• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when BioWare and Bethesda were at the top of the world? What happened? Where did those original devs go after they finished Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim?
Chasing that multiplayer GAAS money, even though that's the last thing they're good at. It's like if Naughty Dog made a puzzle game.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Holy shit looking at the bug list on reddit. Random game breaking stuff. People are loosing loot after missions? That's basically unplayable.
I would not like to be a bioware dev right now. The higher ups are gonna burn them alive and blame them for everything.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I can't believe it has less score than Andromeda.

Well, I guess we will continue to see the death of the EA studios and IPs as EA continues to chase style over substance.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
The bizarre thing is the lack of loot and unique gun models. Modeling weapons, especially when you're paying artists to come up with art, is considerably easier than designing the rest of the game. To just have the same basic model with a few color variations is absolutely crazy.

I read that there is only like 3 or 4 models per weapon type ? Is this true ? Do Masterwork/Legendary weapon (basically Purple and Yellow quality from Destiny) have unique models ?

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I read that there is only like 3 or 4 models per weapon type ? Is this true ? Do Masterwork/Legendary weapon (basically Purple and Yellow quality from Destiny) have unique models ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHqRRSaE5U

This video will answer the question for you. But unless you're holding onto hope that there is good news waiting for you on this front - nope, there aren't any unique models for the higher tier weapons.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I heard this street rumor that Anthem was suppose to be a single player game at first, and was changed to this. A bunch of Bioware devs were not happy with the changes and joined Ubisoft and they worked on the recent Assassin's Creed games.

I've no idea if this is true, but I'm really curious about the story behind this game. Hopefully journalists are doing their work.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did IGN get paid to hold off their review? Why is everyone so late?

tenor.gif

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There is some coolness factor at play here. The mechs look really cool. The Division 2 will probably be a better game but none of it's visuals look as attractive as Anthem.

The Division 2 at least has some variety in its map and some fairly unique areas within it. For the life of me I can't remember a single identifiable landmark in Bastion other than the Fortress of Dawn. There is a real, real issue with monotony in this game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is some coolness factor at play here. The mechs look really cool. The Division 2 will probably be a better game but none of it's visuals look as attractive as Anthem.
I mean, as someone who thinks the Division setting looks boring as hell, there are still at least 3 other science fiction looter shooters I could be playing before Anthem.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's just the difference between a sci-fi game and a military game.

The Division 2 definitely looks better visually, especially when you take into account animations and all that.

Anthem's still got that Bioware jank with all its animations.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
This game needs a Realm Reborn style reboot. Seeing my friend keep getting stuck in the Fort Tarsis is just sad.

A loading screen just to inform you you got disconnected. lol

What? The game is disappointing, but a RR level reboot is essentially new game. Everything in 14 1.0 was a mess, from combat to the UI to world design. There are pieces of a good game in anthem. The game is easily salvageable, the hope everyone has is that they knew this going in and already have a plan. If biowares heads are up it's own ass and they needed reviews and streamers to call them out on their shit, then I can only see fundemental system changes coming far far too late.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

I think they're running a lot of anthem promotions, so I'm going to assume they're most likely to play nice to EA and hold their review off until they have time to look at the game after this patch.

I also have a feeling IGN gives a relatively high score. (and by relatively high, I'm guessing a 7.5)

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Remember when BioWare and Bethesda were at the top of the world? What happened? Where did those original devs go after they finished Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim?

Studios change with time. The experienced folk who made those classics you love move onto to other studios, other projects, and such. I can't remember who said this, but I've found this quote a fair assumption of things: "You're only as good as the last game you make."

So I heard this street rumor that Anthem was suppose to be a single player game at first, and was changed to this. A bunch of Bioware devs were not happy with the changes and joined Ubisoft and they worked on the recent Assassin's Creed games.

I've no idea if this is true, but I'm really curious about the story behind this game. Hopefully journalists are doing their work.

So I heard this street rumor that [poorly reviewed game] was suppose to be/have [feature] at first, and was changed to this. A bunch of [poorly reviewed game's development studio] devs were not happy with the changes and joined [random publisher or developer] and they worked on [game that has previously mentioned feature].

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
just realize there is only 17 reviews and we have 80 pages. i know there is alot of impressions of the game, but good god this thread will be in chaos when the floodgates open.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's just the difference between a sci-fi game and a military game.

The Division 2 definitely looks better visually, especially when you take into account animations and all that.

Anthem's still got that Bioware jank with all its animations.
I also got jank from The Division 2 beta. I'm not saying both are perfect but Anthem's mech designs and movement looked interesting.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Would EA be crazy enough to shoot Bioware in the back? How many studios do they have left that's not DICE, Respawn or the Sports Devs.
EDIT: I forgot they are making Dragon Age something, so I guess they get to continue working for now.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Studios change with time. The experienced folk who made those classics you love move onto to other studios, other projects, and such. I can't remember who said this, but I've found this quote a fair assumption of things: "You're only as good as the last game you make".
I'm pretty sure that was Dr Greg Zeschuk, now retired Bioware founder.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

Because it's an online MMO-shooter type game and more often game sites try to hold off on a review score and do more of an ongoing rolling coverage of an online focused game due to the propensity of patches and also sometimes early server performance issues so that they don't have to re-write sections later and can avoid all the comments of 'They gave it a 6?! But the problems they complain about aren't even problems anymore!' or from players who come in post some of the issues being resolved and complain about what they consider incorrect information even if it was correct at the time.

Some of these online-action RPG hybrids aren't even the same game months later than they were at launch which has gotta be annoying if you're meant to review it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It still bums me out that EA was the one to get the Star Wars license. Like, what a fucking waste.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHqRRSaE5U

This video will answer the question for you. But unless you're holding onto hope that there is good news waiting for you on this front - nope, there aren't any unique models for the higher tier weapons.

Lol, I remember when people complaining Destiny 2 have too much reskin and not enough weapon models, and in that game purple-quality weapon use new models you didn't see when you are levelling (I'm pretty sure non of the Green/Blue weapons model reused for Purple weapons)....

What really hurts is that Bioware seems to be really confident with the game, with how open and transparent they are leading up to release.

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
I loved the demo, and loved my 10 hour trial. I just pray that it sells well enough for them to continue to really invest time to get it running properly. Sucks that the game is so buggy right now, but I'm gonna have fun getting my Javelins powered up for 6 months from now when the game is actually complete.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I loved the demo, and loved my 10 hour trial. I just pray that it sells well enough for them to continue to really invest time to get it running properly. Sucks that the game is so buggy right now, but I'm gonna have fun getting my Javelins powered up for 6 months from now when the game is actually complete.
So even - and I'm just genuinely curious - playing the same strongholds over and over holds your interest?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Have Bioware/EA made any statement regarding the amount of data that the game reads from the hard disk in a relatively short period of time? I have honestly never seen something so nutty before, as if it's writing straight to the disk, then reading it, instead of just using memory.