• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Is there some trick to salvaging items? I keep getting "vault almost full" warnings, but I can only salvage one item at a time and each time it takes three seconds or so. Marking as junk doesn't seem to save any time at all, either. I thought I read earlier in the thread that this was improved but it seems just as slow as before. How is everyone in end-game not running into this constantly? Spending 10 minutes clearing out my vault every so often will probably be the thing that gets me to quit.

EDIT: Wait, components don't count against your vault limit? Huh?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
difficulty curve?...you seriously think that's a bug?...you do realize you can change the difficulty right?...I finished all the Main Missions Solo on Normal difficulty...it was pretty much a cakewalk with the right gear and weapons...I like that GrandMaster is brutally difficult...that's what a game like this should be...not a cakewalk to get all the best Legendary gear and weapons...I played on PC and I'm guessing most of those issues you mentioned are FAR less severe on PC then consoles...if it's a major deal on consoles then I agree it needs to be fixed but it's not a universal problem across all platforms

Yes, the difficulty curve. Going from GM1 to GM2, for example, is all kinds of whack. For a long time you will end up with one faceroll tier and one hard as balls tier, there is no middle ground. So you either farm the boring GM1 tier over and over again until you get lucky with the rng gods or you bang your head against the wall in GM2 hoping for better drops that never come and take much longer time in the process.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yeah, the last 2 legendaries I looted got much worse stats than my MW ones, and as they can't be crafted, are utterly worthless.

Rilian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Awe my game time got bugged. Whenever I went to "New Pilot" from the main menu it would tell me how many hours I was at. I should be at around 30 by now but it somehow got reset. The actual game data didn't get affected which is what matters, but I always like to see my game times
Mine got bugged as well. I checked at one point and was at 20 hours. Next time I checked it was at 0. Since then it's been counting up from 0, so it basically reset itself at some point and I suppose will never be accurate at this point.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, the difficulty curve. Going from GM1 to GM2, for example, is all kinds of whack. For a long time you will end up with one faceroll tier and one hard as balls tier, there is no middle ground. So you either farm the boring GM1 tier over and over again until you get lucky with the rng gods or you bang your head against the wall in GM2 hoping for better drops that never come and take much longer time in the process.

so you want GrandMaster levels to be cakewalks where you just breeze through everything?...there has to be a reason to get the high level gear...if you can cakewalk through everything then what would be the point of even having that high level gear?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Colossus is 682 and GM2 is challenging but not an impossible task. I think the jump from GM1 to GM2 is handled really well.

Judging difficulty in this game is apparently weird. An Era poster went off on Anthem a few pages ago, which is fair, but one of the complaints was that Hard and above were just TOO hard. I played the entire campaign on Hard and rarely ever wiped.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
My Colossus is 682 and GM2 is challenging but not an impossible task. I think the jump from GM1 to GM2 is handled really well.

Judging difficulty in this game is apparently weird. An Era poster went off on Anthem a few pages ago, which is fair, but one of the complaints was that Hard and above were just TOO hard. I played the entire campaign on Hard and rarely ever wiped.

Yeah, I don't really understand that complaint since the latest patch. Gm1 is pretty easy now, as long as you're geared properly and playing your class even half the way you're meant to. I mean yeah, if for example, you're playing as a Storm and always in melee range, you're gonna have issues imo.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
so you want GrandMaster levels to be cakewalks where you just breeze through everything?...there has to be a reason to get the high level gear...if you can cakewalk through everything then what would be the point of even having that high level gear?

The main problem is the lack of any real, true end game activities. It really needs a raid and other content that's only accessible when you reach a certain level. Right now the end game is basically the power level grind you get after hitting the soft cap in Destiny and need to level up to raid, do nightfalls etc.

But here there's nothing to work toward except grinding the same few things at a higher difficulty level. And even that's made pointless by the loot not being any better or dropping more frequently enough relative to the extra time it takes clear things. So people are better off doing more lower difficulty stuff over and over to get loot with rolls they like as you get more drops per hour that way.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The main problem is the lack of any real, true end game activities. It really needs a raid and other content that's only accessible when you reach a certain level. Right now the end game is basically the power level grind you get after hitting the soft cap in Destiny and need to level up to raid, do nightfalls etc.

But here there's nothing to work toward except grinding the same few things at a higher difficulty level. And even that's made pointless by the loot not being any better or dropping more frequently enough relative to the extra time it takes clear things. So people are better off doing more lower difficulty stuff over and over to get loot with rolls they like as you get more drops per hour that way.

