• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It hasn't been my experinece at all. I figure if it was a problem it would be discussed by a ton of people and it would even be addressed by Bungie no?

Of course the perks make a difference that is entirely the point. Also weapon types and enemy weaknesses matter too and of course there are unique damage effects from exotic weapons. There are so many variables in weapon types and effectiveness I just don't see your point at all tbh. I mean if you are talking about if every weapon was stripped of all properties they would be the same then I guess you are right lol.

But that's not what this hubbub is about and what the thread is based on. Ya, the weapons have bonuses and perks that alter certain abilities or builds. But in Destiny, on a bullet per bullet basis, a 10 power white AR is identical to a 600 power legendary AR of the same archetype.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Quick, someone check if the flamethrower that increases damage by 0% for 0 seconds that can stack up to 0 times actually does more damage with this revelation.

cLBLHio.png

(Although I assume this bug has been fixed already... right?)

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if this is just for laughs, or if you're being remotely serious with this. Developers of online games, especially those that have a subscription fee have been banning players since 1998 for using exploits. Exploits are unintended loopholes. It's a shitty catch-all, but this isn't news. Almost all EUALs (you know, the paragraphs of text that no one reads?) have something similar.
I think I'm being pretty clear here.

If you are the kind of person who thought the streamer deserved his ban on the back of the catch all TOS, then you probably think this is just as damaging to the game. So according to these people, on the back of the almighty TOS wording, this is ban worthy too.

You're really trying to be obtuse here, 'eh?
Obtuse would be abandoning common sense and advocating for Bioware to ban the few people playing the game on twitch instead of them acknowledging the issues and fixing them in a PvE game with no trading economy, AH or competitive systems; i.e. no permanent or temporary punitive action due to their own fuckups.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Quick, someone check if the flamethrower that increases damage by 0% for 0 seconds that can stack up to 0 times actually does more damage with this revelation.

cLBLHio.png

(Although I assume this bug has been fixed already... right?)

Is this just a new stock image of that flamethrower or something that everyone is continuing to use? Because I thought they fixed that a while ago and the changes should have been retroactive. Mine doesn't display that.

If you are the kind of person who thought the streamer deserved his ban on the back of the catch all TOS, then you probably think this is just as damaging to the game.

So according to these people, on the back of the almighty TOS wording, this is ban worthy too.

It's a good thing I never said anything about what someone may or may not deserve. I also wouldn't use a phrase like "a shitty catch-all" if I thought there was some fair judgements going on...

All my point is, was that whether or not you agree with the bans, the fact that someone did, or could get banned over problems that were developer related shouldn't come as some shocking revelation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
It took millions of players a few weeks to find this. How many QA team members do you think they have testing this?

--------
The thing I don't get is the entire design. Anthem follows a Diablo 3 style ever increasing difficulty system, right? (In Diablo III the upper difficulties are called Torments (e.g. Torment I, Torment II, Torment III, etc) each being harder than the last..).

Why is there any damage scaling for new players in these difficulties?

I can get it for the lowest difficulty level, but why does anything like this exist for the upper one's?

If I'm understanding the system correctly, it seems like bad design, to me

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
People that are doing this now aren't doing it by accident either. Just like people were not flying around GM3 just to open chests by accident, thinking that it's somehow meant to be played that way, nor were people doing the infinite Storm bugs by accident either. Claiming to not know that these were exploits would either mean that someone was the most naive video game player alive, or simply full of it. As I already said, it's a shitty catch-all, but no one should be shocked for getting warnings or bans for what is so obviously an exploit. You were already warned from the start of the game.

"Well Bungie didn't ban" is a meaningless argument.

edit: The ban fearmongering is overblown anyway. BioWare isn't going to ban anyone for this just like they didn't ban for opening chests. They banned Gladd for streaming the ultimate exploit.

"Our game is broken, please don't show that to people."

Banning for any reason on this game is beyond ridiculous, i couldn't give a shit about what they think, it's wrong, period.

It took millions of players a few weeks to find this. How many QA team members do you think they have testing this?
Why is there any damage scaling for new players in these difficulties?
I can get it for the lowest difficulty level, but why does anything like this exist for the upper one's?

If I'm understanding the system correctly, it seems like bad design, to me

Because there's matchmaking for everything. It's designed around the idea that everyone should be able to play everything no matter what.

Sadly I knew EA would fuck this up. I knew it. No way were they going to get this right.

No, Bioware did, with +7 years of time given by EA you would think the foundations of the game would be good but they're not, the game needs to go back all the way back to the drawing board and then have more development time. EA would be stupid to allow them to do that after wasting so much time and money.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does Bioware even have a QA department? I work in software engineering, so I know it's common for bugs to get triaged until later releases but I cannot fathom someone seeing this bug report and going "yup, not a blocker, we'll fix it in another patch."

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FO76 was more fun to play and is more polished than Anthem. This game is a fucking joke, what a failure

Oct 30, 2017
I love this trainwreck.

I wonder what the venn diagram of people who preordered FO76 and people who preordered Anthem would look like.

Oct 26, 2017
So instead of giving enemies more HP at higher levels, they just lower the damage output of your high level weapons.

Amazing.

If they would have increased the HP of enemies, then low level players couldn't play together their high level friends, and that was their goal.

