• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's very easy to understand from the tutorial in the menu. Anthem has a ton of issues, but the tutorial is not bad. It's just not holding the players hands in the way we have gotten used to.
I'm all for non-hand-holdy ways of learning how to do things. There are organic ways to communicate some things. But this would basically be like Dark Souls 1 never telling you how to do a plunging attack in a floor message before a plunge. Sure, you'll still be able to play the game just fine, but it's entirely possible you'd never figure out that plunging attacks are a thing without it.

Digging through a menu and reading every detail of it to find out what a mechanic does is very much a less than ideal way to find out about something like that.

Like I said the tutorial isnt bad imo. It explains in clear terms how combo's work.
It explains it in a place you may never look. That's the problem.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying the game has no issues. I'm saying it cannot be as bad as Crackdown 3. I have Crackdown 3 ( from Gamepass ) and the game doesn't even deserve 60 on Metacritic, it's a trainwreck on all levels.

I think It absolutely deserves that 60. It's not a great game at all BUT I Actually I had way more fun playing Crackdown then I did the Anthem Demo.

I personally thing Anthem is a wayyy bigger train wreck. Crackdown wasn't even considered to be big or get good reviews.

Anthem is supposed to be a AAA game with tons of support behind it....

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for non-hand-holdy ways of learning how to do things. There are organic ways to communicate some things. But this would basically be like Dark Souls 1 never telling you how to do a plunging attack in a floor message before a plunge. Sure, you'll still be able to play the game just fine, but it's entirely possible you'd never figure out that plunging attacks are a thing without it.

Digging through a menu and reading every detail of it to find out what a mechanic does is very much a less than ideal way to find out about something like that.

It explains it in a place you may never look. That's the problem.

You get told several times that you will find game info in the codex. So you open the codex and boom there is a tutorial menu. Like I said its not up in your face but lets not pretend its hidden in some secret cave underneath Fort Tarsis.

I guess I am just still remembering the old days where a Bioware RPG came with a massive handbook you needed to read through. I am used to these things beeing written out from them.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Nvidia is considering a rapid change to their current GPU bundle.

I've been eyeing a 2080, but I have no interest in BFV, and now...this. ☹️

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's very easy to understand from the tutorial in the menu. Anthem has a ton of issues, but the tutorial is not bad. It's just not holding the players hands in the way we have gotten used to.
Haven't played the game, but I have read MULTIPLE reviews saying the combo tutorial is buried in the game menus and it's something so easy to miss that they make a point of calling it out so that players won't overlook a key part of the gameplay. One review, maybe it's just a rushed critic, but I've KEPT COMING ACROSS THIS.

That's crazy to me, because even if you have a good game function, it's bad design if many people say they initially overlooked it in their critical analysis and playthroughs.

I will also continue to say I may have been harsher on the Andromeda team than they deserved for saying they weren't the "real" Bioware.... Hindsight is bittersweet.
554.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering how the fuck gearbox hasn't taken advantage of the looter-shooter craze and released borderlands 3.
Maybe they are waiting and learning from these fiascos.

One big thing of note, B2 never had the ambitious GaaS design as Destiny and others after.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played the game, but I have read MULTIPLE reviews saying the combo tutorial is buried in the game menus and it's something so easy to miss that they make a point of calling it out so that players won't overlook a key part of the gameplay. One review, maybe it's just a rushed critic, but I've KEPT COMING ACROSS THIS.

That's crazy to me, because even if you have a good game function, it's bad design if many people say they initially overlooked it in their critical analysis and playthroughs.

I will also continue to say I may have been harsher on the Andromeda team than they deserved for saying they weren't the "real" Bioware.... Hindsight is bittersweet.
554.gif

Again its completely fair to critique that it is more hidden than it should be. The tutorial itself is not bad though like I said. And for me personally I was apparently lucky to find it quickly.

Hehe yeah you can definately see a ton of similarities between the games. Even if I think Anthem overall is mechanically better.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You get told several times that you will find game info in the codex. So you open the codex and boom there is a tutorial menu. Like I said its not up in your face but lets not pretend its hidden in some secret cave underneath Fort Tarsis.
It's in 2 layers deep in a codex menu that most people would probably avoid. Obviously a lot of reviewers disagree that this is a good way to impart a game mechanic like this. Like, how many games have you actually read every detail in the in-game tutorial section?

One big thing of note, B2 never had the ambitious GaaS design as Destiny and others after.
Like, what was B2 missing? They had really REALLY good expansions that put most of these GaaS additional content to shame. They had raid-bosses. They had microtransactions for skins. They added additional classes. They increased the level cap as new expansions hit and added more post-game content. The only things they're missing is a shared hub zone that arguably adds nothing to the experience and PVP.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nvidia is considering a rapid change to their current GPU bundle.

