• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I plan on visiting Atlanta later this year to see a few sites I want to see: World of Coca-Cola, College Football Hall of Fame, Martin Luther King historical site and maybe a few other places. What would people knowledgeable on Atlanta recommend?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
World of Coca-Cola, the Aquarium. I hate driving in Atlanta so much so I'd recommend an uber/lyft situation. The underground mall used to be cool but in all honesty I haven't been to Atlanta in 6 years.

ALSO! I can't remember the name of it but I went to a fun "barcade" there as well. I know that's not helpful but maybe Yelp/Google can give you some good results.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on visiting Atlanta later this year to see a few sites I want to see: World of Coca-Cola, College Football Hall of Fame, Martin Luther King historical site and maybe a few other places. What would people knowledgeable on Atlanta recommend?

Do you have a car, or access to one? It's a hard city to walk and take public transport in. Atlanta is really spread out. There's also the Beltline, old railroad tracks converted to a walking path.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know aquariums are kinda lame on average, but the Georgia Aquarium is actually really stellar. You can probably get a combo ticket with the World of Coke if you look around.

You might also consider looking into a CNN tour if that's your jam.

Restaurants: Antico for pizza (a must). Max Lager's for steak, Nan (a little pricey) for thai food.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a TON of good food, depending on what you're into.

But like others have said, the city is very spread out and you'll need to drive or have an Uber.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on flying to Atlanta, so I will probably be using public transport.

Yeah, echoing what others said. All the downtown stuff is pretty accessible by walking or train (Aquarium, King Center, World of Coke, etc.) but anything further out is tough. Like I love the Atlanta History Center but I have no idea how to get there on a bus.

Downtown, if you're staying there, is pretty dead on weekends and nights. It's mostly offices. There's a good strip of bars on Edgewood Avenue right near there though, and that's where the barcade Joystick is.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Enjoy the Beverly at the World of Coke! It's the best soda.

If you like beer, check out Scofflaw Brewing and Monday Night's Garage facility. Or the Porter Beer Bar in Little 5 Points. I don't really go into the city a whole lot and I have a kid, so my perspective on what to do probably won't match your own (which is why I hesitate to recommend the Aquarium, which is pretty great if you're into that sort of thing). You could go see Stone Mountain too. Sure, the carving honors a bunch of losers, but the park itself is pretty cool.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The Civil Rights Museum is right next to the aquarium and Coke Factory, and I would argue that it's better than both of those things. Highly recommended. Those three things are adjacent to the Olympic Park, which itself is adjacent to the CNN Center and College Football Hall of Fame.

Ponce City Market is an old Sears building that's been converted into a massive food hall with shops. It's got a lot of good food, and it's connected to the Beltline, which is a 22 mile walking/biking trail that circles the perimeter of the city.

If you're looking for restaurant recommendations, I've got a whole list of suggestions for you too, depending on what your cuisine preference is.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I basically live in Atlanta part time... every week, Tuesday-Thursday for work... I've slowly been exploring random places.

Inman Park is nice, along with the Beltline for a solid walk. Good bars and restaurants along it in certain places too. Decatur has a decent strip of bars, including an A+ tiki bar called SOS Tiki Bar, new one opened Midtown called Tiki Tango that is fun enough.

You can get around on subway pretty easily - I use it a lot to get back and forth, but you'll definitely need Uber to supplement.

tmdorsey

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Definitely check out the Belt line and Aquarium. There's plenty to do just a matter of what kind of things you like to do.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
The Civil Rights Museum is right next to the aquarium and Coke Factory, and I would argue that it's better than both of those things. Highly recommended. Those three things are adjacent to the Olympic Park, which itself is adjacent to the CNN Center and College Football Hall of Fame.

Ponce City Market is an old Sears building that's been converted into a massive food hall with shops. It's got a lot of good food, and it's connected to the Beltline, which is a 22 mile walking/biking trail that circles the perimeter of the city.

