• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I gather from this thread that some people actually enjoyed Inquisition. I remember being extremely let down by it, it feels like a single player MMO with some of the worst combat Bioware has produced to date.

The combat in Inquisition wasn't good, but the characters and party banter were fine. I enjoyed Inquisition.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Inquisition is a game that I don't want to replay because of how bloated it is, and I always replay Bioware games, even DA2. I liked it well enough during my time through it but yeah, that one time was enough.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's because the game has been out for days. And people have been lukewarm while reviewing it.

I don't really rate SkillUp as a good reviewer, he bandwagons a fair amount of the time, after his constant "i'm quitting destiny"

only to jump back in so he can get that sweet monetization when it's hot just feels gross and pandering to me.

I'm pretty sure the guy is gonna just go down the same route dumping on anthem, because that's hot right now because EA,

Yet at the same time going to events paid for by EA and using the content to make him money.....

Also when it comes to reviewing this game, we are only in the first act with a lot of stuff still to come
I would imagine this game will review similar to what destiny did, and as time goes on will get a lot better.
I'm excited to try it out and have it in rotation with Destiny as I had a lot of fun in the Beta with it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really rate SkillUp as a good reviewer, he bandwagons a fair amount of the time, after his constant "i'm quitting destiny"

only to jump back in so he can get that sweet monetization when it's hot just feels gross and pandering to me.

I'm pretty sure the guy is gonna just go down the same route dumping on anthem, because that's hot right now because EA,

Yet at the same time going to events paid for by EA and using the content to make him money.....

Yeah uhm... about him being paid by EA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5eTZepIWg

Might want to see the first 5 seconds of that video

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017

Also when it comes to reviewing this game, we are only in the first act with a lot of stuff still to come
I would imagine this game will review similar to what destiny did, and as time goes on will get a lot better.
I'm excited to try it out and have it in rotation with Destiny as I had a lot of fun in the Beta with it.

This is not an excuse. Reviews judge the content that is available NOW, not promises and hypothetical patches.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah uhm... about him being paid by EA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5eTZepIWg

Might want to see the first 5 seconds of that video

His name is in the credits, as an EA gamechanger. He may not been sent a copy, but sure as hell has seen perks on behalf of EA.

This is not an excuse. Reviews judge the content that is available NOW, not promises and hypothetical patches.

What I am saying is Destiny launched badly and then came back strong.

I am not telling anyone to buy the game, but I do see that this game has potential to be a lot of fun.... Also the fact that there is extra content coming without a season pass should also be taken into account when looking at the product.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

no one knows that, it is speculation and wishful thinking for now

if it sells not up to expectation who knows if they pull the plug on this game or not

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Have you actually watched his reviews ?

Outside of Fallout 76 ( that had it coming ) he never lashes out randomly, he is always extremely fair and details his opinions well. Even if you disagree he doesnt force his opinion as an undeniable truth and he often states someone with different taste can enjoy this part more or that part more etc...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I gave up DA:I after a bit over 10 hours.

Most of my experience was crappy battles that took longer than they should ( played on harder difficulty tho hoping it would make them more exciting ), half the dialogues being zoomed out which made my brain not care for them, horribly slow progression blocked by fetch quests and mmo tier designs.

It was a chore. Got it day1 so it took a lot for me to actually give it up.

Do you have any advice to appreciate this masterpiece because I must have been doing something wrong clearly ?
Give up on it, after 100 hrs of play i wish i did give up on it 10 hrs in. You'll be repeating mostly what you've experienced and it doesnt get any better.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
o one knows that, it is speculation and wishful thinking for now

if it sells not up to expectation who knows if they pull the plug on this game or not

They have already mapped out content???? They couldn't just cancel that..... If they did, they'd have to compensate players at least.

I actually think EA will give this game a lot of support. As if Bioware get this all up and running well they stand to make a lot on Micro transactions which is the ultimate goal for EA.....

Have you actually watched his reviews ?

