• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Western AAA has sold out hard. Open world/gaas everything.
Well yeah, but neither of those things need to spell doom. There are ways to make both work, together or not. It just seems like publishers are trying so hard to outdo each other that the content their devs produce can't keep up with the demands of the business models.

Seems like a really hard place to put a studio.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst February in history of Videogames, period.

Video games are about fun first and foremost, of which everything I've played this month has provided in some capacity. Yes, even Jump Force.

These mediocre scored games are highly flawed, but that doesn't mean they can't be enjoyable to plenty of people out there. Funnily enough my least favorite of the month so far is Metro (I still think it's good! I just enjoyed everything else more), yet that's the highest scoring non-F2P option.

And if you add Tetris and Apex, this is already a better February than any others I recall this entire generation.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Crackdown, Anthem, and Lawbreakers all bombing while Apex and Tetris thrive, it's official:

battle royal has killed off open world loot based and hero shooters

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
I stopped playing about 2 hours in, I'll revisit when the "day 1" patch drops. To those that think it needs more time, how much longer do you think the game needed?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
With Crackdown, Anthem, and Lawbreakers all bombing while Apex and Tetris thrive, it's official:

Right except for them just being poor games and R6 and Overwatch still chugging along longer than any battle royale

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
DESTRUCTOID was nice?

7/10 - Solid and definitely has an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

THE COMEBACK BABY

JH6E.gif

Elginer

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Bioware is wasted on this game, I honestly thought they have something especially or at least put story emphasis on your usual looter-shooter but nope. It's also worse than others at end game with few armor sets, few weapon variety and few end game content. I actually preordered the Legion of Dawn went to beta, got very disappointed, held on to my preorder because maybe there's actually more in the final product but sadly after watching dozen of reviews and previews I cancelled.
I did the same thing, was really truly hoping for something special but it just is a hollow pretty shell which coming from Bioware is just damn sad as hell. This studio made Mass Effect, Kotor and the Dragon Age series. What in the hell happened here? I could understand and deal with the new studio part of Bioware shitting the bed on Andromeda but what in blazes is their excuse here? Years if time and they fart this out. Just sad, I really expected so much more.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my preorder, and it was gonna be the last game I used GCU on (rip best buy).

I thought the reveal looked like a super exciting game, but the demo was bland and the reviews say that's just what the game is. I'll get it eventually or maybe subscribe to the origin pass thing and pay the $15 to play for the ~20 hours or so I was planning on playing the game for.

Hopefully patches/expansions revise the game into something stellar.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Crackdown isn't either of those. The saving grace for CD3 is it's part of Game Pass so checking it out isn't as high a wall as anything else (other than Anthem since you can get into the complete Anthem game for $15 on PC)

Lawbreakers was a disaster from the beginning, there was no saving it.

R6S is doing great for going into ANOTHER season.

Overwatch is doing great, the Pro league season is off to a good start.

Tetris is a novelty. There is no replay value in what they did with Tetris 99.

Last edited:

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
disagree, you can't buy the game digitally or in a store and play until the 22nd. Only way to play is via their subscription service. Their pages on Origin even call it early access to the full game with a release date of Feb 22

So what is it? A beta? Because it's not traditional early access given the fact it's the final build.

If it's a beta, it's false advertising. Either way, both dev and pub failed.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the source of this quote? Cause that's a fact. It's borderline insulting comparing this piece of crap with Destiny 1 Vanilla or even The Division, the game is worse in every single aspect and it came out years after those.

And people need to stop blaming EA when both publisher and now us the consumer have seen the proof that Bioware failed to designed a game with +7 years and millions of dollars in the process.
Giantbombcast

That is the most damning statement so far. This game had more competition on 02/15 than Destiny had for two months. The yongyea video about how tedious one of the required missions was is mind blowing.
If youre worse than Destiny vanilla year 1 4 years after the fact, in which you saw what went wrong and how they fixed it, what have you been doing for the past 6 or however many years developing this game? Because outside of VoG launch destiny was one of the worst games I have ever played.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oof, part of me was predicting Anthem could actually review alright, with reviews averaging in the 80s. Seems the more pessimistic side expecting mediocre reviews in light of the Destiny comparisons --and to a lesser extent, the ME: Andromeda fiasco-- was vindicated.

