• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I kinda feel due to Covid-19 the racism against Asians, at least where I can see it and also in own experiences is getting worse.

My wife works at a big company in my hometown and occasionally has to help out in the shop and especially due to Christmas you need the extra hands so for mostly Chinese customers they also got Chinese from other shops to help, so there are now around 3 Chinese in the shop, 4 German.
In the last 2 weeks my wife heard:

"Is this Chinatown? Where are Germans to help me."
"YOU were the ones bringing the virus to us."
"Someone fake coughing when they were close to the Chinese sellers."

The owner (Vietnamese) of the Vietnamese Pho shop told me they were approached in the city with a german "Ching Chang Chong - Virus im Karton", a play on some old racist rhyme.
A few months ago on Era here I posted how a restaurant owner said "Korean and Japanese okay, Chinese stay out".

Heck. Even here on Era you see obviously racist rethorics as "Its just a joke" or "I dont see how thats racist". I remember with Kung-Flu people were excusing it here at the early days of Covid as "Kung-Fu is from China and the virus most likely originated there so its just a harmless joke."

I just wonder how worse can it even get and whether we go back to mid-90s racism like that, that I thought was long gone.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Shit is just being recorded and out in the open now. People are now more "brave" and "brazen" to show their asses because it's open season on us Asians (and the whole diaspora).

Shout out to China Mac for finding his voice during this whole epidemic and raising awareness for anti-Asian shit.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Don't forget MH movie dropping a stupid joke like it was nothing...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's been empirically verified and Trump continued to fan the flames.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Americans and Europeans have always had that instinctual, generational distrust of East Asian culture, it's just been out of sight, out of mind for a while. "They're not like us, they're a threat to our way of life," just catnip for the nationalists and cultural chauvinists of the world.

Whenever Japan or China or whoever is the boogeyman of the day gets attention, it stirs all that up. I don't think it ever went away, it just got redirected to other groups (like Muslims) for a while.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
It's the situation with China, really. It stems from the contentions between them and the US government and specifically the language used by the current President when addressing these matters.

Kung flu and the like doesn't help matters. At. All.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think Americans and Europeans have always had that instinctual, generational distrust of East Asian culture, it's just been out of sight, out of mind for a while. "They're not like us, they're a threat to our way of life," just catnip for the nationalists and cultural chauvinists of the world.

This is exactly what OP's title says.

It's not suggesting that anti-Asian racism suddenly reappeared after being gone, it's just worsened from its already existing but less visible state.

Anti-Asian racism never stopped existing in western culture. It's been here this entire time.

And yes, it is due to Trump, absolutely no question about it. Any time a visible leader endorses some bullshit, the believers of the bullshit feel emboldened and verified in believing their bullshit. Trump is the King of Bullshit.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like there's this weird dualistic aspect to racism against Asians among many white people, especially in western/northern Europe. It's like people are openly OK with certain forms of racism because they don't feel Asians have been subject to some well known, infamous and terrible injustice that would somehow grant them some moral sympathy (obviously bullshit on all fronts, just to be clear).

On the other hand, I regularly hear people indirectly referring to Asian people as smart and dutiful goodie-two-shoes that can take the heat.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there's this weird dualistic aspect to racism against Asians among many white people, especially in western/northern Europe. It's like people are openly OK with certain forms of racism because they don't feel Asians been subject to some well known infamous and terrible injustice that would grant them some moral sympathy (obviously bullshit on all fronts, just to be clear).

On the other hand, I regularly hear people indirectly referring to Asian people as smart and dutiful goodie-two-shoes that can take the heat.

You know why right? The racist white folks needed someone that minorities can look to as people that can break the mold and rise above it all. Guess who they chose? Asians and particularly East Asians.

It's a major talking point for the Nazis, White Supremacists, White Nationalists, and racist fucks in general to point to Asians as being a group of people who can rise above it all while also othering Asians.

The model minority. Literally a tactic they use to make us fight each other.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we can blame President Orange Shit with his China Virus bullshit for that.
I think the Trump adminstration agitating against China is a big part of it.
And I think it was more than just the China virus, I don't know if people realize how right wing media have been talking about China in the last few years.
Like I don't think the way the rest of the mainstream media is reporting on Asia is terribly responsible, but what's going on on the right is on a whole new level.

And it worked.

vSJAFca.png

I think people should be more concerned about that, because things never ends well when Americans get all scared and riled out about a foriegn enemy who is the cause to our problems.
Chinese people got murdered in the 80s because Republicans agitated America against Japan when people were buying too many Toyotas, and I'm sure sure our racists didn't get better at telling Asian people from one another, or really giving a fuck about that.
Sikhs still get murdered in this country because of how Republicans talked about Muslims after 9/11.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think we can blame President Orange Shit with his China Virus bullshit for that.
Everything is trump's fault, even if it's in Germany where they mostly hate him

C'mon man not everything boils down to orange man bad. Would it shock you to know that racism has been a problem for hundreds of years before orange man?

