• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
The "Bioware" that most people think of is Bioware Edmonton. Their last game, before Anthem, was DA:I.

Bioware Edmonton was not the main studio behind ME: A or SW:TOR, both of those games were made by new studios that EA setup and then slapped Bioware on to their names . They "did" have some help from some Bioware people on them who helped with various elements of the games, but the brunt work was mostly by new people.

ME3 sold well, DA:I sold well (it won GOTY by a ton of sites/magazines).

If Anthem doesn't sell well EA would be a straight up FOOL to can Bioware Edmonton over it, instead of simply letting them go back to making what their bread and butter is, good solid story focused rpgs.
Don't you see what the problem there is though? The average gamer won't differentiate from BioWare Edmonton or BioWare Vancouver, or Bioware whatever because they all carry the BioWare name. What one of those companies does will affect the others, even if its only in the eye of the consumer

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Of course it did, because people like you say they are the same studio.
I didn't say they are the same studio though so what are you on about? I said technically Andromeda was their last game because it carried the BioWare name and the average gamer will only see that, they don't care if it was Edmonton, Vancouver or whatever, all they see is BioWare. If they don't inform themselves they would never know

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Why would a nameless developer know the long-term business strategy of EA with regards to BioWare? I'm just saying. Montreal was absorbed mainly due to mismanagement as former developers have said on the record, not so much Andromeda's reception.

No my definition of "selling well" and "meeting expectations" comes straight from EA's Annual Financial Reports.

EDIT:

To be clear:

Those reports are merely confirming that the sales of Andromeda contributed to overall revenue - not that their 5 year investment with millions of dollars had met their expectations. I.e. Bioware's products have not met the ROI (return of investment) of EA for a very long time now and Andromeda is a key example of this.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what's exactly the problem with that? If Bioware can't deliver a product to achieve those goals then the problem it's them, not EA.

Respawn delivered.
Well a problem would be not every game benefits from that aggressive kind of monetization. Not every game can or should be monetized to the same degree or necessarily have the same expectations put on it, or at least the consequence is an homogenization of game design to the detriment of certain experiences. I believe the gaming space at a big publisher like EA needs variety as well, but they obviously disagree.

The problem is also people keep talking about Andromeda like it didn't flop out the door after a lengthy development time, and that Anthem isn't suffering a similar fate. I have absolutely no issue in saying Bioware is very much responsible for both these underwhelming products and I have even less of a problem calling them out for it. When I say Dragon Age is in danger regardless of how succesful DA:I is perceived to have been I'm not acting like "oh poor Bioware is being bullied by big bad EA", I'm just being realistic and saying I very much believe the future of that game depends on Anthem, and Bioware ain't been delivering for a while now.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say they are the same studio though so what are you on about? I said technically Andromeda was their last game because it carried the BioWare name and the average gamer will only see that, they don't care if it was Edmonton, Vancouver or whatever, all they see is BioWare. If they don't inform themselves they would never know

Because the studio that made Anthem technically didn't make Andromeda.

It's not the same team, you saying their last game was "technically Andromeda" is factually incorrect. It's wrong, it's false. The end.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Of course it did, because people like you say they are the same studio.
2781571-l.jpg
2781572-l.jpg

Those are the covers for Mass Effect Andromeda, nowhere does it say BioWare Montreal, it just says BioWare. You don't tell the consumer this they'll never know the difference

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Those reports are merely confirming that the sales of Andromeda contributed to overall revenue - not that their 5 year investment with millions of dollars had met their expectations. I.e. Bioware's products have not met the ROI (return of investment) of EA for a very long time now and Andromeda is a key example of this.

First please note that they stated that Andromeda was a "significant" contributor towards digital sales. Andromeda, on its own, made profits for EA, whether they were the profits they were anticipating is another discussion.

Q4 2017 Electronic Arts Inc Earnings Call said:
Net sales were $1.09 billion, above our guidance of $1.075 billion and 18%higher than last year. This excludes $53 million of net sales related to premium additions of Mass Effect: Andromeda that we had originally expected to capture in -- to be captured in Q4. They will now be captured in Q1.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Because the studio that made Anthem technically didn't make Andromeda.