Outside of Fallout 76 ( that had it coming ) he never lashes out randomly, he is always extremely fair and details his opinions well. Even if you disagree he doesn't force his opinion as an undeniable truth and he often states someone with different taste can enjoy this part more or that part more etc...

I am taking this from a standpoint of what he was doing before he flipped into doing reviews, and by those actions I am partially dubious of his opinion.

If you like his reviews, good for you. I will try have a look at this review later, and come back once I have also played the full game.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can't really appreciate the animation and voicework on account of how the story is a bunch of jargon thrown together onto a pile of tired tropes.
Plus Andromeda had at least one or two interesting party members, Anthem's quip machines make me want to punch them every time they open their mouth. YMMV, obviously, but I hated the story and characters here.
This is non-sense. I get you don't like the game, but it should be *very* easy to separate its technical achievements from its (supposedly) mediocre gameplay. There's no denying Anthem is one of the most technically impressive games out there right now, downgrade included.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Was Inquisition that bad? Christ.
DA:I has a ton of issues (long story short, it's basically two pretty different games duct-taped together), but the idea that the game is bad is asinine. It's a pretty decent RPG in its own right. It arguably has the best battle system of all Dragon Ages (not especially an achievement I know), it has some great scenery, some good plot moments, neat characters, and a decent amount of content, even if most of it is bloated.

The main issue of the game lies in its dissonance between its "Skyrimesque, pseudo-MMO, open-worldish" part, and its "old school Bioware, dialog-heavy, mostly linear with branching" part.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is non-sense. I get you don't like the game, but it should be *very* easy to separate its technical achievements from its (supposedly) mediocre gameplay. There's no denying Anthem is one of the most technically impressive games out there right now, downgrade included.

It's not.
When competently animated NPCs with professional voice acting spout uninteresting backstory interspersed with pseudohip dad jokes, I'm seriously having a hard time being amazed by the animation and voicework. It might be different for you, that's fine.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His name is in the credits, as an EA gamechanger. He may not been sent a copy, but sure as hell has seen perks on behalf of EA.

I didn't say he never were a gamechanger. And even if his name is in the credits as a gamechanger (though seriously, where did you even see that?), he's clearly not one anymore.

Never the less I find it kinda ridiculous to try and paint someone as some money grabbing opportunist, when he's literally getting blacklisted by companies for his videos. Like, I'm not in Youtube game coverage business, but I have to imagine getting blacklisted by one of the biggest game companies is a bad way to go about being a money grabbing opportunist

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
DA:I has a ton of issues (long story short, it's basically two pretty different games duct-taped together), but the idea that the game is bad is asinine. It's a pretty decent RPG in its own right. It arguably has the best battle system of all Dragon Ages (not especially an achievement I know), it has some great scenery, some good plot moments, neat characters, and a decent amount of content, even if most of it is bloated.

The main issue of the game lies in its dissonance between its "Skyrimesque, pseudo-MMO, open-worldish" part, and its "old school Bioware, dialog-heavy, mostly linear with branching" part.

The battle system in Origins (on PC) is fantastic and much much better than DA:I's.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people asking about Dragon Age: Inquisition on the back of this, it's £4 in like every PSN sale, so likely as cheap everywhere else, just buy it, it is easily worth £4. I really enjoyed it but I also love MMO's too, I can see how some of the "single player mmo" stuff makes sense but none of it ever bothered me, just don't get bogged down trying to complete everything in the Hinterlands and the game flows reasonably well.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EA needs BioWare as much as BioWare needs EA. They trimmed their studios down a lot and if they are smart they won't bet on FIFA forever, so they need diversity. They don't have other RPG studio. They will probably just shuffle some things to make sure that development time is lower for future projects.

If there's one constant in the world, it's football fans buying the same shit every year. FIFA is literally the safest bet in the games industry. EA has a video game monopoly on the world's most popular sport.