Tbh though, what would having a raid achieve right now, if the drops are the same as what's currently in-game? The only thing that would convince me to do a raid, would be guaranteed a legendary component, and that every subsequent raid I did, would guarantee me a different legendary component. Imo, legendaries should have been saved for raids with the above (non-dupe) mechanic. For me, that would have made them worthwhile...

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Tbh though, what would having a raid achieve right now, if the drops are the same as what's currently in-game? The only thing that would convince me to do a raid, would be guaranteed a legendary component, and that every subsequent raid I did, would guarantee me a different legendary component. Imo, legendaries should have been saved for raids with the above (non-dupe) mechanic. For me, that would have made them worthwhile...

Just to have new content. I'm not a huge loot chaser or build optimizer. I like leveling to do new content a few times and then usually move on until more content drops.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is as close to evidence-based testing we have: looks like the MW drop rate possibly fell to ~4%, down from 11%, for this redditor. Comparison of drops before and after the patch.

I certainly can't defend this. I'll probably stop playing after today and will resume with the next (good) update, I think. Mostly, I've gotten a decent amount of MW drops, but last night, I didn't have a single run where I got 4 or more MW (I played a bunch of GM2 strongholds, as well as GM1 strongholds, contracts, world events).

However, playing GM2 last night and got getting any MW that were worthwhile or better than my (GM1-achieved) current MW, plus the Quickplay bugs, the loot mess...the game is very close to being "worth it" but just isn't there yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...dripfeeding_store_the_loot_droprate_issue_it/

Oh well, I didn't know Ben Irving worked on "that" period of SWTOR. If I knew that, I would have dodged a bullet. Good to know what is coming soon for Anthem...

When did Ben Irving become the head? After Elite: Dangerous, I do not underestimate the power of a creative lead/director. We had the creative director of Haze heading up Elite for years and were subjected to a lot of (shallow, repetitive) grinding. Last year he was removed and, coincidentally, we had a DLC/content update that actually added a lot of depth/dimension into the game.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
When you're in all epics and looking to jump to MWs, that's fine and good, feels rewarding, doesn't feel like you spent your time badly.

But then imagine if you're all MW'd up, maybe with 1 or 2 legendaries, and all the game has to offer is the same 2 or 3 MWs for 20 minutes effort (maybe longer on the hardest difficulties attempting to maximise drop quality, lol), ones you're most likely going to delete instantly as you'll already have them, they won't be an improvement rolls-wise and zero progress has been made. At this point, the game should see where I am in terms of progress, recognise that, and adjust the loot accordingly. Blue and purple drops are pointless. Wanting to experiment with builds and rolls, I need to be seeing dozens of MWs per hour, to roll the dice that many times to improve what I currently have because the buckets the rolls draw from allow for some terrible crap rolls. This is where many people are after only playing the game a week or so.

I go into freeplay now on GM1 and GM2 and the game just drops me epics all over. I give the controller to my 7yo son, put the game on easy freeplay and he's getting the exact same quality of loot I'm getting, only his efficiency is way higher as he can mow stuff down incredibly fast. Only one of us is truly enjoying this experience.

All my javelins are MW level, but I don't have MW versions of all the gear, weapons, and components yet. So MW drops are still valuable to me

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I'd bet they will raise the drop rate around the 12th-15th in reaction to a large number of players leaving to play Div 2, which I'm very convinced is going to happen.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I keep telling myself I'm done with this game, seeing as I'm pretty much just grinding for nothing at this point. But I can't put it down. If only there could be a game with the flight and combat mechanics of this game with the amount of content and loot that The Division 2 looks to have.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I keep telling myself I'm done with this game, seeing as I'm pretty much just grinding for nothing at this point. But I can't put it down. If only there could be a game with the flight and combat mechanics of this game with the amount of content and loot that The Division 2 looks to have.

Was completely burned out by Division, but one thing I couldn't deny was that I always felt like my loot was getting better, always progressing, even after completing the storyline. Darkzone was extremely fun for a while too.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 really does look like the most content/feature complete of any of the loot shooters, on release. I just get a little bored with the settings/gameplay, even though the mechanics are all really tight.