If you're looking for restaurant recommendations, I've got a whole list of suggestions for you too, depending on what your cuisine preference is.
I'd like to check out the Center for Civil Rights, too. I'm not a picky eater (I'll eat pretty much anything) but I love sandwiches like clubs, subs and tacos so I'll take any recommendations.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
Where are you staying? The Clermont Hotel recently reopened and is close to a Ponce City Market and the beltline.

Learn to ride a scooter if you haven't already. They're pretty much essential here now

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went last summer and thought the Georgia Aquarium was mind-blowing. They got FOUR fucking whale sharks in there, the tank is absolutely massive (I think it's the biggest in the world, maybe some Sheik in Dubai has a personal one bigger by now). I could have sat there for hours watching those things.

I also liked Zoo Atlanta. Tucked away in a park surrounded by residential neighborhood. It was really well laid out and flowed nicely. They have pandas and a great gorilla exhibit that gets you really close without any visible barriers.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like to check out the Center for Civil Rights, too. I'm not a picky eater (I'll eat pretty much anything) but I love sandwiches like clubs, subs and tacos so I'll take any recommendations.
For tacos:

-El Rey Del Taco
-Tacos La Villa (although this is out in the burbs)
-El Taco Veloz

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you staying? The Clermont Hotel recently reopened and is close to a Ponce City Market and the beltline.

Learn to ride a scooter if you haven't already. They're pretty much essential here now

People should really know what the Clermont Lounge is before going haha.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Don't waste your time and money at either Waffle House or Varsity, no matter what anyone here says. Total garbage food.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Oakland Cemetery. It's a Victorian-era cemetery that the city has turned into a park. It's beautiful, with lots of interesting graves and stories. It's also free to walk around, but it's worth paying to take a tour if one's available. They even have brewfests and stuff out there. There's a few notable people buried (Margaret Mitchell and Bobby Jones are two that I can think of right now) and lots of weird graves and mausoleums. There's a seafood place called Six Feet Under across the street which I've heard good things about.
KkIvoKK.jpg

For some other free stuff, you can just drive around and see some murals. There's a lot of good street art in Atlanta. Krog Street Tunnel is especially impressive.
dyIoXj2.jpg

The Center for Puppetry Arts is worth browsing for an hour or so. They have a pretty nice Jim Henson museum with lots of his puppets, sketches, and stuff on display. The "World of Puppetry" half of the museum is pretty bare bones and lifeless, but they have a couple of interesting pieces in there. They do puppet shows daily, but I haven't seen one yet. Supposedly their Halloween show is really good, but I think most of their other programming is very young children-oriented.
QGOVLEy.jpg

The botanical gardens are nice, but pretty pricey. The site says $21.95 for a ticket, but I could have swore that it was more when I went. Either way, it's probably the nicest garden I've been to.
Il3dkoS.jpg

Zoo Atlanta is a pretty solid zoo. They have pandas, and the gorilla and elephant enclosures give you a pretty good chance to see some up close.
G5MmjI4.jpg

For food:
The Vortex is sort of the go-to tourist restaurant. They have ludicrously oversized burgers with crazy toppings. Good luck finishing one. The one in Little Five Points is the famous one--with the giant skull for a door. The one in midtown has a comedy club attached to it called the Laughing Skull Lounge. My friends and I tend to agree that Grindhouse Burgers is actually a better restaurant overall, and there are several locations around the city; but The Vortex is worth going to for gimmick value alone. The owners also have a pretty good Americanized Mexican restaurant called The Bone Garden Cantina. If you go, get their elote. It's a tiny place, and very popular, so expect to have to wait around before getting a seat. It's also in the middle of nowhere, in this weird industrial park.

Just outside of Oakland Cemetery, there's a southwestern-style restaurant called Agave. I ate their once and had a dish of scallops over grits with collard greens. I don't know if that's really "southwestern" but, hey.... It was pretty good.

There are a couple of hipstery marketplaces with a lot of good, but expensive food. Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market are two big ones. You can Google them to see what restaurants are currently installed.

