• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through most of these reviews the praise for the game so centered almost entirely around gameplay mechanics with the remainder of the game getting a underwhelming token of approval. When I look at a BioWare game I don't want to hear how the actual story of the game is uninspired or a standard affair. BioWare should be Story focused and the lack of enthusiasm surrounding the story and characters comes across in a LOT of these reviews not just the one I quoted.

Tbh, for a loot'n'shoot game, good gameplay is a lot more important than the story that you go through, especially since it seems that you only need one character and the other mechs are basically leveled loadouts. The most important bits about the story will be the little window dressings you get at max level while hunting for more power.
Though I understand being disappointed if you were expecting something different.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
It's not competing with old BioWare games, it's competing with the likes of Destiny and The Division. If it's story is better, then they already have the advantage, even if it's not usual BioWare standard (though I don't hold BioWare's recent-ish story telling in high regard anyways).

I will always enjoy the GaaS gatekeeping though. Saying someone's part of the problem if they enjoy playing the same game and content is silly. Newsflash: There is no problem. GaaS is huge and the general public love it thus far. This place overall is a bubble when it comes to online gaming.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"At it's core anthem is a shared world shooter that doesn't take too many risks." Is not a good statement.

It needs to differentiate itself. I'm really hoping the scalibility of the content and later end game activities can really help set it apart. Destiny's greatest weakness is it's lack of meaningful progressiveness. You get better gear, but it's not actually to tackle increasingly difficulty scenarios and challenges. And more just to make what you're already doing easier.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Same story as basically every GaaS launch. It all depends on the post-launch content updates that makes or break a GaaS. If the gameplay is fun then thats all that matters to me at launch, more story and content will come.

If reviews are tepid at launch, wait for the inevitable "you wont believe how good Anthem is now a year later" videos and articles.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a game I can comfortably get a solid 20-30 hours out of, then move on. Sounds perfect. I don't need every game to last me all year, February alone is stacked.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It's not competing with old BioWare games, it's competing with the likes of Destiny and The Division. If it's story is better, then they already have the advantage, even if it's not usual BioWare standard (though I don't hold BioWare's recent-ish story telling in high regard anyways).

I will always enjoy the GaaS gatekeeping though. Saying someone's part of the problem if they enjoy playing the same game and content is silly. Newsflash: There is no problem. GaaS is huge and the general public love it thus far. This place overall is a bubble when it comes to online gaming.

People are expecting single player quality story and quests are gonna be disappointed i told that earlier.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the more recent footage, it seems more in line with Diablo and Warframe than Destiny.
That's a very very good thing. I just really hope the activities in game are married enough to keep it interesting. I really hope there's some mechanical depth to some missions though. From what I've played and seen. I'm a little concerned about that. That's one thing Destiny has really improved upon over time. Though their patrol zones are really still not fun to play in. It's just grind.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These have to be the most "meh" Previews I have read in a long time. Like.... Damn no one sounds enthusiastic at all.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The gameplay being good and enjoyable is infinitely more important that the story being "like in the old times" for the game this is.
The story is gonna be the smallest part of the playtime players of this kind of game needs to succeed anyway, so even if it ends up being "just" enjoyable, thats first of all more than most competitors managed and second completely irrelevant month 2/3 anyway, while gameplay, gunfeel and what some people refer to as "the grind" will be what this game lives or dies by.

Anthem is probably gonna end up like Assassins Creed post Origins.
Very successful and loved by the majority, with some part of the "old bioware" community constanty being toxic and angry because Bioware moved on to a different style of game and "left" them behind.(even though they still are making DQ4)

A studio is not forced to always cater to the same fanbase.
Nobody has to like the new style of game the studio might want to make, but being angry and toxic about what the studio wants to make/is making helps nobody and just makes the angry peoples life less enjoyable, as well as everybody around them.

