• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aglioeoglio

Gaming Writer/Editor at The Hollywood Reporter
Verified
Feb 5, 2019
I've actually enjoyed this game more than I thought I would given some of the troubled production leading up to its release and the negative reviews its garnered

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to find anything about that but I also don't know how to twitter well. For me I give no shits on what people do with reviews as most are flawed or rushed when it comes to these online shooters but that original tweet along with this one paint a picture of who they are. To have complained about grind in a loot shooter and that they would rather skip it is just absurd because of the design the game has gone for. Despite Anthem's clear flaws and my enjoyment you can't with a straight face recommend a review by someone who complains about grind in a grind game.

Why do people constantly try to review these games as what they are not. And then complain that they can't get everything asap is beyond me considering the genre and with other titles like Warframe relying so heavily on said grind. Heck Monster Hunter is grind heaven but that's a okay in killing the same monsters over and over.

Jeff Gertsmann and other people have also brought up that point, and not all grind is equal. As someone with 1k+ hours on Path of Exile, almost 2k hours on Marvel Heroes (RIP), hundreds of hours on Diablo 2, 3, Titan Quest, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Torchlight, Destiny, The Division, etc. I can tell you with a large degree of certainty that there is good grind and bad grind, and dismissing complaints about how fun or how obnoxious or poorly implemented it is, such as it breaks the flow of the story or it feels meaningless and obstructive, out of hand is also absurd.

A lot of games outside of the looter shooter genre also have an element of grinding. If people were having fun with this particular variety they wouldn't bring it up, simple as that.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You said the environments feel "empty and lifeless". Which to me they feel exactly the opposite– everything is in motion, flocks of birds, spores floating around in certain areas, misty waterfalls, underwater is packed with bioluminescent creatures, tress swaying in the wind, etc. The world is literally packed with life.
I wasn't the poster you originally responded to, but sure. I think all those things make for a pretty picture, but it's not what I would call a world full of life. I would never call waterfalls, trees swaying, clouds as some factor of what makes a world full of life. Might as well mention stones.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They are selling the game at a premium price to play the full game early. No where did EA or Bioware say that the game that launched on the 15th was early access. It was marketed as the full game to those who payed a lot of money to play it early. It is offensive to players to say otherwise and gives a free pass to companies to continue to do this shit.

But they aren't. The full game isn't playable if you bought it. Only way to play it's is a sub to a service.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
They are selling the game at a premium price to play the full game early. No where did EA or Bioware say that the game that launched on the 15th was early access. It was marketed as the full game to those who payed a lot of money to play it early. It is offensive to players to say otherwise and gives a free pass to companies to continue to do this shit.

People payed 15 dollars for the Origin Access service. As for "no where did EA say the game that launched on 15th is early access" you're wrong. I suggest you check facts first.

Anthem launches February 22, 2019 for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4, and PC. Early Access begins on February 15 for Origin Access and EA Access members.

Here it is, right on the page:

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/play-anthem-early-with-origin-and-ea-access

So, now that you're wrong on both accounts, are you going to admit it or say "it doesn't matter, still"?

The game is in Early Access. The patch on 22nd february will be launch day patch. It very well may still suck, but it's the state the game will launch in and this is a pre-release code. These are facts. Fair is fair.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for interesting setting, combat variety, and if the loot grind is satisfying.
Well for me for an interesting setting it has to be varied as well. Anthem's single biome is the definition of boring to me.
And yeah if you like loot grinding...If you never played Borderlands 2, I'd really recommend it. It's probably 5 or 10 bucks on the usual storefronts.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
People banging that drum about day one patch:

- Plot and characters are a bore.
– Open world feels empty and lifeless.
– Counter-intuitive multiplayer.
– Story missions are samey and dull.
– Campaign is sub-15 hours long.
– Unremarkable post-game content (for now).

No patch is going to fix these problems..

YIKES..... I may not buy this then. This sounds so AWFUL.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it a final build when there is a new one coming on launch day?

