• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The charge up sniper rifle did decent damage in the demo, but it was still a 2 hit kill on elites (which are just the tier above regular trash) and long ass reload times, poor ammo capacity and on hard when there are still 3 difficulties above it. Read reports of freeplay bosses taking 25 to 30 minutes, with gear check enrage mechanics that didn't even give out decent loot.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just feel real bad for all the people at BioWare that worked on this now. Its never really looked like a game I would like but as someone who puts some of BioWare's older, pre ME2 era games as some of the best ever, this is just really sad to see. Get back to your roots BioWare.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled the Dawn edition and got the normal edition for now.
Friends still want to play it despite all the bad receptions.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
But then everyone that mattered left the company. Lol

I mean... People come and go at every organisation.

Part of any company's job is to hire newcomers, build up new talent, and elevate the right kind of leadership that would ensure a continuity of the company's legacy and culture of excellence as the 'ones that mattered' pass the torch to the next-generation of leaders.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
there are people reporting save data loss on console after the update..

does this mean the character data isn´t even stored on their servers? if so then holy hell....

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when BioWare and Bethesda were at the top of the world? What happened? Where did those original devs go after they finished Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim?

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know not many here liked Inquisition as much as i did but how are they regressing with frostbite. It had its issues but it seemed like they had put in the foundation work to build off of for future games.

Nov 27, 2017
California
aside from pre loading, why pre order a digital copy
when reviews come out a week or days before you can just pre order/load there
Speeds have improved a bit

Pretty disappointed in the reviews, had high hopes but I'll definitely get the game when it hits a price drop

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This is really hard to believe, especially after Andromeda. The explanation that EA was being EA and that the Bioware A team was focusing on Anthem, which is why Andromeda was so shoddy, seemed logical.

But this, what the fuck is going on at Bioware.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm crazy and still considering getting this. I'm itching to buy a new game and I'll be interested in the journey (or possibe lack of) to see how BioWare improves the game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... People come and go at every organisation.

Part of any company's job is to hire newcomers, build up new talent, and elevate the right kind of leadership that would ensure a continuity of the company's legacy and culture of excellence as the 'ones that mattered' pass the torch to the next-generation of leaders.
Or you can reboot the company into something else.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Borderlands 2 is still the GOAT loot shooter. Any one that disagrees can fight me! It's embarrassing that all this time later all these imitators can't even come close to it's brilliance. I'm hoping for a 2019 release with next gen enhancements.
Man Borderlands is really what BW should have been looking at in terms of marrying lootin and story and online. Instead they made some patched together Frankenstein game of lootin and story. Shit they have a better example themselves in The Old Republic.

What happened

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Nah bruh. Looter-shooters are just coming this generation because hardware is really only now able to support them in concept. Looter games have been some of the most popular genre of games of the last 20 years. Consider Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Warframe, Path of Exile, Torchlight, Destiny, Destiny 2, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and so on. All looters. All have sold millions upon millions of copies (or have millions of players in the case of the F2P ones). People love looters and the repetition they come with in the quest of finding something just a little better. People always will.

Bioware possibly failing to make a sufficiently good entry into this space is a different issue than a whole slice of the genre (shooter-based looter games) not being viable. It's okay for looter games to not be for you as long as you understand that you are not special and something not catering to your interests doesn't mean there isn't an audience.

Fair enough, my first real experience was with Destiny, but Ive played Borderlands and some of Diablo which I liked. But it feels as if this generations games don't match up to that of last gen. Is that because these games are struggling with the online mechanics? It feels as if the big 3 this gen are all expensive looking games that don't seem to have what the older gen games have. Though you are right, the games are not for me but they are clearly successful. It just feels like they were going to be bigger deals than they ended up being.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Anyone posted Angry Joe's rant?

The best part of this video is when Joe had to sit through a loading screen only to be told that connection to the server was lost.

I can't.

It seems like interrupted session > load state_out_of_session > inform user, with a priority to load the proper state instead of actually addressing the user.

The engine doesn't seem to be able to handle simple solved problems like this.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The best part of this video is when Joe had to sit through a loading screen only to be told that connection to the server was lost.

I can't.

It was hilarious and sad.

And then we get people that attempt to normalize it as the reality of these types of games and will get fixed eventually.

I really hate that handwaive... I really do.

Christ, I miss old bioware!