I've been eyeing a 2080, but I have no interest in BFV, and now...this. ☹️
Ya, I'm not gonna lie I'm a little salty about getting BF V and Anthem with my 2070, while AMD gets RE2 and DMC V.

But not salty enough to buy an AMD GPU.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having played over 40 hours myself I'm deep into the endgame.
After you hit level 30(Max level), you can play the game on Grand Master. The enemies hit so freaking hard that you can't keep up with the damage. That is until you get lucky and start getting the highest rarity drops, that SIGNIFICANTLY boost your defenses. Until you find a couple of those, Grand Master mode is way too rough. So, you either have to tag along with a group that'll carry you, or go farm chests hoping for these drops. Even if you get these rare drops, called master works and legendaries, you might just acquire abilities and weapons. While those are obviously still useful, it's the armor slots you really need to find to survive. Thus why people are going to have a bad time in the higher difficulties and mark it down.

It sounds like the MW drops have the stats needed for survivability, but how far does combining modifiers go toward buffing your character?

From experience with Diablo having the right stats will only get a player so far.

I'm wondering if they went the same route here?

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im so down to scoop this up for a 20 and a couple months time.
Seems to have the foundation laid but not a foundation worth anyones $60.

But just think-andromedas a better game as of now. What a timeline.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, anthem isn't my jam - but I HATE with a passion that in this day and age the online world can destroy a game's reputation upon a negative trend.
Maybe then release a game in better conditions and stop expecting to sweep up the pieces later on?

Ambitious?

Seemingly it pulled off those ambitions better, without even trying for it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 2080 a month after launch. I got nothing and paid more for it....
I had a defective 2070 that actually ended up working out in my favor quite well. The first 2070 I bought only came with BF V, but the one I replaced it with came with Anthem. And I was able to upgrade from the cheapest 2070 model (high temps and very loud) to the most expensive one (low temps and very quiet) for a minimal cost, since the most expensive model went on sale after I initially purchased the cheapest one.

I got really lucky by getting unlucky. Well, it would have been more lucky if Anthem was actually good.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's in 2 layers deep in a codex menu that most people would probably avoid. Obviously a lot of reviewers disagree that this is a good way to impart a game mechanic like this. Like, how many games have you actually read every detail in the in-game tutorial section?

Like, what was B2 missing? They had really REALLY good expansions that put most of these GaaS additional content to shame. They had raid-bosses. They had microtransactions for skins. They added additional classes. They increased the level cap as new expansions hit and added more post-game content. The only things they're missing is a shared hub zone that arguably adds nothing to the experience and PVP.
I remember the expansions being much cheaper than the Destiny expansions.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the expansions being much cheaper than the Destiny expansions.
They were. The expansions were also like 10 times bigger.

I had a defective 2070 that actually ended up working out in my favor quite well. The first 2070 I bought only came with BF V, but the one I replaced it with came with Anthem. And I was able to upgrade from the cheapest 2070 model (high temps and very loud) to the most expensive one (low temps and very quiet) for a minimal cost.

I got really lucky by getting unlucky. Well, it would have been more lucky if Anthem was actually good.
My 2080 has gotten a couple of blue-screens so I might just end up in a similar situation. Hopefully it was just drivers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Every time I check the OP the average scores are a little lower

Stop, stop, it's already dead

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
An online and shared hub world gives solo players a chance to find and team up with other players. Borderlands needed a better matchmaking system. I never enjoyed playing with randoms. It also needs to introduce armor gear.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Will it go sub 60?
How long will it be supported for, MEA was dropped pretty fast with no dlc.
ME is mostly a single player game.

The GaaSsy loot shooters have created the expectation that expansions will improve them. They actually get a lot more leeway than other games, so a company can attempt to regain goodwill on a product a bit further down the line.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ME is mostly a single player game.

The GaaSsy loot shooters have created the expectation that expansions will improve them. They actually get a lot more leeway than other games, so a company can attempt to regain goodwill on a product a bit further down the line.
"Nowhere to go but up!"
Legit heard this from my friend about Fallout 76 a few months back.

I don't actively root for Anthem to fail. It's clearly flawed and I hope it can be supported enough to become as good as it should be. I learned my lesson with Final Fantasy XIV when I initially declared it was beyond saving and it's now one of my favorite games.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Legit heard this from my friend about Fallout 76 a few months back.
See that F76 roadmap thread.

Nothing they have posted is particularly ambitious, but people are already summoning ff14 comparisons. Certainly, it might be done but not based on their roadmap.

