• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Thing is with Skill Up, I check his twitter during the whole drama with Apex Legend's character diversity and it's kinda hard to tell where he actually stands on it.

Because he certainly does seem to mock those people that are crying about Apex's diversity.

So I don't know.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
From his other channel, Laymen Gaming:

pieceofshitx2fh1.png

Oh yeah, he was this one. Earlier today I was wondering about SkillUp and went to his twitter and saw that he's posted a couple of pics of people whining about the diverse cast in Apex Legends.. And he's mocking them. This is bizarre.

e: Chaos2Frozen beat me to it. Yeah, absolutely no idea what to think of him right now.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is with Skill Up, I check his twitter during the whole drama with Apex Legend's character diversity and it's kinda hard to tell where he actually stands on it.

Because he certainly does seem to mock those people that are crying about Apex's diversity.
He might have reasonable views, but it can't be denied that the Laymen channel is just GG peddling for views. And he can get fucked for that.

That, or it's just a level of satire we can't seem to comprehend. Dunno.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Why does everything have to be either absolute trash or the best thing ever on the Internet? There is no middle ground anymore.
Jeff Gerstamnn's opinion is almost useless (to me) because he pretty much hates everything these days.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everything have to be either absolute trash or the best thing ever on the Internet? There is no middle ground anymore.
Jeff Gerstamnn's opinion is almost useless (to me) because he pretty much hates everything these days.

As the late stringer bell once said, no one really cares about a 40 degree day.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
These kinds of posts are legitimately misleading.

The demo build was months old, it was okay to mention that. The release actually fixed many of the issues the demo had, which was apparent with the chatter for the first few hours of Anthem's launch as people were positively surprised at the improvements.

Then they realized the game had quite a few other issues, which are being addressed in the patch. We even have the patch notes to see, here. So it's fair to say "wait for this patch, it will fix your issue" if your issue is something listed in that patch.

These are almost always NOT a blind defense force stanning the game, but people talking actual sense to specific comments.

This is more apparent when you realize we KNOW what's in the day 1 patch, and it's clear it won't fix core issues people have (lack of content, variation of enemies, environment being samey, etc...), so literally no one is saying "wait for the patch" in response to those things.

So this rhetoric you and others claim is happening.... isn't happening.
These kinds of posts are legitimately misleading.

The demo build was months old, it was okay to mention that. The release actually fixed many of the issues the demo had, which was apparent with the chatter for the first few hours of Anthem's launch as people were positively surprised at the improvements.

Then they realized the game had quite a few other issues, which are being addressed in the patch. We even have the patch notes to see, here. So it's fair to say "wait for this patch, it will fix your issue" if your issue is something listed in that patch.

These are almost always NOT a blind defense force stanning the game, but people talking actual sense to specific comments.

This is more apparent when you realize we KNOW what's in the day 1 patch, and it's clear it won't fix core issues people have (lack of content, variation of enemies, environment being samey, etc...), so literally no one is saying "wait for the patch" in response to those things.

So this rhetoric you and others claim is happening.... isn't happening.

The game has released in a poor state, everyone can see this. Some are enjoying it despite the flaws and have hope, others are bailing as they've had enough of this model and all the excuses.

This idea that people are deflecting all concerns saying "wait for X" is misleading and just isn't happening like you suggest it is.

The game has released in a poor state, everyone can see this. Some are enjoying it despite the flaws and have hope, others are bailing as they've had enough of this model and all the excuses.

This idea that people are deflecting all concerns saying "wait for X" is misleading and just isn't happening like you suggest it is.

It's great that some things have been fixed. But the state the VIP demo was in was a screaming warning about the state of the game generally. I'm pretty sure I saw people trying to imply that wasn't the case because the build was allegedly months old.

Even now people are trying to rebrand it as an early access game in this very thread.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

So I don't know.
*shocked gasp* It's almost like people are complex individuals that have so many different viewpoints on so many different topics that binary labels like "Left Wing" and "Right Wing" are pretty much useless because everyone has a different definition of what makes someone "right" or "left". I've been called both before on the same post, by 2 different people on a topic entirely unrelated to politics.

Edit: I hadn't seen the videos before so I skimmed them and even as someone who falls very firmly on the left side of the spectrum both socially and economically, nothing in there stood out to me as particularly egregious other than the overuse of memes. Hell, the titles are probably the most controversial thing about them. Maybe it's because I'm also Australian and their opinions on stuff seem to be in line with how most people I know IRL feel that they just seem like normal people.

Edit 2: Hell I just watched their latest video and they seem pretty left to me.

Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for Layman Gaming or their content here. Video source removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Datto impressions are pretty middle ground, he is an expert on these types of games so avoids the complaints about there limitations and sticks with what works and what needs to get better. Been watching his destiny stuff for years, kinda get into math a lot in his more in-depth stuff but these impressions are good for any fans of the genre.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I´m usually not convinced by SkillUp´s grandiloquence but those first 6 minutes of his review were devastating.

