• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I found Owen to be one of most interesting and funny characters. Loved how he interacts with our Freelancer and all the humour. Probably one of the most interesting characters during the 10 hours I got to play imo.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
for some odd reason I am still excited as heck for this. I hope that it has some redeemable qualities. At least Division 2 is coming out a month later if it turns out to be a dud.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I blame game media in the first place for mismanaged expectations. The impressions from E3 where absolutely ridiculous, even people like Jeff Gerstmann and Austin Walker doing complete 180s from their first takes.

It's the same exact thing as Evolved, scooping up E3 awards left and right, while the gamers at home are scratching their heads in disbelief. Why? Whats special about this game?

Then low and behold the game comes out and is forgotten in a week.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I am just gonna pre-face this by saying I actually had my pre-order canceled so I am not sayint it to defend BW or justify my purchase AND I agree it is a shitting position that they bring upon themselves solely for subscription money via early access.

However I would argue the actual launch date is not arbitrary. All of their official advertising had 2.22.2019 as launch date. What they should have done is put a giant disclaimer for those that can play it early to say "early access experience does not include potential patches available at launch".

57hzckrnk5h21.jpg
The launch date isn't arbitrary (I mean it is depending on how you look at it, but I get what you mean), but the idea that the game on week 1 is not ready to be reviewed but on week 2 it's totally ready is completely arbitrary.

You don't get to release a game, charge people for it, and then state they aren't allowed to judge it until a specific patch is out.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
If this sells poorly, I wonder if EA will learn their lesson that they should stop this "play a week early" nonsense? Word of mouth in a week's time really does them no favors, especially when their games aren't in great condition. Didn't Battlefield V suffer the same fate of getting torn apart it's early week?

I seriously empathize with your post and especially the bolded part.

While not a looter style, my hopes are with Cyberpunk to be that world and game.
For games like Anthem or Destiny, I'm just wondering what the proper way is to set a foundation. I listened to a podcast last year from a big Fantasy writer (I feel bad I can't remember who it was), but I liked his idea that in a world with massive lore surrounding gods and magic, the best way to start is small. Keep your story focused and personal. Let the reader enjoy the mystery of the world, all the while feeling like they are part of it as the characters slowly, incidentally reveal said world through bits of dialogue. Games like Anthem seem to think the best way to bring you into a new world is to throw you into the deep end right off the bat. Then have characters go on long expositions explaining more and more when needed. Honestly, one of the strengths of something like Harry Potter is that it starts small, and slowly unravels the world and it's lore. I know books and video games aren't the same...but it is something I keep going back to.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
There are some 7 scores on .metacritic that might not be on Opencritic yet (I didn't check). If it gets enough 7s and 8s, especially after the big patch, The review score might land in a decent place...?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
who is Casey? Anthem was announced on 2013?
They announced they had a new IP in the works pretty early. I think just murmurs in 2013 but at E3 2014 they said it at E3 but then months later Casey left. When Aaryn Flynn had to leave after Andromeda Casey took his place as GM. Unfortunately I've also heard from a BioWare guy who was laid off in 2012 said that Casey Hudson might've left so Flynn took the blame for Andromeda, but he had very negative opinions about Casey in general so idk.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
If this sells poorly, I wonder if EA will learn their lesson that they should stop this "play a week early" nonsense? Word of mouth in a week's time really does them no favors, especially when their games aren't in great condition. Didn't Battlefield V suffer the same fate of getting torn apart that early week?

EA is obsessed with subscription service, but somethings gotta give. Here's the problem though: they have now signed up lots of people to Premiere (annual payment version) with the frontline game access being a major listed benefit. So they've painted themselves into a bit of a corner with customers. It's a terrible program from the dev Studio perspective.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Man the world and lore of Anthem are so boring compared to Warframe and Destiny. Everything feels uninspired.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
The launch date isn't arbitrary (I mean it is depending on how you look at it, but I get what you mean), but the idea that the game on week 1 is not ready to be reviewed but on week 2 it's totally ready is completely arbitrary.

