• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
What settings are you running it on and what resolution?

Right now I have it on High and I've been switching back between 3840x2160 and 2560x1440, and I prefer running PC games in 2560x1440 but anytime I try using that option in this game the screen goes Pink and washed out to high Hell. It's weird af. I don't have that issue with 3840x2160 but the game seriously has major frame rate issues at that res for me

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
This thread is full of people who never even intended to buy the game.

And so what? Even if this thread was full of people who never intended to buy the game, does it make their opinions or critiques any less valuable? Should a game only be critiqued by those who "intended to buy the game" and how do you even classify those people? If I remember correctly, many where excited for the game when the first trailer was shown a while ago. At that point in time, you could classify those interested as people who intended to purchase the game. Very weird stance and a very weird flex....

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No... follow what I actually wrote.

The precise part of their post I responded to was that the open world is crap. They were talking like this is an objective truth.

I said "plenty of people say that they love the open world"

Rex asked me to find literally one example (their words)

I found several.

That was the conversation thread, I fucking agree with their opinion that the world is empty. I was making it clear it's not objective like they were implying.

"eviscerated"

Wth, lol.
Thanks for the effort but I don't need your short version of something I read in it's entirety.

Rex asked you to find people who say it is what Destiny promised to be, which was your claim. (or rather that "it was the gist of it"). How about you don't misrepresent your own quotes for starters lol. You know damn well that's what they asked for, not "people having fun with Anthem's open world".

The world only having one biome is, for example, very much true, and you simply ignore that fact and tell others that's an opinion they have. The world being empty also isn't an opinion. It straight up is.

Feb 12, 2019
From my experience the early reviews I am reading are in line with the beta experience I had. Me and my brother jumped on and had a blast flying around and shooting stuff for a solid hour. Then he had to leave and I started exploring and doing the story solo and I just instantly felt bored. The gameplay is fun, but feels disconnected from the slow hub world (town) and the dull story. And while the gameplay is fun, it gets repetitive pretty fast. It feels kinda like the old Lost Planet games to me. Which were fun, but not something I would play for hours and hours like I did with Monster Hunter, Destiny or Division (Division 2! Wassup).

I don't know what happened at Bioware. I've never seen a developer at their level of success and acclaim do a 180* so quick. I tried my hardest to like Andromeda, and it was bad. This is appears to be another disappointment. I get that some people will like it but the fact that the story is lacking is a sign that this is not the Bioware I feel in love with when they made KOTOR. I miss them

astro

Oct 25, 2017
First of all the conversation started due to my response refuting the following statement made by another user:

In response I refuted this claim by summarizing all the ways in which the open world in Anthem is a massive step back from Destiny's open worlds:

You then chimed in with this in response to that refutation stating that my comments regarding the open world and it lacking in variety in setting and encounter design:

I replied asking you to show me where anyone says Anthem is what destiny promised it would be and restating that my observations were not opinions but actually statements of fact either they were wrong or right and asking you to refute my statements directly:

You then completely glossed over the entire second part of that response and pointed me to YOUTUBE COMMENTS to prove your point that people say it's the game Destiny promised it would be :

Even ignoring the fact you're citing YouTube comments as proof of "everyone in real life says" as far as I can see none of the YouTube comments say that and instead say things praising the gameplay or flying. I decided to restate the initial questions in my post to you that refused to respond to:

And then your response to those questions was this:

Again refusing to actually answer the questions and instead opting to minimize those observations by referring to ambiguous obvious chatter.

So no those questions have everything to do with my post and our conversation they are just clearly questions you don't want to answer and would rather dismiss or downplay stating they are either not the point or are irrelevant to everyone "outside the internet" despite them being the entire damn post of my original post. So stop trying to characterize me as the problem here when it is your attempts to reframe the narrative here away from the negative criticism of the game is clear as day.
No, this is what happened.

