• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think it's tough to have an all-rounder without it feeling average at everything. I would rather be able to specilize into what role I want. Back in the WoW days, a hybrid class never quite felt right but as soon as you specced into a focused tree, it all felt good.

I agree, but I know some people prefer it, sort of like a support character, e.g off tank healer etc.

I guess the other thing that makes things slightly more head scratchy, is that there aren't traditional roles in the game, which I guess is because it's a loot shooter, as opposed to an mmorpg?

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
In that context, what happens if the tasks vary, I.e. from combat at distance, to close combat?

In your opinion, would it be better to try and cover all angles through weapons + assault systems etc. I.e. try and make your javelin an allrounder?

I think it'll depend on your play style and the activity. So when I'm doing a stronghold with friends I will be in a more focused load out, like nearly all pure range, because I know my friends will have my back. But if I'm out in freeroam with randos I'll likely have a slightly more all around loadout.

I just like how classes generally work in most MMOs where you have range people like Mages or Hunters etc, Tanks and Melee dps up close, and some support in-between.

I don't like how it works in Destiny for example, where in raids you all pretty much have to switch to the same guns for every different encounter because those are the 'best'.

It would just be nice if my Colossus is always just running with an Autocannon and flamethrower and feeling all big and tanky an up close, rather than having to switch to a Sniper and hanging back. I want to feel unique in a group.

I agree, but I know some people prefer it, sort of like a support character, e.g off tank healer etc.

I guess the other thing that makes things slightly more head scratchy, is that there aren't traditional roles in the game, which I guess is because it's a loot shooter, as opposed to an mmorpg?

Yeah, and I think I'll make my Ranger really well rounded, it'll be good for when I'm playing with random people, or going into an area where I don't know what to expect.

I liked playing my Druid in WoW especially in vinilla, cause I could cover everything a little bit. If people want to spec that way then that's cool, it's nice to have options. Anthem does feel a lot more role based than Destiny and the Division, so I hope they lean a bit more into it.

Last edited:

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In that context, what happens if the tasks vary, I.e. from combat at distance, to close combat?

In your opinion, would it be better to try and cover all angles through weapons + assault systems etc. I.e. try and make your javelin an allrounder?

I think they want you to utilize your other javelins instead of relying on weapon loadouts. If you can just keep switching weapons on the fly for different encounters then your probably not switching javelins and getting the most out different strategies.

Of course you'll have those all around builds that can work, but I'd suspect you'd need to roll with at least 2 javelins to be comfortable with what the devs will throw at you.

It's the exact opposite of destiny where the weapons are the star of the show. Anthem wants the javelins themselves to be the centerpiece.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can't get over the fact they've straight up got Casey Hudson in-game lol.

DyzmicgUwAAkP2U.jpg

It's not him of course, but the resemblance is still hilarious.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think they want you to utilize your other javelins instead of relying on weapon loadouts. If you can just keep switching weapons on the fly for different encounters then your probably not switching javelins and getting the most out different strategies.

Of course you'll have those all around builds that can work, but I'd suspect you'd need to roll with at least 2 javelins to be comfortable with what the devs will throw at you.

It's the exact opposite of destiny where the weapons are the star of the show. Anthem wants the javelins themselves to be the centerpiece.

I meant in terms of strongholds and raids etc, when you're in the middle of the mission, and can't change javelins.

E.g., at one bit, you're up against an elite turret, and want it's attention focused on you, so that that someone else can get close to take it out. If I'm doing that, then I'll be using my sniper rifle and plasma stars at distance. Then when we get to spider-boss, I'd rather have my shotgun.

Or if you know there's a chokepoint, where you're pinned down, and turrets are waiting for you to go into the air etc. Ideally, if there aren't any traditional roles, it's better to be able to adapt to the threat and act accordingly imo.

Regarding changing javelins etc, imo, I believe that most people will main one javelin, and maybe mess around with the rest. I could be wrong.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I meant in terms of strongholds and raids etc, when you're in the middle of the mission, and can't change javelins.