It's not the same team, you saying their last game was "technically Andromeda" is factually incorrect. It's wrong, it's false. The end.
Alright buddy, whatever you say. Go and ask the average gamer who made ME:A and see what replies you get. And stop being so pissy and aggressive for no reason, its not good for you

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
It's not like BW Montreal made MEA in a vacuum. Tons of Edmonton resources and effort went into getting it done and out the door.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
ME3 was great as well, barring the last 20 minutes or so.

As probably one of the biggest fans of ME2 you'll find (I thought the first game was pretty awesome on PC initially, after dropping it, after renting it on the console due to the awful controls and UI), the ending of ME3 honestly did not bother me all that much. Primarily because the journey up until that point was mostly a slog to me coming off of the far superior previous game.

While ME3 arguably had better combat and a little more customization, the second game was the most complete package of the three and far and away had the best cast bar none. ME3 felt like this weird fan service for the most annoying characters of the series, while also shoehorning in a dudebro for the COD crowd. I barely cared about any of the squadmates aside from one or two returning characters and it felt even more slanted on being a cover shooter than the hybrid the series aimed to be from the start. By the time I was nearing the end, I didn't even care and just wanted it to be over. The writing of the game was so dull to me that I wasn't invested at all in the outcome.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
My fear now, if Bioware is allowed to continue on, is that resources will be diverted from Dragon Age 4 to fix Anthem, and that Dragon Age 4 will not be given any leeway on that in terms of development time or future extra resources.

Each disaster contributes to the next until you're in a death spiral.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Definitely, but if you ask some people apparently BioWare's A studio had nothing to do with it...

Anytime a 'B-team' or 'A-team' narrative pops up, the reason for it is pretty clear. It's that people hope that the studio's last mediocre or middling work wasn't ( which publicly was acknowledged to have not been made by the most experienced core leads ) is not a reflection of the studio's true prowess.

In some cases this narrative could appear to feel true. Uncharted 3 and Killzone Shadowfall were seen to be 'B-team' games, and the narrative supported this assumption with Horizon and TLOU turning out great and seen to be significantly better in spite being developed concurrently.

In some cases, maybe not.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
2781571-l.jpg
2781572-l.jpg

Those are the covers for Mass Effect Andromeda, nowhere does it say BioWare Montreal, it just says BioWare. You don't tell the consumer this they'll never know the difference
Alright buddy, whatever you say. Go and ask the average gamer who made ME:A and see what replies you get. And stop being so pissy and aggressive for no reason, its not good for you

I know what the boxes say, I know what average people will say, the problem is, I know different studios made different games, and you know different studios made different games, but for some reason you want to lump them together.

I'm sorry for getting all up in arms about this, I just see so many people being so negative all over the place with absolutely everything, that it's really making me go crazy.

Sorry.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I know what the boxes say, I know what average people will say, the problem is, I know different studios made different games, and you know different studios made different games, but for some reason you want to lump them together.

I'm sorry for getting all up in arms about this, I just see so many people being so negative all over the place with absolutely everything, that it's really making me go crazy.

Sorry.
Its fine dude, no worries. I understood your point the entire time, I was just pointing out that the average consumer would lump all the games together just because they carry the BioWare name. Its not right by all means, but it definitely happens a lot of times

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Hold up.

That's a load of horse shit. The grind to max light is well documented and discussed within Destiny communities. You couldn't even pull this off if you played for literally 48 hours straight (the two days you referenced), were carried through PvP, sherpa'd through raids, and no-lifed strikes and nightfalls. Let alone doing JUST public events and strikes.

I feel like this was an incredible derail from what was otherwise just going to be me lurking the Anthem review thread to gage the community feelings, but I had to point this out. Because if people are going to be comparing Anthem to Destiny, it's best we not be so blatantly false and disingenuous in doing so.
Raids? What are you talking about? At launch there was no raid to do, all that much more content was doing strikes and events

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The A and B Bioware teams narrative kinda doesn't matter when both just put out games with these many issues back to back. It was a talking point when Andromeda came out because the expectation was that the B team was hampered or rudderless while the A team hunkered down on the real deal.

That narrative should be dead already, yet here we are pretending it means anything anymore. The B team was consolidated into other parts of EA, and Bioware is just Anthem's Bioware now (and SWTOR support team I guess).