Covid certainly hasn't helped, OP. Seeing a lot more Asian discrimination around this year. Several of the Asian restaurants nearby have had disproportionately large drops in business, even considering covid's impact on the restaurant biz.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Almost, racism against East Asians (and other minorities in Europe) aren't related to Trump. It was always there.

I've had friends who grew up in Europe and they've all talked about the racism they faced there. I think sometimes white Europeans look at how black Americans are treated and act like because it's not "as bad" in Europe, that somehow that means it's all good in Europe for minorities.

It's really not.

Blaming "Trump" is just another way for people to dismiss the fact that many non-Asian Americans/Europeans have racist sentiments about Asian people. Hell, I joined the other forum in 2012 or something, way before Trump was even a thing, and the amount of anti-Asian rhetoric was astounding, especially from a self-proclaimed "racism not tolerated" site than others.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Ah yeah, I was speaking more from an American perspective.
Ok from this Asian American's perspective, it isn't all cause of Trump.

Your liberal voter would gladly shit on Chinese people cause of what the CCP is doing to the Uyghurs and Hong Kong. The best part is last time I check, the population of Hong Kong is mostly Chinese.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Almost, racism against East Asians (and other minorities in Europe) aren't related to Trump. It was always there.

I've had friends who grew up in Europe and they've all talked about the racism they faced there. I think sometimes white Europeans look at how black Americans are treated and act like because it's not "as bad" in Europe, that somehow that means it's all good in Europe for minorities.

It's really not.

Blaming "Trump" is just another way for people to dismiss the fact that many non-Asian Americans/Europeans have racist sentiments about Asian people. Hell, I joined the other forum in 2012 or something, way before Trump was even a thing, and the amount of anti-Asian rhetoric was astounding, especially from a self-proclaimed "racism not tolerated" site than others.

Blaming Trump also lets liberals off the hook for their own racism.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-Asian racism in the US predates the Trump administration, I grew up in the 1990s and experienced a lot of anti-Asian racism then.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely thought this thread was going to be a response to the Monster Hunter thread. Holy shit was that a dumpster fire

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Blaming Trump also lets liberals off the hook for their own racism.

Yeppppp.

I keep saying this, but I wish people would stop thinking of "racism" as a personality trait. I find so many people, especially on the left, desperately trying to "justify" racist beliefs as "it's not actually racist," because they'd rather be racist than admit it could be true.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it anti-Asia or anti-China? I teach a lot of international kids and the mainland Chinese students get treated (and act) differently than Korean, HK and Japanese students do amongst the students. Japanese kids *really* have beef with Chinese kids I find.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That China super soldier thread was really gross and shows how easily people will buy into obviously fake bullshit that reinforces their jingoistic and xenophobic beliefs. I'd hate to think what that thread looks like on a forum that isn't "progressive."

Is it anti-Asia or anti-China? I teach a lot of international kids and the mainland Chinese students get treated (and act) differently than Korean, HK and Japanese students do amongst the students. Japanese kids *really* have beef with Chinese kids I find.

It's all the same to westerners. Anyone who appears Asian gets targeted for violence and racism even if they aren't Chinese.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Let's be real, people don't give a shit to tell the difference.

And when they do, it can be really gross.

I've definitely had people ask me what I was, and if I said my parents were from Taiwan they would say some really racist stuff about Chinese people.

Like... dude.... it doesn't make it okay to say what you're saying to me.....

Doesn't make it any better because there's no such thing as "acceptable racism."

Mar 7, 2020
USA

It's both. even on Era, people will use the "Fuck the CCP" rhetorics to dog whisle anti chinese/anti asia shit. Just look at the most recent example of racist era showing it's ass in the Monster Hunter topic on both the gaming side and ectetra side.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your liberal voter would gladly shit on Chinese people cause of what the CCP is doing to the Uyghurs and Hong Kong. The best part is last time I check, the population of Hong Kong is mostly Chinese.
I don't think the two are wholly issue are wholly seperated.
A lot of otherwise good liberals got to really fucking racist against Muslims after 9/11 from the way the government and the respectable media talked about them, and then like now, a lot of people presuaded themselves that they are doing it to noble reasons.