If you dont like the new style, just move on. No need to try to ruin it for other people, or trying to shame people for liking it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These have to be the most "meh" Previews I have read in a long time. Like.... Damn no one sounds enthusiastic at all.
It only sounds a bit like what they offered the press, and what we saw from YouTubers, and what I experienced in the alpha. Was just very limited in terms of what you can do. The irony is it's like the people who were putting out Destiny reviews after only having played a few missions etc and giving it 9's and stuff. Because the end game content wasn't available yet. And they really hadn't dug into the meat and higher tier content even outside raids yet. I think what's happening is people are being more gaurded about their opinions comparatively because of the past, especially in regards to Destiny.

It's really hard to make a proper impression about a game where you have like an hour of hands on in a super easy press setting scenario. Especially given that it's a look based ARPG.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I do hate that it's continually compared to Destiny when the similarities are much closer to Warframe and ME Andromeda's multiplayer.

Yeah I was completely out on Anthem because I was burned by Destiny (3 times, stopped at d2 vanilla)

But seeing info in other threads and various little throwaway bits that its more of a PSO/Diablo setup (or warframe/ME Multiplayer) totally got my interest to turn around and now i'm actually quite interested and will be in, at least through EA Origin on PC.

I've got 2 friends also getting in on it, and the reason I gave them to give it a shot is "it's not destiny"

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds great and right in line with all the stuff I've watched. People who want Bioware to just keep doing the same thing they've been doing were never going to be happy.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
True but the community built up around their games have expectations based on their past releases and history. That history includes very story focused design. it Stands to reason most, like myself, will expect and/or want a strong story. If they want to go after an entirely new audience then that's fine but don't expect folks who enjoyed their games in the past to come along for the ride without voicing disapproval or disappointment.

Fair enough. I mean if you told me I am going to play a Bioware game without telling me anything else about it I would assume it would be a story heavy game too. With Anthem from the get go we know its a GaaS. You could build a decent story around a GaaS but it would never be close to other Bioware narrative experiences just because of the nature of the game.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
holy shit at the voice acting

This is worse than anything in Andromeda

So Andromeda had some pretty good voice acting?

But like seriously, you chose that scene with Owen in particular to point out bad voice acting? I can't fathom how someone can think that VO was awful. Maybe those NPC's in the IGN first stuff. But really? Owen (That male character)?

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
So Andromeda had some pretty good voice acting?

But like seriously, you chose that scene with Owen in particular to point out bad voice acting? I can't fathom how someone can think that VO was awful. Maybe those NPC's in the IGN first stuff. But really? Owen (That male character)?

That's because it's not, that's infinitely better voice acting than anything else in this same genre of game. Owen is probably the best acted npc that we've seen thus far, I really dig him.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"At it's core anthem is a shared world shooter that doesn't take too many risks." Is not a good statement.

It needs to differentiate itself. I'm really hoping the scalibility of the content and later end game activities can really help set it apart. Destiny's greatest weakness is it's lack of meaningful progressiveness. You get better gear, but it's not actually to tackle increasingly difficulty scenarios and challenges. And more just to make what you're already doing easier.
But it doesn't. If it's fun, has decent story, decent end game, decently interesting loot etc, it can stand on the shoulders of other games in the genre. Destiny has a bit of magic but it's often in spite of itself. It would be hard for BioWare to have a much more solid product at launch than Destiny 1/2 or the division.

Wether it materialises or not is another matter, but they have a decent chance. And from that point, you can just build upon it, such is that MO of this genre.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it's just me, but that actually made me look forward to the characters. Owen's voice acting, and animations in that clip you linked were great. It actually made me smile cause it was kinda funny, especially his thumbs up reaction.

The female npc on the other hand was pretty flat and amateurish sounding compared to Owen's lively and believable personality.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The reactions remind me of Destiny 1 at the same time before its release in that people fixate on one aspect that impresses them, in this case the traversal (for Destiny it was the shooting) while everything else seems to be passable or inviting of questions because of lack of time or access.