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Sorry.

Neither the investors nor the consumer cares about this, so who made which game is irrelevant as long as the name Bioware is tied to both. Consumers won't care to buy a game made by them if it sucks and investors surely won't bother to lose money with them either.

Raids? What are you talking about? At launch there was no raid to do, all that much more content was doing
strikes and events

Destiny shipped with a raid that was made available later after people were leveled enough to be able to play it. Like in every single damn MMO.

This argument that the game didn't had a raid at launch and was magically added later is beyond stupid, that's not how things work.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
My fear now, if Bioware is allowed to continue on, is that resources will be diverted from Dragon Age 4 to fix Anthem, and that Dragon Age 4 will not be given any leeway on that in terms of development time or future extra resources.

That's entirely possible.

Thing is, the review score only matters to EA *if the game underperforms*. That includes unit sales and MTX. Basically revenue (which is why 5M copies is still a miss if they had to be discounted 30-50%).

That is all that matters to EA (although they do support some great charities I'm sure). If it critically bombs but earns the revenue they want to see, BioWare comes out fine. If it doesn't earn enough, things get unpleasant.

Like someone said earlier, EA wants Ultimate team money.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BioWare will not be gutted and Dragon Age 4 is most likely still coming. The concerns about the future of BioWare are misplaced, in my opinion.
How do you possibly reason this? They haven't had a hit in half a decade. They keep dropping bombs and at this point its a kamikaze. Their sister studio got swallowed up for doing the precursor project to this game and had a better reception critically. Anthem is a GaaS these games are expensive as hell to make.. Respawn is KILLING it and has their Star Wars project, just like EA Motive did when they snatched up Bioware Montreal. Way I see it is, this game has until August to get its shit together or history will repeat itself.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart

I think you'll only have to worry about that if Anthem completely tanks, which we don't know yet. It might sell tons and if Bioware can pump out changes, fixes and additions fast enough and keep the players coming back they should be alright. The problem will come if 6 months from now the player base is dead because I'm not sure how much more leeway EA will be willing to give them after that

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
As probably one of the biggest fans of ME2 you'll find (I thought the first game was pretty awesome on PC initially, after dropping it, after renting it on the console due to the awful controls and UI), the ending of ME3 honestly did not bother me all that much. Primarily because the journey up until that point was mostly a slog to me coming off of the far superior previous game.

While ME3 arguably had better combat and a little more customization, the second game was the most complete package of the three and far and away had the best cast bar none. ME3 felt like this weird fan service for the most annoying characters of the series, while also shoehorning in a dudebro for the COD crowd. I barely cared about any of the squadmates aside from one or two returning characters and it felt even more slanted on being a cover shooter than the hybrid the series aimed to be from the start. By the time I was nearing the end, I didn't even care and just wanted it to be over. The writing of the game was so dull to me that I wasn't invested at all in the outcome.

ME3 was up there for Javik and Citadel alone.

As a singular, separated game it may be not really that special (excepting the MP which is just incredibly dope), but as a conclusion for a long time fans that have followed the series the beginning, I personally think ME3 was marvelous.

Also, I sincerely hope that DAI broke sales records makes it safe enough for a continuation even if Anthem right now is seemingly swerving into a terrible crash.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
How do you possibly reason this? They haven't had a hit in half a decade. They keep dropping bombs and at this point its a kamikaze. Their sister studio got swallowed up for doing the precursor project to this game and had a better reception critically. Anthem is a GaaS these games are expensive as hell to make.. Respawn is KILLING it and has their Star Wars project, just like EA Motive did when they snatched up Bioware Montreal. Way I see it is, this game has until August to get its shit together or history will repeat itself.

Read above. They didn't just lease a brand new massive building for BioWare with a bunch of tax incentives to gut them the next year.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
August? I don't think EA is that patient :)

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

As a singular, separated game it may be not really that special (excepting the MP which is just incredibly dope), but as a conclusion for a long time fans that have followed the series the beginning, I personally think ME3 was marvelous.