To keep a dramatic tone: the fall of Bioware has now probably surpassed Sega´s exit of the console hardware market as the saddest single event (or, more reallistically, process) I have ever experienced in regards to videogames. My nostalgia for their golden days (particularly, Baldur´s Gate II and Mass Effect 1 and 2, all of which are still in my Top 5 of all time) has skyrocketed.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
*shocked gasp* It's almost like people are complex individuals that have so many different viewpoints on so many different topics that binary labels like "Left Wing" and "Right Wing" are pretty much useless because everyone has a different definition of what makes someone "right" or "left". I've been called both before on the same post, by 2 different people on a topic entirely unrelated to politics.

Eh, it's pretty easy to spot a real chud--they give themselves away fairly easily, almost like they can't help themselves.

That being said, I don't need to support someone who supports PewDiePie, so, I'll turn this video off and not share it.

Waiting for EZA.

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware must have really bad management. I like Anthem but there is no denying that something is not right at Bioware.
They do, the report a few years back from the guy who worked on the andromeda team spoke of racism, bro culture, cronyism and more.
I don't really rate SkillUp as a good reviewer, he bandwagons a fair amount of the time, after his constant "i'm quitting destiny"

only to jump back in so he can get that sweet monetization when it's hot just feels gross and pandering to me.

I'm pretty sure the guy is gonna just go down the same route dumping on anthem, because that's hot right now because EA,

Yet at the same time going to events paid for by EA and using the content to make him money.....

Also when it comes to reviewing this game, we are only in the first act with a lot of stuff still to come
I would imagine this game will review similar to what destiny did, and as time goes on will get a lot better.
I'm excited to try it out and have it in rotation with Destiny as I had a lot of fun in the Beta with it.
With respect I thought that on Era, we were not advertising people who have views akin to GG.
Isn't he also alt right?

You gotta realize there are people here who align with his views so they don't care and will keep posting his shit. There are also those who don't know.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't handwave something that many people would love to enjoy. It's just a shame little effort was put into making it interesting, I suppose. Crucible was fun though.
And you shouldn't hand wave the fact that many people love Destiny, and story (while disappointing certainly) is not a major concern for them.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The loading screens are ultimately what made me step away.

Don't underestimate the loading in this game.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The game feels fun to play thanks to Bungie, but "The Darkness" vs. "The Light" is the textbook definition of shallow.
Bungie has been adding a lot of depth to the whole "Darkness vs Light" thing since Forsaken, and is potentially setting up big class/ability changes with those lore implications coming either in D2Y3 or Destiny 3.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Skill Up doesn't always fall on the progressive spectrum, especially in regards to political correctness, but he also trashes people who whine about diversity in games and has publicly lambasted Donald Trump supporters on Twitter. He may not be socially progressive in every situation, but I wouldn't call him alt-right either, despite his support of PewDiePie and the occasional use of "SJW".

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Man learning about Skillup's views is really disappointing. I remember watching a video on the other channel when he sarcastically say "the wah-mans" when talking about something, most likely the Battlefield that released recently.

I hope the Warframe devs stop working with him, and giving him access. They have a lot of high level front line women in their studio too, he conducted interviews with the dev team that included two women employees and one male. Very disappointing.

Skill Up doesn't always fall on the progressive spectrum, especially in regards to political correctness, but he also trashes people who whine about diversity in games and has publicly lambasted Donald Trump supporters on Twitter. He may not be socially progressive in every situation, but I wouldn't call him alt-right either, despite his support of PewDiePie and the occasional use of "SJW".
I haven't seen much on what he does, but the Battlefield video was a shock, and very off-putting for me. Maybe his brother is a bad influence or he want controversy to help Laymans get clicks.

Oct 27, 2017

Jeff can give some really good critiques, even on games he doesn't particularly like. Well, at times. Other times he reminds me of the image with the girl eating crackers where once you hate something every thing they do is offensive, and he won't even acknowledge good things in a game he dislikes. He does love battle royale games though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
His views are part of the problem, there's no excuse for them and we shouldn't support people like that imo.

He doesn't have to be alt-right to be harmful.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Skill Up doesn't always fall on the progressive spectrum, especially in regards to political correctness, but he also trashes people who whine about diversity in games and has publicly lambasted Donald Trump supporters on Twitter.