One person said "puts Destiny's open world to shame" - here

You told them it didn't. - here

I responded to you and said "everyone outside the internet I've spoken to says they love the open world" - here

You said "show me one person, literally anywhere" - here

I said "I can't show you the people who are offline... but here's some online" - here

you said "you didn't answer my question, none of my statements were opinions" - here ----- which was not my point, my point was OTHER PEOPLE think the open world is great, and no matter how many objective truths you think you have found that doesn't change that fact.

I AGREE with you, but that wasn't my point. My point, as lcealry written, was that plenty of other people do think the open world is good, and you shouting "objective fact" ad them won't change their minds.

Ie: it's opinion, not objective.

And this is literally shown with the breakdown you posted.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
And so what? Even if this thread was full of people who never intended to buy the game, does it make their opinions or critiques any less valuable? Should a game only be critiqued by those who "intended to buy the game" and how do you even classify those people? If I remember correctly, many where excited for the game when the first trailer was shown a while ago. At that point in time, you could classify those interested as people who intended to purchase the game. Very weird stance and a very weird flex....

BioWare defense force is hard to breakthrough.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Datto Impressions up, good watch

I trust Datto's opinions more than reviewers when it comes to these types of games. Game looks fun from his footage. If it had a bit more time in the oven, I think it could have been a really solid game. Still wouldn't get it, only have time to invest in Destiny for loot shooters.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, this is what happened.

One person said "puts Destiny's open world to shame" - here

You told them it didn't. - here

I responded to you and said "everyone outside the internet I've spoken to says they love the open world" - here

You said "show me one person, literally anywhere" - here

I said "I can't show you the people who are offline... but here's some online" - here

you said "you didn't answer my question, none of my statements were opinions" - here ----- which was not my point, my point was OTHER PEOPLE think the open world is great, and no matter how many objective truths you think you have found that doesn't change that fact.

I AGREE with you, but that wasn't my point. My point, as lcealry written, was that plenty of other people do think the open world is good, and you shouting "objective fact" ad them won't change their minds.

Ie: it's opinion, not objective.

And this is literally shown with the breakdown you posted.
Guys FYI this is pedantic and petty.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anybody really needs "high profile" reviews to be out to have a good understanding of what the current state of the game is. This thread is so big already because we have enough of an idea to discuss what's going on.

It's really a question of whether or you feel like spending $60 on the game AND live service or not. I think there's something appealing to gamers about enjoying the base gameplay, but staying tuned to the updates and improvements that happen over time. I think a lot of people are buying the game on day 1 and kinda into that, tbh.

Whereas a lot of people want the thing their buying to be immediately worth the $60 out of the gate.

Both views are valid, and I think a lot of people are just trying to get a feel for
1. How straight up broken is the game? and
2. Bugs aside, do *I* like the core gameplay?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the effort but I don't need your short version of something I read in it's entirety.

Rex asked you to find people who say it is what Destiny promised to be, which was your claim. (or rather that "it was the gist of it"). How about you don't misrepresent your own quotes for starters lol. You know damn well that's what they asked for, not "people having fun with Anthem's open world".

The world only having one biome is, for example, very much true, and you simply ignore that fact and tell others that's an opinion they have. The world being empty also isn't an opinion. It straight up is.

I AGREE the world is empty. I was responding to the idea that other people think it's good.

Rex asked me to find anyone saying it's doing Destiny better... I literally did

See the post above, it links here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puoNlqGdTXk

Third comment down
"It's like Destiny done right"

And all the other positive comments.

My point was opinion is obviously split, and while you, I, and Rex all think the open world is lacking there are loads of people who think it's not. Hell there are plenty of examples ITT of people saying otherwise, Rex literally began by telling someone who was stating heir opinion about the open world that they were wrong....

Guys FYI this is pedantic and petty.

Yes, it is, but I'm not going to be misrepresented and ganged up on by a bunch of people when my posts clearly didn't do what they're claiming.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
some-years-from-now-gee-whiz-where-we-going-papea-13935062.png

Press F to Fire the gun Pay Respects.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah echos my own feeling on the game. Glad I watched it didn't know about the GM lvl req thing. I would be the one getting pissed that I met the reqs but still was dieing easy. I'll stay with hard until I get to 400.
GM difficulties are said to be bugged, though. GM1 currently almost akin to what GM3 should be. source: posted in OT

Still, 42 pages without any high profile review out? Was this thread opened too soon?
I'd say no as anything that keeps the ea meme, rip bioware and similar trash elsewhere and out of the OT is doing great work.