If you're into craft beer, Little Five Points has a bar called The Porter which has a very impressive selection. Something like 50 taps, and a huge bottle selection, including stuff that hasn't been made in years. They also have food, but I've never tried it. Also, Atlanta has a few pretty solid breweries. I'd recommend Orpheus, since they're the most unique (sour-oriented though).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Food (some personal favorites):

Go to Publix and get a sub
Zaxbys
Mary Macs
Sam's BBQ on Johnson's Ferry Road
Vortex (get there early)
Buttermilk Kitchen (get there early, it can be a long wait otherwise)

Entertainment:

Aquarium
Joystick
Battle & Brew (restaurant + video game bar)
Atlanta Botanical Gardens
Walk around Little Five Points
Fernbank
Zoo Atlanta
Six Flags (if you like amusement parks)
Tour Oakland Cemetary
Suntrust Park for a Braves game (if you're going during baseball season)
Mercedes-Benz Superdome for a Falcons or United game

You don't want to drive between the hours of 6am-9am, 12pm-1pm, 3:30pm-7pm. It's better on the weekends, but be aware of the non-stop construction on the interstates, and plan alternate routes.

Take MARTA wherever you can do so.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Here's a fun little combo I sometimes head to Atlanta to enjoy. (You'd need an Uber trip or something though.) Take a beer tour/taste testing at Red Brick Brewery. When you're finished walk over to Hankook Taqueria for Korean Tacos. The place looks like a little hole in the wall, but don't let that fool ya.

I've driven into Atlanta quite a few times just to do that little combo with friends.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Great entries from those above. I'm always a sucker for the Aquarium myself, and United games are something to behold, especially if you go during the third ring 70k sell outs.

Probably too far out of the way for this trip, but a hidden gem would be the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir.
AbhiT.-4.jpg
baps_atlanta_art___architecture_01_f.jpg

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Food (some personal favorites):

Go to Publix and get a sub
Zaxbys
Mary Macs
Sam's BBQ on Johnson's Ferry Road
Vortex (get there early)
Buttermilk Kitchen (get there early, it can be a long wait otherwise)

Entertainment:

Aquarium
Joystick
Battle & Brew (restaurant + video game bar)
Atlanta Botanical Gardens
Walk around Little Five Points
Fernbank
Zoo Atlanta
Six Flags (if you like amusement parks)
Tour Oakland Cemetary
Suntrust Park for a Braves game (if you're going during baseball season)
Mercedes-Benz Superdome for a Falcons or United game

You don't want to drive between the hours of 6am-9am, 12pm-1pm, 3:30pm-7pm. It's better on the weekends, but be aware of the non-stop construction on the interstates, and plan alternate routes.

Take MARTA wherever you can do so.
My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Oakland Cemetery. It's a Victorian-era cemetery that the city has turned into a park. It's beautiful, with lots of interesting graves and stories. It's also free to walk around, but it's worth paying to take a tour if one's available. They even have brewfests and stuff out there. There's a few notable people buried (Margaret Mitchell and Bobby Jones are two that I can think of right now) and lots of weird graves and mausoleums. There's a seafood place called Six Feet Under across the street which I've heard good things about.
KkIvoKK.jpg

For some other free stuff, you can just drive around and see some murals. There's a lot of good street art in Atlanta. Krog Street Tunnel is especially impressive.
dyIoXj2.jpg

The Center for Puppetry Arts is worth browsing for an hour or so. They have a pretty nice Jim Henson museum with lots of his puppets, sketches, and stuff on display. The "World of Puppetry" half of the museum is pretty bare bones and lifeless, but they have a couple of interesting pieces in there. They do puppet shows daily, but I haven't seen one yet. Supposedly their Halloween show is really good, but I think most of their other programming is very young children-oriented.
QGOVLEy.jpg

The botanical gardens are nice, but pretty pricey. The site says $21.95 for a ticket, but I could have swore that it was more when I went. Either way, it's probably the nicest garden I've been to.
Il3dkoS.jpg

Zoo Atlanta is a pretty solid zoo. They have pandas, and the gorilla and elephant enclosures give you a pretty good chance to see some up close.
G5MmjI4.jpg

For food:
The Vortex is sort of the go-to tourist restaurant. They have ludicrously oversized burgers with crazy toppings. Good luck finishing one. The one in Little Five Points is the famous one--with the giant skull for a door. The one in midtown has a comedy club attached to it called the Laughing Skull Lounge. My friends and I tend to agree that Grindhouse Burgers is actually a better restaurant overall, and there are several locations around the city; but The Vortex is worth going to for gimmick value alone. The owners also have a pretty good Americanized Mexican restaurant called The Bone Garden Cantina. If you go, get their elote. It's a tiny place, and very popular, so expect to have to wait around before getting a seat. It's also in the middle of nowhere, in this weird industrial park.

