• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
In what world is voting for Lib Dems going to keep the tories out?

The current senior Lib Dems are all the people who actively supported the Tory austerity agenda.

Hard to take any stance they take seriously when we know full well they'll abandon it in favour of the tory agenda if they get to sit at the big table.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This website is a bunch of trash from what I've seen from it so far.

OP
OP
Windrunner

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The site was launched early as a response to the Leaver equivalent. The data and recommendations will get more refined as we get closer to the election. As for the accusations:

Are we pro-Labour? Are we pro-LibDem? Are we anti-Tory? Are we pro-Green?
We are a cross party campaign with a mission to stop Brexit by any democratic means. We consider each candidate and their position on Brexit in our recommendations - this means we considered supporting Green, Plaid Cymru, Lib-Dem, Labour, and Independent candidates based on their willingness to do the right thing as well as their chance of beating the Brexiter candidates. We've taken these decisions on a case-by-case basis in every seat. That said, you can be sure we will not recommend The Brexit Party or The Conservative Party in any constituency under any circumstances!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The site was launched early as a response to the Leaver equivalent. The data and recommendations will get more refined as we get closer to the election. As for the accusations:

Of course they'll say stuff like that. It got launched early but there's other websites that do the same thing and aren't handing out bad vote recommendations, and for some of the recommendations it's giving out it needs a little more than refining.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
If you want a Brexit referendum you need Labour to win the Labour/Tory marginal seats, splitting the remain vote in many of these seats by telling a bunch of people to vote Lib Dem instead where they don't have any real hope of winning the seats will hand the seats to the Tories and ensure a hard Brexit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right they say that they are not pro-Lib Dem, they've just accidentally created an extremely pro-Lib Dem algorithm. I guess that absolves them of any responsibility.

OP
OP
Windrunner

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they'll say stuff like that. It got launched early but there's other websites that do the same thing and aren't handing out bad vote recommendations, and for some of the recommendations it's giving out it needs a little more than refining.

I put in my previous address and it told me to vote Labour (accurate) and for my current address it told me to vote Lib Dem (also accurate) so it passed my own mini vetting process. 🤷‍♀️

If you want a Brexit referendum you need Labour to win the Labour/Tory marginal seats, splitting the remain vote in many of these seats by telling a bunch of people to vote Lib Dem instead where they don't have any real hope of winning the seats will hand the seats to the Tories and ensure a hard Brexit.

Those need to be pro-remain Labour MPs however. It's no good if we return Labour MPs who are going to vote for whatever garbage Johnson serves up. I imagine as candidates get confirmed and pledges get made for remain/2nd referendum these recommendations will switch.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I put in my previous address and it told me to vote Labour (accurate) and for my current address it told me to vote Lib Dem (also accurate) so it passed my own mini vetting process. 🤷‍♀️

Those need to be pro-remain Labour MPs however. It's no good if we return Labour MPs who are going to vote for whatever garbage Johnson serves up. I imagine as candidates get confirmed and pledges get made for remain/2nd referendum these recommendations will switch.
If they aren't pro-remain, Labour MPs can still be bullied by the Labour whips to support another referendum and will have run on a manifesto for another referendum, Tory MPs are running on Boris' Brexit deal. If seats go to the Tories because some people voted Lib Dems instead of Labour in Labour/Tory marginals because this site told them to, kiss the EU goodbye!

OP
OP
Windrunner

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If they aren't pro-remain, Labour MPs can still be bullied by the Labour whips to support another referendum and will have run on a manifesto for another referendum, Tory MPs are running on Boris' Brexit deal. If seats go to the Tories because some people voted Lib Dems instead of Labour in Labour/Tory marginals because this site told them to, kiss the EU goodbye!

19 of them defied the whips to vote for the 2nd reading of Johnson's Brexit bill, it wouldn't have passed without them. It can't be taken for granted.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
19 of them defied the whips to vote for the 2nd reading of Johnson's Brexit bill, it wouldn't have passed without them. It can't be taken for granted.
To get it through to the amendment stage. Only 6 broke the whip otherwise. The deal has not passed yet (and some of the MPs that broke the whip are leaving now). That was the second reading. Not a guarantee that they would vote for it afterwards. Do you seriously expect the Lib Dems to win all of those seats in the tweets above? Have you looked at the numbers? How is splitting the remain vote not going to hand the seats to the Tories?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
it told me my seat can be won with a tactical vote... Nah, we have a lot of Labour voters here (every other party is dead) but there are twice as many people prepared to vote Tory. Like, it's not hard to find Labour voters here but we're still outnumbered 2:1 in General Election turnout.

