• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
DyvmJ58UUAA-kXR.jpg:large

Oh ho ho oh it's on!
Fantastic. Can't wait.

You people are monsters...

I may or may not have killed them every time i played stronghold, which was the only thing i did both beta weekends.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is this 100% confirmed? I've seen masterwork gear with properties drop from endgame activities in the YouTube videos of Anthem recently but I haven't seen a weapon with bonus properties drop from loot - so they could be craft only.
Not really. I only remember it vaguely from the dev stream in December. Maybe masterwork gears do drop from enemies too.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
no one is worried about the enemy balance?...when playing both demos it seems that playing as Storm gives you a huge advantage...hovering in the air most enemies (even the Ash Titan) can't seem to reach you...they need to address this in the main game otherwise the balance is out of whack

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
no one is worried about the enemy balance?...when playing both demos it seems that playing as Storm gives you a huge advantage...hovering in the air most enemies (even the Ash Titan) can't seem to reach you...they need to address this in the main game otherwise the balance is out of whack
they already said they're rebalancing things

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Not especially. Once the Colossus gets the needed adjustments, coupled with the already implemented fixes for the Interceptor (as well as other things with the class they are still considering) the Storm will likely be one of the best, if not best classes for solo. But that's it. In group play, it's likely going to end up being around the same risk/reward as the other classes, especially when it comes to single target priorities.

I won't be surprised if in higher difficulties that the Storm just becomes more of a debuffer/primer to set up the "real" damage that the other classes bring. If Bioware actually balances the game, the Storm isn't going to have too much of an advantage over any of the other three classes except maybe the Ranger when it comes to survivability. Much of it has to do with the class specific inscriptions though. Also, it's hard to say since enemy variety is so lacking right now, but there should be fights where it's harder for a class and vice versa. That actually encourages a more balanced group anyway.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Not worried in general but yeah Ash Titans were a joke as a Storm.

In the Stronghold there were like a million snipers/turrets waiting for me to hover as a Storm :(

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not especially. Once the Colossus gets the needed adjustments, coupled with the already implemented fixes for the Interceptor (as well as other things with the class they are still considering) the Storm will likely be one of the best, if not best classes for solo. But that's it. In group play, it's likely going to end up being around the same risk/reward as the other classes, especially when it comes to single target priorities. I won't be surprised if in higher difficulties that the Storm just becomes more of a debuffer/primer to set up the "real" damage that the other classes bring. If Bioware actually balances the game, the Storm isn't going to have too much of an advantage over any of the other three classes except maybe the Ranger when it comes to survivability. Much of it has to do with the class specific inscriptions though.

I don't understand why Storm would be great for solo but not in a group?...if anything the advantages would be greater playing in a group...if an enemy (especially a boss) doesn't have the ability to hit Storm while high in the air then it will be a huge advantage whether playing solo or in a group

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Everyone's just using the still image of the Roadmap so for my video I decided to animate it a little bit:

Time to catch up on some other news and updates regarding masterworks in the game now before I hit the hay.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not worried in general but yeah Ash Titans were a joke as a Storm.

In the Stronghold there were like a million snipers/turrets waiting for me to hover as a Storm :(

yeah in the early Stronghold levels the enemies could easily hit me in the air but that final spider boss could not touch me while in the air...was too easy killing that Spider as Storm

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Storm would be great for solo but not in a group?...if anything the advantages would be greater playing in a group...if an enemy (especially a boss) doesn't have the ability to hit Storm while high in the air then it will be a huge advantage whether playing solo or in a group

You won't be soloing Strongholds (or at least that wasn't even an option yet) and most everything in Freeplay that was seen in the demo was a joke and just trash enemies anyway. The only thing that wasn't was the titan they released near the end. AFAIK you will be able to solo (private, no additional players in the same world) missions at least. No clue about Freeplay. While solo on missions, the enemy health and damage is a lot less.

I didn't get a chance to try the Intereceptor or Colossus, but the killing speed of the Storm seemed actually quite shitty on non primed targets on higher than Normal difficulty without using guns. Frozen Shards (or whatever it was called) is a great debuffing ability since it primes and prevents enemies from attacking, but the damage it deals is pretty piss. The Storm wasn't doing much outside of detonations and ultimates. Going up against shielded enemies was even worse, because I had to waste my detonator to strip the shields, or just shoot a gun for a few seconds.

