• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
the thing that breaks the neck of this game for me is, when you take away the fact that it is Bioware and EA, imagine you would play it without knowing from who it is...i would think it is a free2play MMO from some unknown developer and that is what is damning about the game...it has no identity which you could pin point to a quality product or a coherent production, it comes over as some disjointed mess and something that is already a few years old

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Officially got confirmation that my Xbox One digital pre-order is cancelled. I just can't give Bioware $80 Canadian for a game in this state.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Here's what I've learned about gaas games:

They tend to be major products. They are surely made with budget and schedule in mind. The game can get out the door in a premature state and start making money and growing. The benefit of launching in the bare-bones state must outweigh the hit in critical reception and bad word of mouth.

We've observed several major publishers do this lately. Even Capcom and Sony with Street fighter 5 and Gran Turismo sport. Particularly surprised that Sony did it with a title as big as Gran Turismo.

But they are doing this for a reason. I'm used to it now, and it doesn't even make me mad. The games can come out essentially early access, take their lowered review scores, and be allowed to find their audience and grow that way. A lot more clarity in communicating this would be nice. Less people would end up disappointed.

I realize this game has more problems than that. But that's one aspect of it.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If this sells poorly, I wonder if EA will learn their lesson that they should stop this "play a week early" nonsense? Word of mouth in a week's time really does them no favors, especially when their games aren't in great condition. Didn't Battlefield V suffer the same fate of getting torn apart it's early week?

For games like Anthem or Destiny, I'm just wondering what the proper way is to set a foundation. I listened to a podcast last year from a big Fantasy writer (I feel bad I can't remember who it was), but I liked his idea that in a world with massive lore surrounding gods and magic, the best way to start is small. Keep your story focused and personal. Let the reader enjoy the mystery of the world, all the while feeling like they are part of it as the characters slowly, incidentally reveal said world through bits of dialogue. Games like Anthem seem to think the best way to bring you into a new world is to throw you into the deep end right off the bat. Then have characters go on long expositions explaining more and more when needed. Honestly, one of the strengths of something like Harry Potter is that it starts small, and slowly unravels the world and it's lore. I know books and video games aren't the same...but it is something I keep going back to.

Word of mouth would have been helped if EA/BioWare had actually supported the release and updated the game.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have Game Pass for Crackdown 3 (which I'm having a ton of fun with).

..annnnd...

I have EA Access to try Anthem for 10 hours for "free".

I appreciate these new services for the cheap access to try games out.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
https://kotaku.com/anthems-loading-times-are-a-real-problem-1832733306

Last January, in a piece about the severe pressure that BioWare was feeling on Anthem, and about how the studio had rebooted and paused Dragon Age 4 as a result, I reported that the game had been delayed from fall 2018 to early 2019. I wrote that, as BioWare sources had told me, the fall 2018 window was "never realistic" due to Anthem's rocky development. Shortly afterwards, EA confirmed that delay in an unusual fashion. On a quarterly earnings call in February 2018, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said that it wasn't actually a "delay" because actually, the game would've been ready—they just wanted to move it away from Battlefield V.

"Regardless of how it's being portrayed, we're not looking at that as a delay," Wilson told investors. "The date is chosen by portfolio balance, not product readiness." And, wrote the Wall Street Journal: "The company denies a report in videogame site Kotaku earlier this month claiming the change is due to development being behind schedule... 'It's not a delay,' EA's finance chief Blake Jorgensen tells the WSJ. 'People are trying to create a story.'"

Now that it's February 2019 and Anthem players need to wait for a day-one patch to fix critical game-breaking issues, those EA executive comments sure are fascinating.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Division 2 will be a safe bet for many because its not drastically different from the first, mostly refining and fleshing out what worked in the first game.

T'was exactly my thought process when i decided to cancel my pre-order of Anthem. I was planning on getting The Division 2 anyway, and I just feel like Div-2 will be a better game overall because they were able to learn from the mistakes of the the first game. Not to mention, the two games release like 22 days apart and I really only have time for one looter/shooter.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
First it was 'this demo build is months old not the latest' now it's 'wait for day 8 patch'. I'd wager the game will still be buggy as all hell on the "official" release then it will be 'wait for Taken King'. :)

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

Not sure if this should go in the OT but here's a fun article about how Anthem was previously "not delayed".

Edit: Ah ya beat me Procheno.

EA at it again lol

Seriously I hate how speculative the industry is now. Would EA stocks had really suffered that much from a delay...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
T'was exactly my thought process when i decided to cancel my pre-order of Anthem. I was planning on getting The Division 2 anyway, and I just feel like Div-2 will be a better game overall because they were able to learn from the mistakes of the the first game. Not to mention, the two games release like 22 days apart and I really only have time for one looter/shooter.

