• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft seems a little more service and quality focused out of those mentioned. They also are arguably the best at managing studios as a pool of resources.

DICE is also trending downward in a hard way, so this is an EA issue.

That is part of the problem I see if they were under Ubisoft. They would slowly stop being an independent resource and instead just be part of the massive resource pool they shove on whatever project needs the most help.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
5Dr4sqf.png

dwMWObs.jpg

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
That is part of the problem I see if they were under Ubisoft. They would slowly stop being an independent resource and instead just be part of the massive resource pool they shove on whatever project needs the most help.

Cuts both ways. They would, in theory, have an amazing pool of resources at their disposal to make whatever they were after. In a hypothetical world where Bioware still exists separate from EA and owns all their franchises, that'd be a very appealing thing.

Was this posted?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Because EA's internal studio strategy has shifted to maximising profits from their entire portfolio. Single Player narrative focused titles do not fit this objective and they dont provide the "persistence" of multiplayer focused titles or the Microtransaction opportunities abundant in their sports titles.
And what's amazing about this is the phenomenal success that single player titles like God of War, Spider-Man, and Witcher 3 this generation have had.

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory commentary
These types of games exist solely to extort as much time/money as possible of the player. The whole experience seems to be balanced around addiction triggers and hijacking your attention, not providing you with a meaningful game experience or try and push the medium forward.

There's a reason we see the usual megacorp players all bet on the same horse. I'm happy that they all seem to fail spectacularly tho, at least critically. Bunch of creatively bankrupt hacks, the lot. Bioware sold it's soul when they joined EA and and I'll gladly see them offered up to the pile of closed studios if they can become detriment to other studios making the same mistakes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
These types of games exist solely to extort as much time/money as possible of the player. The whole experience seems to be balanced around addiction triggers and hijacking your attention, not providing you with a meaningful game experience or try and push the medium forward.

There's a reason we see the usual megacorp players all bet on the same horse. I'm happy that they all seem to fail spectacularly tho, at least critically. Bunch of creatively bankrupt hacks, the lot. Bioware sold it's soul when they joined EA and and I'll gladly see them offered up to the pile of closed studios if they can become detriment to other studios making the same mistakes.

They don't all fail spectacularly though... that's just an outright lie, lol. Some of them have grown into critical darlings in many ways, too

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Cuts both ways. They would, in theory, have an amazing pool of resources at their disposal to make whatever they were after. In a hypothetical world where Bioware still exists separate from EA and owns all their franchises, that'd be a very appealing thing.
Ubisoft has a fantastic history of post-launch support so they'd be ideal for rebuilding Anthem. It seems that they're very good at managing their studios based on their trend of successes this gen.

Bethesda would be my second choice but they're not exactly doing well with GaaS games as seen with 76.

Yeah, you are probably right. Ubisoft has developed a stellar track record for post launch support and ensuring games become what they need to be.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this is an important point that i think people forget, Bioware is just as aware of how crappy their game is as you are

this wasn't a surprise to them, like they somehow didn't know

didn´t stop this Gamble guy from tweeting non stop about stuff that will be added and what not, this game was in pre release damage control since the first VIP demo. sometimes, talking is silver and silence is golden, the more promises came the more suspicious this whole thing got

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware must have really bad management. I like Anthem but there is no denying that something is not right at Bioware.

Jun 1, 2018
star citizen has been in development for 6 years and they actually have a whole system with different planets ships and gameplay mechanics and when i play anthem i really wonder what the devs at bioware did all those years

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Because EA's internal studio strategy has shifted to maximising profits from their entire portfolio. Single Player narrative focused titles do not fit this objective and they dont provide the "persistence" of multiplayer focused titles or the Microtransaction opportunities abundant in their sports titles.

An argument could be made that EA make enough money to support the occasional high quality single player investment but we dont live in that timeline anymore. Im curious to see what state DA4 will release in. Whether it will be a traditional single player title or some amalgamation of the popular trends we will see over the next few years.
I'm aware of EA's business model but the market for those kind of games is incredibly competitive. You can't expect to release a somewhat middling experience when you know you'll be competing with heavy hitters like Fortnite. By the sounds of things, Anthem isn't a bad game it just isn't a particularly good game and that's probably enough to kill this franchise in the cradle.

Good thing Apex Legends has turned out well for them. At least Respawn is safe now. I fear for the future of Bioware though.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
And what's amazing about this is the phenomenal success that single player titles like God of War, Spider-Man, and Witcher 3 this generation have had.