Also, I sincerely hope that DAI broke sales records makes it safe enough for a continuation even if Anthem right now is seemingly swerving into a terrible crash.
DAI sold "BioWare units" which are generally not enough for EA.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Don't you see what the problem there is though? The average gamer won't differentiate from BioWare Edmonton or BioWare Vancouver, or Bioware whatever because they all carry the BioWare name. What one of those companies does will affect the others, even if its only in the eye of the consumer

We aren't talking about the public opinion though, we are talking about what EA would do.

Let me put it this way, if you were the head of a huge corporation and you had many workers, you have one worker that has time and again "delivered" for you a great product that was both well received by critics and fans and sold well, then you have another worker who has been flaky and delivered half baked things. Then one day your go to guy has a bad day and doesn't deliver, would you then judge him, not based on HIS prior deliveries and products, but judge him based on a completely other person's quality or work?

Because that'd make no sense at all.

Do you honestly think if Bioware Edmonton goes back to make a new bigger next-gen story focused RPG that it'd be ignored by the masses because of Anthem or ME: A? Because it woudn't, at all.

It'd be like saying Blizzard is done for because of their whole Diablo fisaco and writing off Overwatch and WoW.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

The last game the main Bioware team made was Drsgon Age Inquisition and had incredible sales and won multiple GOTY's. Not sure where you think BioWare has been releasing flop after flop.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

While I agree that Javik was pretty great, and I thought the Citadel was as well, I just didn't care for much of anyone else. Javik, Garrus and Legion were the only interesting characters to me. The cameos were great, but that's all they were. My actual squad selection was not even close to as amazing as what ME2 offered. My second and third playthroughs of the game were more positive though after knowing what to expect, and I just played it for the gameplay alone (which is normally what I did anyway after an initial playthrough of any of them). I also think the game was vastly improved as a whole once I was able to replay it with all of the DLC finally released. But the base game by itself on my first playthrough was just..."let it end". And when it finally did, I was pretty apathetic to it and glad it was over.

It's incredible to me how their writing just keeps getting worse over time, and in each consecutive game I find less and less characters to get invested in too. It's been downhill entirely since ME3. Somehow, Anthem's writing makes DA:I and especially Andromeda look like master classes in comparison.

Last edited:

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
TBD about Anthem. Maybe it will sell like hot cakes. There seem to be some very passionate fans of the game.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
That's entirely possible.

Thing is, the review score only matters to EA *if the game underperforms*. That includes unit sales and MTX. Basically revenue (which is why 5M copies is still a miss if they had to be discounted 30-50%).

That is all that matters to EA (although they do support some great charities I'm sure). If it critically bombs but earns the revenue they want to see, BioWare comes out fine. If it doesn't earn enough, things get unpleasant.

Like someone said earlier, EA wants Ultimate team money.

I agree with the bold.

Any game, though, will theoretically sell less than its potential with a lower aggregate review score than a higher one.

The question is if they internally factored in it would review low and based their sales forecast on that. If that can even be factored in. Lots of moving parts there.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
While I agree that Javik was pretty great, and I thought the Citadel was as well, I just didn't care for much of anyone else. Javik, Garrus and Legion were the only interesting characters to me. The cameos were great, but that's all they were. My actual squad selection was not even close to as amazing as what ME2 offered. My second and third playthroughs of the game were more positive though after knowing what to expect, and I just played it for the gameplay alone (which is normally what I did anyway after an initial playthrough of any of them). I also think the game was vastly improved as a whole once I was able to replay it with all of the DLC finally released. But the base game by itself on my first playthrough was just..."let it end". And when it finally did, I was pretty apathetic to it and glad it was over.

I honestly thought around 90% of ME3 was great, hahaha. It's especially satisfying to see stuff like Genophage and Tali/Legion got completed in such a satisfying/devastating way (depending your choice).

Yea the ending sucked so bad, haha.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wanna change the terminology? It's a complete mess, and technical bugs are the least of it's problems. Nobody is telling you should be ashamed for liking it, this is the key issue everyone is so blind to see for the sake of being positive for no reason at all.

You can still like and play the game, but the massive problems it have won't go away with that, and if the amount of problems is big enough to overcome the positive, then of course you'll hear nothing but negative facts about the game. That's not bandwagoning hate, that would be saying the game is bad cause EA is bad, publishers are bad, bla bla, typical youtube comment level of argument.

