• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
EA's move was strategic, of all the looter shooters out Destiny has the most engaged community.

The lore masters. Byf and Myelin average some 200k views per video.

Guys like Datto, Blessious, mtashed, nkuch, Mr fruit, and so many big Destiny "content creators" and streamers - even fringe guys like Lono from SNTR were flown all over the place by EA, because a they have a captive Destiny audience, the same audience that is invested.

So as a destiny player, my ENTIRE YouTube feed was literally taken over by Anthem, every single destiny creator that I followed had somehow been body-swapped with their Anthem-pushing doppelganger.

Even ign's fireteam chat podcast has been replaced by Freelancer chat.

Even though bioware denied it when they're asked if their game is going after destiny, EA thinks otherwise, they've been surgically striking the Destiny audience for what feels like months now.
It's orchestrated very nicely, hell, I'd give the marketing guy a raise for that. But it will all die down next month when new Destiny content will arrive and people will continue to play it like they always do, and on the Anthem side you will hear non-stop thirst for fixes and content to even make it worthwhile. Will Anthem have a dedicated community like Destiny? only time will tell.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Agreed. I know it's early, but Anthem is definitely in the running for Best Loading Screens of 2019.

that is the problem! the loading screens don´t even have context to them, you enter a cave or tunnel and see a picture of a robot face...they should have had interactive loading screens, something dynamic and not some random artwork. these are the most boring loading screens you could implement in such a game, there is a reason for Destiny´s flying ships loading screens, they make the time go by faster because there is something happening on the screen

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that critics aren't giving GaaS Garbage a pass anymore when it has shitty launch content.

I really wish gamers would stop giving them a pass too.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I think the game will sell initially but 80%of players will quit after the first month

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the big winner is ubisoft and the division 2 here.
We'll see. I mean honestly even with the current reception Anthem is gonna do numbers and same with Division even if it somehow strikes out bad. These games may garner hot takes but clearly people enjoy them. We have all seen Destiny and Destiny 2 right? Heck they fucked up in the sequel and still it's a good game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's orchestrated very nicely, hell, I'd give the marketing guy a raise for that. But it will all die down next month when new Destiny content will arrive and people will continue to play it like they always do, and on the Anthem side you will hear non-stop thirst for fixes and content to even make it worthwhile. Will Anthem have a dedicated community like Destiny? only time will tell.

Fallout 76 has a dedicated community, Anthem will have one the question is how long will EA fund them getting new content if they aren't buying loot crates and sales aren't amazing.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's Early Access or prerelease to a game that is clearly not ready for release yet. 100% agree this early access shit sucks and needs to stop but since no one can buy this and play yet, it ain't released. I liken it more to review builds that go out to media minus the long doc of issues they are gonna fix on release that they get before they start playing

Yeah I don't think I agree with that tbh. Gerstmann put it perfectly on the latest GB.

Chris Best

Dec 10, 2017
It really boggles the mind when even the majority of the single player isn't even unique area's just maps that get reused for what little content there is.

I dunno. That's what I always think about when I think of these games as a service. Games meant to cater to the broadest audience while finding efficiencies of scale to maximize profits. Shareholders are loving this stuff.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It really boggles the mind when even the majority of the single player isn't even unique area's just maps that get reused for what little content there is.

It's how these games are, destiny resuses areas for quest strikes and free play. I was actually surprised in Anthem going back to an area for a diffrent quest and it was over run with bugs when the 1st time it wasn't. It's a wasted if you are only going to use an area once in these games, usally just saved for a boss room or something similar.

Seems only 2 things u can do with theses games, make a hand crafted world that's the same for all or use tiles and make it random.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just watched Kinda Funny Games Daily. The way they've been talking about Anthem for months now is so strange. And keep in mind that I really enjoy these guys' content.
But it's to the point where I honestly can't tell if they are misrepresenting the game's reception on purpose or are just completely lost in their own bubble.
The way they presented the reviews as painting a mostly positive picture was just so weird, lol.

On the topic of Inquisition, I get why it won so many GOTYs. Because I truly loved the game when I first played it but going back to it a few months ago, I was bored out of my mind. Somehow it has aged incredibly poorly for a lot of people. (And I have barely played Witcher 3 so that is not a factor for me.)
I don't think it's a straight up bad game but it was definitely lacking in personality.

The problem i had with inquisition, even at the time it released, was that SO many other games did what it was doing infinitely better than it. Including the first release within its own series. It commited the worst sin regarding video games...It was boring to play.

I am SO glad I played it before I had experienced the Witcher 3. Because if not I'd imagine my already negative views of that game would be even worse.

For me bioware haven't made a great game since origin/mass effect 1. It's just been a steady decline of chasing trends and streamlining RPG's to the point it's hard to even call them that. Anthem and Andromeda are the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't see them ever being the great studio i used to love.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017

For some reason this criticism keeps reminding me of Hellgate: London, where one of the prime complaints was that you saw all the unique environments and tilesets within the first hour of the game, and then they just repeated. I guess "Hellgate: London with microtransactions" is just where we're at now.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The loot in Destiny is fantastic compared to this game. At least you get items that look and feel different. Can't say the same about Anthem. Destiny had a problem how the drops worked. Anthem gets a bunch of things wrong that the competition already solved.

Yep. I got The Last Word very early on in Destiny 1, and I kept it with me the entire game. It was a game changing weapon, it looked and sounded cool as hell, it had its own backstory and lore and a unique play style. Same could be said of many of Destiny's end game weapons (think how important Gallahorn was!). Destiny's look just appears to be bigger numbers it's a random proc effect added in that doesn't really change how you play, and the guns themselves are just recoloured loot.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2014 was such a weird year for GOTYs. Inquisition is maybe the most 'average' game I've ever played, while Shadow of Mordor is genuinely among the worst games I've ever played. Meanwhile Tropical Freeze was completely ignored.

I dunno. That's what I always think about when I think of these games as a service. Games meant to cater to the broadest audience while finding efficiencies of scale to maximize profits. Shareholders are loving this stuff.
That much I get, I just wonder why gamers are okay with it.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yep. I got The Last Word very early on in Destiny 1, and I kept it with me the entire game. It was a game changing weapon, it looked and sounded cool as hell, it had its own backstory and lore and a unique play style. Same could be said of many of Destiny's end game weapons (think how important Gallahorn was!). Destiny's look just appears to be bigger numbers it's a random proc effect added in that doesn't really change how you play, and the guns themselves are just recoloured loot.

I get what you mean, my brother got an ice breaker extremely early on. Used it until the game changed and had to replace it. Classic destiny 1 exotics were the best. Even in destiny 2 nothing is as good as the icebreaker and gallahorn. Bungie has pulled away from strong exotics since everything gets nerfed into a grey paste(well almost everything, those one eyed Titian seem to be doing ok).

Anthem took the division way with the "exotic" weapons. Just same weapons with a fancier skin, some of them do cool stuff but yeah nothing as good as D1s greats. They more akin to Destiny 2 current armor exotics, don't do really anything great, just buffs other skills.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think destiny and division share a player base.
Does partly (anecdotally speaking) as it's a looter shooter but the environment provides a nice contrast to Destiny. Bringing it back down to Earth, literally, helps provide a real break to Destiny I found and helps form a nice back and forth between the two. Nice to worry about getting a fluffy hat for a bit instead of the final Corrupted Egg for the Taken Sparrow. The tech definitely helps as you still have the squad healing and AoE abilities that form a gameplay loop similar to strikes, and I'm interested to see what their version of raids amounts to primarily because of my positive experiences in Destiny.

The closer something is to Destiny thematically the more likely I am to play it for a bit and then return to D2 to get the space-magic highs I've become fond of. So something distinct from it helps, as mentioned earlier when Destiny is ongoing I kind of need something that's different enough to where I can go back to shooting aliens and it feels somewhat fresh again.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Can you link me to that please?

Thanks.
Skill Up? Any reference for this?
From his other channel, Laymen Gaming:

pieceofshitx2fh1.png

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
I'm willing to give Anthem a go. I tried Destiny and Destiny 2 as well and those experiences were similar than I expect Anthem of being: good fun for a while, and after 3 weeks it'll dust on the shelf.

Haven't really got anything similar to play and the gameplay seems fine, at least for a while.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't matter at all, the game is great even if the story is generic.

It's a loot shooter, story isn't as important tbh.

You shouldn't handwave something that many people would love to enjoy. It's just a shame little effort was put into making it interesting, I suppose. Crucible was fun though.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: Content removed. We do not provide a platform for Laymen Gaming on the forum.

This is a shame given I used to absolutely love Skill Up's deep dive reviews.

Yeah, can't say that i follow his videos - or any youtuber for that matter - but I know the name from watching the God of War review and I remember thinking "such well-constructed video and thought process".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
From the bombcast Jeff really hit the nail on the head with how talking to the characters in first person in this game feels like something out of those old FMV games. It's definitely a problem with first person games, but other games have done a better job in the past making it not feel so off. It seems amplified here though. Maybe they look a bit more lifelike here?

RIP Dana Plato