Of course I'll vote Labour in December, of course I will all my life but this seat will never fucking flip, sadly.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I will never trust one of these websites. Just seen too many of them using absurdly dodgy methodology, ignoring political trends and anything that may have happened in the real world between the last result and now - god it was annoying in 2017, surprise surprise it didn't even work - and the fundamental premise just comes across like a massive sham.
As for voting Lib Dem to try and get rid of a Tory, it'd be funny if the Lib Dems didn't have a documented history of jumping straight in bed with the Tories.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Did see a few people say that this was a bit suspect, but they've said their publishing underlying data in a few days - so presume they're working off a new data set?

(As opposed to running the 2017 numbers)

There was a poll for Rees Mogg's constituency posted in the main thread which supports this somewhat tbh...

Granted, that's just ONE constituency and one poll.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pop in your post code and find out who you should vote for if you want to put an end to Tory aspirations of a majority.

DO NOT USE THIS SITE.
Tactical voting sites can be dodgy at the best of times, but this one is atrocious. It seems very likely this is an attempt to steer voters towards the Lib Dems (the result of which will be more Tory victories) rather than a genuine bipartisan effort.
The best bet if you are unsure who to vote for in your constituency is to look up the results from the last couple of elections

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't recommend this site at all based on the number of reports we've had against it. Also squibbling about Labour being not remain enough is actively damaging and will ensure a Boris majority. When push came to shove only 6 defied the whip. There's a a lib dem mp that votes with the government but you rarely hear about them.

This election will heavily define the future of all of us actively helping the tories is not what we should be doing.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
DO NOT USE THIS SITE.
Tactical voting sites can be dodgy at the best of times, but this one is atrocious. It seems very likely this is an attempt to steer voters towards the Lib Dems (the result of which will be more Tory victories) rather than a genuine bipartisan effort.

Is there any evidence that it's an underhanded attempt?

I'm asking in good faith because Best for Britain has always been seen as quite legitimate and the reactions calling it suspect are all based on the surprise factor that Labour are apparently heading for a rocky* election.

They're posting data in a few days anyway, so we'll see.

Does kind of match up with the JRM constituency poll though...

*possibly an understatement given what this is saying though!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does liberal mean something else in the UK?

If you're voting liberal in the US, you're voting Democratic.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the conclusion of the conference they would let their MPs decide freely on if they would support Leave or Remain in that referendum?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any evidence that it's an underhanded attempt?

I'm asking in good faith because Best for Britain has always been seen as quite legitimate and the reactions calling it suspect are all based on the surprise factor that Labour are apparently heading for a rocky* election.

They're posting data in a few days anyway, so we'll see.

Does kind of match up with the JRM constituency poll though...

Naomi Smith, the CEO of Best for Britain is a former Lib Dem PPC. Prominent board members Gina Miller and Alex Andreou are long time Lib Dem supporters. Don't know much about the other people involved, but I'm sure if you looked into them you'd find more links. You only have to look at some of the nonsensical recommendations they're making in constituencies where Lib Dems are tens of thousands of votes behind and still being picked to see somethings up.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Eagerly anticipating their attempts to justify a vote on Lib Dems in the many constituencies they are 20k+ votes behind in. Complete charlatans.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Naomi Smith, the CEO of Best for Britain is a former Lib Dem PPC. Prominent board members Gina Miller and Alex Andreou are long time Lib Dem supporters. Don't know much about the other people involved, but I'm sure if you looked into them you'd find more links. You only have to look at some of the nonsensical recommendations they're making in constituencies where Lib Dems are tens of thousands of votes behind and still being picked to see somethings up.

Thanks for the info.

Tbh, I'm not taking any of these sites as gospel until someone has done a proper analysis of the methodologies - feels like there's too many flying around at the moment and thats going to cause issues.

Edit: Should say that you shouldn't take any of them as absolute gospel - obviously.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

it's the Remainiacs podcast people

slimey

Shantom

Oct 25, 2017
It can't even get seats where the Lib Dems have no interest correct. In Broxtowe it's suggesting to vote for Anna Soubry of Change UK, despite them currently looking to make history by being the first party to get negative votes. In 2017 then-Tory Soubry beat Labour by less than 900 votes. The Tory vote is not going to migrate to Soubry, so the seat should be a straight fight between Tory and Labour.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't you add to the OP that this site has not yet revealed its methodology, and that it's suggesting very odd votes in certain seats currently?

Thread should probably just be deleted, or at the very least replaced with one of the less suspect sites. Stuff like this can be hugely damaging.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
3CwkweA.png

OP should be altered and thread done away with, Lib Dem recommendation here makes zero sense, it makes me wonder about motives.