Feb 10, 2018
These types of games exist solely to extort as much time/money as possible of the player. The whole experience seems to be balanced around addiction triggers and hijacking your attention, not providing you with a meaningful game experience or try and push the medium forward.

There's a reason we see the usual megacorp players all bet on the same horse. I'm happy that they all seem to fail spectacularly tho, at least critically. Bunch of creatively bankrupt hacks, the lot.
Bioware sold it's soul when they joined EA and and I'll gladly see them offered up to the pile of closed studios if they can become detriment to other studios making the same mistakes.

Definitely agree with the first paragraph.
For the time I played Anthem I did enjoy working together with some random, but I can't stand the addictive hooks built in.
Luckily they don't appeal to me.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
The battle system in Origins (on PC) is fantastic and much much better than DA:I's.
Completely agree with this, Origins combat was great and it's one of the best, if not the best combat system Bioware have made. I do love me some old school CRPG combat though so YMMV.

As for DA:I, it has issues (a lot of them) but it's none the less a great game and 100% worth it for the price you can get it for now. Then again... I'm also one of the heathens that love DA2 and think it's a good, albeit flawed gem.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just watched Kinda Funny Games Daily. The way they've been talking about Anthem for months now is so strange. And keep in mind that I really enjoy these guys' content.
But it's to the point where I honestly can't tell if they are misrepresenting the game's reception on purpose or are just completely lost in their own bubble.
The way they presented the reviews as painting a mostly positive picture was just so weird, lol.

On the topic of Inquisition, I get why it won so many GOTYs. Because I truly loved the game when I first played it but going back to it a few months ago, I was bored out of my mind. Somehow it has aged incredibly poorly for a lot of people. (And I have barely played Witcher 3 so that is not a factor for me.)
I don't think it's a straight up bad game but it was definitely lacking in personality.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
They have already mapped out content???? They couldn't just cancel that..... If they did, they'd have to compensate players at least.

I actually think EA will give this game a lot of support. As if Bioware get this all up and running well they stand to make a lot on Micro transactions which is the ultimate goal for EA.....

sorry, but EA doesn´t give a shit about this game if it doesn´t meet their expectations, Andromeda had also a lot of content planned and nothing came to fruition because it didn´t meet goals

and as of mapped out content, there is this skybox changing event where a few Titans are running around planned and what else? the roadmap is vague at best

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Konami have PES too.

PES is dead
Lost the Champions League License to EA last year and a couple clubs terminated their contracts with Konami so they can be partnered with EA again who is offering more on a bigger stage.

"However, Konami announced that it did not renew its deal with UEFA for the Champions League, Europa League, and the UEFA Super Cup which they had for 10 years; the licence is being used in EA Sports FIFA 19 "

They can't compete with EA anymore financially and after the last couple years you can start believing they don't even want to try competing anymore.
The game probably sells in a whole year less than what Fifa does on Day1 these days.
EA has the monopoly on the market.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Konami have PES too.

True, but for football fans FIFA having the license to official kits, names, stadiums etc is what feeds their addiction. They pay £60 every year for skin changes and players been dragged and dropped from one team to another. Now that PES has given up the champions league license and FIFA has it, it's game over for PES.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People enjoying raiding in WoW because of the extreme variety between raid encounters in terms of boss mechanics and strategies required to tackle them. It's like group problem solving, and it's because of the challenge and variety that people keep coming back again and again.

Sure you have farm after progression is done, but that's just to prepare you for the next tier of content.

The point remains the same, Blizzard doesn't 'repeat' boss encounters in between tiers and the innovation they show to this day when creating boss encounters is comparable to the best of boss fights in any single player experience out there, and put alot of the other offerings avaliable to shame in comparasin.
I would agree with you in that Blizzard does offer some stunning boss encounters for their raids but I still do believe that the complaints of repetition and grind are just as similar to other titles of similar vein. This kind of gameplay loop hasn't really seen much change since its inception way back in early RPG days so really it's just the norm.