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Anyone posted Angry Joe's rant?

758BE3A0565B32522567B47696C8954204D01EE0

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It even breaks me that they didn't even think of contextual loading screens. Some data about the mission or area you are about to enter? More story context? A map maybe or other useful information... if you must have them and obviously realized through testing that your game would be filled with them at least make them more pallatable... Nope. Just generic hints and pics of your generic enemies.

Don't want to sound too intense here, but when your head is on the game and you are probably not pressured by having to ship an incomplete mess, those are the kind of things that probably spring to mind to at least include.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
See that's so baffling to me. Why do they still want to play? Is this genre completely critique-proof?

I still find the gameplay loop pretty enjoyable when the damn game works.

It even breaks me that they didn't even think of contextual loading screens. Some data about the mission or area you are about to enter? More story context? A map maybe or other useful information... if you must have them and obviously realized through testing that your game would be filled with them? Nope. Just generic hints and pics of your generic enemies.

Don't want to sound too intense here, but when your head is on the game and you are probably not pressured by having to ship an incomplete mess, those are the kind of things that probably spring to mind to at least include.

Even destiny 1 gave us that stupid flying ship load screen.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
there are people reporting save data loss on console after the update..

does this mean the character data isn´t even stored on their servers? if so then holy hell....

There was a time when local save data/progression being lost or overwritten on your local machine meant you wouldn't pass cert or be allowed to release.

Games sure have changed.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Just wanted to chime in and say I really feel so bad for Bioware but this is inexcusable. The amount of content they put out for launch doesnt make me want to even touch this game. I may not even buy it given it's a buggy mess and seems to have less content than both Destiny games at launch. I'm so disappointed.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have been burned twice by bioware. First andromeda and now this , both preorders . I guess its time to wait for reviews now . Mass effect trilogy was so good. How can they go from that to this junk . Has the studio radically changed in personnel from that time or EA instructed them to go after audience ? Well I'll wait for jason to write something about it

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really believe the local save progression loss bugs reports. There must be something else. Character data saved locally for this kind of game must be 101 of no-nos. We all know it leads to people modifying those saves and breaking the game... I just don't believe they would do that.

Even destiny 1 gave us that stupid flying ship load screen.
Different kinds of games and all, but I remember a bit of a trend of games doing story recaps and lore through loading screens. They don't even have to be interactive. I was always impressed with games like Arkham Knight and The Witcher for the amount of different contextual loading screens they had, some that you would never see if you binged the game and moved the plot forward. But again, I guess that's the kind of thing you get to when your priorities aren't making sure the game runs at all...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and say I really feel so bad for Bioware but this is inexcusable. The amount of content they put out for launch doesnt make me want to even touch this game. I may not even buy it given it's a buggy mess and seems to have less content than both Destiny games at launch. I'm so disappointed.

The bizarre thing is the lack of loot and unique gun models. Modeling weapons, especially when you're paying artists to come up with art, is considerably easier than designing the rest of the game. To just have the same basic model with a few color variations is absolutely crazy.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
WTF are you talking about. Yeah, because you are the only one who has ever played loot games, lmao (talking to the guy who has 3k on hours on Path of Exile and Diablo combined btw). I never said anything about it killing a game. Of course using loot in gameplay is ultimately the point, that was exactly my point when I said "loot is gameplay", simply because it enables you with its ever increasing stats and unique modifiers, and it is something Anthem's loot is severely lacking on.

But the reveal itself is just as important. The items themselves are just as important. Are we really ignoring all the audiovisual feedback around how loot dropped in Diablo and the effects it had on players? I could probably link anyone who has played Diablo games here to a soundboard and they would instantly recognize the blips of items qualities and varieties dropping, triggering some key chords in their memory banks, something Anthem also does poorly. The small anticipation period before the item is even identified through a scroll or other method was there for a reason.

Every single bit of that is core to the loot game experience. If you are arguing that no one plays looter games and gets satisfaction from the simple audiovisual feedback of loot dropping, equipping, stat comparing or even hitting a certain number/stat on crafting bench before any monster killing happens I'm ready to call you completely delusional. It's CORE to the looter genre. Anthem's design, from UI, loadings, to feedback, to the loot itself absolutely kneecaps this experience compared to other games.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. The moment I read "diablo" I heard the sound in my head, completely pavlovian at this point ^^