface and baking them there is a little more work involved (it's why it's a basket and not a flat surface like in an oven)
Couldn't you just buy a $10 fryer basket and use that in your convection oven?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you just buy a $10 fryer basket and use that in your convection oven?
you still likely wouldn't have the same concentrated air flow, but maybe?

I'm sure it's possible with enough fiddling, but I would much rather just use a device that is designed to do that.

To me it's worth the $60 it ran me and the small amount of counter space it takes up. But everyone is different. I know I don't have some things I want because I have a limited amount of space. I would love to have a juicer but it takes to much room for how much I would use it.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since this seems like the impromptu Air Fryer OT, I tried making Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in my air fryer tonight. My wife always mocks me when I try stuff like this. She says, "When all you want to use is a hammer, every problem is a nail." (We went through this with the sous vide, too.)

I spread both pieces of bread with a very, very thin layer of fat. (I used mayo because of how easy it is to spread.) Then I put cheese in the middle (I used sliced American cheese and shredded Cheddar. In the future I may add a little parmesan or mozzarella) then I dropped the whole thing in the ninja foodi at 390.
I had to make four sandwiches for myself and my family. I started with a 7 minute cook time, flipping halfway through, but that ended up being too long. (The sandwich was fine, but it wasn't a golden brown so much as it was just... Brown.) I tried 6 minutes and got a similar result. Finally I tried 5 minutes with no flip and that seemed to be the sweet spot.

The sandwich was... A grilled cheese sandwich. It wasn't remarkably different from any other grilled cheese sandwich except for on thing - the bread got very crisply toasted all the way through, which gave the sandwich a really nice crunch. My wife and I speculated that this would be a really, really good grilled cheese to dunk in a bowl of tomato soup. Its crunchy crisp bread would likely hold up really well to some kind of liquid. (I also like dipping a grilled cheese into leftover au jus whenever we make pot roast.)

The downside of this method is that only one sandwich fits in the air fryer at a time, where I can fit multiple in a frying pan or a griddle. But five minutes isn't very long to do one at a time, especially when I can close the foodi lid and walk away until it's done.

Am I going to do it this way all the time? No, probably not. But I'll do it when I'm having a grilled cheese with tomato soup or au jus. I'll do it when I'm cooking with my kids and don't want to worry about them touching the frying pan. Otherwise, the traditional way is just as good, and I can do more at a time.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I've used it with chicken tenders, the outcome wasn't that great but it's a little healthier I guess. Fries are awesome though.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Since this seems like the impromptu Air Fryer OT, I tried making Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in my air fryer tonight. My wife always mocks me when I try stuff like this. She says, "When all you want to use is a hammer, every problem is a nail." (We went through this with the sous vide, too.)

I spread both pieces of bread with a very, very thin layer of fat. (I used mayo because of how easy it is to spread.) Then I put cheese in the middle (I used sliced American cheese and shredded Cheddar. In the future I may add a little parmesan or mozzarella) then I dropped the whole thing in the ninja foodi at 390.
I had to make four sandwiches for myself and my family. I started with a 7 minute cook time, flipping halfway through, but that ended up being too long. (The sandwich was fine, but it wasn't a golden brown so much as it was just... Brown.) I tried 6 minutes and got a similar result. Finally I tried 5 minutes with no flip and that seemed to be the sweet spot.

The sandwich was... A grilled cheese sandwich. It wasn't remarkably different from any other grilled cheese sandwich except for on thing - the bread got very crisply toasted all the way through, which gave the sandwich a really nice crunch. My wife and I speculated that this would be a really, really good grilled cheese to dunk in a bowl of tomato soup. Its crunchy crisp bread would likely hold up really well to some kind of liquid. (I also like dipping a grilled cheese into leftover au jus whenever we make pot roast.)

The downside of this method is that only one sandwich fits in the air fryer at a time, where I can fit multiple in a frying pan or a griddle. But five minutes isn't very long to do one at a time, especially when I can close the foodi lid and walk away until it's done.

Am I going to do it this way all the time? No, probably not. But I'll do it when I'm having a grilled cheese with tomato soup or au jus. I'll do it when I'm cooking with my kids and don't want to worry about them touching the frying pan. Otherwise, the traditional way is just as good, and I can do more at a time.
Are you Alton Brown?

Oct 27, 2017

I find in mine that five minutes is perfect for a toasted cheese sandwich. I need to flip halfway through as otherwise one side is sort of soggy. Flipped and the whole thing is great.
I can just barely fit two at a time but I do use smaller, 60 calorie slices of bread.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any particularly good recipes?