Now, that isn't to say it can't change for the better. May it rest in pieces but EverQuest Next had some great concepts for solving the typical grind moment-to-moment gameplay. What Anthem offers isn't bad, it's actually on par really for the genre and I don't see it as a reason for complaining incessantly. Doesn't mean criticism can't be had but putting it down simply because it is similar to others isn't a great critique.

About 20% of your time with the game is actually any conceivable kind of fun (the rest is loading, Tarsis, standing around on objective or dealing with bugs). If that translated to scores, a fair score would be 2/10.

Andromeda was sort of fun about 40% of the time.

Okay so this is just hyperbolic to the ninth degree. Despite its flaws it is in no way a 2/10 game and it in no way only offers 20% of fun. Critique the game but don't hot take for the sake of being hyperbolic.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
sorry, but EA doesn´t give a shit about this game if it doesn´t meet their expectations, Andromeda had also a lot of content planned and nothing came to fruition because it didn´t meet goals

and as of mapped out content, there is this skybox changing event where a few Titans are running around planned and what else? the roadmap is vague at best
I've seen this a few times in this thread but I think it's highly unlikely for this game to be dropped, at least over the next year. I honestly don't think the reaction has been that shocking to the people at Bioware (or EA for that matter), I would bet they knew exactly what state the game was in and how a lot of people would react to that. They're betting on the core game being strong enough and the Bioware brand being recognisable enough to hook in a decent amount of people that can overlook its issues. Not to mention they've ingratiated themselves with the community with their excellent community outreach and communication, the devs on Reddit and Twitter are a legitimately great lot and their dev streams were a great look at the game and the thought process behind stuff.

So even though I'm incredibly disappointed with the game and completely baffled by some (read: a lot) of the design decisions made (seriously, this is the least social multiplayer I think I've ever played. The lack of decent social features like text chat, guilds, map and squad features and a half decent social hub at launch is borderline insulting in this kind of game. This is only compounded by no one in my 30 hours of play using VOIP.) I'm willing to give Bioware some leeway for the next couple of months before I write the game off, purely because they have handled the community better than any over looter shooter or even most full blow MMO's that I've been a part of.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's interesting how EA paid basically all of the big Destiny youtubers to cover this game, not that it's a bad thing that they're getting paid but I feel like you can't really get an unbiased view of this game yet from people who play looter shooters for a living. Datto's impression was the most negative that I saw but still, I feel like he held back a bit.

The marketing for this game is on point though, people see the flying and cool abilities and blindly buy this game, I can assure you that these same people will come back a month later to complain that there is nothing to do in the endgame and that the loot is bad. I've seen this with destiny and the division, it's the same cycle every.fucking.time.
Is BioWare even for the long haul for this game? Who knows, they a roadmap but this doesn't promise that they will update this game frequently enough and they still have dragon age 4 to fall back on.
Only thing that I can recommend people to do is to wait, you're really not missing out buying this game day one, if you're concerned about spoilers then don't. the story is really not that interesting and you basically knows what is going to happen if you saw the trailers.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's interesting how EA paid basically all of the big Destiny youtubers to cover this game, not that it's a bad thing that they're getting paid but I feel like you can't really get an unbiased view of this game yet from people who play looter shooters for a living. Datto's impression was the most negative that I saw but still, I feel like he held back a bit.

The marketing for this game is on point though, people see the flying and cool abilities and blindly buy this game, I can assure you that these same people will come back a month later to complain that there is nothing to do in the endgame and that the loot is bad. I've seen this with destiny and the division, it's the same cycle every.fucking.time.
Is BioWare even for the long haul for this game? Who knows, they a roadmap but this doesn't promise that they will update this game frequently enough and they still have dragon age 4 to fall back on.
Only thing that I can recommend people to do is to wait, you're really not missing out buying this game day one, if you're concerned about spoilers then don't. the story is really not that interesting and you basically knows what is going to happen if you saw the trailers.