I think people should really temper their expectations and/or wait because we've had the launches and life cycles of Destiny, The Division and Destiny 2 to see how these games usually turn out. Understand what this game is based on the history of the genre. I've loved and spent a lot of time with all three but if it weren't for my video card coming with Anthem and my CPU coming with The Division 2, my plan was always to avoid getting disappointed a fourth and/or fifth time.

Last edited:

accx

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why people continually get hyped for the next big shiny game that looks exactly like the big shiny games that we've been playing for the past 5-10 years. At some point, consumers need to recognize that publishers are just cranking this stuff out and manufacturing hype in the most unorganic way.

If you like doing repetitive tasks ad nauseum in order to pull a slot lever to get better gear, maybe you have a problem.

Isn't life just a series of doing a bunch of repetitive tasks when you really think about it

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
As expected. I just wanted another looter shooter that isn't Destiny. So I'm cool with it. (Plus it's free with the new GPUs anyway). The gameplay is pretty fun

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know a single person buying this game. I'm expecting (and secretly hoping for) a huge disappointment for EA. Single player games are what we want now.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

As someone who has actually played this scene, I was actually impressed by the voice acting, specifically Owen in this scene. Am I crazy? This looked on par or better than everything I played in Horizon. It aint red dead, but it aint a 400m dollar production either.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Looking forward to trying this but games that can't be finished are unappealing when you have at least 50 games to start and finish.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
2 PC centric websites gave probably the best impressions. They basically confirmed my worries I had with this game. Game seems rather generic, dull and repetitive. I would probably get bored before game could get exciting.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've become more excited for the game but a lot of these previews are coming in really lukewarm. I hope the final game inspires a more positive reaction when its released.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

i mean, all bits so far point to a game that was born on a drawing board. EA also wanted a shared world looter shooter/on going money cash cow and they meticulously put this together as a result of marketing research and what is "in" these days.

so no, it doesn´t need to differentiate itself because it is very by the numbers so far and a product meant to satisfy investors and give the company millions of money. too much different stuff in there would be far too risky for such a project in todays climate.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, pretty much felt the same when I played it.

It's OK but that's all it really is. Maybe the story (and the way it gets told) gets better as you play? But everything seems pretty by the numbers.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every gameplay preview has been "Yep...this is a video ass video game here...checks all the boxes..."

Feels like the kind of game that was made because a bunch of suits wrote out popular things on a chalkboard. MULTIPLAYER. COLLECTIBLES. GRAPHICS. GUNS.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just have feeling that this will be another AAA Early Access game from big publisher dressed as GaaS game. It will be great game year or more after release for sure. At least story content will be free.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, seems like the game is going to be what we thought it would be. I was hoping there would be some secret revelation to elevate it beyond the basic template.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I don't know why people continually get hyped for the next big shiny game that looks exactly like the big shiny games that we've been playing for the past 5-10 years. At some point, consumers need to recognize that publishers are just cranking this stuff out and manufacturing hype in the most unorganic way.

If you like doing repetitive tasks ad nauseum in order to pull a slot lever to get better gear, maybe you have a problem.

Dude, it's just a video game. It's an entertainment device.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Competent sounds fine to me (as a foundation) for a gaas game that is probably going to change and grow over the next 6 months.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about Anthem. New Destiny content and The Division 2 is launching around the same time...

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So cool gameplay with meh story/quests.

Typical looter-shooter :P Good thing there's a demo!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is about solely text previews, but Giant Bomb has a ~30 minute video of Brad Shoemaker talking over his time with Anthem (PC). I just watched the whole thing and he seems optimistic about it overall, although had some issues as well. He compares the gameplay to Mass Effect: Andromeda and doesn't like the mission structured so far. Jeff Gerstmann was sitting in with Brad and was less taken by the game.

It covers regular gameplay, missions, story stuff, loot, abilities, and the hub. Pretty comprehensive, except only 2 of 4 javelins are shown IIRC.