Which maybe why they launched the patch early...
lol

They done fucked up. The patch, if anything, is pushing players away.
Does anyone else find it weird the cash shop npc has his own storyline?
It really does feel like a pre-Battlefront 2 Fiasco inclusion. I bet they used to push the store a lot harder and reigned it in as much as they could following. You can just see some exec scheming a way to make spending money a part of the story.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"Hey guys, what's going on?"
"Yeh, sorry, we accidentally made the loot better for a bit"

Like, what is even happening.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I won't say I'm 'done', I'll still log in for the daily/weekly challenges, but I'm at a point where the game feels so deeply unrewarding I'd rather just do something else with my time. If the coin shop was stacked with items and currency could be earned by completing activities (i.e grindable) I'd have more motivation to keep playing. As it stands the only thing the game offers is a loot chase, but they've made that effectively impossible. I hope they manage to turn it around but there is just so much that needs to be done and competition is fierce right now.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
24 hours ago freeplay, pre-patch:
anthem_20190309113256kwjhu.jpg

Few hours ago freeplay, post-patch:
anthem_20190309210155uqjwh.jpg

I don't know how much time you spent doing either of these, but just FYI, doing the dungeons still yields 6-8 Masterworks an hour. Tried it again last night and I was getting the same as I was previously, which means I was likely doing it before the unintentional buff. All I did was bounce between The Mandible and The Hollow to give each one time to respawn. I'm done with the game for now anyway though. Might pick it up if it has had massive QoL improvements months from now and actual content.

My exact reaction. We're now at GameFAQs and Youtube quality posting.

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
The Division 2 really does look like the most content/feature complete of any of the loot shooters, on release. I just get a little bored with the settings/gameplay, even though the mechanics are all really tight.

lol

They done fucked up. The patch, if anything, is pushing players away.

It really does feel like a pre-Battlefront 2 Fiasco inclusion. I bet they used to push the store a lot harder and reigned it in as much as they could following. You can just see some exec scheming a way to make spending money a part of the story.

If the game gets romances which I bet it will eventually I wonder if they will let you date the cash shop guy I should start the petition to romance him now so Bioware knows people love their crappy awful cash shop character..

When I saw the vendor had a personality I thought for sure he would just be the coin vendor and not the frigging cash shop personified it was really off putting I mean every game has a cash shop but trying to turn the cash shop into a character felt so weird especially the way he was always encouraging you to change up your look and grab some customization.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Life without a stat sheet:

Epic shield reinforcement gives me 1131 shields + 113 armor, and 40% javelin melee damage + 20% RB damage.

MW Elusive Talisman gives me 2836 armor + 1492 shields and 30% luck +15 harvest bonus.

Don't know what my current melee damage is, because there's no stat sheet, and even if there was, there's no way to tell what soft cap I should put for melee.

As an Int therefore, I can't risk upgrading to the mw because I'll lose 40% melee, without knowing whether I can afford to...

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
No, I found it pretty distasteful to have a forced storyline with the npc who sells cosmetics, but its par for the course for these companies

Yeah I was surprised no one seemed to care about the cash shop having it's own storyline which is why I brought it up I thought for sure people on Reddit would kick up a shit storm about it but no one seemed to notice so I never brought it up.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I think I'm going to uninstall for a bit and see what happens this week.

I get the feeling they are going to go dark and focus on overhauling stuff for a big reveal at EA Play in June. Maybe try and essentially relaunch the game then as Anthem 2.0

That Bioware dev did say things would take a few months.

Last edited:

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Yeah I was surprised no one seemed to care about the cash shop having it's own storyline which is why I brought it up I thought for sure people on Reddit would kick up a shit storm about it but no one seemed to notice so I never brought it up.
You're not the only one who was surprised, I thought for sure it would be something that would bother more people but I guess I was wrong. I literally thought to myself "holy shit, there's a storyline for the cash shop, what the fuck are they thinking?"

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Either no one's doing gm1 strongholds, or qpsh is bugged as fuck.

Edit: get into two qpsh ToS both times, and both with different people, and both times they're bugged on "Explore Scar Nest". Once was a few hours ago, and one now.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
You're not the only one who was surprised, I thought for sure it would be something that would bother more people but I guess I was wrong

I've seen it mentioned three times since launch I don't like being negative in new game threads because sometimes I just dislike a game cause I'm a cranky ass. I honestly don't think people noticed Prospero was the cash shop dude and just thought he was a vendor his name makes him being the cash shop guy and having a storyline even worse to me anyway.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's just that the game is so rife with serious problems that the cash shop NPC having a story doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison. I quite like that they at least attempted to have him fit in with the environment, but I can definitely see how it would upset people.