The loot in Destiny is fantastic compared to this game. At least you get items that look and feel different. Can't say the same about Anthem. Destiny had a problem how the drops worked. Anthem gets a bunch of things wrong that the competition already solved.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Okay so this is just hyperbolic to the ninth degree. Despite its flaws it is in no way a 2/10 game and it in no way only offers 20% of fun. Critique the game but don't hot take for the sake of being hyperbolic.

You're free to disagree, but really, the fun parts of this game (namely the flying and powers) are really about 20% of your time in it. Everything else is actively hampering your fun.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The loot in Destiny is fantastic compared to this game. At least you get items that look and feel different. Can't say the same about Anthem. Destiny had a problem how the drops worked. Anthem gets a bunch of things wrong that the competition already solved.
Yeah I agree, the loot is Anthem is by far the worst of them all.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there are two kinds of feedback on Inquisition.

- Baffled by the level design, soporific battles, boring zoomed out dialogues, awful mandatory grind and mandatory mmo like fetch quests and just gave up on the game

- People that pushed through and managed to experience later better parts of the game / care for the characters and love it.

I'm the former. I felt actual pain playing through it.

Maybe I should try it again with a trainer or something. What I missed out has to be really amazing for people to think it makes its shortcomings tolerable.
I finished the game. It was still shit.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

EA's move was strategic, of all the looter shooters out Destiny has the most engaged community.

The lore masters. Byf and Myelin average some 200k views per video.

Guys like Datto, Blessious, mtashed, nkuch, Mr fruit, and so many big Destiny "content creators" and streamers - even fringe guys like Lono from SNTR were flown all over the place by EA, because a they have a captive Destiny audience, the same audience that is invested.

So as a destiny player, my ENTIRE YouTube feed was literally taken over by Anthem, every single destiny creator that I followed had somehow been body-swapped with their Anthem-pushing doppelganger.

Even ign's fireteam chat podcast has been replaced by Freelancer chat.

Even though bioware denied it when they're asked if their game is going after destiny, EA thinks otherwise, they've been surgically striking the Destiny audience for what feels like months now.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the way reviewers are talking about how Anthem might be a good product sometime down the road makes no sense at all from a reviewing point a view. In fact, that feeling should be reason to review the game even poorly.

The idea of releasing an unfinished product, grabbing full price for it, and just waiting for it to be fully produced, should always be received with as much criticism as possible.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

that´s the problem with all these streamers, youtubers, content creators and influencers...they are on someone´s payroll, so while you will hear maybe a mild criticism they won´t do it in a way an independent person does it.

that´s why we live in a timeline where you can´t trust any internet personalities impressions anymore, especially not from streamer XY.

Darkset

Oct 28, 2017
I think the way reviewers are talking about how Anthem might be a good product sometime down the road makes no sense at all from a reviewing point a view. In fact, that feeling should be reason to review the game even poorly.

The idea of releasing an unfinished product, grabbing full price for it, and just waiting for it to be fully produced, should always be received with as much criticism as possible.

That's a fair point but I think the reviewers aren't trying to leave their judgement open ended, they're saying it has potential. Most reviews are talking about how good the combat is and there being a lot of room to improve in most other aspects.

I know I personally won't be touching the game unless future patches make it resemble the original announcement.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Kinda surprised for this "stellar\great gameplay" statements on those reviews.

I mean, flying is slick and all, but the shooting with weapon is horribly unimpacful , the enemy variety or encounters design is sub-par, the enemy ia is utter shit, the mission design is mediocre at best etc., You have loading time that disrupt the pace etc.

So if a game have great traversal this automatically traduce in stellar gameplay nowadays??

I mean this game is literally me andromeda with long lasting jet-pack but with a worst ia-shooting departement, and nobody talks about stellar gameplay on andromeda...is the flying thing so important?