EDIT: lol, literally the two posts right above mine before I hit post.

The writing is on the wall honestly.

This has 75 metacritic written all over it. And from the "A-team" Bioware to get such a "low" score (75 is decent, but for Bioware, its kinda bad) is kinda shocking.
75 would suggest it's going to get some 8s... this game isn't getting any 8s and I don't see it getting anywhere near 75. There's not that many outlets going to be putting a score on this one for some time yet, we've not got the "real" day 1 game yet with the jesus patch (lol) and from there it will take time to experience everything it has to offer to be able to pin a number on there.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This game is not scoring over 70, no way. Half the reivews won't even score it, and those that do won't buck the trend. The writing's on the wall.

Bioware had better give this game super fucking great support and fast, or it's going to fold.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

That depends entirely on the form and manner of the opinion. I don't have any issue with people posting about their disappointment in the game, but I think that poster was more referring to the underlying weird glee behind a lot of the "BOMBA RIP BIOWARE" posts, which the first few pages are full of. In that respect, I think it's fair to be annoyed at the manner in which uninterested people are choosing to represent themselves.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want this game to be good but everything I've seen and read is just.. meh.

I'll wait for a price drop and a few patches to iron out the kinks I think.

I really hope this doesn't negatively impact Bioware. I want more Mass Effect!

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I trust Datto's opinions more than reviewers when it comes to these types of games. Game looks fun from his footage. If it had a bit more time in the oven, I think it could have been a really solid game. Still wouldn't get it, only have time to invest in Destiny for loot shooters.

Yeah I was going to pass on anthem because of destiny. I didn't care for the last season of stuff (black armory), they still haven't said what in the next season that starts in a week or 2. Considering my fav stuff in destiny have been abandoned (strike play list, faction rally) and anthem seems to double downed on those type of things I figured it was a good game to try.

I'll prob still work my way to 700 next season, I'll always come back to destiny.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
That depends entirely on the form and manner of the opinion. I don't have any issue with people posting about their disappointment in the game, but I think that poster was more referring to the underlying weird glee behind a lot of the "BOMBA RIP BIOWARE" posts, which the first few pages are full of. In that respect, I think it's fair to be annoyed at the manner in which uninterested people are choosing to represent themselves.
Thank you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Where the hell are reviews? Are they holding them?
PS4 hasn't got access at all until the 22nd. That's where most reviews are usually.

X-box only has 10 hours, which is probably not enough to base a review on for most reviewers for a game like this.

PC is the only one with full access.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

Same here. Datto is probably one of the most knowledgeable GAAS content creators out there. He also wisely addresses in this video some of the more structural issues and lays off the less useful discussion of the bugs / technical issues, which are going to get fixed eventually.

I will say though, the way loading works, and the loadtimes being as long as they are, that needs to be addressed ASAP. The day one patch is addressing it, but if this game wants to get any audience, this patch needs to get loading right. Even the streamers who are liking this game can't get over the loading. Some of the load times are beyond brutal.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Where the hell are reviews? Are they holding them?

We received a mail todat outlining the content of the day 1 patch. My editor let me decide how we approach this and I decided to hold back our review until March the 1st to have a full week of gameplay with the many fixes in place, in order to give our readers the most accurate picture of what they would be spending their money on.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We received a mail todat outlining the content of the day 1 patch. My editor let me decide how we approach this and I decided to hold back our review until March the 1st to have a full week of gameplay with the many fixes in place, in order to give our readers the most accurate picture of what they would be spending their money on.
Which platform will you be reviewing on?

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Seems reasonable.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This game is not scoring over 70, no way. Half the reivews won't even score it, and those that do won't buck the trend. The writing's on the wall.