They have been incredibly successful and profitable, but when compared to the average $/player they pale in comparison to FIFA and Madden which is why EA pursues maximizing margins even if SP is demonstrably profitable. EA doesn't care if it makes money, they only care if it maximizes it's monetization potential. It can lead to incredible results, but it can also blow up in your face.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are the Bioware that people like even still there or were even there 3-5 years ago?

Maybe they left, Frostbite spanner in the works, change to more action slickness sucking development time, resources that was never their thing. I think they've just transitioned over a rocky period while talent left and it's never come together properly, stumbling along and rushing.

I think it's just unfortunate. Sometimes you just can't stop tripping when things don't go your way with someone looking over your shoulder. Maybe it was mis management, talent drain, cohesion loss but it was probably a number of things.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Yea crackdown 3 is great, been killing it the past few days, also a side note, I played and completed Mass Effect Andromeda before the major patches came out.

Was pleased that you can build a vanguard in crackdown 3. Charge (level 3 strength ability) with Shotgun Cryo Ammo. Also ground pound is like the vanguards nova. Also like to equip SMG its nice and fast like ME2 tempest

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
star citizen has been in development for 6 years and they actually have a whole system with different planets ships and gameplay mechanics and when i play anthem i really wonder what the devs at bioware did all those years
You can't be serious with this post. Using SC as an example of good development schedules LOL.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, but that's a lot of emotions for microtransactions. A game can be both an enjoyable experience while having a constant monetization model. It's everywhere.
And how are you any better for wishing for a studio's closure? Fuck hundreds of people, right? It's for the good of gaming as a medium!
Come on... This thread has enough overly dramatic posts as it is.

Oct 28, 2017
They don't all fail spectacularly though... that's just an outright lie, lol. Some of them have grown into critical darlings in many ways, too
They don't of they deliver a product that is up to today's standards. Fail to deliver on a 60 dollar promise and you will get dragged through the mud, deservingly so, as is the case with Anthem, as it was with Destiny 2 and as it will be with the devision 2. People are getting less tolerant with each botched attempt.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
DICE is having very similar problems

Something is wrong with EA as well.

Dice Stockholm as head studio have released 5 games in a recent span of time. I don't think they suffer from bad management per se, rather they lack time given.
Even with the lack of dev time they still release decent games. They definitively need more time but that's an EA problem.

Even though they pretty much follow the same formula, it's quite impressive how they manage to release so many games in such a short amount of time.
Not that it's a good thing but still impressive.

Bioware however had years upon years.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good point. The developers will eat this and it's really shitty.
Yes but at the same time you have to say to yourself..... they gave em 6 years. The last thing you want to do is fall into a sunk cost fallacy when you're running a company. Bioware doesn't have clout of a dev like Rockstar where you can give them an entire gen to make a game and know you're likely to make your investments back.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DICE is having very similar problems and they are still working on stuff 100% in their wheelhouse

Something is wrong with EA as well.
If Bioware were working on a DICE cycle, I can only imagine the games we would get. F76 would be a masterpiece in comparison.

What's wrong with EA is that Ultimate Team makes billions of dollars a year. Internally every game has to compete with that, and the best way of doing it is just looking for the closest model and applying it. I wouldn't say Ubisoft's plan, for example, is that different (turn every game into gaas, bet on continued time/money investment) but they seem to have a lot more pride and desire to make good ass games accompanying those delivery systems, and stretching their creative muscles. Maybe they are just lucky that their games have a more honest appeal, or like Jeff Gerstmann says, it's probably a lack of real creative identity and personality from the top at EA that's put them into such a shit cycle of duds.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They don't of they deliver a product that is up to today's standards. Fail to deliver on a 60 dollar promise and you will get dragged through the mud, deservingly so, as is the case with Anthem, as it was with Destiny 2 and as it will be with the devision 2. People are getting less tolerant with each botched attempt.

You were just talking about launch states? If so then yes, I'm inclined to agree.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but at the same time you have to say to yourself..... they gave em 6 years. The last thing you want to do is fall into a sunk cost fallacy when you're running a company. Bioware doesn't have clout of a dev like Rockstar where you can give them an entire gen to make a game and know you're likely to make your investments back.

At some point you are in so deep you may as well swing for the fences and try to get that new franchise. The comments from the EA execs show how they are super mindful about how Wall St percieves their momentum (or lack thereof) more than anything else. I don't for a second believe Anthem was in full production for 6 years. This game should have realistically been delayed again but you can't because of the FY implications. That's EA in a nutshell. It doesn't help that Apex probably cost a fraction of what Anthem has and is wildly more successful.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Are the Bioware that people like even still there or were even there 3-5 years ago?