Sustained/risk free damage is great, but it's more of a hindrance if you have a relatively short time to kill something.

edit: This was especially obvious to me on the Tyrant fight. Aside from clearing out the trash in between boss phases, the Storm offered the least damage when not using an ultimate. Using a sniper rifle on the boss' weak points did more damage than any of my abilities by far, and the only class that seemed like it was having a hard time was the Interceptor. There were also perch points where the Colossus and Ranger could just sit in the middle of the room and not get hit by the boss either while attacking it from range.

Who knows though, maybe a team of four Storms will be "optimal" at some point. Two for stripping shields and two for locking down enemies, while all can detonate from the air. I just can't see it working out that way in the end, especially since both the Ranger and Interceptor offered way more single-target damage, and the Colossus with the flamethrower/lighting coil seemed to deal more overall AoE damage.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It solves one of the biggest problems of battle royal games, or anything using squads – few people use a headset (and the ones that do shouldn't). Games like Sea of Thieves or Overwatch have used menus full of emotes and dialogue in the past but all that's ever really achieved is to enable player communication at each other, not with. Apex's genius is that you don't pick phrases from a list to get your message across, you point at something in the world, say 'that' and let the game worry about telling people what you mean.

Because this communication is built on context rather than content, three complete strangers can drop into a match and coordinate their plans beautifully without having to – grits teeth – actually speak to each other. The final touch of genius to Apex Legend's Ping system is that it keeps it all in character – the various stars of the game engaging in a reactive call and response that plays out more like a scripted single player experience than a team of multiplayer characters shouting "I'm under fire... From the. <West.>"
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-apex...-the-horror-of-playing-with-strangers-online/

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017

Pointing at an enemy? Shows/highlights that enemy for your teammates, calls out a character voice about it too
Pointing at a drop? Calls out whatever that item is so others know, and highlights it with a waypoint.
Pointing at a destination? Adds a waypoint to that destination. Others can aim at it and ping it to say "okay"
Pointing at an objective/interactive item? Adds a waypoint to it/makes it glow, does a voice callout to say "we should do this/go here/ look at this"

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
Pointing at an enemy? Shows/highlights that enemy for your teammates, calls out a character voice about it too
Pointing at a drop? Calls out whatever that item is so others know, and highlights it with a waypoint.
Pointing at a destination? Adds a waypoint to that destination. Others can aim at it and ping it to say "okay"
Pointing at an objective/interactive item? Adds a waypoint to it/makes it glow, does a voice callout to say "we should do this/go here/ look at this"

all that and more...

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

All it takes is an effect such as fire or the electrical build-up that overheats your javelin and you'll fall from the sky and be left very fragile and vulnerable on the ground with your comparatively puny shields. I can see more of this going forward to make the Storm less OP.

I didn't get a chance to try the Intereceptor or Colossus, but the killing speed of the Storm seemed actually quite shitty on non primed targets on higher than Normal difficulty without using guns. Frozen Shards (or whatever it was called) is a great debuffing ability since it primes and prevents enemies from attacking, but the damage it deals is pretty piss. The Storm wasn't doing much outside of detonations and ultimates. Going up against shielded enemies was even worse, because I had to waste my detonator to strip the shields, or just shoot a gun for a few seconds.

Sustained/risk free damage is great, but it's more of a hindrance if you have a relatively short time to kill something.

Storm's combo is the weakest of the 4 javelins available, especially against tougher opponents - that's one major drawback from the class that a good few people have overlooked so far.

AoE spread is sorta OK if there's a mob around the target, but doesn't help directly take that target out like Ranger's direct crit damage and Colossus' AoE explosion. It might be nice making your own combos as Storm when you're out in freeplay taking out the trash, but maybe for harder and more coordinated play it'll be better to have storm spamming primers only and letting those other two classes detonate for better overall dps.

Using a sniper rifle on the boss' weak points did more damage than any of my abilities by far, and the only class that seemed like it was having a hard time was the Interceptor.
Yeah, snipers were broken in that build, we can't expect to see Devastator doing that kind of damage when we play for real. Was fun to experience the brokenness at least with things that boosted that even further.