I'm not downplaying anything. I don't even think one patch can change much. But I like calling things what they are. This is a game that is in early access. A game on the announced launch date will be a newer build. This will be the state the game launches in. Most games these days have a launch day patch. A lot of games can be played before they are "considered finished and launched". I'm playing Hades at the moment. I payed for it. It's not a finished game. When Supergiant decides to launch it, they will have a patch to bring all the installations to the launch build. It will be called "a launch day patch" not a "day 37 patch" or something.

You guys are trying to present it like the game launched in an even worse state than it will launch in. The game that launches can also be buggy, bad, whatever - but this doesn't change the fact the game still hasn't launched, you're playing a pre-release code and the patch on 22nd will not be "day 8 patch". Why are you trying to spin this? You'll probably have a lot of reasons to criticize the game when it launches, after the day 1 patch too, don't worry. But this is just spiteful behavior.

The early access via EA Access was never touted as the early access we see on Steam or Game Preview, it literally costs you more to buy the early access version, or the subscription. It is one week early, not months early like Hades.

This is not the same at all.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Moist meter:

Says they played 8 hours and 15 hours.
Cons:
-Loadings times, takes 4 loading times till in game
-Once in game gives you a few seconds to catch up with friends if not another loading screen
- gameplay is not fun
- limited customization
-game breaking bugs/ funny bugs
-story is bad / villian is barely in it
-missions are repetitive
-ai is terrible and brain dead
- endgame content is bad
- bosses are just bullet sponges
- 3 varieties of weapons, way to limited
-challenges make up part of the story and is padding

Pros:
-visuals are nice
- music is nice but not amazing

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The early access via EA Access was never touted as the early access we see on Steam or Game Preview, it literally costs you more to buy the early access version, or the subscription. It is one week early, not months early like Hades.

Is King really done with the game?

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I have little faith that EA toughs it out like ActivBungie did with Destiny. EA bailed on ME:A pretty damn quickly. I hope I'm wrong.
i keep seeing this and dont get it. what does Andromeda. A single player game. Have to do with Anthem...a Gaas game? Did Andromeda even have a season pass or something and they cancelled the DLC??? Is that a thing??
What would make anyone think that a big AAA looter shooter gaas is all of a sudden going to get dropped? Did Bungie stop making Destiny 1 content when it came out and got bad reviews? Did Massive stop making Division content when it lost 90% of its playerbase in 2 weeks??

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to find anything about that but I also don't know how to twitter well. For me I give no shits on what people do with reviews as most are flawed or rushed when it comes to these online shooters but that original tweet along with this one paint a picture of who they are. To have complained about grind in a loot shooter and that they would rather skip it is just absurd because of the design the game has gone for. Despite Anthem's clear flaws and my enjoyment you can't with a straight face recommend a review by someone who complains about grind in a grind game.

Why do people constantly try to review these games as what they are not. And then complain that they can't get everything asap is beyond me considering the genre and with other titles like Warframe relying so heavily on said grind. Heck Monster Hunter is grind heaven but that's a okay in killing the same monsters over and over.

SkillUp loves good grind games. Emphasis on good.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People banging that drum about day one patch:

- Plot and characters are a bore.
– Open world feels empty and lifeless.
– Counter-intuitive multiplayer.
– Story missions are samey and dull.
– Campaign is sub-15 hours long.
– Unremarkable post-game content (for now).

No patch is going to fix these problems..
Don't forget the underwhelming enemy variety.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People payed 15 dollars for the Origin Access service. As for "no where did EA say the game that launched on 15th is early access" you're wrong. I suggest you check facts first.

Here it is, right on the page:

https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/news/play-anthem-early-with-origin-and-ea-access

So, now that you're wrong on both accounts, are you going to admit it or say "it doesn't matter, still"?

The game is in Early Access. The patch on 22nd february will be launch day patch. It very well may still suck, but it's the state the game will launch in and this is a pre-release code. These are facts. Fair is fair.

Once again, this is just semantics. It is not early access in the vein of a game like Hades which still has months of development ahead.