Maybe they left, Frostbite spanner in the works, change to more action slickness sucking development time, resources that was never their thing. I think they've just transitioned over a rocky period while talent left and it's never come together properly, stumbling along and rushing.

I think it's just unfortunate. Sometimes you just can't stop tripping when things don't go your way with someone looking over your shoulder. Maybe it was mis management, talent drain, cohesion loss but it was probably a number of things.
There wasn't like, any mass exodus or anything. It's not the same studio it used to be, but that applies to the vast majority of studios as old as it used to be.

There's been staff turnover, for sure, but not at any unusual kind of date or anything that signals doom. I think in general people focus too much on individual people leaving, and say "The studio is a shell of its former self!" everytime they put out a disappointing game. Sure, staff come and go, but with proper management they can keep things focused, hire good talent, keep the same general work and design ethics, and you won't even notice. I kinda get the impression BioWare is fucking up on that part.

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but that's a lot of emotions for microtransactions. A game can be both an enjoyable experience while having a constant monetization model. It's everywhere.
And how are you any better for wishing for a studio's closure? Fuck hundreds of people, right? It's for the good of gaming as a medium!
Come on... This thread has enough overly dramatic posts as it is.

I'm not railing against microtransactions. I'm railing against products that are sold to us for 60 dollars that obviously are not ready yet, and where meaningful content either had to make room or was obviously chopped up to create artificial longevity and throw up more speedbumps. All in an effort to hook you on the grind. I adore overwatch, LoL, Apex legends and many other games that get the monetisation models right. You know what sets them apart? A high quality product out of the gate, set at the right price.

Also, I'm not wishing Bioware to foreclose, but I will not shed a tear if they succumb to the pressure to forego quality in return for the quickest ROI.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

These takes are so dumb. Basically the "git gud" of armchair game development.

"JUST BE ONE OF THESE TWO FIRST PARTY GAMES OR BE THE GAME OF THE GENERATION 4HEAD."

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
At some point you are in so deep you may as well swing for the fences and try to get that new franchise. The comments from the EA execs show how they are super mindful about how Wall St percieves their momentum (or lack thereof) more than anything else. I don't for a second believe Anthem was in full production for 6 years. This game should have realistically been delayed again but you can't because of the FY implications. That's EA in a nutshell. It doesn't help that Apex probably cost a fraction of what Anthem has and is wildly more successful.
You realize you just described one of the reasonings that results into a sunk cost fallacy?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When the grind is, do X in the endgame and get Y reward, it is fine because it is optional and you chose to put in the work.

When it is do X grind because the next story beat/progression is locked behind it, that is not fun because you were forced to do it.
That is literally every MMORPG or loot shooter ever when it comes to questing or final content. That's the entire point of the content, to dangle the carrot in front of you. Again, there is legitimate complaints on this game despite its fun nature, but that there is grind in the game is not a complaint, especially when reviewers are painting it negatively and asking for the reward to be given straight away.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ubisoft has a fantastic history of post-launch support so they'd be ideal for rebuilding Anthem. It seems that they're very good at managing their studios based on their trend of successes this gen.

Bethesda would be my second choice but they're not exactly doing well with GaaS games as seen with 76.

Ubisoft already has a fantastic loot shooter with the Division, and if the demo holds true Division 2. Ubisoft house is full.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Desctructoid just dropped a rather positive sounding (if you read it) 7.
BioWare will need to build quickly on top of its shimmering jet-fueled foundation to hold people's interest, but folks looking for a new neighborhood to move into might want to give Anthem a try -- either now or after fixes and updates.

Pretty much what I expected but... it's sort of concerning that even a pretty generous and positive review has to end with a caveat that the game is in dire need of content, fixes, and updates. But I imagine this is where most reviews will hover around. The game has fun elements hampered by a lot of flaws. Some can, and I imagine will, be patched out eventually. Others... are more integrated into the foundation of the game itself.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what I expected but... it's sort of concerning that even a pretty generous and positive review has to end with a caveat that the game is in dire need of content, fixes, and updates. But I imagine this is where most reviews will hover around. The game has fun elements hampered by a lot of flaws. Some can, and I imagine will, be patched out eventually. Others... are more integrated into the foundation of the game itself.
I think most of us predicted this would be where it landed, even when we were hoping way back during development.

It's frustrating Anthem wasn't the game to break this curse. I wonder who will be the first...