Re-titled the thread
Nice, we need a general discussion thread to take us through to next week, was hoping this one wouldn't get locked.

Last edited:

accx

Oct 28, 2017
My most requested feature is not having 4+ keys for going in and out of menus + accepting/picking up things.
I've said it before. Rebinding the default key (F) had me still have to use F (in expedition selection, loot screen), my rebound button (hopping into javelin, anything inside expeditions, talking to npcs), ESC (anywhere it was inconvenient, like ME:A), R (just for forge) and ENTER (again anywhere it was inconvenient).

I've been playing ME:A for the first time recently and i can see why people were making that comparison in the early days of anthem.
Fuck, in ME:A i can press M to bring up the map but i have to press ESC twice to get out of it. fuck off.

EDIT:
Honestly, if this is still in the final build i sincerely hope they won't ban AHK-scripts. Can't be pressing a billion keys just to get out of menus when farming.
Oh yeah, and requiring double clicking in menus. bleh

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way to play the game on PS4 on the 15th is there?

Was only able to play a fairly limited amount across both weekends but I really enjoyed it overall, can't wait to jump back in.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
We can delete the demo, right? There's no reason to keep it?
Yep, you can delete the demo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way to play the game on PS4 on the 15th is there?

Was only able to play a fairly limited amount across both weekends but I really enjoyed it overall, can't wait to jump back in.

Nope!
Preorders on any platform gets access @ 22th
Xbox gets (10h) via EA Access @ 15th
PC (10h) via Origin Basic @15th
or
PC (Unlimited) via Origin Premier @15th.

EDIT:
In other terms, only subscriptions gets access the 15th. Sony didn't want EA Access on their platform. So ps4 no bueno.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All it takes is an effect such as fire or the electrical build-up that overheats your javelin and you'll fall from the sky and be left very fragile and vulnerable on the ground with your comparatively puny shields. I can see more of this going forward to make the Storm less OP.

Storm's combo is the weakest of the 4 javelins available, especially against tougher opponents - that's one major drawback from the class that a good few people have overlooked so far.

AoE spread is sorta OK if there's a mob around the target, but doesn't help directly take that target out like Ranger's direct crit damage and Colossus' AoE explosion. It might be nice making your own combos as Storm when you're out in freeplay taking out the trash, but maybe for harder and more coordinated play it'll be better to have storm spamming primers only and letting those other two classes detonate for better overall dps.

Yeah, snipers were broken in that build, we can't expect to see Devastator doing that kind of damage when we play for real. Was fun to experience the brokenness at least with things that boosted that even further.

Nice, we need a general discussion thread to take us through to next week, was hoping this one wouldn't get locked.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

you just need to keep track of your energy meter (or whatever it's called)...it's easy to do...when you see it getting low then you land on the ground for literally 1 or 2 seconds and go right back up in the air...or you can also fly really high up in the air, do a nosedive to the ground and pull up again which also recharges your energy...you literally barely have to be on the ground once you master Storm's mechanics

as far as Storm's abilities...I was using level 19 Glacial Spear and Ice Storm as my primer/detonator and the damage output was fine...combine that with a powerful sniper rifle and some good consumables and components and I didn't have an issue in the demo...the early parts of the Stronghold with dozens of enemies sniping from all around was a bit annoying but you just need to move to a good spot with cover

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
you just need to keep track of your energy meter (or whatever it's called)...it's easy to do...when you see it getting low then you land on the ground for literally 1 or 2 seconds and go right back up in the air...or you can also fly really high up in the air, do a nosedive to the ground and pull up again which also recharges your energy...you literally barely have to be on the ground once you master Storm's mechanics

Which is why I said to expect plenty of situations where the enemies will actively work against that, because otherwise it's all floaty floaty raining death and living carefree. Like I can't imagine future Strongholds giving Storm such an easy ride as the demo's did at the boss. They'll have to implement elemental effects that simply fuck your shields up regularly or find some other method of forcing you into the thick of the action.

as far as Storm's abilities...I was using level 19 Glacial Spear and Ice Storm as my primer/detonator and the damage output was fine...combine that with a powerful sniper rifle and some good consumables and components and I didn't have an issue in the demo...the early parts of the Stronghold with dozens of enemies sniping from all around was a bit annoying but you just need to move to a good spot with cover

Well of course it was fine, nobody had an issue bar the idiots who unlocked it and then continued to run & gun & hide behind rocks. it's the easiest and most OP class to play in the demo when you play it correctly. I don't think you read my post at all the way it was intended. Storm is OP as fuck and easy mode.