You don't get to release a game, charge people for it, and then state they aren't allowed to judge it until a specific patch is out.

I completely agree with you, there should only be 1 launch date and with the day 1 patch at launch, but none of us can reverse time so I am just suggesting what they can do to soften the blow.

Ultimately individual outlets will have to decide what they want to do and there will be many that will just release a review base on the 15th build and some with the 22nd build with the day 1 patch.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

The good:
  • WHOOSH. BioWare has clearly nailed jetpack flight in an action game, and kudos for that
  • For all the talk of how unwieldy and difficult the Frostbite engine has been for some EA teams, BioWare seems to have finally nailed the visuals in Anthem's most beautiful zones
  • The BioWare pipeline for compelling plots and relatable characters really shines with this game's best characters
The bad:
  • Combat quickly becomes repetitive, thanks as much to limited javelin options as to boring enemy encounters
  • It's hard to savor some of the plot thanks to how it unfolds within missions
  • I still don't understand half of the power values listed in the game's menus, let alone how to successfully trigger combos with teammates
The ugly:
  • A slow-walking hub town as an awkward, constant tug away from the game's action half
  • Those momentum-killing "tomb" missions, seriously
Verdict: Wait until EA finishes the game, if that ever happens.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I entered in Ars to read some tech news, and I found their review

Anthem review: BioWare's sky-high gaming ambition crashes back to Earth
It's out, finally. But maybe it shouldn't be.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/
Yuuuup. All rings very correct and echoes all my own sentiments.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I completely agree with you, there should only be 1 launch date and with the day 1 patch at launch, but none of us can reverse time so I am just suggesting what they can do to soften the blow.

Ultimately individual outlets will have to decide what they want to do and there will be many that will just release a review base on the 15th build and some with the 22nd build with the day 1 patch.
My point is that EA shouldn't try to soften the blow since doing so comes with the implicit "do what we say or you'll worsen our relationship, which will hurt you", regardless of whether they actually would take action against sites or not.

Big companies need to have as little impact on review sites as possible, or else the reviews start to come into question.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I don't read reviews much, but this one really take it's time detailing out it's thoughts. That's a great review.

Man the world and lore of Anthem are so boring compared to Warframe and Destiny. Everything feels uninspired.
What is insane is that Destiny's method of filling you in on it's lore was god awful (load screens, go online, etc.) And yet it still managed to do it better than Anthem. I thiiiink the lore itself might be interesting. But the way it has been delivered to me so far makes me yawn.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
For games like Anthem or Destiny, I'm just wondering what the proper way is to set a foundation. I listened to a podcast last year from a big Fantasy writer (I feel bad I can't remember who it was), but I liked his idea that in a world with massive lore surrounding gods and magic, the best way to start is small. Keep your story focused and personal. Let the reader enjoy the mystery of the world, all the while feeling like they are part of it as the characters slowly, incidentally reveal said world through bits of dialogue. Games like Anthem seem to think the best way to bring you into a new world is to throw you into the deep end right off the bat. Then have characters go on long expositions explaining more and more when needed. Honestly, one of the strengths of something like Harry Potter is that it starts small, and slowly unravels the world and it's lore. I know books and video games aren't the same...but it is something I keep going back to.

It's tough too, nobody wants to listen to a long exposition by an NPC when the reason they went to that NPC in the first place was to craft a new piece of gear. It doesn't flow well and that's not what I'm looking for in that moment of time. What your asking for is tough and not what the mainstream player base wants unfortunately. World building through a character story works fantastic, but not when your game is predicated on a power fantasy of flying mech suits meant to be played co-op. Not sure players have the attention span to sit through a 10 hour ramp up to a game when all they want to do is shoot aliens with their buddies. It really needs to be a single player experience you can work through at your own pace a la the other BioWare games. There's so many cool Pop Sci-Fi series out there that would be perfect for a GaaS game (I read a ton) but they all start small like you say and build themselves up to something grander.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
My point is that EA shouldn't try to soften the blow since doing so comes with the implicit "do what we say or you'll worsen our relationship, which will hurt you", regardless of whether they actually would take action against sites or not.