Like, it was never great, but I really don't think it was this bad 5 years ago (and I think data backs my feelings here). I don't think people got spontenously more racist.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that I've been seeing a lot of Epoch TImes youtube ads and I've gotten a few of their "free sample" newspapers over the last few months. The ads are always some asshole going on about the "CCP" and how they're the root of all evil, and the frontline of the newspapers were always China related. Now, the CCP is shit, but they use that factoid to attach it to Chinese people in the general sense.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Reminds me that I've been seeing a lot of Epoch TImes youtube ads and I've gotten a few of their "free sample" newspapers over the last few months. The ads are always some asshole going on about the "CCP" and how they're the root of all evil, and the frontline of the newspapers were always China related. Now, the CCP is shit, but they use that factoid to attach it to Chinese people in the general sense.

Not just Chinese people. Racist don't care if your chinese or not. If your asian, then your the same as Chinese. Which is why I and multple other Asia era people hate the drive by posts of "Fuck the CCP" since it's been used as a racist dog whisle to shit on Asians in general.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't matter because shitheads will gladly use the latter to justify the former. The two threads we've had on both sides of Era on the Monster Hunter controversy have sizeable graveyards precisely because of this.

Hell, by even saying "anti-China" you're inadvertently mixing anti-Chinese with anti-CCP, and again shitheads will gladly use the latter to justify the former.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sometimes I just need to remind myself that we are the minority here and we have no allies, and I just ignore those threads.

We've had a thread pinned about this situation for a duration of time. But nobody cared, racism is still going strong here.

Not just Chinese people. Racist don't care if your chinese or not. If your asian, then your the same as Chinese. Which is why I and multple other Asia era people hate the drive by posts of "Fuck the CCP" since it's been used as a racist dog whisle to shit on Asians in general.
This. Racists have no idea (nor care) that Asian is not a monolithic entity.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I'm pretty sure the popular nursery rhyme alludes to all Asians are the same.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
COVID starting in china is just gasoline to the already loud and the quiet racists. Vast majority of Asians shouldnt pay for what a few chinese shit leaders did. Its fucking ridiculous when dumbasses pick on asians in other countries. These type of cowards wont die in out lifetime. 74 million just in America alone. I just hope this and future generations can be better.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

Not that CCP don't have plenty be criticized for, but Epoch Times is anti-CCP propaganda for the Falungong cult. 90% of the shit on there is made up. Funny how they pivot to become one of the most popular pro-Trump alt-right publication... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
True. However I think there should be some consideration of context. For example, sometimes when someone says "Fuck the Israeli government" they really are anti-semitic and using the government as a shield, other times they really mean fuck the Israeli government for legitimate reasons. And there are a loooooot of legitimate reasons to say "Fuck the CCP" in regards to genocide and Hong Kong.

But, yeah, I've definitely seen "CCP" used as a stand-in for "those Chinese are out to get us".

Not that CCP don't have plenty be criticized for, but Epoch Times is anti-CCP propaganda for the Falungong cult. 90% of the shit on there is made up. Funny how they pivot to become one of the most popular pro-Trump alt-right publication... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh, I know Epoch Times shit is totally made up. I wish I didn't get their ads and newspaper samples.

I'm pretty sure the popular nursery rhyme alludes to all Asians are the same.
Sad part is that nursery rhyme was almost entirely out of my memory before that thread came up. I don't think I've heard it since the 90s.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
It's China, really. It stems from the contentions between them and the US government and specifically the language used by the current President when addressing these matters.

Kung flu and the like doesn't help matters. At. All.

I think the confusion is the first sentence, it makes it seem like you are blaming all of China, when the rest of your post clarifies that it's the dick waving that's been going on between the CCP, and the Cheetos in chief, and how Trump(Loser) constantly uses racist language when talking about China or Chinese in general.

So, I understand that your not saying it's All of China's fault, but I can also see where the confusion lies.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This. Maybe in the US it stems from the dillies with China, but that poisonous rhetoric and language affects all Asian people.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I am very concerned about the anti Chinese sentiment around where I am as well. The virus isn't any race's fault. If anything the high spreading should be blamed on ignorance and people's refusal to change, not an individual race. It doesn't help that the president wanted to make this a Spanish flu and blame China for it, but I will not kid myself the American people did not need a push to be racist towards Asians.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Even on here, If you even put a "China/Chinese" on the fucking thread title, you have a bunch of people, trip over themself to somehow both:
A. Missed the fucking point.
B. Conflate China/Chinese with the CCP. Like damn, everyone one of you hate it when people equate US=Trump/ Conservative. But fucking China = CCP is fine somehow.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the confusion is the first sentence, it makes it seem like you are blaming all of China, when the rest of your post clarifies that it's the dick waving that's been going on between the CCP, and the Cheetos in chief, and how Trump(Loser) constantly uses racist language when talking about China or Chinese in general.

So, I understand that your not saying it's All of China's fault, but I can also see where the confusion lies.

They only quoted that one piece and deliberately left the rest out. Like, just do what you did (read the rest) and ask for clarification if there's a disconnect. But I'll go ahead and rephrase that first part anyway, thanks.