Literally there's an entire subreddit trying to wipe away negativity about the game and live in a complete echo chamber of positivity cause they can't handle the truth of facts. They can't handle it, they don't want to handle it. "Ignorance is bliss" the subreddit, literally.
I can't see how I could change the terminology when it is your terminology? You said the game is shit which implies there is nothing positive at all and hard lines hyperbole but also you reinforced it by saying that only positive criticism can be had. That is true for echo chambers like Reddit and I agree, though realistically Reddit is just an OT here where most are there to enioy the game and most will ignore criticism in favour of playing the game. Doesn't excuse both sides of criticism but I just don't agree with blanketing a game as just "shit" but hey DLC is free so who cares right? 🙃

It just can be a better construct of criticism is all. Not a "no don't say bad things *head in sand*" but just not be like "game shit yo." I mean free DLC is definitely a nicer pill to swallow.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
We aren't talking about the public opinion though, we are talking about what EA would do.

Let me put it this way, if you were the head of a huge corporation and you had many workers, you have one worker that has time and again "delivered" for you a great product that was both well received by critics and fans and sold well, then you have another worker who has been flaky and delivered half baked things. Then one day your go to guy has a bad day and doesn't deliver, would you then judge him, not based on HIS prior deliveries and products, but judge him based on a completely other person's quality or work?

Because that'd make no sense at all.

Do you honestly think if Bioware Edmonton goes back to make a new bigger next-gen story focused RPG that it'd be ignored by the masses because of Anthem or ME: A? Because it woudn't, at all.

It'd be like saying Blizzard is done for because of their whole Diablo fisaco and writing off Overwatch and WoW.
That's a fiar point, but look at it this way. What incentive does EA have to make BioWare go back to their roots when their development cycles have been rocky for quite some time? Without any guarantees that BioWare is gonna make a certified hit EA just might say fuck it and downsize. Anyway, its all speculation and no-one knows where EA's head is at when it comes to BioWare. We'll find out soon enough I guess, but you can't say for certainty that Dragon Age wouldn't be affected by Andromeda and Anthem, we don't know that

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
TBD about Anthem. Maybe it will sell like hot cakes. There seem to be some very passionate fans of the game.

Yeah, I kinda feel that the sales will still be quite impressive. I could be dead wrong but I think the looter shooter community will stick up for this and support it as long as BioWare recognizes and keeps listening/ tailoring the game to them.

Bungie's biggest mistake was disregarding this community in order to capture a more casual audience. If BioWare keeps the focus on the hardcore community, this game will do well and they'll be given the time to fix the issues.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read above. They didn't just lease a brand new massive building for BioWare with a bunch of tax incentives to gut them the next year.
Interesting, so you think they'll be given a new project? Maybe not outright shuttered, but I think the odds of them becoming a stretch team for other EA studios is high.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why would a nameless developer know the long-term business strategy of EA with regards to BioWare? I'm just saying. Montreal was absorbed mainly due to mismanagement as former developers have said on the record, not so much Andromeda's reception.

No my definition of "selling well" and "meeting expectations" comes straight from EA's Annual Financial Reports.

EDIT:

To be clear:
you're not doing a good job of parsing the weasel words

"significant" is a word that could mean anything. in daily speech, it has a meaning similar to "considerable" but in other contexts (e.g. scientific writing) it just means "non-zero"

Q1 2018 Electronic Arts Inc Earnings Call said:
Net sales for the quarter were $775 million, up $93 million on the prior year and $25 million above our guidance. There was an FX headwind ofapproximately $16 million compared to the prior year. The outperformance relative to guidance was driven by Ultimate Team, The Sims 4 and FIFA Online 3. Year-on-year growth was driven by the Mass Effect: Andromeda sales captured in the quarter and by FIFA.
was anything of note released by EA in their Q1 FY 2017 (spring 2016)? (i can't find anything.) otherwise, this is not impressive. earning more in a quarter where a big-budget game was released than in the same quarter the year previous when they didn't have any notable release is to be expected. nothing to brag about

