• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Rilian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Nice. Lucky!

This last patch was supposed to solve some issues for people, but if you weren't having issues, then there wasn't much to solve! Heh

Im on a PS4 Pro as well, and my internet is really good, I have friends in the same city, on the same internet provider and speed, also ok PS4 Pro, and they don't have issues. So its all very random.

I wish I could be as lucky as you are though, haha.
Sorta crazy that people's experiences can be so vastly different with seemingly identical setups. I had a couple disconnects in the first two days, but nothing after that. I've certainly had other bugs since then, including system shut downs on two occasions, but haven't had those in quite awhile either. Even though I'm not having major issues (well, at least bug wise, I have many other concerns), it is disconcerting that so many others are.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
When a live game has to sit down and fix how the game works before it actually settles on going forward there are already massive issues. Bioware also let ME:A rot after patching it to be playable what is to say they won't do that with this?
These are ridiculously complex systems. They're making sure they don't make large changes that have adverse effects - because even minor changes can totally change how people play, rendering those other MAJOR changes totally irrelevant.

If you don't want the game to be massive swings one way then the other, then back again...let them figure out the best path.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
it's only been out 3 weeks!!...at least give it 6 months to improve and for BioWare to learn what works, what doesn't etc...people are expecting Anthem to be perfect after 3 weeks...and most people seem to now have a selective memory and think that Division 1 and Destiny 1 were in such excellent shape at launch...stop!

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
it's only been out 3 weeks!!...at least give it 6 months to improve and for BioWare to learn what works, what doesn't etc...people are expecting Anthem to be perfect after 3 weeks...and most people seem to now have a selective memory and think that Division 1 and Destiny 1 were in such excellent shape at launch...stop!

I agree its a bit premature but the issue with Anthem is that these issues have appeared within 2 weeks. There simply isn't enough content to keep people around for 6 months.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People should give Bioware and EA shit every single goddam day until the game is at least stable and not a buggy mess, and also has a sensible loot progression system. Because guess what? If people dont, they will be happy to just brush complaints aside and go on their merry way to produce cosmetic stuff.

The only REASON Destiny and Division got better with time was because their fans gave those companies shit every single day until the game was better. And nobody knows how the game can get better and better than their own community. Just take a look at Warframe and Division, games that are absolutely unrecognizable from their starting points because their fans gave the devs feedback every single day.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
These are ridiculously complex systems. They're making sure they don't make large changes that have adverse effects - because even minor changes can totally change how people play, rendering those other MAJOR changes totally irrelevant.

If you don't want the game to be massive swings one way then the other, then back again...let them figure out the best path.

I understand the situation. That does not excuse the game being released the way it was. To say oh well things are complex and to give it time ignores the elepant in the room as to why was the game released this way in the first place.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I backed out of my preorder after the beta, intending to return later after things were inevitably patched up. After listening to a few Giant Bombcasts and reading through this thread, maybe I should just forget about it and go with The Division 2 as my next loot shooter.

What a shame if this is the whimper Bioware goes out on. They created my three favorite games of all time.
people are so gloom and doom when talking about this game...it's totally silly...Destiny, Division 1 etc took around a year to 'fix'...Anthem will also get better over time...people hate EA so much that they aren't willing to give the game the same chances as other similar games...people need to relax...they are fixing bugs very quickly and people are still not satisfied...they fixed the Lvl 1 weapon bug within 2 days!!...people are probably upset that they fixed it so quickly because they can't complain about it anymore...let go of your EA-hate and give the game longer then 2 weeks to thrive...seriously people you do realize that the game has only been out 2 weeks right?

The Division and Destiny/2 had some design problems that needed ironing out, but they played well and were perfectly functional. The issues with this game are far more extensive and technical. There's also the looming shadow of EA - who aren't exactly shy about axing a product / discontinuing support if something isn't working out. I don't hate EA or anything like that, it's just true.

That said, I am don't think the game is any danger at this moment. But I can understand why someone might feel that way.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I dunno, this is the company that said the game could be launched in 2018 but pushed it to 2019 due to a crowded schedule (which was true to be fair) and not from a game readiness aspect. Given how things have gone down, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
This doesn't become true just by repeating yourself. I remember running the ORIGINAL Destiny raid less than two weeks in and having a damn blast. Stop.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's also the looming shadow of EA - who aren't exactly shy about axing a product / discontinuing support if something isn't working out. I don't hate EA or anything like that, it's just true...