Just outside of Oakland Cemetery, there's a southwestern-style restaurant called Agave. I ate their once and had a dish of scallops over grits with collard greens. I don't know if that's really "southwestern" but, hey.... It was pretty good.

There are a couple of hipstery marketplaces with a lot of good, but expensive food. Krog Street Market and Ponce City Market are two big ones. You can Google them to see what restaurants are currently installed.

If you're into craft beer, Little Five Points has a bar called The Porter which has a very impressive selection. Something like 50 taps, and a huge bottle selection, including stuff that hasn't been made in years. They also have food, but I've never tried it. Also, Atlanta has a few pretty solid breweries. I'd recommend Orpheus, since they're the most unique (sour-oriented though).

The Botanical Garden looks really nice.
That video game-themed bar has me intrigued. I'll check out that Vortex restaurant.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Great entries from those above. I'm always a sucker for the Aquarium myself, and United games are something to behold, especially if you go during the third ring 70k sell outs.

Probably too far out of the way for this trip, but a hidden gem would be the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir.
AbhiT.-4.jpg
Unfortunately I think the MLS season will be over when I visit (probably November) and there's no Atlanta Thrashers anymore!
WOAH that place in the second picture looks amazing!

Last edited:

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
The Botanical Garden looks really nice.
That video game-themed bar has me intrigued. I'll check out that Vortex restaurant.
If you're looking for burgers at some point, my favorite in the city is probably Yeah Burger, but there's a lot of good ones to find.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately I think the MLS season will be over when I visit (probably November) and there's no Atlanta Thrashers anymore!
WOAH that place in the second picture looks amazing!

The day I moved to Atlanta was the day they announced the Thrashers departure. I remain rather salty about it.

Yeah the BAPS interior is beautiful. I only found that place because I lived nearby and barely saw it peaking over the trees on the way to the grocery. Hell of a stumble.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

AbhiT.-4.jpg
That is the field where we used to go when I was a kid in the 80's. It was a half mile through the woods from my childhood home.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're in midtown, grab a burger at The Vortex and hop across the street to Bulldogs.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I notice you said "later this year." I don't know if you have a fixed date, but Dragon Con is on Labor Day weekend, and, at the very least, makes for good people watching.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Don't bother going to the CFB HOF. It's ridiculously boring. The CNN tower and coke world are pretty boring too but not quite as bad.

Among the things not listed in this thread; you absolutely have to go see an improv show at Dad's Garage. It's easily some of the most fun you'll have in the whole state.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how much time you have (and if you have a car), I'd recommend driving a couple hours to go to Ruby Falls in Chattanooga Falls.

I went to Atlanta for a friend's wedding a little over a year ago and after a day and a half of adventuring in Atlanta, I wanted a change of view. Later in the day of one of the days I went to Lake Lanier, very pretty. And the next day, I went to Chattanooga. A really beautiful, waterfront town and Ruby Falls is atop Lookout Mountain which you can supposedly see like 3 other states? Idk, it was foggy as hell and I couldn't see much, but Ruby Falls was well worth the drive there.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I went last May and all the touristy stuff looked horrendously boring to me. Definitely can't say I care enough about soda to drop $20+ on the world of coke. Downtown area was also surprisingly dead, even though I was there the same time as some comic convention (I think). That being said, you literally must try Cook Out if you haven't already

AbhiT.-4.jpg

This isn't exclusive to Atlanta btw. I'm in LA and I live about 15 minutes from one of these too