Bioware had better give this game super fucking great support and fast, or it's going to fold.
The next 2 months are going to be crazy for this game and the people working on it. I kinda hope it forces their hand a little - get the fixes in place enough to build a stable platform, and really fire out that content at a cadence this genre isn't used to seeing. It's going to be interesting to say the least, wouldn't miss being in the thick of it for anything.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's not Bioware though, it's EA.

Bioware are a very competent studio, this game looks like them doing the best with a less than ideal budget and/or dev time, same with Mass Effect.

It's simple, EA want the win but don't want to put in the work.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017

This is a good call

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The next 2 months are going to be crazy for this game and the people working on it. I kinda hope it forces their hand a little - get the fixes in place enough to build a stable platform, and really fire out that content at a cadence this genre isn't used to seeing. It's going to be interesting to say the least, wouldn't miss being in the thick of it for anything.
This is how I feel... I'm giving them two months MAX, then if things aren't moving well I'll cancel and wait for their TTK or whatever.

I really hope they can turn this around, the nature of their episodic game might play well over time... but they won't have much of that to prove it in.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Joke of thread. Should have wAited till after 22nd.

Guess that's what they get for stupid early launch bullshit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Bioware are a very competent studio, this game looks like them doing the best with a less than ideal budget and/or dev time, same with Mass Effect.

This has been disproved many times ITT and the OT I think, EA had very little to do with the way this game was handled according to people's claims. I've not looked into it myself, so take that with a grain of salt, but I have read a few articles that people linked that seemed to confirm this at a glance.

It seems this is almost all on BioWare.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
i think the vast majority of folks posting those sorts of things are doing it out of genuine concern or fear for the future of BioWare. Some people just feel the best way to deal with dread or disappointment is by making light of it. I don't think you'll find many (maybe a very small few) who are legitimately wishing and hoping for BioWare to collapse. I see these comments more as a condemnation of EA and an indication of folks genuine worry about what this game's reception might bring about.

Alternatively I think folks like yourself who are taking offense at these comments are doing so from a genuine place of concern and hurt about the studio too.

So yea what I conclude from all this is that regardless of their current output or state a LOT of folks still care deeply about BioWare for one reason or another and given the history of the studio and the titlestheyve put out in the past. They've covered a lot of different tastes and sunsets of gaming across their entire catalogue so it's a brand that many people have good memories from.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

They had a long time to make this game, and I'm sure EA invested a load of effort into it. There are only a handful of studios in the world making games this complex and with this scale. This comment is just pure nonsense.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This has been disproved many times ITT and the OT I think, EA had very little to do with the way this game was handled according to people's claims. I've not looked into it myself, so take that with a grain of salt, but I have read a few articles that people linked that seemed to confirm this at a glance.

Bollocks

Come on look at the signs, it's not a coincidence that pretty much all of EA's studios are underperforming in terms of putting out interesting and quality games, yet the one studio that had minimal input from EA made Apex Legends.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
BioWare don't always take the easiest path, they attempt things that maybe aren't in their favour, but with good intentions. EA like their studios to use frostbite. It's a spicy recipe!

The blame guessing game has no merit, really. It's basically a lot of people doing their best under tough conditions - hopefully some time soon we get a game that lives up to the BioWare name if not the lofty heights of what Dylan was first planned to be.

i think the vast majority of folks posting those sorts of things are doing it out of genuine concern or fear for the future of BioWare.
Nah, people post that shite 'cause they're immature, lack the ability to take part in worthwhile debate, or just like to get giddy riding bandwagons. Nobody posts a PapEA meme out of love and respect, if they're articulate and intelligent enough to care on any such level they simply put those thoughts into words.

Last edited:

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
I played this all day yesterday on my X and really enjoyed it. I'll be tempted to buy.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With all the games that could have been inspired and learned from those mistakes, Anthem was not successful. It is disappointing.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

This games has been in development for like 6 years. How can you tell me this games did not have enough development time or budget?

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019

No, they were a competent studio once. But so was Mythic Entertainment and numerous others before EA trashed them. Look at the people that made Bioware what it was, and look how many of those names you still see in the credit section on anything that's been made in the later years. All the people that made it what it was are gone.