• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
So I heard this street rumor that Anthem was suppose to be a single player game at first, and was changed to this. A bunch of Bioware devs were not happy with the changes and joined Ubisoft and they worked on the recent Assassin's Creed games.

I've no idea if this is true, but I'm really curious about the story behind this game. Hopefully journalists are doing their work.
Not true tbh.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: inflammatory Generalizations
I can see the Anthem subreddit is in the "Bargaining" stage of the 5 stages of grief right now seeing Skillup's video got over 3k upvote.

Nice to see the cringy circlejerk feast is over and now people get to have some serious discussion going without getting all the MAGA fans triggered.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
The same was thought of Bioware after Mass Effect 2.

It looks like Respawn has enough pull to kind of deliver its own product despite EA intervention. There is a clear trajectory BioWare has taken since being acquired by EA. I think the big question will be if Respawn can choose its own engine - if the Respawn Star Wars games are on Frostbite then there may be some concern to be had there. I'm thinking that since EA canceled Visceral's Star Wars game in part because Respawn's was going so smoothly - if I remember correctly - then Respawn's game is probably going to be of the usual quality from them.

With that said, I have played most of my 10 hour trial and have enjoyed Anthem. If the bugs are corrected, then Anthem will be my favorite looter shooter based on what I've played. It is clear that EA hasn't been a great publisher for BioWare though.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
i will gladly post the Sapphire R series graphic cards ad again:

DCEx-w_XYAA7eYB.jpg

51cMk2kovnL._SY450_.jpg

since the first reveal i immediately thought of graphic card packaging when seeing the javelins.

You're not wrong but I hate you for doing this.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Guys I know its fun to dunk on this game but please think of the share holders.

Would EA be crazy enough to shoot Bioware in the back? How many studios do they have left that's not DICE, Respawn or the Sports Devs.
EDIT: I forgot they are making Dragon Age something, so I guess they get to continue working for now.

The studio is set to move to a new bigger location. The move has been pushed back at least once already but last I heard is still planned. If it doesn't happen this year I would worry. If EA does decide bioware is not worth it i would hope they'd sell them off instead of just shuttering the studio. Lots of talented people there being stifled by suits. They'd make a good first party addition Phil.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck, I was honestly hoping this game would be good so I had another looter shooter to play, but I guess I'm just gonna end up skipping this too.

Oct 31, 2017
So which is the bigger blow up. This or Fallout 76? Both of these games were on my radar but damn did they drop the ball.
Gotta be Anthem. 76's reveal was a bit hype amongst the franchise enthusiasts but people saw it was on their ancient engine and expected a buggy mess to begin with.

Anthem was toted as a Destiny killer, which thanks to goal post moving was then described as something akin to diablo. The Bob Dylan of videogames, people actually believed the crap EA was selling them with that dumb e3 trailer. Not to mention that a large portion of that community has been in firm, angry denial up until this week when there wasn't a single outlet out there trying to recommend this game. Some people pinned everything on this title. BioWare as a name of quality is pretty much over at this point too. What I wouldn't give to see them produce an excellent Dragon Age follow up, but I have zero faith now.

EDIT: posters above me are saying 76. It's fair if you think "blow up" considering the CEs and all that trickery. I was thinking general disappointment!

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Anthem. 76's reveal was a bit hype amongst the franchise enthusiasts but people saw it was on their ancient engine and expected a buggy mess to begin with.

Anthem was toted as a Destiny killer, which thanks to goal post moving was then described as something akin to diablo. The Bob Dylan of videogames, people actually believed the crap EA was selling them with that dumb e3 trailer. Not to mention that a large portion of that community has been in firm, angry denial up until this week when there wasn't a single outlet out there trying to recommend this game. Some people pinned everything on this title. BioWare as a name of quality is pretty much over at this point too. What I wouldn't give to see them produce an excellent Dragon Age follow up, but I have zero faith now.

in terms of disappointment, yeah Anthem, everyone expected FO76 to fail lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So which is the bigger blow up. This or Fallout 76? Both of these games were on my radar but damn did they drop the ball.

I honestly think it's this, even if 76 had some extra continual fuckups (like the whole bag thing).

FO76 had a sorta weird reveal. They hyped it up as more than just a stopgap, but at the end of the day...it pretty much exists solely as just that, while they still dropped the fact that there's more normal Bethesda stuff like the next Elder Scrolls and Starfield on the way. It hopefully lit a fire under their ass to make them wake up and realize that people won't just support anything they shovel out, but they're going to still truck on and make their big titles.