I will probably end up getting Div2 but I will wait till the content gets fleshed out more. I know what to expect, so I won't be jumping in day one expecting some amazing revelation in Loot games. It will be a solid, if safe, looter shooter which will probably fill in gaps while I wait for Anthem content, more Diablo 3 seasons, Borderlands 3, etc.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda feeling the 7.x/10 score.
Glad I did the $15 EA Access Premier. After four days and just shy of 20 hours, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need the whole month. The loop between being in the field and going back to Tarsis is painful.
What's there has potential, and when it clicks and action is frantic, it's damn good, but those moments come too few and too far between, especially on this drawn out narrative path.
Overall, this thing needed more time in the oven.

It's like they were putting together a 1000-piece puzzle on a timer, and they just ran out of time, and there are multiple chunks of disjointed puzzle blobs on the table.
You get what the final product is supposed to look like, and the picture that's coming through looks great, but it's markedly unfinished.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Between playing Destiny 2 for the first time, Path of Exile's new expansion having been announced just now to come out March 8th and a potential dip into Division 2 I'm good with no Anthem in my life for a while.

Sorry Bioware.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

tenor.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First it was 'this demo build is months old not the latest' now it's 'wait for day 8 patch'. I'd wager the game will still be buggy as all hell on the "official" release then it will be 'wait for Taken King'. :)
These kinds of posts are legitimately misleading.

The demo build was months old, it was okay to mention that. The release actually fixed many of the issues the demo had, which was apparent with the chatter for the first few hours of Anthem's launch as people were positively surprised at the improvements.

Then they realized the game had quite a few other issues, which are being addressed in the patch. We even have the patch notes to see, here. So it's fair to say "wait for this patch, it will fix your issue" if your issue is something listed in that patch.

These are almost always NOT a blind defense force stanning the game, but people talking actual sense to specific comments.

This is more apparent when you realize we KNOW what's in the day 1 patch, and it's clear it won't fix core issues people have (lack of content, variation of enemies, environment being samey, etc...), so literally no one is saying "wait for the patch" in response to those things.

So this rhetoric you and others claim is happening.... isn't happening.

The game has released in a poor state, everyone can see this. Some are enjoying it despite the flaws and have hope, others are bailing as they've had enough of this model and all the excuses.

This idea that people are deflecting all concerns saying "wait for X" is misleading and just isn't happening like you suggest it is.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is why I never fall for this shit.

If there's a demo for a game that is a month away from release and that demo is buggy as all hell, it's not that it was based on a much earlier and buggy build, etc etc... It's gonna come out broken, friends.

The issues it had were on such a fundamental level that there was not enough time for them to get that game ready for prime time.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled my pre-order after playing the beta. Just going to go with The Division 2.

Yep, this is where my crew and I stand after the beta. As others have said its gonna take awhile to get this one worked out.

I'll give it a rental this weekend just for kicks, move on to division 2 and maybe pock this up in a year with the inevitable "we fixed everything!" Patch/expansion

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game really did not need to exist, how about take a step back and go back to your roots and release a single player RPG with good storytelling like you used to be known for?

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the fact that the only GOTY from EA, in the last decade, were made BioWare in the last decade, is enough for their survival.

I also hope it also helps EA realize they shouldn't make BioWare be a company that only follow trends of the market, this is not what they're good at. They have the stuff they excell at and shouldn't deviate from it.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I hope the fact that the only GOTY from EA, in the last decade, were made BioWare in the last decade, is enough for their survival.

I also hope it also helps EA realize they shouldn't make BioWare be a company that only follow trends of the market, this is not what they're good at. They have the stuff they excell at and shouldn't deviate from it.
Where is this narrative that Bioware was forced to make this coming from lol

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Is it fair to call it a Day One patch when EA gave the game such a wacky release timeline that requires a chart to understand?

Day One is the first day you can play the final product? They are trying to push their service. Makes sense but it is silly. As a PS4/Switch gamer, makes it easier to look at the dates.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't know if anyone at giantbomb will end up writing a review but Jeff just murdered the game on the bombcast. And it didn't seem cynical or anything, he was legit bummed, more than I've seen him be about a game in a looong time. Brad isn't a fan either but hasn't beaten it yet. Jason was a bit more positive, he does enjoy the core gameplay loop and is tentatively interested in playing more.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I know, I'm saying calling it a delay or not shouldnt matter. The only reason it would is to investors
EA is obviously tying a bold new strategy with this game: doing one thing whilst claiming you're doing something else.

"It's not a delay, the release date is just later now."

"Get ready for the day 1 patch, which comes out a week after launch!"

I'm mocking it but honestly, it's kinda working in a way.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
67. Calling it. Pretty classic GAAS score at launch, but question is whether EA will support it so that it grows into what Ubisoft and Bungie grew their worlds into.

Put another way, does EA believe Anthem long-term?

I doubt it.

I don't think they have many options. Anthem was and still is their "next big IP" and it is supposed to be their crown jewel going forward.
Maybe that's going to be Apex now...

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
No, I think they'll turn it around with Anthem over the coming months. Just like every other AAA GaaS type so far.
Other GaaS had publishers or developers who are willing to stay in it for the long haul. This is EA's first venture in these types of games so that is why I am being cautious...

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
It's true in this day and age with GaaS release schedules.

Day One for a game is all subjective. Just like fun.