• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but like I have already said they are going to minimize loading times which will help. The frequency isn't a big deal if it's short. Also just changing the distance of the group join loading screen could completely eliminate that issue. The patch should limit this issue and in time it's a non thing.

I see right through inventory screens or bs ship screens it's loading it's obvious but I mean if that makes most people feel better ok but to me it's all the same. I've played about 8 hours so I know what I'm talking about as well. I don't want this game on PC, I don't think the community will survive like on consoles.

Yeah, I just disagree with this. Mine loads pretty fast because of my setup and how the game itself is structured--with the various load screens--is what takes me out of it, not whether I'm looking at a blank screen for 20-30 seconds. Play is interrupted too often and it gets in the way of the core gameplay too frequently for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wait for a discount, don't fall for the FOMO strategies.
yep, this.

Lots of people got baited by that weak-ass Legion armor into buying a $70-$80 version despite being told not to do it. While I hope they're having fun if they are already playing (or will if they keep their very expensive pre-order), I'd think most would be wise to wait and get this in the $30 range in a couple of months.

Or, that seems to be a very common recommendation from streamers who have made impressions/reviews videos like Datto and Aztecross.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Yeah, I just disagree with this. Mine loads pretty fast because of my setup and how the game itself is structured--with the various load screens--is what takes me out of it, not whether I'm looking at a blank screen for 20-30 seconds. Play is interrupted too often and it gets in the way of the core gameplay too frequently for me.
Idk play itself doesn't get interrupted at all for me. I almost never get the group join loading screen bc I know how to fly. The only time loading ever bothers me is the amount of time it takes to go from mission to mission. It's far too long. In mission itself I only get loading screens going into dungeons that's it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Idk play itself doesn't get interrupted at all for me. I almost never get the group join loading screen bc I know how to fly. The only time loading ever bothers me is the amount of time it takes to go from mission to mission. It's far too long. In mission itself I only get loading screens going into dungeons that's it.

That's what I'm talking about. Anytime it disrupts the loot wheel it affects enjoying of the core of the game.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter in some of its design. You can't change weapons on the fly in MH nor can you do a lot with drops until you get back to the hub. Not to say that is a great design but I don't recall it being as a big deal for that game as it is here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter in some of its design. You can't change weapons on the fly in MH nor can you do a lot with drops until you get back to the hub. Not to say that is a great design but I don't recall it being as a big deal for that game as it is here.

In World you can change weapons and gear mid-mission. But in earlier ones, yeah, you weren't able to. But those are also the entries that many people found convoluted and archaic. There's also a lot less "loot" in Monhun, to be fair.

Edit: well, there are a lot of different weapons and armor pieces... It doesn't feel like a loot game though? Idk. You don't get it as easily anyway.

Last edited:

WizzNARD

Jan 5, 2018
Saying you "know how to fly" so you don't get the joining group thing is a little flip I think. I get it constantly, even when I'm only like 20 feet at most away from people, being able to fly "good" has nothing to do with it. And as others have mentioned, going into a cave or something only to trigger a load is cumbersome at best. And most of the time it feels totally random, I feel like even if there was a door you had to open would make it seem better, at least you're not literally running through an open hole or whatever and then all of sudden you hit a load screen.

The amount of load screens is a problem, I just don't see how anyone can say they're not. I mean you can't even go to your inventory without hitting a load screen.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars

You can always see your loadout in MonHun.
You can fly to any camp on the map with a 1-2 second load screen and change your gear without ending the mission.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017

Even the Onion is getting in on this.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You can fly to any camp on the map with a 1-2 second load screen and change your gear without ending the mission.
Some don't seem to understand that the conceptual mechanic (deliberate loadouts rather than on-the-fly changes) aren't the issue; it's all the fuckin loading screens that stand between you and that objective, and the amount of time that has to be invested therein.

Last edited:

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Some don't seem to not understand that the conceptual mechanic (deliberate loadouts rather than on-the-fly changes) aren't the issue; it's all the fuckin loading screens that stand between you and that objective, and the amount of time that has to be invested therein.

Yeah, equipment locks aren't inherently bad. I like them in Destiny's (Prestige) Nightfalls.