Anthem is years and years of the main studios work dropping with straight up baffling design decisions and issues everywhere. Mass Effect was caught in the crossfire with Andromeda being handed off to a different team while this seemed like the main focus, to the point where that IP may very well have been killed. This game doing poorly will be so much harder for Bioware to recover from. Though I do think there is a better chance they can pull the product here into something better down the line, I just don't know if they'll really be allowed to put the time into doing that, plus I would certainly not recommend any fan actually purchase this as it is now.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I admittedly never got how some people were really hyped for this to begin with, always looked like a low 80's generic AAA game to me, although the way it's tracking now is really surprising.

I don't remember the reveal really grabbing a lot of people at the time either.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I know its fun to dunk on this game but please think of the share holders.

The studio is set to move to a new bigger location. The move has been pushed back at least once already but last I heard is still planned. If it doesn't happen this year I would worry. If EA does decide bioware is not worth it i would hope they'd sell them off instead of just shuttering the studio. Lots of talented people there being stifled by suits. They'd make a good first party addition Phil.
The idea that EA would sell Bioware off to Microsoft rather than dissolve it into their other studios as they've done countless times before is a fantasy. Phil isn't going to swoop in and rescue them. And that aside, the Bioware of today isn't the same Bioware that was responsible for Dragon Age and the Mass Effect trilogy.

Bioware isn't dead. They're just something else at this point.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

EDIT: posters above me are saying 76. It's fair if you think "blow up" considering the CEs and all that trickery. I was thinking general disappointment!

& i agree: i think many people were prepared for fallout 76 to be somewhat flawed (to put it mildly). but anthem? following on the heels of andromeda, with bioware's future on the line, there was just no way anthem could ever to afford to be the half-baked, uninspired game it's turned out to be...

senpai

Oct 28, 2017

Anthem of course...F76 was not such a big release. It was like a dlc to Fallout 4...I never cared
But Anthem was hyped a lot, it was from Bioware, a new IP, AAA title...

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem of course...F76 was not such a big release. It was like a dlc to Fallout 4...I never cared
But Anthem was hyped a lot, it was from Bioware, a new IP, AAA title...

FO4 sold more in its first month of release than any BioWare game ever has sold LTD. So I am not sure I buy that FO76 was not a big deal.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it weren't for their sports titles, EA would be in trouble

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Does this game have anything similar to a Vault of Glass style raid in intricacy and scope?

In the private alpha I thought I could get on board with the game, but I would have never guessed that after all these other games got crap for lack of end game content and the repetitive nature of it, that the same fate would befall this game. I seriously couldn't fathom a situation where BioWare didn't over deliver to make a strong statement and capture the market. I honest to god even thought the Fort Tarsis structure then was just a fill in from an old build that would be much more improved when it really mattered in the final product.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it is great it'll be three star wars games in 5-7 years.

That's probably all the Marvel games we'll get from Square Enix in that timeframe, and that's probably all any big publisher would be able to do without canceling all of their in-progress works. If more companies could make the games, would they bother in today's market? Even Lego stopped making their games after The Force Awakens despite all these Star Wars movies releasing.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Does this game have anything similar to a Vault of Glass style raid in intricacy and scope?

In the private alpha I thought I could get on board with the game, but I would have never guessed that after all these other games got crap for lack of end game content and the repetitive nature of it, that the same fate would befall this game. I seriously couldn't fathom a situation where BioWare didn't over deliver to make a strong statement and capture the market. I honest to god even thought the Fort Tarsis structure then was just a fill in from an old build that would be much more improved when it really mattered in the final product.

No and there's nothing announced about it, not a single looter shooter has managed to come close to what Bungie has delivered with their raids.

Hopefully Division 2 releases something interesting following the same concept.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

no raids for now

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
The idea that EA would sell Bioware off to Microsoft rather than dissolve it into their other studios as they've done countless times before is a fantasy. Phil isn't going to swoop in and rescue them. And that aside, the Bioware of today isn't the same Bioware that was responsible for Dragon Age and the Mass Effect trilogy.

Bioware isn't dead. They're just something else at this point.
They're something worse...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not from me and others, obviously, but many other posters here really hung all their hopes on this patch for some reason.
And theyre living in la la land if they ever thought that. It would be even more ludicrous if people in the industry, who obviously know that this sort of thing never fixes the problems, held off hoping this would change anything.

IGN is going to review the game well

Another reason to never take ign seriously.