His name is ridiculous though, like before he was a cash shop he was meant to be a freelancer. Imagine meeting a freelancer called Prospero 🙄

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
I've seen it mentioned three times since launch I don't like being negative in new game threads because sometimes I just dislike a game cause I'm a cranky ass. I honestly don't think people noticed Prospero was the cash shop dude and just thought he was a vendor his name makes him being the cash shop guy and having a storyline even worse to me anyway.
Yep, like at least try to hide that greed a bit, but they literally named the dude Prospero. WTF

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just that the game is so rife with serious problems that the cash shop NPC having a story doesn't seem like a big deal by comparison. I quite like that they at least attempted to have him fit in with the environment, but I can definitely see how it would upset people.

His name is ridiculous though, like before he was a cash shop he was meant to be a freelancer. Imagine meeting a freelancer called Prospero 🙄

It's not the worst cash shop pushing I've seen that honor goes to GTA Online with it's non stop texts about dlc and how you're missing out if you don't get it.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Your experience is probably in line with most casual players. They don't know or care about the things that are wrong because they likely don't even know ow they're happening. Sure they'll see the 0% MWs but they won't bat an eye at any of the inscriptions, they won't care about only getting a single MW drop in an hour long game session. They will notice loading screens, bugged quickplay, and that's about it.
Makes sense. I'd say that's probably accurate to how I play this, Destiny and The Division, and probably why I'm having a good time overall. I play Destiny for example for the fun shooting, the characters and story, exploring each world and the lore behind the series and it's the same with Anthem.

I do have issues with the long loads, Bastion feeling a bit empty when you're in the open world, weapons looking samey, quickplay bugs but for me the loot is almost like a bonus on top and not the goal. Funny to say about a "looter shooter" but that's my approach.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Makes sense. I'd say that's probably accurate to how I play this, Destiny and The Division, and probably why I'm having a good time overall. I play Destiny for example for the fun shooting, the characters and story, exploring each world and the lore behind the series and it's the same with Anthem.

I do have issues with the long loads, Bastion feeling a bit empty when you're in the open world, weapons looking samey, quickplay bugs but for me the loot is almost like a bonus on top and not the goal. Funny to say about a "looter shooter" but that's my approach.

Nah, its a perfectly good stance to have. Honestly, the reason why I enjoy the Division is cause of its story and setting, the loot is a means to the end, which is murdering people for the story. Its also why im not interested in other looter shooters, their story and setting dont interest me. I will say I'm eager to see how the content shapes up in difficulty, cause im beginning to take a interest in how to be better, but my first inclination towards the game is lore.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like the state of reddit, I've been saying drop rates are shit since day 1, a game it's endgame being chasing random inscription can't have these kind of drop rates.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Loot aside, I'm still just shocked that the game runs so poorly with no acknowledgement that it's even an issue. I'm on a 2080/1600x combo, and I can't maintain a reliable 60FPS on medium settings.

When I also factor in my 0% success rate at joining a working quick play match, I think I'm nearly done. I love the core concept, but I just feel so burned by this game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
All my javelins are MW level, but I don't have MW versions of all the gear, weapons, and components yet. So MW drops are still valuable to me
Yeah, that doesn't really mean anything, it's not a gate to walled content or anything, it's just a tag. And that's eacatly what I'm saying - where you are now, when MWs are new and replacing Epics, everything is easy, fast and feels like way too much progress too quickly. After that, not so much (at all).
Which maybe why they launched the patch early...
I think they did that to have the first weekend off they've had for months, lol.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that doesn't really mean anything, it's not a gate to walled content or anything, it's just a tag. And that's eacatly what I'm saying - where you are now, when MWs are new and replacing Epics, everything is easy, fast and feels like way too much progress too quickly. After that, not so much (at all).
What do you want me to say bud

Your grievances are legitimate

We good?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Uuuuuugh. I'm fine with fixed collectibles. But tracking down 125 sentinel/arcanist archives + scar/outlaw/dominion intels suuuuuuuuucked.
Platinum get. Now to shelf this fucking piece of shit until/unless Bioware ever manages to bring it up to a serviceable state.
Took Destiny 1 and 2 a solid year each, but there's a lot more wrong with this game than there ever was with Destiny, and it's fucking 2019, so mistakes made in 2014 that may have been excusable when trails were be blazed back then are not excusable now in 2019. For shame, Bioware.
There's a hint of a decent gameplay loop here, but it's buried under soooooo much chaff, an endgame more anemic than Destiny at it's worst (never mind it's best) and an atrocious fucking story. We all deserved better.

And we got better with Andromeda. That's the true tragedy here.