I have done pre-cooked frozen foods (e.g. fries or chicken tenders), but not much else beyond wings.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, can I cook chicken breast on these things?
you can. but best if you can coat it in flour or some sort of crumb because it'll dry out.

-

ive been reheating old fried chicken in it. its so much better (not saying fried chicken is healthy) but getting the skin to be recrispy :chefskiss:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can. but best if you can coat it in flour or some sort of crumb because it'll dry out.

-

ive been reheating old fried chicken in it. its so much better (not saying fried chicken is healthy) but getting the skin to be recrispy :chefskiss:

Protip:

buy a bag of potato starch and use it as the coating for your "fried" chicken. I marinate thighs overnight in soy, ginger, garlic then Iat dry, toss in potato starch and straight into the fryer (air or oil) and boom. Deliciousness.

No egg wash needed.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
These things use as much electricity as a hairdryer right? How are people not blowing a fuse when ruining it for qomin straight?

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sad that I bought an Actifry instead of the Phillips type (bought it like 3 years ago) and get very little use out of it, especially since you can't put things in there that you need to put stationary.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Far superior than a regular ol oven when it comes to frozen stuff like fries and recrisping things. Haven't used my big oven in a while since I got the air fryer, definitely get a bigger one like the power air fryer, no need to mess around with flipping stuff.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they use stainless steel or something for the basket. The metal they use while have noN stick coating comes off. And rust.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Protip:

buy a bag of potato starch and use it as the coating for your "fried" chicken. I marinate thighs overnight in soy, ginger, garlic then Iat dry, toss in potato starch and straight into the fryer (air or oil) and boom. Deliciousness.

No egg wash needed.

I just tried using potato starch instead of flour now, and they came out looking kind of weird.

00100dportrait_00100_4lkmn.jpg

Smells good, though. Is that how it's supposed to look?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried using potato starch instead of flour now, and they came out looking kind of weird.

That's some pale ass fried chicken.

If you're going to bread some chicken, actually deep frying it is the only option for cooking. Air fryers, full size ovens on broil, doesn't matter. It's always going to turn out pale and creepy looking.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's some pale ass fried chicken.

If you're going to bread some chicken, actually deep frying it is the only option for cooking. Air fryers, full size ovens on broil, doesn't matter. It's always going to turn out pale and creepy looking.
I did both, and I totally agree. I usually use flour and egg wash, and they don't look like this.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

was yours powdery Or flaky and what temperature? I did mine at 390 for about 17 minutes last night and they came out looking perfect. Yours should taste good and crispy though.

apologies for poor photo it's a grab from video:

O6b3kWt.jpg

I made pozole and fried chicken last night.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did 360 for 8+8(+5+5 because it wasn't fully cooked) minutes. The other half I fried in peanut oil at 375 for 5+7 minutes.

They taste okay and are very juicy. Just looks really weird.

Dec 4, 2017
I've seen a Philips pod one at a relative's place.

Aren't air fryers basically a revisiting of the old countertop halogen air oven, except with a regular heating coil instead of the (fragile) halogen bulb and metal + plastic for the body instead of a glass bowl?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Taken a bit of trial and error. But I've found the 'secret' to getting my chicken almost as crispy as churches is rolling the chicken in flour first, then the egg mix then back into the flour, then shake it off and put the chicken in a pre heated air fryer.

Mine comes out ridiculously crispy and juicy inside.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of new models are coming with rotisserie baskets now to advertise them as rotisserie ovens as well. What this secretly does is give you a way to do normal air-fry cooking without having to worry about shaking the basket or flipping stuff anymore.

I love my air fryer (primary usage: Frozen french fries, burgers, corn dogs, chicken wings), but am thinking of replacing it with one of those specifically to eliminate the middle step of flipping.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of new models are coming with rotisserie baskets now to advertise them as rotisserie ovens as well. What this secretly does is give you a way to do normal air-fry cooking without having to worry about shaking the basket or flipping stuff anymore.

I love my air fryer (primary usage: Frozen french fries, burgers, corn dogs, chicken wings), but am thinking of replacing it with one of those specifically to eliminate the middle step of flipping.
I picked up the chefman one the basket from Best Buy today. It might be new but it taste more buttery. Cooking the same waffle fries. Might be new basket or it's rolling in its own oil.
I have a different air fryer with a normal basket that I shake myself.

Also the basket and the two crisper tray isn't stainless. I wish they told me on the box or something