• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The flying is the least of Anthem's problems.

In fact, the flying is amazing. Even on PC. Which has many input devices available.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
200.gif

It's almost like Pachter doesn't realize it's not 2007 anymore and modern gamepad support has been a thing for more than a decade.

Playing Anthem on a console is no different plugging that same controller into your PC and playing the same way.

Talk about being totally out of touch and he's supposed to be a market analyst? Shouldn't someone who's supposed to predicting the latest market shift trends at least be on top of the current usability of technology in this decade? Maybe his whole schick is supposed to be a satirical take on it. That would be the only thing that could possibly make sense and not seem like they are totally inept.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even the more 'sensible' comments at the end are completely off because the day 1 patches basically fixed 0 of the show-stopper bugs (DCs, sound glitches, infinite loading, etc.) which he seems to think only existed on the PC early access version? Despite the fact that those same bugs were in the console demos and also seem to be present after a few patches?

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What I don't understand about Pachter is that on Pachter Factor I think he's fun to listen to and he has some interesting insight into the industry. But every time I see a news headline from him it's some of the dumbest shit ever.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It's a well known fact that shooters play better on consoles. It's like scuba diving... it just works perfectly with a gamepad. Also, playing at 30 FPS instead of 60 gives you more time to focus your aim and is really a much more visceral experience. 5 minute load times also give you more opportunities to strategize and really imagine how great the mission is going to be.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
What I don't understand about Pachter is that on Pachter Factor I think he's fun to listen to and he has some interesting insight into the industry. But every time I see a news headline from him it's some of the dumbest shit ever.
Because Pachter is a funny and smart guy who just happens to have some dumb opinions.

He's like that friend you hang out with who's great with kids, has a big loveable dog, throws great BBQs, but for some inexplicable reason thinks every year will be the Clevland Browns' year. It wont be, it will never be the Browns' year, but the guy wont shut up about the Brown's.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
This game plays better with a mouse and fancy graphical options, what is he on about?

It got bad reviews because it was lackluster, filler-heavy and a disappointment from a developer renowned for storytelling. It's not rocket science why the reviews were negative.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
"My personal view is that this is just not a PC game — there is flying in the game, and maneuvering your flying character is like driving a car; the controls just don't work well for that on PC, and they work flawlessly on (video game consoles)," he said.

It's the only fucking thing that actually shows some quality gameplay!

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
the funny part is that he is complaining about the only thing that everyone agree it`s nice, the flying, and beside that, almost everyone is playing this game on controllers even in PC ... so ... i guess he is wrong?!

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I do believe he doesn't realise you can plug a controller into a PC.

EA made the same issue with ME:A. The early access are terrible for BW games and there seems to be massive improvement for actual release.

I for one got Anthem on PC on actual launch day and while is see some of the issues (unvaried mission structures), the game does seem anywhere as bad as what the early reviews made out to be. The Fort that everybody complains about is a single player thing (Wolf 2 had the submarine, Metro Exodus has the train; it's what single player games use to move the story forward). I wonder if our expectations were too high for BW as we all love them as so reviewers were especially harsh.

It's a solid 7 or maybe even 7.5 for me. It's not as bad as Fallout 76 at a 6.

Load times are also a none issue on an SSD. I don't have any load screens over 10seconds.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
The flying is the least of Anthem's problems.

In fact, the flying is amazing. Even on PC. Which has many input devices available.

I spent about 10 hours with it on PC and about 5 hours during the beta on Xbox. I eventually got used to flying on PC but it feels way better on consoles. That said, literally everything else feels and looks better on PC.

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is Pachter? Why does anybody care what this man says? How do you get a job like this? Serious questions here.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don´t you control the directions while flying with the mouse? If yes, than pachter is indeed clueless.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I don't know how accurate this all is, but according to this site you're better off flipping a coin for stock tips than listening to Pachter: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/michael-pachter

I just don't buy this narrative that he's actually a secret genius when it comes to analysing the industry. Too many of his comments seem to display a misunderstanding of the industry at a fundamental level.

This post is underrated. I used to think he generally knew more about the financial/business aspect of games, and he just commented on things like this as a goof. But that ranking is pretty damning.

He's rated less than 1 star out of 5, is 4,507 out of 5,203 analysts, and has an average return of -2.1% a year. If you just put your money into a savings account, you'd get far, far better returns. Heck, if you just threw it all in a sock at least you wouldn't lose money.

Last edited:

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
As an update to his prediction of higher console scores on Metacritic, it has 57 on Metacritic for PS4 (which is lower).

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Jesus like you can't freaking plug in a freaking controller on PC.

Nowadays almost 90% of games released on PC support controllers! A huge variety of controller as well not just xbox or PlayStation controllers but even with some extra tuning wii, ps2, and even original Xbox and PS controllers.

Where is this man on this planet.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
but I played the vip demo on xbox

it was filthy

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean, I don't know how accurate this all is, but according to this site you're better off flipping a coin for stock tips than listening to Pachter: https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/michael-pachter

I just don't buy this narrative that he's actually a secret genius when it comes to analysing the industry. Too many of his comments seem to display a misunderstanding of the industry at a fundamental level.

I know I'm late but thank you so fucking much for this. I'm going to save this link for the next inevitable wiseass peddling that Pachter is secretly the best analyst in the world and is just pretending to be stupid in order to troll everyone.

Why do people still listen to this guy again?

Emperor's New Clothes. He's managed to convince enough people that he has the slightest idea of what he's talking about by projecting enough self-confidence, and people don't want to reveal what little they know themselves by speaking up.

Illusion of authority is a powerful drug. Pachter being an "analyst" and companies listening to him are more important to people's perception of him than the things he says actually being wrong all the fucking time, even when the former is far less direct evidence than the latter.

Last edited: