• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Seems kind of unfair to give this and Crackdown 3 a score that close to Fallout 76 what that game was broken and unplayable for many people at launch and probably still is for some. Or maybe it's that they gave Fallout 76 too high of a score to begin with?
I played Fallout 76 at launch, and while the game certainly has its problems, it was far more playable than Anthem.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's got to be more in life than enjoying the failures of others.

Anyways, I hope BioWare can right their ship. They were the experts of making a specific type of game for a long while and maybe their time has come and gone; I'll save the popcorn for a rainy day.

Maybe they can; but Anthem has always seemed mediocre to me from the start. I'm only going by anecdotal evidence, but I just don't see the hype for Anthem outside the small specific communities (OTs threads across different forums or specific subreddits). Keep in mind I wasn't really seeking it out, but I keep up with gaming news pretty much daily across multiple sites and rarely did I see Anthem being posted about positively outside of its reveal. The only times I would see Anthem news bleed over into my general gaming feed was negative reactions to the early demo they released.

And I like Bioware a lot and they've made some really outstanding games in the past. I mean if it weren't for EA placing some lofty expectations on what I presume over a game they at least heavily influenced Bioware to create (Or at least the type or genre), I think they could go on to make another great game. But the horror of Bioware's fate on the chopping block is grimly entertaining when it's EA who seems like it's trying as hard as it can to crash and burn. Apex Legends was just a lucky fluke among many failed attempts to chase trends.

We'll see what happens; but I was expecting Anthem to land at a 75%-80% review scores but maybe the less than stellar reviews won't have as large of an impact and Bioware will continue to soldier on but the anticipation of how this plays out is one of the reasons I keep up with as much gaming news as I can. I love the success stories like with Resident Evil 2 (2019) this year as much as the tragedies of companies making horrific flops like Artifact.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's super disappointing to see this getting a similar reaction/reception as Andromeda around its launch.

It's a real bummer to be a BioWare fan lately.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The overwhelming evidence against this game from those who have played it is insane. If FO76 were not a game released in this gen, I would say this is unprecedented.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Just posting these unrelated gifs of the seamless Xenoblade X on the Wii U back in 2015

mech%2Bsuit.gif

latest

WeeklyPleasedAfricanrockpython.gif
Hoping this comes to Switch
Nintendo plz, one of the only 2 Wii U games I want, besides Wind Waker HD

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Game was released before it was ready but I kinda can understand EA. This is second game in a row for BioWare where they spent years developing it and still wasn't ready for release. EA had to say "release it" at some point. If you spend 6+ years on a game and this is all you have then another year or two wouldn't help that much. Something is wrong with production at BioWare, maybe it is engine, maybe it is lack of vision or something entirely different but it is currently big issue for BioWare and EA has to do something.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can; but Anthem has always seemed mediocre to me from the start. I'm only going by anecdotal evidence, but I just don't see the hype for Anthem outside the small specific communities (OTs threads across different forums or specific subreddits). Keep in mind I wasn't really seeking it out, but I keep up with gaming news pretty much daily across multiple sites and rarely did I see Anthem being posted about positively outside of its reveal. The only times I would see Anthem news bleed over into my general gaming feed was negative reactions to the early demo they released.

And I like Bioware a lot and they've made some really outstanding games in the past. I mean if it weren't for EA placing some lofty expectations on what I presume over a game they at least heavily influenced Bioware to create (Or at least the type or genre), I think they could go on to make another great game. But the horror of Bioware's fate on the chopping block is grimly entertaining when it's EA who seems like it's trying as hard as it can to crash and burn. Apex Legends was just a lucky fluke among many failed attempts to chase trends.

We'll see what happens; but I was expecting Anthem to land at a 75%-80% review scores but maybe the less than stellar reviews won't have as large of an impact and Bioware will continue to soldier on but the anticipation of how this plays out is one of the reasons I keep up with as much gaming news as I can. I love the success stories like with Resident Evil 2 (2019) this year as much as the tragedies of companies making horrific flops like Artifact.
Very anecdotal, especially when it comes to GaaS games.

The first Destiny was shat on at GAF, so was Ghost Recon Wildlands. Both games turned out to be huge hits for their respective studios.

Not saying that Anthem will be a resounding success though (although I think it will sell very well)

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Just posting these unrelated gifs of the seamless Xenoblade X on the Wii U back in 2015

mech%2Bsuit.gif

latest

WeeklyPleasedAfricanrockpython.gif
Shame it took so damn long to get to the point of flying in X.
Also I loved the Battle Music, it's like a cheap, poor English knockoff Linkin Park with and I love it.

Also never forget "Uh, yeah, Uh, yeah, uh uh uh" the greatest town theme of all time.

Though to be fair I think the X soundtrack is overall great and doesn't get the praise it deserves, Uncontrollable especially is a bop.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How would you define 'playable'? Fallout 76 had multiple videos of game breaking bugs floating around the internet before it was even released.
For starters, I could walk from one end of the map to the other and enter my inventory menu at any point without encountering multiple loading screens in quick succession. Also, on the day Fallout 76 released, on its actual goddamn release day and not some insane eight-day window that was marketed as some weird "pay this way to play the live game early", there was a significant patch that eliminated a number of the crazier issues people encountered during the public beta period. That's not to say that the game was anywhere close to perfect by any means, because there were still a crazy amount of bugs at launch. But the game was playable.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just noting, it's not unheard of for a studio to basically completely overhault a game's systems over time. Just look at Warframe compared to its launch back in 2013 and now. It's almost a completely different game. But AAA publishers don't have that kind of patience.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I still think this will hit about 5 million sales in a month or so. The problem is the legs on it are going to be bad.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
man this "it has promise" thing has to stop..."it has promise" is synonymous with "somehow, it is lacking" and you shouldn´t judge anything on "potential" or "promise"...

As long as you don't let if effect your score it's completely fair to point out that something has potential.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Very anecdotal, especially when it comes to GaaS games.

The first Destiny was shat on at GAF, so was Ghost Recon Wildlands. Both games turned out to be huge hits for their respective studios.

Not saying that Anthem will be a resounding success though (although I think it will sell very well)

This is true; it could just be the genre doesn't appeal to me but I do know it's popular this gen. In that aspect I am not in my element when making a prediction.
I'm sure they can always have a sale soon if the game doesn't perform to opening expectations or find other ways to entice players in. Being their first game, I don't presume Bioware's team is going to be as efficient as a team that's launched a previous title or still maintaining their game. I know Bungie is hampered in developing quicker updates by their engine/pipeline so hopefully the same is not true for Bioware.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
More content too. Wasn't a good game by any means, but it worked in its own.... special Fallout 76 way. What I think I mean is that 76 has a far sturdier foundation for the inevitable Taken Radroach expansion.

Yeah....no Fallout 76 is complete and utter garbage. A 10/100 type of game. Anthem is not good but at least not that bad.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Just noting, it's not unheard of for a studio to basically completely overhault a game's systems over time. Just look at Warframe compared to its launch back in 2013 and now. It's almost a completely different game. But AAA publishers don't have that kind of patience.
Well take Mass Effect Andromeda, last patch was 1.10, any further bugs, problems, improvements, DLC, everything was literally abandoned, so tough shit to anyone who bought full price, now they want to do this rodeo AGAIN? Are people goldfish?

"This was the last official update for single player. Unlike prior fixes, this was not called a patch but an update "

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Warframe wasn't super shitty when it came out tho, and it wasn't asking people for $60.

I played Fallout 76 at launch, and while the game certainly has its problems, it was far more playable than Anthem.

This isn't at all true. F76 as a barely functional piece of software aside from how awful it was mechanically.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's super disappointing to see this getting a similar reaction/reception as Andromeda around its launch.

It's a real bummer to be a BioWare fan lately.

Andromeda is by far the better game, even at full price. I have no idea what Bioware was doing with all of the time they were allotted unless the majority of the resources went to Dragon Age.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
By what metric? Graphics? Sure.
I'm sure there are many reviews of Fallout 76 to explore out there detailing in painful detail why it scored low. But at least with that game, I'm sure there are still patches going out, Bethesda didn't just literally abandon it and stopped updates or any kind of post sale development like EA did with Andromeda. Watch them pull the same shit with Anthem, anyone with any sense wouldn't buy this product with these review scores based on their actions with Andromeda alone.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah....no Fallout 76 is complete and utter garbage. A 10/100 type of game. Anthem is not good but at least not that bad.
This post says absolutely nothing.

Graphics, bugs, lack of anything meaningful to do. It's a freaking fallout without npc's.
This post say says a little bit, but I wouldn't classify it as accurate. Sure, there aren't live NPCs outside of Grahm, but there are plenty of questlines to follow, enemies to fight, lore to find, weird things to encounter, and and ways to customize your character out of the gate.

If you want to judge both games on a content volume basis, Fallout 76 clearly has more varied things to see, do, and find than Anthem. How Fallout 76 looks isn't a big deal to me; I'm playing the game on a baseline PS4. And speaking of the PS4, if I played Fallout 76 on launch day, friends online would see I was playing Fallout 76. If I were playing Anthem, friends would see I was playing Dylan (Working Title). (How the hell did that happen?)

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Easy Allies just got their copy, 4 of them streaming their first experience with it. I know Huber wants to do a full playthrough of it.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
This post says absolutely nothing.

This post say says a little bit, but I wouldn't classify it as accurate. Sure, there aren't live NPCs outside of Grahm, but there are plenty of questlines to follow, enemies to fight, lore to find, weird things to encounter, and and ways to customize your character out of the gate.

If you want to judge both games on a content volume basis, Fallout 76 clearly has more varied things to see, do, and find than Anthem. How Fallout 76 looks isn't a big deal to me; I'm playing the game on a baseline PS4. And speaking of the PS4, if I played Fallout 76 on launch day, friends online would see I was playing Fallout 76. If I were playing Anthem, friends would see I was playing Dylan (Working Title). (How the hell did that happen?)

Wasn't Fallout 76 laughed at, though?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn dude, watching the Easy Allies stream, this looks like the blandest game of all time. At least Crackdown stood out.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
RIP Bioware i guess.. After this dissapointing release i bet EA will scrap Bioware as well. Wonder where the 6 years of development went too, so much stuff about this games seems borken to its core. The gameplay, the shooting, the looting, the loot, performance, loading screens etc etc.