Q4 2017 Electronic Arts Inc Earnings Call said:
Net sales were $1.09 billion, above our guidance of $1.075 billion and 18%higher than last year. This excludes $53 million of net sales related to premium additions of Mass Effect: Andromeda that we had originally expected to capture in -- to be captured in Q4. They will now be captured in Q1.
that corresponds to about one million digital copies sold. again, not impressive for a game of that budget

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's a fiar point, but look at it this way. What incentive does EA have to make BioWare go back to their roots when their development cycles have been rocky for quite some time? Without any guarantees that BioWare is gonna make a certified hit EA just might say fuck it and downsize. Anyway, its all speculation and no-one knows where EA's head is at when it comes to BioWare. We'll find out soon enough I guess, but you can't say for certainty that Dragon Age wouldn't be affected by Andromeda and Anthem, we don't know that

They haven't been rocky at all, DA:I sold like hotcakes (their biggest selling game to date), ME3 was a hit (over 6 million copies sold), if Anthem doesn't perform well (and it very well still could) then it'd literally be Bioware Edmonton's first under performing game for EA. It will also be easy for Bioware to tell EA that trying to force the studio into a mp focused "gaas" game model isn't for them and would help Bioware leverage EA to let them go back to the types of games that they have proven time and again to make good and sell well for EA.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe these review scores mean anything to EA by themselves. It's all about how much $$$ the game ultimately makes.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Javik is great and I imagine he works whether or not you're actually enjoying ME3 since his role is basically to roast the game he's appearing in.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, so you think they'll be given a new project? Maybe not outright shuttered, but I think the odds of them becoming a stretch team for other EA studios is high.

DA4 has already been announced. EA will likely retain commitment to Anthem, they aren't going to abandon a new IP they've invested 6+ years in. And, they aren't done with Mass Effect. BioWare has plenty of work for the future.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The "Bioware" that most people think of is Bioware Edmonton. Their last game, before Anthem, was DA:I.

Bioware Edmonton was not the main studio behind ME: A or SW:TOR, both of those games were made by new studios that EA setup and then slapped Bioware on to their names . They "did" have some help from some Bioware people on them who helped with various elements of the games, but the brunt work was mostly by new people.

ME3 sold well, DA:I sold well (it won GOTY by a ton of sites/magazines).

If Anthem doesn't sell well EA would be a straight up FOOL to can Bioware Edmonton over it, instead of simply letting them go back to making what their bread and butter is, good solid story focused rpgs.
EA making foolish decisions? Well I never

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

What sucks about this is that Bioware could make a hit, even the current Bioware. The problem is that they can't just make a hit, it needs to make back a ludicrous sum of money in return. Simply selling five million copies alone is not enough anymore (even if it quadruples the return of investment), it needs to have "incentives" for people to stick around and to be milked for months, if not years after.

I actually kind of hate the way the AAA industry is anymore. I get that games are expensive, and that money is always the main reason for developers to be given the funds that allow them to "mostly" make their vision, but too much of them are dictated by money and only money now. It stifles actual creativity and mostly leads to trend chasing. Bioware can't make games anymore for Bioware fans. They have to make the same generic "every game for everyone" as everyone else.

It doesn't matter what the Bioware PR says, Papa EA is pulling the strings in the macro side of things.

DA4 has already been announced. EA will likely retain commitment to Anthem, they aren't going to abandon a new IP they've invested 6+ years in. And, they aren't done with Mass Effect. BioWare has plenty of work for the future.

I hope you're right with your seemingly overly faithful outlook. They dropped the shit out of Andromeda very quickly, which was then Bioware's flagship series. If this game doesn't sell enough, then not enough people will be buying the overpriced--and so far not even that great compared to the base options--skins, what reason will EA have to continue supporting it? Look at what happened to Visceral and Dead Space 3, which was in a very similar scenario.

Last edited:

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
They haven't been rocky at all, DA:I sold like hotcakes (their biggest selling game to date), ME3 was a hit (over 6 million copies sold), if Anthem doesn't perform well (and it very well still could) then it'd literally be Bioware Edmonton's first under performing game for EA. It will also be easy for Bioware to tell EA that trying to force the studio into a mp focused "gaas" game model isn't for them and would help Bioware leverage EA to let them go back to the types of games that they have proven time and again to make good and sell well for EA.
How many copies do you think DAI sold?

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I hope you're right, time will tell as it always does