EA?...the same publisher that has continued supporting Battlefront 2?...that game got off to a horrible start and was almost DOA but EA continued to support it and release content to this day...BF2 started out much worse then Anthem

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I backed out of my preorder after the beta, intending to return later after things were inevitably patched up. After listening to a few Giant Bombcasts and reading through this thread, maybe I should just forget about it and go with The Division 2 as my next loot shooter.

What a shame if this is the whimper Bioware goes out on. They created my three favorite games of all time.

The Division and Destiny/2 had some design problems that needed ironing out, but they played well and were perfectly functional. The issues with this game are far more extensive and technical. There's also the looming shadow of EA - who aren't exactly shy about axing a product / discontinuing support if something isn't working out. I don't hate EA or anything like that, it's just true.

That said, I am don't think the game is any danger at this moment. But I can understand why someone might feel that way.

Sorry, I disagree with this. Both Destiny (1&2) and The Division had major core system issues that took 6-12 months to iron out. The Division, especially. People dismissed that game to the grave after a few months.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
It is interesting to watch the reception.

Which loot shooters have not had a dramatic reconfiguring in the first 6-12 months?

Destiny 2 had a complete shitshow of a launch, as the probably most recent example. Spent a year getting the game to where it needs to be.

The main offense is that BW has repeated so many of the same mistakes...but when compared to other loot shooters, for better or worse, it's on the typical path.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. It's definitely a bummer that these things weren't figured out but historically games like these do get figured out in a reasonable way, so as long as I enjoy the gameplay of these games and it doesn't require me to continue paying in order to play, I'm fine with just coming back to the games whenever big content drops happen.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
EA?...the same publisher that has continued supporting Battlefront 2?...that game got off to a horrible start and was almost DOA but EA continued to support it and release content to this day...BF2 started out much worse then Anthem

At this point I think you really remember things differently that how they happend. EA has a contract with Disney for Star Wars. EA has no reason to give Bioware the same space.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
also it's not like people need to pay a monthly subscription fee with Anthem...buy it and then wait to see what shape it's in after 1 month, 3 months, 6 months etc...

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
At this point I think you really remember things differently that how they happend. EA has a contract with Disney for Star Wars. EA has no reason to give Bioware the same space.

The being made is that they continued supporting it. Were they contractually obligated to? Maybe. It's possible that they weren't contractually obligated to either.

This game is designed with continued support in mind and there are plenty of examples of games that shipped flawed (pretty much every single game in this genre dating back years) that can turn things around and generate a steady revenue stream when new content keeps on coming.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I appreciate the effort in trying to patch this game up. But the bugs that came with the patch are basically as bad as the ones it fixed hah.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The being made is that they continued supporting it. Were they contractually obligated to? Maybe. It's possible that they weren't contractually obligated to either.

This game is designed with continued support in mind and there are plenty of examples of games that shipped flawed (pretty much every single game in this genre dating back years) that can turn things around and generate a steady revenue stream when new content keeps on coming.

But never from Bioware. I again ask what happened to the continued support with ME: A? Back to what you responded to with Disney and EA do you really think EA would be able to be the sole publisher/creator of Star Wars without guaranteed support after launch.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
But never from Bioware. I again ask what happened to the continued support with ME:A? Back to what you responded to with Disney and EA do you really think EA would be able to be the sole publisher/creater of Star Wars withought garunteed support after launch.

Is Mass Effect: Andromeda the same type of game as this? It had a multiplayer component but the majority of the focus was single player based. Multiplayer games as a service games are different (and have different revenue streams) compared to a game that is vastly a single player experience.

I don't know the contractual obligations between EA/Disney, so I'm not going to pretend to know either way. I think assuming one way or the other to support a specific point of view is ignorant.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying discontinued support won't happen, I'm just saying that this product is different from EAs other products and EA has shown continued support to games that haven't met their sales goals before in BF2.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Yes, they did that, that one time. They also have done what I mentioned many more times.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the bugs im running in to:
* Vault locks up and won't let me select anything sometimes after i salvage something
*Launch bay...my legion of dawn weapon disappears and u can launch into a mission with just 1 weapon because of it
*Got kicked to main screen and had to rejoin when i was loading into freeplay. (happened 1 time)
*enemies disappear sometimes.
*can't finish a world event sometimes because it says to kill all enemies and there are none left.

honestly. These are like the only ones for me now

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Mass Effect: Andromeda the same type of game as this? It had a multiplayer component but the majority of the focus was single player based. Multiplayer games as a service game are different (and have different revenue streams) compared to a game that is vastly a single player experience.

