• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Jeff Gertsmann's likening the acting and characters to a bad old FMV game is an interesting take. You can do that way of speaking to a first person perspective without getting grating and it being compelling. Half Life 2 and Alyx Vance, Barry come to mind as characters that do that kind of eye contact with the player character and are spatially aware with hand movements and such without it feeling awkward. After Andromeda I was so over that brand of Bioware emoting and trying to give every single character a tumblr like quirkiness that I seriously don't know what happened to them to start doing it so badly.

I watched podcast and holy shit, he literally echoes my sentiments (posted a whole page back prior to your post and before even watching the podcast) and I have only seen gameplay videos of other people and outlets.

For a studio that had written for games like the Mass Effect series, this descent into overacted and often corny dialogues has been truly fascinating. Furthermore, much like Destiny, the lack of acknowledgement of your team for most part via dialogue is also another reason why I personally could never get immersed in loot shooters with messianic stories; it comes off as utterly pretentious and hogwash.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I somehow feel like it won't last too long at 70. Judging by the reception to so far, it seems extremely unlikely to me that the game is gonna get more review scores of 7 or higher than 7 or lower

True. I feel the same from the impressions and initial round of reviews.

I am just using this moment as nostalgia of old Bioware.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Quite shocked that Anthem is reviewing so badly. Some of my friends played it over the last week an really enjoyed the game.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Before the last patch destiny 2 that fixed load time it was much much longer (PS4 destiny vs Xbox anthem). Destiny get more of a pass because u can tinker with inventory and setting during the loads. You still get the loads in actives (ie turn a corner get stuck in the air) but they are faster as well too.

Might be way worse on PC but loading times on console have been long this entire gen so didn't even really notice it bein worse in Anthem. Once I got used to destiny 2 loading I really can't complain about other games.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Exactly, you can take that shit to other sites if you want to support it.
I don't watch SkillUp, but sentiments like this make me question what kind of a community we're trying to build.

"I'm okay with this person because they say things that align with my values 80% of the time" is a perfectly valid stance.
"I'm not okay with this person because they say things that are against my values 20% of the time" is also fine.

But "You shouldn't even be posting this person's content because I personally disagree with a few things they said, and you should go somewhere else" is not okay. The site mods and admins are free to blacklist particularly vile content, but everything else ought to be fair game for discussion.

There's no need to be this critical, just because an internet personality took what we'd all likely agree was the wrong stance on one or two issues. Also worth noting that most progressives are not actually progressive across the board on every issue, an important lesson for us all to learn before the Democratic primaries.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Datto's video is great. His concerns about endgame difficulty deserve to be listened to.

When I played the demo, I was getting hit by unknown enemies way too often. And the "no single attack can take you below red health" thing seems like an awful crutch that I relied on way too much. There are way too many enemy spawn points that are either behind you or generally outside your FoV, so the first you know of the enemy is when your health bar goes red.
It also fucks class balance. If you're constantly getting hit for insane damage and only live because of the "red health" lifesaver, then what's the point of small increases to shield/health? How do you even play a melee class if a red-bar can kill you quickly? What's the point of Colossus if tanking damage doesn't work?

It seems like few people are asking about end-game weapon/class/ability balance because of the bugs and annoyances. Gameplay is good, but this seems like a relative judgement compared to the Tarsis walking-simulator and loadscreen desktop-wallpaper simulator. Anything would seem good next to that. The bad quest design, poor enemy variety/design/AI and balance issues are more worrying to me.

I know that GM difficulty is getting a day 1 patch, but I'm very suspicious of developers making radical balance changes and making it up as they go along. This isn't like just a few weapons being overpowered and needing a nerf.

Anthem seems to me like a project without effective top-level management. I can only assume that everyone was locked into a silo mentality, making sure that their section worked but never considering how the whole game would work. It's the only reason I can think of for the load screens and stuff like Tarsis looking great but being horrible to experience as a player. The animation team did a great job. The art team did a great job. But no project lead was there to say, "That's nice, but we can't handle texture streaming at that quality without making everyone walk really slowly and spending ages loading. Function is much more important than form in a main hub area".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch SkillUp, but sentiments like this make me question what kind of a community we're trying to build.

"I'm okay with this person because they say things that align with my values 80% of the time" is a perfectly valid stance.
"I'm not okay with this person because they say things that are against my values 20% of the time" is also fine.

But "You shouldn't even be posting this person's content because I personally disagree with a few things they said, and you should go somewhere else" is not okay. The site mods and admins are free to blacklist particularly vile content, but everything else ought to be fair game for discussion.

There's no need to be this critical, just because an internet personality took what we'd all likely agree was the wrong stance on one or two issues.

There's no excuse for using terms like SJW or supporting a white person using the n-word in the way PDP did.

We're trying to build a community that stands against these things, I thought?

