• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it to you I didn't expect they did these for well-received games, and I almost even listed Kingdom Hearts 3 next to Resident Evil 2. Having watched all three though, the Anthem feels considerably more punching down. 4 or even all 5 are silly versions of actual criticisms of the game while Smash Ultimate's is really only the adventure mode one or KH3's #1 the premise for fanservice and #5 the "no idea what's going on".

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I wonder if the averages would be a lot better if everyone had started playing today, post patch etc. I've thought all along that Origin Premiere was by far the biggest threat to Anthem's success - tons of reviewers playing with horrible loading times and more bugs and jank. 'Cause I do see tons of praise for the game, even if the loot/enemies don't do it for me.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe Anthem is better than 60, and will sell well regardless?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when that one Anthem reviewer wasn't doing his job because he never used a combo?

Seems like a long time ago now.

The reviewer reported that they didn't understand how to do combos or rather they didn't how they worked. Reviews since have listed the combo system as a positive bullet point...

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I honestly find the day 1 patch made the game much worse for me, every mission i try and do is bugged and can't complete and performance got much worse

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't understand how to do combos or rather how they worked. Reviews since have listed the combo system as a positive bullet point point...
The reviews also list pretty consistently that the game doesn't tell you how to do combos and the way to find out is pretty well hidden.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the averages would be a lot better if everyone had started playing today, post patch etc. I've thought all along that Origin Premiere was by far the biggest threat to Anthem's success - tons of reviewers playing with horrible loading times and more bugs and jank. 'Cause I do see tons of praise for the game, even if the loot/enemies don't do it for me.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe Anthem is better than 60, and will sell well regardless?

I think Anthem will sell really well over time, but I don't think they can hit 5-6 million by EA's fiscal year end (March 2019). Honestly, if they didn't have to release this game before the FY end, and had a few more months to iron out the issues this game has - it could be a game with an average around 75, maybe 80.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There is no way Anthem is as bad as Crackdown 3. It's clear some EA hate is added into those reviews. A s that's sad.
Games can be bad for very different reasons and the conclusion can be the same.

Everyone feels the game has some great pieces in place but they all say roughly the same thing regarding the current state of the game.

Crackdown 3 is fun tho
Some people are having fun with this game too.

Some people had fun with Too Human as well. People can have fun with a game and be able to objectively see it's not very good. Both things can be true.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reviews also list pretty consistently that the game doesn't tell you how to do combos and the way to find out is pretty well hidden.

Tetris99 doesn't tell you how to do combos either. Diablo 3 doesn't ever explain skill/item synergy or Proc coefficients. Chess doesn't come with a manual explaining advanced openings or tactics to capture the players king with pawn rushes.

Some parts of games are left for the players to figure out with breadcrumbs leading them to solve advanced techniques for themselves.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way Anthem is as bad as Crackdown 3. It's clear some EA hate is added into those reviews. A s that's sad.

Crackdown 3 is a (imo really) bad game that's functional. Anthem is a bad-to-mediocre game (with good combat, environment design and flying, but everything else sucks) that's broken and unpolished. I think it's warranted, having played both.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BioWare will not be gutted and Dragon Age 4 is most likely still coming. The concerns about the future of BioWare are misplaced, in my opinion.

Bioware has released two massive duds and has tarnished their major IP while making EA's new IP practically DOA

I think it's well within reason to think about what EA is going to do with their franchises and a studio that is costing them money. (This is ignoring the fact that EA is probably responsible for a good amount of the development hell, but we need to see it from their view point and not ours)

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that the same EA hate that propelled Apex Legends to 88 Metascore?
No, that was different because...

it must be because it didn't have lootboxes... oh, maybe it was that there were no $18+ skins to buy... oh, OK, maybe the fact that it wasn't yet another BR game chasing a trend... oh.

Maybe that had to do with Apex being a... goo... good game? It can't possibly be that!

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
No. This game really does have its fair share of issues and the reviews are warranted. Arstechnica and SkillUp brutally dissected this game.

Not saying the game has no issues. I'm saying it cannot be as bad as Crackdown 3. I have Crackdown 3 ( from Gamepass ) and the game doesn't even deserve 60 on Metacritic, it's a trainwreck on all levels.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris99 doesn't tell you how to do combos either. Diablo 3 doesn't ever explain skill/item synergy or Proc coefficients. Chess doesn't come with a manual explaining advanced openings or tactics to capture the players king with pawns.

Some parts of games are left for the players to figure out with breadcrumbs leading them to solve advanced techniques for themselves.
This is a very apple oranges comparison. By this post no game should explain any of their systems. Chess shouldn't explain how a knight moves! Figure it out organically!

But, it's rather telling that you want to believe reviewers when they put combos as a positive but not when those same reviewers put the game's complete opaqueness on how to do them on a negative.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Force: 61
Anthem: 60

mV365U2.gif

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's very easy to understand from the tutorial in the menu. Anthem has a ton of issues, but the tutorial is not bad. It's just not holding the players hands in the way we have gotten used to.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
That's my read on it, they're both OK, if not a little mediocre. Trying to meme your way into "Crackdown 3 must be the worst game of all time and there's no way Anthem is worse" is where the logic falls apart, IMO.
Yeah they are both ok. I think they've both been treated a little too harshly. The way some people are carrying on you'd think they were playing N64 Superman.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The reviewer reported that they didn't understand how to do combos or rather they didn't how they worked. Reviews since have listed the combo system as a positive bullet point...

Yeah, remember that? When one exec was worried how that might affect a single review score?

Seems like a long time ago.

Jump Force: 61
Anthem: 60

mV365U2.gif

Heh, how random. I just saw movie that for the first time playing on a TV in a local bar.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I mean I've played both, and they're both mediocre. However, I played crack down for about 4 hours until I got sick of it and Anthem for over 40 because I'm addicted loot grinding and making my perfect build. Both games are a 6/10 in my book. Both these games are bad. They have some redeeming qualities but they are equally shitty.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very apple oranges comparison. By this post no game should explain any of their systems. Chess shouldn't explain how a knight moves! Figure it out organically!

But, it's rather telling that you want to believe reviewers when they put combos as a positive but not when those same reviewers put the game's complete opaqueness on how to do them on a negative.

I get that different reviewers have different skill sets. I also know that many reviewers are pretty crap at games and even worse at sticking it out to solve advance features in games. It's extremely rare to find a reviewer that touches on anything past the extremely shallow aspects of a game.