Thing is, that concept of 'everyone can play with anyone in any content and rainbows and lollipops' goes diametrically opposite of what a looter RPG game represents. If your low level friends can play the same content as you after farming for two weeks, with the same level of success, why putting the effort in the first place??

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most online games have similar clauses as a catch-all. Can't really dog on that.

Most really only follow through on especially egregious instances of ill-gotten gains. I think Destiny recently hotfix'd issue and had naught but a wag of the finger for exploiters, since it wasn't a major thing.
Wasn't really dogging on the TOS ;)

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been tested with other weapons vs. eachother? Why has he only compared weapons to the level 1 defender and not other weapons to other weapons? My first assumption would be that that particular gun is bugged rather than the damage system in general being an illusion

but if it is... that's the most amazing fuck up ever

Man, they fucked up real good. Still looks polished compared to 76, Todd saved y'all.

I'd rather play FO76 right now. At least it has content and doesn't force me into some creepy pointless walking simulator every 10 minutes

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
There is quite a few people at Bethesda breathing a sigh of relief, doing a dance as they pass infront of an inactive web cam, and grabbing chocolate bars today.

Jun 26, 2018
I think I'm being pretty clear here.

If you are the kind of person who thought the streamer deserved his ban on the back of the catch all TOS, then you probably think this is just as damaging to the game. So according to these people, on the back of the almighty TOS wording, this is ban worthy too.

Obtuse would be abandoning common sense and advocating for Bioware to ban the few people playing the game on twitch instead of them acknowledging the issues and fixing them in a PvE game with no trading economy, AH or competitive systems with no permanent or temporary punitive action due to their own fuckups.

And don't forget that any high-level equipment obtained from such exploits are in fact worse than level 1 equipment right now. So it's ultimately not even a worthwhile exploit.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing I never said anything about what someone may or may not deserve. I also wouldn't use a phrase like "a shitty catch-all" if I thought there was some fair judgements going on...

All my point is, was that whether or not you agree with the bans, the fact that someone did, or could get banned over problems that were developer related shouldn't come as some shocking revelation.
It's a good thing I wasn't talking about you in the first place. You quoted me first.

The shocking revelation is not that it happens, is that players support that kind of shit from developers who lack a clue on how to run their games.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing I wasn't talking about you in the first place. You quoted me first.

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that I was in the presence of forum posting royalty. I'll be sure to get in touch with your ambassador the next time I want to reply to something seemingly ridiculous that you might have posted.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Anthem and Fallout 76 are in competition to see which game can be to bigger trainwreck. 76 had the lead but Anthem is making up ground fast.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
How could a game coming out after Diablo 3 fuck up their loot and difficulty scaling this badly? It really does feel like they developed this game in a cave.

How could a game release so little content with so many bugs after seeing both Destiny and The Division get released? The entire game is madness.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
You do get slightly stronger if you're above the recommended level but yea damage is scaled to the health of the enemy. It's why sometimes you'll do ~1000 damage and then ~100 with the same weapon. It's a dumb system that just takes the gating of progression from level systems without the power trip of being over levelled for the sake of keeping everything somewhat relevant.

The issue here with Anthem, beyond there being scaling in a game where there are selectable difficulties is that the scaling is fucked.
This is completely incorrect about destiny btw lol the damage curves along a delta compared the enemy's level. Below a certain level you will do no damage, over a certain level you will have your damage capped. This changes depending on the activity.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Has this been tested with other weapons vs. eachother? Why has he only compared weapons to the level 1 defender and not other weapons to other weapons? My first assumption would be that that particular gun is bugged rather than the damage system in general being an illusion
Does this happen with all level 1 weapons or only this one?

It's been tested with many level 1 weapons and abilities.

It is a widespread issue and a rather fatal design flaw for a shlooter.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that I was in the presence of forum posting royalty. I'll be sure to get in touch with your ambassador the next time I want to reply to something seemingly ridiculous that you might have posted.
I'm glad that's settled, just so you know next time.

I love how you give me sass when a) you quoted me first b)admit you don't even understand the tone of that post you quoted c) somehow inserted yourself into my point like I was talking about you (I was not) d) then get offended after I point out I in fact didn't mean "you" in all of this and clarify my point isn't even about the wording TOS but the people using it as an excuse to justify bad developer practices. It's like you decided to become the victim for an attack no one made. Great job there.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Somebody should test weapons at different level intervals and see how this scales and how linear the scaling is. If it turns out that there is some system that gimps enemy HP for lower level weapons and that it scales all the way from level 1 to max level, then all the damage numbers are truly misleading, even if bioware tweak the multipliers.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
76 never crashed a console as far as I know.
How could it when nobody played it.

People keep saying this is a bug, but it can't be. This is a game balance issue, they just did it in a silly way.

The bug is in the balancing. Some variable in the middle of the equation is wrong.

How could a game release so little content with so many bugs after seeing both Destiny and The Division get released? The entire game is madness.

If you're trying to say The Division didn't have any bugs, I have to assume you didn't play The Division or read threads about it. Tons of dungeon exploits, and the Dark Zone fuckery was straight up ridiculous.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

How could a game release in such a bad state, period? Even if there weren't prior comparable games and mechanics, this is obviously just bad.

That the dmg numbers are actually just another facade is honestly insane. Does this game actually have a somewhat functionally stats and combat system or... is it some completely undercooked stuff with some facade on top to hide that fact?