What I'm saying is in regards to this "my primer/detonator and the damage output was fine" - Storm's detonating is weak vs the others, and it's obvious there are plenty of people who thing all combos just do more damage instead of the effect being unique to each class. I'm saying I can see myself playing Storm priming for Colossus and Ranger as their combos do direct damage to the target (crit & AoE boombang) vs Storm farting out a bit more ice to the crap that surrounds it. Can just see that being far more effective as part of the team taking down the spongier targets that the tougher content is going to offer.

Even if some shop breaks street day early, there's little reason to assume they turn on the servers for PS4 clients before the 22nd. We will survive this! :D
If there's no ps4 review copies going out, then yep that might be the case. Shit, never even considered that, was expecting a day or two early with a physical copy on the way.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I'm saying is in regards to this "my primer/detonator and the damage output was fine" - Storm's detonating is weak vs the others, and it's obvious there are plenty of people who thing all combos just do more damage instead of the effect being unique to each class. I'm saying I can see myself playing Storm priming for Colossus and Ranger as their combos do direct damage to the target (crit & AoE boombang) vs Storm farting out a bit more ice to the crap that surrounds it. Can just see that being far more effective as part of the team taking down the spongier targets that the tougher content is going to offer.

that's how you're supposed to play it as a team isn't it?...set up another player to detonate who will cause more overall damage...so Storm and Interceptor will mainly be used to set up Colossus/Hunter...Storm can be used to clear out lesser mobs

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't actually use Devastator aside from testing it out briefly. It was nice on trash packs, but it didn't have enough ammo overall, and after finding out how it was bugged, I stopped bothering with it since it was going to get changed anyway. I used Deadeye, which still did a massive amount on the boss. "DPS" wise, it was also better against the boss than the Devastator. Two or three hits in the same time it took to get a fully charged shot.

I don't know how easy that would actually be to do. In the Stronghold there was that "remain on the platform" nonsense, and if you were not blasting the glowing energy orb things as soon as they spawned, they would zap you into overheating every time. You could not just stay near the platform on the Storm and hover. You were mostly grounded for that portion.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the game unlocks at midnight on the Thursday night? I have Thursday, Friday and Monday off so I'm covered but it'll be nice to stay up late and get a few hours in on the Thursday before bed.

They'll have to implement elemental effects that simply fuck your shields up regularly or find some other method of forcing you into the thick of the action.
That boss had a ranged web attack that grounds you, so maybe just having that target all players regardless of distance might work.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I know that you can't access loot until you get back to base, so no changing weapons on the fly, but I was thinking that a good compromise imo, would be that you could get to change to a second loadout, if you wanted , when not in a battle.
Sort of like WoW's dual skill tree.

What do people think?

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know that you can't access loot until you get back to base, so no changing weapons on the fly, but I was thinking that a good compromise imo, would be that you could get to change to a second loadout, if you wanted , when not in a battle.

What do people think?

Sounds kinda great to me. First time through the content we're not going to know what kind of loadouts are necessary/best for certain missions/strongholds and it would be kinda cool to switch over to a different build in order to help better with a particular fight without having to restart the entire thing if you get hard stuck against a difficult section.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

What do people think?
I think they'll revisit this in the future (at least to determine if changes are needed), but I have to say I like the idea of needing to think about what I want up front and then make the best of it out there if it presents challenges. It seems more realistic (not that realism is the goal in general) to be carrying two weapons only if there's no in-universe explanation for being able to carry a mountain of gear (or to somehow teleport those items to you out in the field).

Perhaps you could call some kind of supply drop (if the area allows it, so you'd need to be in open air) to allow you to change loadout, and maybe you'd need to defend the drop too. That provides a level of realism and makes it enough of a consideration that you still have that upfront thought about what the right loadout is for the task you're attempting.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds kinda great to me. First time through the content we're not going to know what kind of loadouts are necessary/best for certain missions/strongholds and it would be kinda cool to switch over to a different build in order to help better with a particular fight without having to restart the entire thing if you get hard stuck against a difficult section.