Hopefully this sells well enough to hit EA's expectations (emphasis on hitting EA's expectations), otherwise Bioware's on PapEA watch...

A second fresh review!

I understood that reference

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Overwatch is doing great, the Pro league season is off to a good start.

I don't know about this. The game's community is slowly decaying and the ones still playing are a little disgruntled/upset that most of the events in the past 6 months have been a repeat/lacking in new content and the ones who left(especially the big deals like Seagull) left because of mobility/CC creep that keeps growing with each new character. The pro league is doing so great because Blizzard is putting a lot of focus into it, but I feel like they are banking so much on the pro scene that they are ignoring the rest of the player base because of this. As a big Overwatch fan and player myself, I now only feel excited to play the game when the next character or PvE content comes out and then drop the game again a couple weeks later, which I'm sure isn't what the developers want.

I also feel that you're underestimating the value of Tetris 99 considering that the core gameplay of tetris is addicting, but time will tell on that one.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about this. The game's community is slowly decaying and the ones still playing are a little disgruntled/upset that most of the events in the past 6 months have been a repeat/lacking in new content and the ones who left(especially the big deals like Seagull) left because of mobility/CC creep that keeps growing with each new character. The pro league is doing so great because Blizzard is putting a lot of focus into it, but I feel like they are banking so much on the pro scene that they are ignoring the rest of the player base because of this.

I also feel that you're underestimating the value of Tetris 99 considering that the core gameplay of tetris is addicting, but time will tell on that one.
This is such a bs narrative. OW was second most viewed game on twitch last week once OWL started. The community being dead is such an overblown notion from people. People aren't happy with the content pipeline but that doesn't meant the community is dying.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Mike Williams wrote a pretty good article over on US Gamer regarding the argument that it's acceptable for Anthem to launch in a lesser state because other loot shooters have.

His argument can be summarized as "It's not 2013 anymore, and Anthem as it exists now should be judged against all of those other loot shooters surrounding it as they exist in their patched, expanded states today, because it is in fact 2019." Compared to the current state of its competition, Anthem is a mess devoid of content and heavy on loading screens. Which, honestly, is pretty fair and not a great look for Anthem.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I was pretty much going to wait 6 months or so for Anthem to get fixed up. At least the core combat sounds great.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
This is such a bs narrative. OW was second most viewed game on twitch last week once OWL started. The community being dead is such an overblown notion from people. People aren't happy with the content pipeline but that doesn't meant the community is dying.

I didn't say the community is dead. I said a lot of them aren't happy with the state of the game. The league is currently inflating twitch numbers for OW and can't be considered as an aggregate to number of players in the game. A fair amount of the big OW streamers in the past few years have dropped the game except for a few. It's not just content that is the problem. You jumped the gun on my post and didn't read it fully. The former pro players started jumping ship because of the balance around CC/movement characters. Like Seagull stated in his state of Overwatch video, the balance of the game has become a case of hot potato and that's not good.

If you are denying all of this and think the game is perfectly fine, then I don't really know what to say.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Gerstmann's thoughts re: the patch and the game's early release mirror my own--the game released on the 15th and treating those that paid to play early as beta testers is slightly offensive and, in his words, "super fucked."

(conversation about anthem starts around 44:00)

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Huh.

I was expecting it to be one of those games where I think it's shit but it reviews well and sells a ton, like the Destiny games.

Glad to be wrong, at least about the first bit.

Kinda surprised though. Reviewers will generally praise the hell out of anything with a big budget that doesn't crash on launch.