I'm missing something here?
Already played the game for 10 hours (for the record)

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Most of my experience was crappy battles that took longer than they should ( played on harder difficulty tho hoping it would make them more exciting ), half the dialogues being zoomed out which made my brain not care for them, horribly slow progression blocked by fetch quests and mmo tier designs.

Do you have any advice to appreciate this masterpiece because I must have been doing something wrong clearly ?

Took me three times but I did manage to get into Inquisition. It takes a lot of work though. The fetch quests and zoomed out dialogues are indeed murderers of fun.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

The harder difficulty in Inquisition pretty much means you take more damage, there are more enemies, you are revived with way less health than on easier difficulties. For you to succeed, you need to prepare properly before battle (meaning, having the right gear, being at the right level, plan your party), strategize during combat, know what your companions can do and play to their advantages, guard and barriers are essential, and, most of all, pause combat to issue orders. Eventually, battles actually become slightly trivial once you master all of this.

There is a roadblock with the Power mechanic in the game, yes, but it did not stop me for long, as a few side activities were enough to allow me to move on. This hurts the game, but doesn't break it, imo.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well, that was easier than expected:

5zAaiYa.png

First game I've refunded prior to release, and second that I've refunded at all this gen (Evolve being the first). I was all down for a punt and there's a part of me that wonders how much I'd enjoy it, but the Jeff on the Bombcast was the final nail in the coffin for me. Anyone that knows me will tell you I'm normally all the way down for an impulse purchase and a monotonous grind, but this is more and more sounding like something I just won't enjoy. A looter shooter that just.. isn't? Loot is what I'd be pushing through the tedium for, and it sounds like there's no real compelling reason to do that.

I'll wait for the patch, play the demo on the X and wait for further end-game impressions.
Pretty impressive achievement Anthem, I'm typically the easiest sell.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
that´s the problem with all these streamers, youtubers, content creators and influencers...they are on someone´s payroll, so while you will hear maybe a mild criticism they won´t do it in a way an independent person does it.

that´s why we live in a timeline where you can´t trust any internet personalities impressions anymore, especially not from streamer XY.

Not all it just depends on who you follow, certainly big content creators or ones that get invited to the private events are certainly alittle biased or really people who I follow like Kinda Funny seem to be *soft* of them due to being invited to so many events, hosting events and even having a bunch of developers on they're shows, they seem to be much less likely to be harsh on the product.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While the loot in destiny used to be great as of recent that's not so much the case. Yes there are some clear weapons that are great but most the armor sets look like shit, Space Hobo Shiek. It's a sea of mediocrity with a few stand out items.

How destiny 1 turned into destiny 2 on the weapons and armor front I'll never know, I some times load up my D1 warlock and marvel at how he looks compared to what destiny 2 has done.

Anthem needs for skins for sure, but that master work stuff seems great.

Steo

Sep 28, 2018
Dublin, Ireland.
When I look at something like RDR2 I can see where all the time they spent making that game went with the amount of detail and content there is in that world.

With Anthem I just don't understand how it took them so long to make it considering how little content there is. What have they been upto for the last 5 or 6 years. Seriously.

It makes me mad that they're charging full price for something like this. It's totally unacceptable.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
When I look at something like RDR2 I can see where all the time they spent making that game went with the amount of detail and content there is in that world.

With Anthem I just don't understand how it took them so long to make it considering how little content there is. What have they been upto for the last 5 or 6 years. Seriously.

It makes me mad that they're charging full price for something like this. It's totally unacceptable.

It really boggles the mind when even the majority of the single player isn't even unique area's just maps that get reused for what little content there is.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. I know it's early, but Anthem is definitely in the running for Best Loading Screens of 2019.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point but I think the reviewers aren't trying to leave their judgement open ended, they're saying it has potential. Most reviews are talking about how good the combat is and there being a lot of room to improve in most other aspects.

I know I personally won't be touching the game unless future patches make it resemble the original announcement.

I understand what you mean but "room for improvement" should only be felt as something positive when the foundations of the game merit a finished product feel already.