This is not about "difference of opinion". There's no side worth listening to when they start throwing around term like "SJW" and defending use of hateful speech.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Perhaps maybe just for a looter shooter fix, but everything that makes Destiny unique is missing by design in division. I find it utterly bereft of wonder and mystery.

This is my biggest disappointment. Outside of a few brief character moments, the game often feels like a tech demo and lacks charm throughout its various designs and systems.

It feels like there was no love behind it.

Destiny comparisons are the most apt. Even though Destiny 1 was gutted before release and had a non-story (up until The Taken King), it has a striking artistic and visual identity. From the world design to the different enemy races, everything was meticulously designed. From the distinct looks of the alien races, each unique, with a clear ideology behind it, to the post-post-apocalyptic worlds. Even the UI of that game had a ton of love poured into it.

In the end, even without a narrative, Destiny had a coherent, unique techno-fantasy world to fall back on. Anthem reminds me of Dawngate, EA's answer to LoL.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
stop with the politics in a REVIEW thread.

My goodness guys....I give ZERO fucks about other peoples political views in the gaming industry whatsoever, whether I agree or disagree with them.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Quite shocked that Anthem is reviewing so badly. Some of my friends played it over the last week an really enjoyed the game.

Critical and forum reception often does not align with the general public or sales performance. That said, the criticism is often valid even if you enjoyed the game/trial.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Oh yeah, he was this one. Earlier today I was wondering about SkillUp and went to his twitter and saw that he's posted a couple of pics of people whining about the diverse cast in Apex Legends.. And he's mocking them. This is bizarre.

e: Chaos2Frozen beat me to it. Yeah, absolutely no idea what to think of him right now.
Yeah, it's bit weird. As these people he is questioning in those tweets, are the exact same crowd who he is pandering to when mocking Ubi for going with female and male characters in all future AC titles (as one example). Can't believe he wouldn't be aware of that. Or maybe he is taking the "both sides" stance. Personally I had a negative perception of him even before I knew about his attitude towards these issues, didn't like how he popped up in EZA review comments to tell how reviews should be done and what it should cover.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

My goodness guys....I give ZERO fucks about other peoples political views in the gaming industry whatsoever, whether I agree or disagree with them.

Sorry mate, but you can't separate these things.

You don't just get to talk about video games free from this stuff when it's all intertwined.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Destiny comparisons are the most apt. Even though Destiny 1 was gutted before release and had a non-story (up until The Taken King), it has a striking artistic and visual identity. From the world design to the different enemy races, everything was meticulously designed. From the distinct looks of the alien races, each unique, with a clear ideology behind it, to the post-post-apocalyptic worlds. Even the UI of that game had a ton of love poured into it.

In the end, even without a narrative, Destiny had a coherent, unique techno-fantasy world to fall back on. Anthem reminds me of Dawngate, EA's answer to LoL.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Destiny's visual design is gorgeously consistent and well thought out. Anthem... It's a discordant mess. Ironic with the entire "anthem of creation" shit.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Be that as it may, there are certain ground rules or at least an understanding (to those who are in the know) on ERA about advertising people who currently hold prejudiced outlook. Politics and games are intertwined regardless of your personal take on the matter.

It is why you will never see members here posting reviews from YTubers like Boogie2988 or general videos from Shirrako. There is a line, and it is different for different people, where decent people stop separating the art from the artist.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Critical and forum reception often does not align with the general public or sales performance. That said, the criticism is often valid even if you enjoyed the game/trial.

Yeah, I am really enjoying the game. But, everything it is being dinged for is plain as day. The "day one" patch needs to fix a lot of bugs. But, even outside of that, there are a lot of design decisions, some that go deep, that are mind boggling. I hope it does well enough for them to right the ship, but the game is deserving of the reviews it is getting.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Im watching SkillUp's review right now because his reviews are well structured and informative.

Considering hes always done extensive converage of Destiny and Division i will be watching his Division 2 review as well, i value his opinion on the looter genre not his opinion on things like pewdiepie. In fact his videos about pewdiepie or the diablo controversy are not good.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Destiny has some real mystery to its world and the lore videos by the community helped create a tone apart from the story told in game. The trend continues today as Byf produces better story content than Bungie delivers in game.

Yeah, I am really enjoying the game. But, everything it is being dinged for is plain as day. The "day one" patch needs to fix a lot of bugs. But, even outside of that, there are a lot of design decisions, some that go deep, that are mind boggling. I hope it does well enough for them to right the ship, but the game is deserving of the reviews it is getting.

I am in the same boat as you. BioWare has produced its best gameplay to date without any of the elements that make BioWare games great and memorable.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018

Meh, I don't see why polished repetitions of the same old tired thing should get 90s, while something which offers stuff that's new and interesting gets crapped on.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

There's no need to be this critical, just because an internet personality took what we'd all likely agree was the wrong stance on one or two issues. Also worth noting that most progressives are not actually progressive across the board on every issue, an important lesson for us all to learn before the Democratic primaries.