It's mindboggling THAT YOU CANT EVEN SEE YOUR LOADOUT IN THE MISSION. Like, your loadout in Anthem changes way more of your abilities and kit than Destiny. In the Demo, I was playing with a friend and he said "Do you have any detonators" and I'm like "Fuck if I know." It's madness that you're literally flying blind in a mission.

This is something that can be fixed, but holy shit, the fact that it made it to launch speaks horribly of their design process. Either things were rushed or they made some huge miscalculations.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, equipment locks aren't inherently bad. I like them in Destiny's (Prestige) Nightfalls.

It's mindboggling THAT YOU CANT EVEN SEE YOUR LOADOUT IN THE MISSION. Like, your loadout in Anthem changes way more of your abilities and kit than Destiny. It'd madness that you're literally flying blind.
You can't see your stats.
You can't see your loadout
You can't see what loot you found
You can't see stuff on the map in freeplay
You can't see where many of the attacks are coming from a lot of the time

The game feels hugely restrictive, like it's cutting you off from so much needed feedback and info.

I get some of the decisions, but all together it feels like i'm playing with some kind of blinders on.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You can't see your stats.
You can't see your loadout
You can't see what loot you found
You can't see stuff on the map in freeplay
You can't see where many of the attacks are coming from a lot of the time

The game feels hugely restrictive, like it's cutting you off from so much needed feedback and info.

I get some of the decisions, but all together it feels like i'm playing with some kind of blinders on.
hopefully it will come soon. all we can do, as all of these thins seem like fundamental features present in any and every looter that I've ever played.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Watched through all of Giant Bombs and Skills Up disscusion about the game. Agree with everything. This game has fundamental problems besides the buggy technical state of the game.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I was holding out hope that the day-1 patch would have fixed the issues I noticed in the demo a few weeks ago. And while some of them were fixed, the biggest one was not. Similar to what others have mentioned, the amount of loading screens in the game was hugely detrimental to my experience. And, the worst part is that it feels like a systemic problem that no amount of patches will fix. Getting a loading screen when opening my inventory can (will?) be fixed with a patch, but hitting a loading screen when flying into a cave or other instanced area? That shit is just completely unacceptable.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter you basically go in with one weapon and you can always go to a tent and change. Anthem has multiple weapons/abilities and many combinations can be less then stellar together or you might just hate how a weapon feels. Having to load out to change one, two, or all things is rather different then fast traveling to a tent because your one weapon is weak or you forgot to change load outs.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019

In Monster Hunter you can change weapons in the middle of a hunt, get out of combat, quick travel to a tent, refill items and change weapon/entire loadout, leave tent and run back to action. No loading screens and done in less than 30 seconds mid mission.

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
I know I'm just one person but I asked the dev's before the game was release to include a firing range or something of that sort in the town hub. Anything to allow you to see how your weapons or gear worked before going out on a hunt doesn't fix any of the issues they have now but it could of helped a bit in my opinion

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017

This comparison also falls apart because in MH games loot doesn't drop from monsters. Parts drop from monsters that are crafted back in town to make weapons are armor, nergigante doesn't drop his great sword when slain or any other completed weapon or armor. Kill carve craft is the core gameplay loop of MH games. Anthem is a looter shooter or is supposed to be and it drops real actual loot in real time but you can't do anything with said loot without 4 loading screens. It's insane.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to derail too much, but playing Anthem last weekend prompted me to go back and check out Destiny 2 and I find myself really enjoying it. The missions are lots of fun with a lot of thought and effort put into the level design, pacing, sound, etc. Really juicy combat

Oh, and you can look at and change your equipment at any time, which has a variety of different looks. It's crazy how the bar keeps going lower because there was a time when people were angry at Bungie, but now they look like saints

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Wow so far. I wasn't getting this at launch anyways after being stung with previous GaaS titles at launch but I'm surprised how rough this seems, especially with QoL features.

Hope Bioware can turn it around.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mean to derail too much, but playing Anthem last weekend prompted me to go back and check out Destiny 2 and I find myself really enjoying it. The missions are lots of fun with a lot of thought and effort put into the level design, pacing, sound, etc. Really juicy combat

Oh, and you can look at and change your equipment at any time, which has a variety of different looks. It's crazy how the bar keeps going lower because there was a time when people were angry at Bungie, but now they look like saints
After the Anthem e3 reveal, it was proclaimed to be the Destiny Killer.

there is a game in there, I just hope it does take bioware too long to find it.