This is the new trend with game publishers to release games early and goat people into buying more expensive editions (Forza Horizon 4, The Divison 2, Battlefield 1 etc.) to play early, not to test the game.

It literally says

"The Legion of Dawn Edition will automatically be yours – not a trial, but the full game "

THE FULL GAME

Nowhere does it say "it is an early version that isn't complete and the day one patch will fix most of the broken stuff that will drag down your first week of play, along with endgame breaking bugs"

You simply don't see the difference and so there is no point discussing this further.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Moist meter:

Cons:
-Once in game gives you a few seconds to catch up with friends if not another loading screen
- gameplay is not fun
- limited customization
-missions are repetitive
- endgame content is bad

Pros:
-visuals are nice

They got nowhere near end game if that is true

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that the game is anywhere near perfect but let's be honest, the "premium" you're paying is 15 bucks. You don't have to buy an entire year of premier to play the game right now.

Again I totally agree that the patch being launched on the 15th would have been the best thing to do, but here we are.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
You simply don't see the difference and so there is no point discussing this further.

Hey, if you want think this is the final game, you pretend it is. I'm not saying it's the same, I'm not even saying the game will be good, all I'm saying is this:

The game launches on 22nd February.
If you preorder the game, you get to play it on 22nd February.
There will be a patch on 22nd February.
A patch that gets pushed just before the game launches is called "a launch day patch".
EA allowed players with Premium Origin Access to play the game 7 days early. EA calls this "Early Access" and this is written on the page.
The code is different from the code that will be available on launch day.

All of these are facts. Not opinions, not viewpoints - this is how it is. You can call them "semantics", they are still facts.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So we all agree now this isn't BioWare's fault?
Biggest games of the generations/similar games development times:
Breath of the Wild: 4 Years
God of War(2018): 4 years
Red Dead Redemption 2: ~Around 5 years assuming development started after the PS360 release of GTAV
Destiny 2: 3 years

Amount Bioware Had: 6 years.

Its clear that development was extremely troubled from the get go. And they don't even have Square Enix's excuse of constantly switching engines and developers(which is the cause of most of their delays). Yeah... It's not a good look at all considering how high the development times were, and how much was invested into this project. It clearly was given a lot of resources, unlike something such as Fallout 76. It's just a bad look overall.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, like I didn't enjoy my time with the demo but this is brutal for Bioware. Seems well deserved though.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. IIRC, Warframe basically uses an airlock (2 door) design. Go through the main door, then go to the second door to get outside. Sometimes it clearly takes a moment to load, of course.

Correct, DE use both the Air-lock design (Cetus) & the vertical variant; AKA Elevator design (Fortuna), but that only really works if your total loading time is around 10s MAX.

I genuinely thought the "loading screen" during the demo is just a placeholder; but then I saw it is actually in the "final " build. It looks and feels so old fashioned that I am sure they simply didn't have time care about stuff like that when are rushing the game out to meet deadlines.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reviews by people who dislike the genre are vitally important.

"Hey, I'm not a big fan of -insert genre-, but will I like -insert game in this genre-? Certain unique parts of it look fun. (In this specific case imagine this is Anthem's flying)" is a fairly common thing to see. Getting the input of people with a similar experience is how you answer that question, whilst people who love grind games can go to people with different tastes for the reviews more relevant to them.
And that is totally fair, I understand the need for variety in reviews so that those who may not typically look at the genre get a take from someone who doesn't typically play the genre but they agree with their review opinions. My problem is mainly in that element of where people complain about grind in a game genre specifically made for grinding due to the nature of character building and reputation development. Think in the same line as really any MMO ever, but that the reviewer wants to skip all the raids and just get to looking pretty. What's the point then?

Should there be less grind? I don't know, seems like that would defeat the purpose of the proposed gameplay loop which I've found decently fun so far. Can that loop be improved? Sure can, and I do hope so. Should someone be barred from that opinion? Gosh no, but at least identify why you don't like grind in a grinding genre/game eloquently and not with the follow up of "I just want the shiny stuff now" that plagues video game reviews.
I know people hate it in destiny, but honestly when you think about it it probably boils down to a resource thing like a lot of the decisions in these GaaS titles.
It's realistically an element in these games and the genre of MMO/loot shooter that enables a gameplay loop for players to grow in numbers. It's basically stat padding because it is the easiest way to make a player feel powerful and want to get the next piece of gear. Heck WoW makes you raid for hours on end with the same repeated boss encounters and that's been trucking along fine.

This is my only problem with these reviews right now, is they are for some reason ignoring the gameplay elements typical in this genre. Yes, Anthem is broken or flawed to a degree. Is it fun? Sure is. Flying around as a hulking piece of metal that I've coloured to be like Hulk Buster is just a dream come true. Is it grindy? Yep, and I love it as my way of wasting time.

Regardless of this thread and its hot takes I just wish reviewers actually gave a shit about what the genre is and how they've reviewed other titles like it in the past. Instead it's a vacuum on each title where one will be praised for its grind and the other sacrificed for doing just that. It creates a real disparity on review fairness, which isn't to say don't talk about flaws but that those "flaws" are sometimes seen as outstanding design decisions in other games of similar nature.

Anyway, I'm going way off track here. I'm glad there is a beacon being shone on clear game development that suffered but I do enjoy what is there enough to keep playing. I mean, Destiny didn't "die" and it was pretty fucking bad in launch for both the original and sequel. Heck we had to wait until an expansion for both games to be fixed.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

There is no or

It's only sub members. Legion of dawn edition does not give you access early.

Edit: how did I end up quoting the wrong person

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Lol so now the EA early Access that is clearly an Early Access to the final product is not a final product, its just early access. Sure.

Its just the latest trend from all AAA games, release the deluxe/gold/whatever edition a few days early and charging more for it. EA has these Origin stuff that are subscription based but atr literally the same, a way of getting money and letting people play a few days early.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It literally says it's early access on the EA page.
Are you seriously trying to imply EA is touting this game as being in a state of early access as opposed to advertising early access to the full game, a mere week prior to the launch of the full game? And think about the implications of such a service relative to how early access games are actually sold. Most cases you pay a smaller amount to get into early access and then get the full game at release without paying anything more. Here youre suggesting EA is requiring an additional fee for a service which allows people to pay them MORE than the original amount in order to play an early access game, a week before the game is no longer in early access (lol at the thought of this), and then pay full price for the game (minus the 10% discount but with the sub cost youre still paying more than 60 dollars) once it launches?

This game is not in early access. EA is giving you early access to the full, final game, which is quite distinct from the state of the game being in early access By your logic nearly every single game ever released this gen would be early access until the time when it no longer gets any updates, which is a complete bastardization for how the industry defines early access.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Lol so now the EA early Access that is clearly an Early Access to the final product is not a final product, its just early access. Sure.

Its just the latest trend from all AAA games, release the deluxe/gold/whatever edition a few days early and charging more for it. EA has these Origin stuff that are subscription based but atr literally the same, a way of getting money and letting people play a few days early.

Sure do......only pay $99 a year to play just anthem early. Not every other game on the catalog along with getting the highest tiered edition.

Nope.......just anthem so I can play a few days early. Jesus Christ I don't condone the early access on the premiere sub but to say they are charging more for it despite me getting more value out of EA games at $99 a year is utter bullshit remarks from someone who hasn't looked into the service.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
By your logic nearly every single game ever released this gen would be early access until the time when it no longer gets any updates, which is a complete bastardization for how the industry defines early access.

No, what logic is that? It would be in early access before the "releases on" date on the PSN Store/Xbox Store/Steam/Epic/etc.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Sure do......only pay $99 a year to play just anthem early. Not every other game on the catalog along with getting the highest tiered edition.