This topic is about anthem reviews.

Your post is supporting a YouTuber who posts SJW labeled videos. There is no conversation to be had.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

It is case with most "critic vs public" avenues and it comes down to "perspective". The critics consume far more games as part of their profession as opposed to the general public. That alone allows the critics to ascertain a pattern of design, technological, narrative etc progress in the overall industry. Consequently, they respond strongly when those expectations are not met by a game that made all the noise about moving the needle forward.

Of course, to a regular joe-shmoe who buys far fewer games, some of the complaints may not personally apply. It is why people tend to straight go for the score as it has become most relatable portion of the review metric.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The SkillUp review is fantastic as usual, probably the best review channel on YouTube right now.

Didn't realise until just now that video is content is banned on Era, ok... Is there a list we can checked for banned content?

Type422

Nov 28, 2017

Completely agree with this post. I'm enjoying the game, too. But I would also be extremely pissed, if I hadn't EA Access and paid full price for the game in this state. So I absolutely can understand the harsh critics.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Destiny has some real mystery to its world and the lore videos by the community helped create a tone apart from the story told in game. The trend continues today as Byf produces better story content than Bungie delivers in game.

This is also what I am getting at. The world is interesting enough for people to want to delve deeper. Even when the only thing people have to go on is something's visual look, it's interesting enough to hint at a story behind it.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If everyone agreed with this we'd still be at the old place.

not even, I understand the importance of politics, and I do agree that public figures should be people who we can respect. BUT these days in era having a single political opinion that doesn't resonate with the entire community somehow immediately turns people into toxic bigots who hate everyone. It's just extreme as hell, this is coming from someone who considers himself liberal/progressive. I can't expect everyone to think like me, but even people I might view as foolish in the political spectrum, can still be okay in my book. We're human, everyone has flaws.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

The visual identity of Destiny is so important. Each enemy race is so visually distinct and recognizable. (Except Scorn cause they are basically Zombie Fallen) I can't tell you what the enemy races look like in Anthem after watching hours of gameplay.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I find it annoying at times as well...However resetera is a forum with a huge focus on political issues, it's kinda part of the package. You kinda have to accept that when you read and/or post here I think

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

In my experience so far I've seen more fallout than praise when it comes to Anthem. Then you have the radical zealots that will defend the game and EA to the damned grave.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
not even, I understand the importance of politics, and I do agree that public figures should be people who we can respect. BUT these days in era having a single political opinion that doesn't resonate with the entire community somehow immediately turns people into toxic bigots who hate everyone. It's just extreme as hell, this is coming from someone who considers himself liberal/progressive. I can't expect everyone to think like me, but even people I might view as foolish in the political spectrum, can still be okay in my book. We're human, everyone has flaws.
Using the term "SJW" and defending someone for using the n-word the way PDP did is not just a different opinion, it's harmful speech that directly goes against the core principles our community was built upon.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It is case with most "critic vs public" avenues and it comes down to "perspective". The critics consume far more games as part of their profession as opposed to the general public. That alone allows the critics to ascertain a pattern of design, technological, narrative etc progress in the overall industry. Consequently, they respond strongly when those expectations are not met by a game that made all the noise about moving the needle forward.

Of course, to a regular joe-shmoe who buys far fewer games, some of the complaints may not personally apply. It is why people tend to straight go for the score as it has become most relatable portion of the review metric.

I understand that but at the same time the critics' metascore has little bearing on your enjoyment of a movie, music, book or game. They are a guide and artistic evaluation of a product. Even for all the hate it got on various forums and among critics millions of people played Vanilla Destiny on a daily basis during its first year. Ark is a technical mess on consoles yet it continues to be one of the most popular games.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Not seen a single "radical zealot" defnding Anthem or EA in this thread or the OT.

No, I haven't seen anything that insidious here, but I have had interactions via Twitter and Reddit that have devolved into some unsavory words spoken to say the least lol. And everyone wants to take it personally unfortunately.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, I haven't seen anything that insidious here, but I have had interactions via Twitter and Reddit that have devolved into some unsavory words spoken to say the least lol. And everyone wants to take it personally unfortunately.
Gotcha, I've seen a couple of posts outside of Era that could be classed as that for sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, there does appear to be a disconnect between critics and the enthusiast online communities, and more casual players.

I guess time will tell via sales and population retention.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using the term "SJW" and defending someone for using the n-word the way PDP did is not just a different opinion, it's harmful speech that directly goes against the core principles our community was built upon.
Pretty much, even if I like his content, his views on certain things are harmful and thus I can't continue supporting him. It's not that hard though , there's a lot of great reviewers out there who doesn't share his hateful views.