There is absolutely no excuse to be had for posting "sjw" titles YouTube videos. It's unnecessary and unacceptable in any form given the motivation behind the movement that uses it so frequently as hate speech.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does partly (anecdotally speaking) as it's a looter shooter but the environment provides a nice contrast to Destiny. Bringing it back down to Earth, literally, helps provide a real break to Destiny I found and helps form a nice back and forth between the two. Nice to worry about getting a fluffy hat for a bit instead of the final Corrupted Egg for the Taken Sparrow. The tech definitely helps as you still have the squad healing and AoE abilities that form a gameplay loop similar to strikes, and I'm interested to see what their version of raids amounts to primarily because of my positive experiences in Destiny.

The closer something is to Destiny thematically the more likely I am to play it for a bit and then return to D2 to get the space-magic highs I've become fond of. So something distinct from it helps, as mentioned earlier when Destiny is ongoing I kind of need something that's different enough to where I can go back to shooting aliens and it feels somewhat fresh again.
Perhaps maybe just for a looter shooter fix, but everything that makes Destiny unique is missing by design in division. I find it utterly bereft of wonder and mystery.

Last edited:

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ok skill Up's review is getting me more sad as it goes

What a colossal fuck up this game is

Edit 2: Hell I just watched their latest video and they seem pretty left to me.
Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for Layman Gaming or their content here. Video source removed.
You're never left enough to Era standards :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 26, 2017
So... he potentially has bad political opinions, ok, but that's isn't exactly a counter to his opinions and arguments on Anthem. Which is what is relevant here, in this thread, called ' Anthem Review Thread'.
He for example makes a good argument of the problems of the combat design, with the bad AI, inexistent tells, poor enemy encounter design, dodgy hit detection, etc.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Ok skill Up's review is getting me more sad as it goes

What a colossal fuck up this game is

You're never left enough to Era standards :p
If you're using terms like SJW you're causing harm. This isn't some bullshit purity test, it's fact.
I do want to state I wholeheartedly agree with this, the term needs to die in a fire and there is no excuse (and never has been) other than click-baiting or trolling to use it. But we should probably get back on topic, there's probably a separate politics OT (or maybe not, I'm new here) where we can debate the tiring mess that is modern politics.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So... he potentially has bad political opinions, ok, but that's isn't exactly a counter to his opinions and arguments on Anthem. Which is what is relevant here, in this thread, called ' Anthem Review Thread'.
He for example makes a good argument of the problems of the combat design, with the bad AI, inexistent tells, poor enemy encounter design, dodgy hit detection, etc.
And some of us are saying we shouldn't give him a platform as his political views are shitty and harmful.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

Stop standing up for any YouTuber who pushes sjw labeled vids and opinions

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Slick flying and gunplay collide with infuriating design choices throughout Anthem. But its biggest problem is a lack of soul – this is a cynical, committee-produced product bereft of any significant creative spark.

Had this written all over it, unfortunately.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Datto and other impressions bring up those same things. Don't need to give this guy any more views.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If.your youtube channel is riling up people about "SJWs" and defending racist shit, it can stay the fuck off of Era.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Had this written all over it, unfortunately.
This is my biggest disappointment. Outside of a few brief character moments, the game often feels like a tech demo and lacks charm throughout its various designs and systems.

If.your youtube channel is riling up people about "SJWs" and defending racist shit, it can stay the fuck off of Era.
Exactly, you can take that shit to other sites if you want to support it.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Have no idea what they were thinking with that Tomb thing.

You're literally just walking in a few rooms, reading a little text and walking back out.

Without a grind it's dumb but can only imagine how bad it felt to discover that's all it was after a few hours grind.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit intrigued to check a comparison for the loading times between all versions on D1
Did you mean to quote me for this? :p

Someone did this with D2 on PC and it wasn't actually far off, sometimes Anthem was faster.

The problem is more than Anthem has load screens in places that Destiny didn't, and they add up to a lot of downtime. And on console they can be atrociously long. I don't remember ever being really frustrated by D1 or D2 load times on ps4...

Oct 26, 2017
I'd just like to say that I love that Boomstick Gaming is now getting so much attention to appear in review thread OPs. Certainly a silver lining to that twat's plagiarism.
Kinda expected reviews to not be sparkling for this.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars

Someone did this with D2 on PC and it wasn't actually far off, sometimes Anthem was faster.

The problem is more than Anthem has load screens in places that Destiny didn't, and they add up to a lot of downtime. And on console they can be atrociously long. I don't remember ever being really frustrated by D1 or D2 load times on ps4...

You can also have your menus up in Destiny and be changing gear, looking at your inventory, etc. You'd be surprised how much it helps, even if you don't need to change anything. Just something to futz around on makes a big difference in the feel, even if the clock time is long.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Not really but whateavs :)

Destiny also had "idiotic" things that kinda distracted me from the loading times (the flying ship and reaching a planet) on top of not having as many loading times obvs

I'd be happy with something like that as well, let me check my stats, the ones from my companions that are coming with me to do a stranglehold and stuff like that, they are not even trying to hide em a bit