Big companies need to have as little impact on review sites as possible, or else the reviews start to come into question.

Well I said "ask nicely" not "threaten" and I am not EA nor EA is actually doing what I suggest.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Not sure if this will be fixed with the day 8 patch but here's hoping. I think this game could be a lot of fun but it's an unplayable mess right now

It's day 1 patch. Not 8. You've been playing early access.

I'm not saying the patch will fix issues or make the game better, I don't know. But the game officially launches on 22nd and that's a fact.

You people are aware we had pre-release early access games before? And these cost money? For example, I payed $40 to play Dauntless in early access last year and that game still isn't out. This is nothing new, and the fact you payed money to play it early doesn't mean the game launched.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Also a good point, though Destiny 2 is somehow sitting at a a pretty 85% MC.
Holy crap how lol, that surprises me. Did they update it with forsaken of something - which is an 8.5 for me, base game is like a 7.5 maybe.

I'd give Anthem around a 7 right now, maybe a tad higher but haven't gotten to the end game yet, so that could change. About the same score I'd give destiny 1 at launch. I know I'll play it for a few weeks like those games and stop until there's a big content drop at some point like both destiny games. Let's hope those content drops are as good as taken king and forsaken, which improved those games drastically.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

There was zero threat in the email we got. In fact I am happy we got informed so I don't sound like a complete idiot on the 22 with a review full of issues that might not exist by then.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
As is the usual this gen. All style and little substance. It seems most the content/fixes will be added post lauch, as is the trend now. With how graphically intense games are now it's getting hard for devs to create great looking games with loads of content at launch in a reasonable amount of time. Unfortunately by the time the content rolls out I've moved on. First impressions are huge.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Does something feel off with the reviews being released?

There is no way that IGN, EuroGamer, PCGamer, etc... Don't have their reviews done by now. I feel like they were asked to hold off on posting them.

I reckon they don't want to be accused of reviewing the game too quick. I've played the game for 10 hours and think they should just post the reviews, the patch on Friday is going to be minor at best, not much is going to change and we know what the end game is all about.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Who else is hyped for Anthem: The Taken King?

Can't wait for the not-Fort-Tarsis hub.

What it needs is like an airship/javelin-carrier hub. Maybe at the start of the expac you unearth this ship, do some quests to get it flying, and then you can use it to travel to the jungle, or other biomes. To start freeplay you'd just jump off the carrier and dive (diving disguising the loading screen) into the open world.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

Think I'm good here. And honestly, I'm kind of relieved. Don't think I need a game I'm gonna be tethered to again the way I was with Destiny from 2014-2016.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. These premium early releases sure do throw a wrench in the review process. I can see why it's worth waiting for the "day 1" patches, and reviews in progress make sense for live games like these, but at the same time it's wild that this is almost treated as a last-minute closed beta.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Anthem is another case where Early Access is not a good selling point at all.

it frustrates the players with bugs, and it frustrates the review process because people are playing it a week+ early but um wait guys for the "Day 1 patch" that will improve everything.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to giving it a try, even though it looked very bland from what little I had seen since first being shown. Think I'll wait until it's had time to cook a bit longer

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It's day 1 patch. Not 8. You've been playing early access.

I'm not saying the patch will fix issues or make the game better, I don't know. But the game officially launches on 22nd and that's a fact.

You people are aware we had pre-release early access games before? And these cost money? For example, I payed $40 to play Dauntless in early access last year and that game still isn't out. This is nothing new, and the fact you payed money to play it early doesn't mean the game launched.

People use this reason to downplay the problems but this is exactly the reason they can keep pulling this kind of crap.
It's the final build and people are playing the full game, wether or not they call it early play or early access.