They are still going to use that piece of shit engine to build their house of cards. The FF14rr team rebuilt their entire game engine to support the game they needed to make.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It sounds like the MW drops have the stats needed for survivability, but how far does combining modifiers go toward buffing your character?

From experience with Diablo having the right stats will only get a player so far.

The equipments modifier combos along with the MasterWork/Legendary bonus modifiers are the things that take your character from doing ample damage into the ridiculous damage territory. It's actually what drives me to keep playing because I want to see how far I can go with it! Some of the special abilities on the master work stuff is game changing. Like having a sniper rifle that can consistently freeze enemies and keep them locked down far better than anything else in the game.

One of the "problems" I've found with obtaining the top tier items, is that if it's a physical hitting weapon you want to roll a 175% physical damage buff on it, and if it's an elemental , like wise the 175% elemental buff. I'm pretty sure these are the highest that particular modifier can go as I haven't personally seen higher. So the end game gearing for the hardest mode, Grand Master 3, will likely require the best modifiers possible. This means you have to reroll A LOT, which cost a bunch of materials. One of these materials for each master work reroll, is 25 master work embers. You get one for disassembling a master work item of any kind, or you have to go farm materials/chests on free play and hope you find them. I spent about 5 hours of pure farming and only got about 50 of them, so it's a super long grind for the quest for perfect gear. You can also buy one for 5000 coins in the shop, which is waaaaay to many coins to blow on just one.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An online and shared hub world gives solo players a chance to find and team up with other players. Borderlands needed a better matchmaking system. I never enjoyed playing with randoms. It also needs to introduce armor gear.
Borderlands had armor gear. Shields and class mods. Destiny's individual armor slots aren't exactly a massive boon when they were effectively the same thing as shields and class mods just spread over more slots.

And for the hub, I just played with friends and occasionally allowed randos to join for matchmaking, but I don't see why a hub would suddenly make the experience better. I feel the experience would be worse if anything, especially in my case.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I am telling you all this..

If there was an Era Avatar bet a year ago on Anthem reviewing lower than Andromeda, I would have lost it.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe then release a game in better conditions and stop expecting to sweep up the pieces later on?

Ambitious?

Seemingly it pulled off those ambitions better, without even trying for it.

Depends upon the condition, and what is in someone's mind of expectation.

It doesn't mean the developer/team has the same creation in mind.

If you think how many thousands of people work on these AAA games and poor blood sweat and tears in to something and then for it to be caught in a negativity wave and then crash in sales which then leads to lay offs etc.

these kind of reviews on live games like this should at least wait a couple of months before they go in to 'review'

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Comparing the loot and stats on that loot in this game to even vanilla Diablo 3 is a farce. There was no grand plan for itemization in this. You get gear with totally random stats, of which maybe 5 are useful. If you luck into a good piece of gear that doesn't have several absolutely irrelevant rolls for the weapon type or your chosen Javelin/skills, you get to slam your head against the wall of the exact same 5 enemies with terrible AI, but with their HP and damage bloated to a mind numbing level.

Vanilla Diablo 3 sucked, but this game couldn't wash its sweaty jockstrap.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Depends upon the condition, and what is in someone's mind of expectation.

It doesn't mean the developer/team has the same creation in mind.

If you think how many thousands of people work on these AAA games and poor blood sweat and tears in to something and then for it to be caught in a negativity wave and then crash in sales which then leads to lay offs etc.

these kind of reviews on live games like this should at least wait a couple of months before they go in to 'review'

So reviews should be utterly pointless for these games, and therefore buyers shouldn't ever actually buy them?

Reviewers should review the paid product that consumers buy. Not the 'potential' product they might have in 6 months time.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The equipments modifier combos along with the MasterWork/Legendary bonus modifiers are the things that take your character from doing ample damage into the ridiculous damage territory. It's actually what drives me to keep playing because I want to see how far I can go with it! Some of the special abilities on the master work stuff is game changing. Like having a sniper rifle that can consistently freeze enemies and keep them locked down far better than anything else in the game.

One of the "problems" I've found with obtaining the top tier items, is that if it's a physical hitting weapon you want to roll a 175% physical damage buff on it, and if it's an elemental , like wise the 175% elemental buff. I'm pretty sure these are the highest that particular modifier can go as I haven't personally seen higher. So the end game gearing for the hardest mode, Grand Master 3, will likely require the best modifiers possible. This means you have to reroll A LOT, which cost a bunch of materials. One of these materials for each master work reroll, is 25 master work embers. You get one for disassembling a master work item of any kind, or you have to go farm materials/chests on free play and hope you find them. I spent about 5 hours of pure farming and only got about 50 of them, so it's a super long grind for the quest for perfect gear. You can also buy one for 5000 coins in the shop, which is waaaaay to many coins to blow on just one.