I don't know the contractual obligations between EA/Disney, so I'm not going to pretend to know either way. I think assuming one way or the other to support a specific point of view is ignorant.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer had support for YEARS with new characters, weapons and stuff because it was very popular (And it was made by the team that would make Andromeda next).

For the Battlefront 2 argument: Not only that is a Disney thing, which begs the question if there are other variables involved, but the game is ran by a skeleton crew right now. And Anthem "main team" (AKA the team that made the game) won't be involved with it for long: That will fall in the hands of the "Live Team" which is headed by another person entirely.

I dont think they will abandon the game, but the only reason Bioware and EA went with the "Free DLC" approach is that they expected a huge engagement with microtransactions. There are almost no shit to buy in the game right now. Since launch, they released what? 2 skins for each Javelin, not counting the one from Legion of Dawn edition. So the game has a disastrous critical reception, very low player retention (All the power you are getting will be put to use in the aspirational content that is coming, hopefully (Developers Words) at the END OF MAY.

I dont see Bioware and EA supporting this game with really significant content (That HAS to be free) for a long time after May.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Is Mass Effect: Andromeda the same type of game as this? It had a multiplayer component but the majority of the focus was single player based. Multiplayer games as a service games are different (and have different revenue streams) compared to a game that is vastly a single player experience.

Let us ignore EA/Disney and look at directly Bioware. This is the second bug riddled game they have released and back to back none the less. The example of what has happened with ME:A has merit as Bioware relased one single major patch and did not continue support or DLC that they had planned and discussed. You state that because this is multiplayer game that perhaps it will have more support. I look at what has happened with Bioware and disagree I see a skeleton crew trying to patch as many major bugs hope for the best and the game starts to dwindle away via player base because they cannot retain the players needed to go forward. Bioware if allowed to continue will focus on the next Dragon Age and hope that it is not the mess that Anthem and ME:A were.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I want Anthem to succeed. I want Bioware to be given the time and resources to be great as it will only be good for this genre of game. Looter/Shooters need all the competition in the world to strive to build communities and great stories. Anthem has the idea but Bioware needs to build the bones and structure now.

If any Bioware/EA people are reading this realize the mess and put the much needed staffing to fix it and allow the community to thrive.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I want Anthem to succeed. I want Bioware to be given the time and resources to be great as it will only be good for this genre of game. Looter/Shooters need all the competition in the world to strive to build communities and great stories. Anthem has the idea but Bioware needs to build the bones and structure now.

If any Bioware/EA people are reading this realize the mess and put the much needed staffing to fix it and allow the community to thrive.
They had 6+ years. Right now they are just scrambling to make it playable.
They seem overwhelmed at this point

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I am willing to Avatar bet with everyone that the game will be absolutely dead in six months down the line and will only receive bugfixes. They will probably cut their losses when the general public realize that "Cataclysms" are just world events with the same enemies but stronger.

I ain't taking no Avatar bets because predicting the future is for crazy people, but one thing I would say is that people said the same thing about Fallout 76 just before Bethesda came out with a surprisingly detailed roadmap for the next two months. And if anything, I think Fallout 76 is in greater danger of having its support cut, based on the overwhelmingly negative response it's gotten compared to Anthem. The only trick is that people really don't trust EA even compared to Bethesda, so who knows.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Definitely a legitimate concern. There is precedent for it though, but with DICE. BF4 had a CRAZY post launch support run and even BF1 made a lot of improvements.
BF4 might be the worst launch i've ever experienced. That or Batman Arkham Origins.
man BF4 was sooo bad. For awhile too. And somehow someway it powered thru and became a great BF game.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I played for a couple hours tonight after taking a couple days off and I think they did some really good things with the patch. GM2 feels pretty good after the update but I still don't really have much incentive to keep pushing into the higher difficulties for the exact same loot. GM2 and GM3 should have progressively better loot period. I still really enjoy the movement and combat but the game just doesn't feel very rewarding to play right now and that is a problem.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow quickplay strongholds is totally fucked
It would easily be my most played mode if the Strongholds didn't bug out on advancing to the next stage. Also counts towards Quickplay for the challenge of valor.

I loaded into way too many missions where we couldn't advance, even after wiping.

It really does seem like they're in over their heads and are struggling to stay afloat, even with some really good ideas and mechanics.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't taking no Avatar bets because predicting the future is for crazy people, but one thing I would say is that people said the same thing about Fallout 76 just before Bethesda came out with a surprisingly detailed roadmap for the next two months. And if anything, I think Fallout 76 is in greater danger of having its support cut, based on the overwhelmingly negative response it's gotten compared to Anthem. The only trick is that people really don't trust EA even compared to Bethesda, so who knows.