E.g., at one bit, you're up against an elite turret, and want it's attention focused on you, so that that someone else can get close to take it out. If I'm doing that, then I'll be using my sniper rifle and plasma stars at distance. Then when we get to spider-boss, I'd rather have my shotgun.

Or if you know there's a chokepoint, where you're pinned down, and turrets are waiting for you to go into the air etc. Ideally, if there aren't any traditional roles, it's better to be able to adapt to the threat and act accordingly imo.

Regarding changing javelins etc, imo, I believe that most people will main one javelin, and maybe mess around with the rest. I could be wrong.

There isn't tradition roles, but they do seem a lot more clear cut than in the other lootershooters. Your not gonna have a Storm tanking, or an Interceptor out at range, it just doesn't make sense ability wise.

So on your Interceptor (that's what has plasma stars right?), Maybe you'll have to let your team snipe stuff instead, or you can find a middle ground on your load out, and be decent and range and close up, but not be amazing at either. I like that there is a choice, and you have to stick to it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
think devastator ammo capacity is at 5, while deadeye was like at 12.
i kinda forgot how much dmg it does to tyrant before the side weakpoint got blown off but when it was, devastator was doing ~9.5k ea hit while dead eye was doing ~2.7k (dont remeber correctly) could be in the low 3k range too.

No way. The blue, level 19 (I think, even though the Javelin cap was 15) Devastator I had was doing 11,500 on the weak points, and my blue Deadeye was hitting for 8,000.

Here's someone at level 11 using Deadeye and hitting for 5K.

Last edited:

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

I just look at it like jobs from FF, each javelin serves a specific purpose instead of switching on the fly, you play your role and play it well.

Team composition and strategy is really going to impact play instead of specific weapons. Don't think Destiny, think traditional mmo and it makes more sense. And I agree, I'll mostly keep to one javelin and maybe have a backup depending on how the team is filled out since i'll be playing with randoms mostly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am still getting amazed at the customization. They should do a website or standalone program to play with.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Does anybody know when the official review embargo is lifted ? or will it will be a free for all once the EA Origins subscribers get it (15th Feb onward) ?

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
No way. The blue, level 19 (I think, even though the Javelin cap was 15) Devastator I had was doing 11,500 on the weak points, and my blue Deadeye was hitting for 8,000.
think i was using a powerlv 17 of deadeye and 15 for devastator. havent tried the 19s when i got them.

need to check my vods, but think i only used the blue deadeye at the end and not sure what it the pl 19 or 17 version.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't tradition roles, but they do seem a lot more clear cut than in the other lootershooters. Your not gonna have a Storm tanking, or an Interceptor out at range, it just doesn't make sense ability wise.

So on your Interceptor (that's what has plasma stars right?), Maybe you'll have to let your team snipe stuff instead, or you can find a middle ground on your load out, and be decent and range and close up, but not be amazing at either. I like that there is a choice, and you have to stick to it.

Lol, I like doing everything myself :p
I am seriously considering a jack of all trades to begin with.

I just look at it like jobs from FF, each javelin serves a specific purpose instead of switching on the fly, you play your role and play it well.

Yeah, I guess.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
OK, how do you follow these on twitter? I have no fucking idea where I'm supposed to be looking for the actual answers being provided by Bioware.

EDIT: Wait, is it all from this account?

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I foolishly thought I would get them from checking the main Anthem account or the hashtag they're saying to use.
Most people just answered to the AMAAAA posting and put no tags in. It's a bit easier for them to omit them as well. I bet there will be collections about all the new answers soon, if you need it in a more convenient layout.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with their reasoning here and really hope they find a good solution - however improving AFK timers isn't going to help with people being dicks.