Cool thanks.
It sounds like a ton of time will be dropped into finding perfect stat & best in slot items for several load outs targeting specific elements or AoE/Single target needs.

Comparing the loot and stats on that loot in this game to even vanilla Diablo 3 is a farce. There was no grand plan for itemization in this. You get gear with totally random stats, of which maybe 5 are useful. If you luck into a good piece of gear, you get to slam your head against the wall of the exact same 5 enemies with terrible AI, but with their HP and damage bloated to a mind numbing level.

But that was Diablo 3 at launch... At the time the game loved dropping absolutely random rolls on completely random gear with no targets toward your build and no targets for starts toward the class of gear that dropped. And there was absolutely nothing you could do about it.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands had armor gear. Shields and class mods. Destiny's individual armor slots aren't exactly a massive boon when they were effectively the same thing as shields and class mods just spread over more slots.

And for the hub, I just played with friends and occasionally allowed randos to join for matchmaking, but I don't see why a hub would suddenly make the experience better. I feel the experience would be worse if anything, especially in my case.
Actual armor that changes your appearance though, not just shields. It would add more deeper mechanics on top of it. Whenever I hop into the hub world in Destiny I like looking at other people's gear. It gives me goals to know where I should be aiming for. I'm also into having an online connected experience. Borderlands is an offline game with some optional online co-op.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
See that F76 roadmap thread.

Nothing they have posted is particularly ambitious, but people are already summoning ff14 comparisons. Certainly, it might be done but not based on their roadmap.

They are still going to use that piece of shit engine to build their house of cards. The FF14rr team rebuilt their entire game engine to support the game they needed to make.
Yeah, many don't understand that. FFXIV was broken on its very foundation... so they broke it back down and rebuilt the very foundation so they could build from there.

If the foundation isn't working, just building on top of a flawed, weak foundation won't fix the biggest issues. More content is good and all but if those key flaws that are baked into the game's design aren't addressed, no amount of content is going to make it a quality experience.

It's far too early to see how Anthem pans out but impressions I'm hearing, seeing and reading are that it has some very fundamental issues that would require LOTS of ground-level work to fix. Same with Fallout 76 and the issues related to its engine. Not that it's impossible, but anything else is a band-aid trying to cover up a much larger, more difficult problem to address.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actual armor that changes your appearance though, not just shields. It would add more deeper mechanics on top of it. Whenever I hop into the hub world in Destiny I like looking at other people's gear. It gives me goals to know where I should be aiming for.
Borderlands had skins for appearance changes. I don't really like the flexing of gear like that and visible gear changes wouldn't really fit the borderlands aesthetic. Besides, with the complexity of Borderland's level-up and ability system and the stupidly huge amount of weapons/build combos armor alone wouldn't tell you much.

Borderland's is a different game for sure, but it's not a different genre by any stretch. Structurally Destiny and Borderlands have the same DNA.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
IMO shields in B2 works just like any armor gear feature on those games, B2 out the box its a amazing game, with a amazing coop, RPG elements, Weapon variety, Skill Tree, 4 diferent classes, an actual plot, the matchmaking is poor, but is ther, B2 has everything that those U$60,00 Gass games dont have.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
IMO shields in B2 works just like any armor gear feature on those games, B2 out the box its a amazing game, with a amazing coop, RPG elements, Weapon variety, Skill Tree, 4 diferent classes, an actual plot and goes on, everything that those U$60,00 Gass games dont have out of the box.
Agreed. Add in the season pass content and it is absolutely on a different plane of existence from these pale imitators. There is likely a component of that being driven by the insane amount of detail expected from modern AAA games, but some of it has to come down to some kind of development hell issues Bioware was having over the last ten years

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
IMO shields in B2 works just like any armor gear feature on those games, B2 out the box its a amazing game, with a amazing coop, RPG elements, Weapon variety, Skill Tree, 4 diferent classes, an actual plot, the matchmaking is poor, but is ther, B2 has everything that those U$60,00 Gass games dont have.
It's a great game to revisit. It just lacks an active community cuz Gearbox was busy with Battleborn.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware has released two massive duds and has tarnished their major IP while making EA's new IP practically DOA

I think it's well within reason to think about what EA is going to do with their franchises and a studio that is costing them money. (This is ignoring the fact that EA is probably responsible for a good amount of the development hell, but we need to see it from their view point and not ours)
They still have plenty of time to make Anthem profitable.
"RIP Bioware" is incredibly premature.