Nope.......just anthem so I can play a few days early. Jesus Christ I don't condone the early access on the premiere sub but to say they are charging more for it despite me getting more value out of EA games at $99 a year is utter bullshit remarks from someone who hasn't looked into the service.
You angry? I never said anything about EA early access not being a good product, or not being worth it, or that people would play only Anthem on it... Just said that the Early Access exist as a way for EA and other, using various strategies, to get extra money. Meaning: it is the full game, not an "early access" (as a Beta) game. Calm down.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
You angry? I never said anything about EA early access not being a good product, or not being worth it, or that people would play only Anthem on it... Just said that the Early Access exist as a way for EA and other, using various strategies, to get extra money. Meaning: it is the full game, not an "early access" (as a Beta) game. Calm down.

Read what you wrote and think again.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Hey, if you want think this is the final game, you pretend it is. I'm not saying it's the same, I'm not even saying the game will be good, all I'm saying is this:

The game launches on 22nd February.
If you preorder the game, you get to play it on 22nd February.
There will be a patch on 22nd February.
A patch that gets pushed just before the game launches is called "a launch day patch".
EA allowed players with Premium Origin Access to play the game 7 days early. EA calls this "Early Access" and this is written on the page.
The code is different from the code that will be available on launch day.

All of these are facts. Not opinions, not viewpoints - this is how it is. You can call them "semantics", they are still facts.

In this case the purpose of semantics on EA's behalf is actually to obscure the facts of these "Early Access" rollouts — which is that playing the game on its actual release date (which clearly isn't the 22nd of February, as consumers are playing the game in its entirety right now) is reserved for a specific tier of customer. Your post show just how effective this messaging can be at hiding that reality.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, what logic is that? It would be in early access before the "releases on" date on the PSN Store/Xbox Store/Steam/Epic/etc.
Don't cut out the entirety of my post or points here. Giving people access to a game early is not the same as the state of a game being in early access. That logic I used in that hypothetical, was your logic applied to this game. Youre calling the state of the game as early access when its not. Its the actual game, just released a few days prior to members of the service. Even looking at EA's official statement on what this entails, their website says this

try brand new games before launch day

Theyre not indicating the state of the game is an early access game. Theyre allowing members to play it early which is completely, unequivocally, different from how youre trying to call it. Youre obfuscating what the industry standard is for a game which is in early access, with a game that simply allows players to play it early. A day 1 update isn't going to be this magic fix that drastically changes what people are playing here.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
There's always the option of just paying for a month of premier to try the game out. No one needs to shell out a full 100 bucks just to play the game early.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
Moist meter:

Cons:
- gameplay is not fun
- limited customization
-missions are repetitive
- endgame content is bad

Pros:
-visuals are nice

this is the same fucking company that gave us KOTOR and mass effect

tumblr_p1jbybg0ta1vhfplho1_400.gif

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting a huge Mass Effect Andromeda vibe from Anthem. What the hell happened to Bioware? The dialogue/script and characters make me want to facepalm so hard that my fist may penetrate through my brain.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
So we all agree now this isn't BioWare's fault?
At some point we need to start putting the blame on Bioware. They chose to use Frostbite. They had 7 years to make this game. They wanted to make this type of game. It's on them this time.

CGMagazine: 7/10
Despite its abundance of bugs, narrative shortcomings, and an overall small pool of content, I still enjoyed the fun gameplay of Anthem and plan to revisit it after the game has developed a larger suite of content and events for me to experience. In its current state though, the experience is one I would recommend waiting on for people on the fence because it doesn't quite deliver yet on what Bioware envisioned for this game.
________

Hell, this does not sound like a 7 at all
Christ that score is the epitome of how slanted review scores are. It sounds like a 5 at most, not a bloody 7. 7's are for solid and entertaining games not games you tell people to pass on right now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Bizarrely I'm more interested to play this now than at any point before. Even had the demo downloaded but didn't play it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There's always the option of just paying for a month of premier to try the game out. No one needs to shell out a full 100 bucks just to play the game early.
This is what I did. For $15 I got the entire game a week early. I felt like it was a good deal especially since I didn't want to risk a full $60 on it. If I really want to keep playing it after the month is up I'll decide if it's worth buying at the discounted premier price.