• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
You would think a global pandemic bringing normal life to a halt would make people rally around a vaccine, but instead places like Facebook allowing conspiracies theories like that Plandemic video to run rampant are converting even more people to anti-vaccination.

ive argued with my mother since 2016 about her decision to support Trump, but even through all of that I could still see the parts of her that were grounded in reality and logic. She was never anti-vaxx until the recent round of Faceboook propaganda (which is also what converted her to Trump after a life of nonvoting).

Can we realistically require people to be vaccinatinated to board a plane, cruise, attend a large concert, etc? Because I feel like once there is one, this will be a bigger hurdle than we thought.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If they outright refuse to get vaccinated, add them to a list and have them blacklisted from flights, cruises, and other high-infection opportunities where registration requires identifying one's self. I have no patience whatsoever for anti-vaxxers, and this global health crisis is one where I'm willing to support their freedoms being infringed upon until they get vaccinated. The terms have changed with COVID-19.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
I've always wondered how these loons actually explain all the eradicated diseases thanks to vaccines? Globules?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If they got kids, they should be considered child abusers because they don't give a shit about their kids' health for their selfish delusional beliefs. Criticise any family members or friends with such beliefs, interrogate, debunk, and beat them down with emotions and sometimes facts. Go on the offence against anti-vaxxers, don't give these dangerous folks an inch. Got no time to withstand such people who don't care for others' lives.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're easily going to see a rise in people resisting a vaccine whenever one is finally created. There's been a lot of news about fast tracking, relaxing policies in how a vaccine is normally developed and so forth. So I think there's going to be plenty of people who normally would have been on board with your normal vaccines that existed beforehand that will stop and be hesitant because they will have been given the impression that they rushed through this even if it comes out sometime next year. For people who don't know how a vaccine is normally developed which is probably most people, they're going to wonder what it means to have a vaccine fast tracked through the process and be concerned about how that impacts the safety of it. There will also be people concerned about wonder if there are long term effects that won't be known because there's only been so much time from creation, to testing to release that people will question if there are things they don't quite know about it. Add in the fact that there is still talk about how the virus isn't completely well understood still and you're going to have people wondering about if the vaccine is safe. So naturally, I expect there to be a bit more resistance than usual over a vaccine from all these factors even from people who wouldn't normally be considered anti-vax.

anti-vax conspiracy is literally a darwinian filter gate in action. A threat to continued human survival.

At some point, however much death and collapse is required to make it so, nations will be forced to require vaccination for people to be able to take part in civilization. Especially since we're only on the cusp of a new age of infection and viruses.

Also, social media corporations continue to prove they are the literal enemies of humanity.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I will actively yell at anyone who spouts even mild anti-vaccination views. Like, YELL. I don't do this for almost anything else, even Trump supporters (who admittedly I almost never meet). I went mildly apeshit at a group of them protesting outside of PAX West last year in Seattle.

Fucking idiots.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The anti-vax movement is based on selfish fear. These are people who are thinking about themselves over others. And not even necessarily about their kids welfare either. They are scared of what might happen to them, how they might feel, what the experience would be like for them if something were to happen.

Idk how you're suppose to combat that because that's a deeply personal issue.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
At least for international travel, I think some countries will require proof of vaccination.
You already have countries that outright ban you from enter if you come from places with yellow fever and don't have proof of vaccination, so I don't see why others country wouldn't adopt the same measure - if you come from a hotspot, you'll be required to vaccinate.

At an internal level in each country, though, that's going to be harder. Many will cry out arguing that they're being discriminated due to their own beliefs in you deny them access to services like transportation if they don't have the vaccine.... Best bet in those cases is to incentive vaccinations in the kids, I guess, by tying it to benefits, school enrollment or things like that.