• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Haven't been exactly been keeping track but Deus Ex, Thief, Dishonored and Prey are all in a coma right now right? Am I missing anything?

Tried googling for upcoming imm sims and got nada

Is our best bet Dishonored 3? Is there an indie game/early access title to keep our eyes on? Anything plz

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 is likely a 2020 game, and Breath of the Wild's sequel is confirmed to be following the same formula as BotW, so if it happens to be a Majora's Mask style iteration on BotW, that game could be here in the next year or two.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Haven't been exactly been keeping track but Deus Ex, Thief, Dishonored and Prey are all in a coma right now right? Am I missing anything?

Tried googling for upcoming imm sims and got nada

Is our best bet Dishonored 3? Is there an indie game/early access title to keep our eyes on? Anything plz

Dishonored 3 probably ain't happening for a while

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
iunderstoodthatreference.jpg

The System Shock remake is the nearest immersive sim I can think of. Or maybe that game from the ex-Irrational developers, Void Bastards. Unless we're counting Consortium: The Tower, but I have a feeling they're having development/budget trouble.

Systems-focused game design is fascinating. Even though they're not really immersive sims, stuff like Divinity: Original Sin 2, and Breath of the Wild are scratching the same itch.

edit: Since I'm the first person to mention it in the thread, I think some people may be interested in reading up on Void Bastards: Void Bastards is System Shock 2 meets XCOM and it looks great

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
You have Gloomwood as an upcoming indie immersive sim (though it's more on the Thief side of things).

gloomwood-screenshot-lantern-and-revolver-902x507.png

Work on Tangiers has also picked up in recent months.

Oct 25, 2017
There rumours about more than one AAA immersive sim in the works, based on studio hirings, but nothing announced. Probably soon, though.

Jul 8, 2018
How did I miss this thread? Immersive sims (or whatever you might call them) are without a doubt my favorite kinds of games.

Anyway, some upcoming 0451 games that haven't been mentioned yet:

Skin Deep (stealth immersive sim by Blendo Games)
The Occupation (comes out next month)
Pathologic 2
Monomyth (an Ultima Underworld-like, supposed to come out 2019/2020)
Shadows of Doubt

Also on early access there's The Blackout Club (by the former Bioshock devs who made The Magic Circle) and The Light Keeps Us Safe (by the Sir You Are Being Hunted devs).

Edit: The Spy Who Shrunk Me is another early access title. Also, isn't Stalker 2 a real thing now?

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that the System Shock remake was canned. What's the latest on that?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
There is Consortium: The Tower, a sequel to Consortium. It's a game i have been looking forward to since it was first revealed. According to Wikipedia it's supposed to come out in 2019, but who knows how reliable that information is.

Jul 8, 2018
I would just you keep an eye on indie games. Many of those have immersive sim elements today. It's no longer just an AAA thing.

It'd be nice if there was some way for the indie immersive sims to find a larger audience. Some are fairly well-known (like the Consortium games), but I doubt most people have ever even heard of other recent indie stuff like Brigand: Oaxaca or Near Death. An immersive sim megathread of some sort would be helpful I think.