EDIT: Also:

D:

EDIT2:

As long as god (read: end game) rolls are only available at max level this shouldn't be a problem, otherwise it would be nice to have some kind of infusion functionality.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

So people absolutely will be able to run up to the first chest in the strongholds and exit, rinse and repeat?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

Did Ben forget about Artinia's Gambit? The Masterwork LMG we saw in the Gameplay Series video which has the property of "When reloading, detonates a Combo explosion in the immediate area." That's atleast one weapon which can combo - but it does seem what he's saying is that even the weapons which gain elemental effects don't prime, they just inflict the status effect linked to that element.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Did Ben forget about Artinia's Gambit? The Masterwork LMG we saw in the Gameplay Series video which has the property of "When reloading, detonates a Combo explosion in the immediate area." That's atleast one weapon which can combo - but it does seem what he's saying is that even the weapons which gain elemental effects don't prime, they just inflict the status effect linked to that element.

That weapon doesn't combo or inflict elemental status via ammo so I don't think it counts :P

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Still pissed they're doing this premiere headstart nonsense, but I guess I'm part of the problem as I paid the bribe to play Battlefield V early (I was a mere standard edition peasant). I won't do the same with Anthem though, felt dirty as hell last time.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Those three accounts are answering different questions by the way, so you should trawl through all of them (I'm not going to compile all of the answers!).

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Still pissed they're doing this premiere headstart nonsense, but I guess I'm part of the problem as I paid the bribe to play Battlefield V early (I was a mere standard edition peasant). I won't do the same with Anthem though, felt dirty as hell last time.

Don't sub just for early access. Sub for good games!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't sub just for early access. Sub for good games!

Honestly it's a good deal if you're interested in what they offer but I'm not as I've finished all the games I'm interested in, so every time there's a big EA release I have to decide if I want to pay the bribe or not, for BFV I did as I was super hyped going in, but Anthem is more of a gamble for me so I don't want to spend the extra cash (I got a cracking deal on a code from an ERA member).

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I had no idea, but I hadn't actually been paying attention until pretty much the open demo hit.
Hopefully it was play a mission or something, haha.

Honestly it's a good deal if you're interested in what they offer but I'm not as I've finished all the games I'm interested in, so every time there's a big EA release I have to decide if I want to pay the bribe or not, for BFV I did as I was super hyped going in, but Anthem is more of a gamble for me so I don't want to spend the extra cash (I got a cracking deal on a code from an ERA member).

Makes sense. Lots to play! I just have EA access all the time, its cheap, and I like have options of new stuff to play.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a ballache embedding too many media items in a post, some text from Mark Darrah doing the AMA:
  • We have melee weapons. As to swappable ones, not at launch
  • No PvP at launch
  • Not at launch. We do really want to add this (thruster colours)
  • Not at launch but it is widely requested (photo mode)
  • No companion app at launch
  • Yes. Through the vault (mass salvage option)
  • Loot is biased towards the Javelin you are using
  • We have focused our personalization efforts on the Javelin. For the pilot, you will pick a pre-generated head from a list
  • Dynamic time of day, yes
  • You can go straight to the social hub (from the end of an expedition)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Because it's a ballache embedding too many media items in a post, some text from Mark Darrah doing the AMA:
  • We have melee weapons. As to swappable ones, not at launch
  • No PvP at launch
  • Not at launch. We do really want to add this (thruster colours)
  • Not at launch but it is widely requested (photo mode)
  • No companion app at launch
  • Yes. Through the vault (mass salvage option)
  • Loot is biased towards the Javelin you are using
  • We have focused our personalization efforts on the Javelin. For the pilot, you will pick a pre-generated head from a list
  • Dynamic time of day, yes
  • You can go straight to the social hub (from the end of an expedition)

lol, the game has definitely more severe problems than "thruster colours"...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was interesting that they specifically said "no PvP at launch" because I thought PvP was off the table completely. I'm not a fan of PvP in general but I'd be happy enough with an arena type setup where it could be balanced independently of the solo/co-op content.

lol, the game has definitely more severe problems than "thruster colours"...
Yes, but an awful lot of the questions were based around cosmetics (and photo mode) so we know the demand is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.