That's what I was thinking. Sometimes, If I know that I'm going to be shooting from distance, I equip my sniper rifle and assault rifle. But, if I'm going to be spending most of the time in melee range, I'd want my shotgun + assault.
Same thing with the abilities/gear I use.

E.g. Tyrant's mine: first few enemie spawns, I'll use sniper, but with spider-boss, I'm practically always in melee range or close. For me, the sniper rifle is then useless.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think if the open map is going to let us start activities, we'll need to be able to switch loadouts, but nothing more than that, no fiddling with individual pieces, it'll ruin the flow.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I didn't actually use Devastator aside from testing it out briefly. It was nice on trash packs, but it didn't have enough ammo overall, and after finding out how it was bugged, I stopped bothering with it since it was going to get changed anyway. I used Deadeye, which still did a massive amount on the boss. "DPS" wise, it was also better against the boss than the Devastator. Two or three hits in the same time it took to get a fully charged shot.

I don't know how easy that would actually be to do. In the Stronghold there was that "remain on the platform" nonsense, and if you were not blasting the glowing energy orb things as soon as they spawned, they would zap you into overheating every time. You could not just stay near the platform on the Storm and hover. You were mostly grounded for that portion.
think devastator ammo capacity is at 5, while deadeye was like at 12.
i kinda forgot how much dmg it does to tyrant before the side weakpoint got blown off but when it was, devastator was doing ~9.5k ea hit while dead eye was doing ~2.7k (dont remeber correctly) could be in the low 3k range too.

as for storm, the ice shard is far the best abilitiy on the focus slot. the ice comes off cd quick enough that you can reuse it almost within 1 sec of cd.
as for blast slot, i find the the electric aoe ability (forgot whats it call, its like a lighting bolt atk) is best. i know theres a fire aoe that does more dmg per cd since you get like 5 fire blast capacity per cd but it cant combo like the electric one. combo feeds into ultimate quickly thats its quite nice to use often. i do find the electric atk can take out enmy's shield down to 10% enough for you to ice shard or just shoot their remaining shield off then you can ice shard to freeze them. and thats in hard mode.
if your electric ability is on cd and you froze an enemy, you can just do an air melee which looks like a superman landing slam that does quite good dmg and it combos too.
storm is definitely my fav javelin

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you could call some kind of supply drop (if the area allows it, so you'd need to be in open air) to allow you to change loadout, and maybe you'd need to defend the drop too. That provides a level of realism and makes it enough of a consideration that you still have that upfront thought about what the right loadout is for the task you're attempting.

I do like this idea. I think that maybe if they limit it to one supply drop per stronghold, just before you encounter the final boss, that could also work.

My only concern with defending the drop would be, that if you're in a team, and only you call in a supply drop, the enemies would still spawn based on the numberbor players, which might not be seen as fair etc, to the rest of the team?

I think if the open map is going to let us start activities, we'll need to be able to switch loadouts, but nothing more than that, no fiddling with individual pieces, it'll ruin the flow.

You mean keep loot inaccessible until you get back to base? If so then I agree.

If you mean that we're stuck with whatever constituted the loadout, e.g. can't amend the loadout until we're back at base, then I agree with that too.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like how you are locked into loadouts. It makes everyone's setup feel more personal, and task specific.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

What do people think?
I think that's a good plan for the future. Being able to equip an offensive build or a defensive one might be a godsend for the GM+ dungeons etc.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like how you are locked into loadouts. It makes everyone's setup feel more personal, and task specific.

In that context, what happens if the tasks vary, I.e. from combat at distance, to close combat?

In your opinion, would it be better to try and cover all angles through weapons + assault systems etc. I.e. try and make your javelin an allrounder?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In that context, what happens if the tasks vary, I.e. from combat at distance, to close combat?

In your opinion, would it be better to try and cover all angles through weapons + assault systems etc. I.e. try and make your char an allrounder?
Personally I think it's tough to have an all-rounder without it feeling average at everything. I would rather be able to specilize into what role I want. Back in the WoW days, a hybrid class never quite felt right but as soon as you specced into a focused tree, it all felt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.