Anthem already has its roadmap and its absolutely pathetic, with tons of words that mean nothing, and events that repeat themselves. And on the latest stream with the developers, they said that all that roadmap content was "Hopefully" released on time and not pushed back. F76 was also made in what, 2 years? With a ton of assets and code already done from FO4. It was a far cheaper project for Bethesda to make and, I believe, to maintain.

Anthem is a behemot game that is in development for 7 years at this point, in a genre that people usually focus on one game (And we have DIvision 2, Warframe, Destiny 2). And also a game from a publisher that is known for killing studios and putting franchises on ice.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

ESO had a shit launch Bethesda/ZeniMax put in the time to fix it. The difference is history of fixing shit. Bioware has no history of actually fixing something broken and continuing. Fallout 76 did not take 6 years to make and was built on a shit engine as well. Not very great excuses, but at least we know the crux of the issues versus Anthem. What are the excuses for the amount of dev time/mess we have now.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
ESO had a shit launch Bethesda/ZeniMax put in the time to fix it. The difference is history on fixing shit. Bioware has no history of actually fixing something broken and continuing. Falliout 76 did not take 6 years to make and was built on a shit engine as well. Not very great excuses but at least we know the crux of the issues versus Anthem. What are the excuses for the amount of dev time/mess we have now.
didn't bioware fix a ton of stuff in andromeda?

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
First stronghold after the patch and I cant interact with anything. Cant revive teammates, cant pick up objects, cant open the chests. Yikes. This game just cant catch a break.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm one of the super unlucky people who gets disconnected from this game about 30 times a day. Unfortunately this new patch didn't solve any of that.

Have the disconnects been improved for you normal people?
Playing on my X and I rarely get disconnected. Honestly reading a lot of the posts in here kind of makes me feel like I'm playing a different game lol (playing on the X).

The only issues I've been having with other players is getting into quickplay missions where the waypoint marker just doesn't show up so we can't progress or do anything.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This patch fucked gameplay so much, guns are almost useless and every enemy just die from melee+combo, its insane

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not exactly moaning about the next few months are we. The loot situation has been horrible since release now and they've refused to increase the rates. A screen up made the game a lot more enjoyable and was then reversed. We need a proper comment, not this.

The loot has been fun exactly two times since release, and both times were accidents. I mean, if that doesn't tell you they don't know what they are doing I don't what would. The fact he mentions "months" is laughable, though, considering weeks would be too long. Months of the game in this state and no one will care.

people are so gloom and doom when talking about this game...it's totally silly...Destiny, Division 1 etc took around a year to 'fix'...Anthem will also get better over time...people hate EA so much that they aren't willing to give the game the same chances as other similar games...people need to relax...they are fixing bugs very quickly and people are still not satisfied...they fixed the Lvl 1 weapon bug within 2 days!!...people are probably upset that they fixed it so quickly because they can't complain about it anymore...let go of your EA-hate and give the game longer then 2 weeks to thrive...seriously people you do realize that the game has only been out 2 weeks right?

You've been pushing this "EA hate" scapegoat thing since before release, it's time to let it go. If this game game fails it won't be because of people hating on EA. People have hated EA for decades and will still turn around and buy their games. The hate has nothing to do with EA and everything to do with Anthem. People aren't mad at EA for quickplay still being broken over three weeks later. People aren't mad at EA for the shitty loot issues. People aren't mad at EA because of the constant long loading times. People aren't even mad at EA over the lack of content, the ridiculous difficulty curve, the slew of bugs, the crashes or the disconnects, or the hundreds of other problems with the game. That's all Anthem.

And here's another thing, those other games you mentioned still exist. People aren't going to give you Destiny time to fix Anthem because Destiny already exists and is functional and fun to play, so it doesn't matter if Destiny took a year to get good, Anthem doesn't have that luxury. You can already see the cracks in the support. Go to /r/AnthemTheGame, a place generally filled with people who like the game, and you can already see the tide shifting from the "BW is so great for talking to us" to "fix your game" type stuff. The entire front page is nothing but people angry with Bioware's loot bugs being better and more fun than Bioware's actually intended design...also not EA hate, btw.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Playing on my X and I rarely get disconnected. Honestly reading a lot of the posts in here kind of makes me feel like I'm playing a different game lol (playing on the X).

The only issues I've been having with other players is getting into quickplay missions where the waypoint marker just doesn't show up so we can't progress or do anything.
same brother. Im also on Xb1x. Maybe its just better on the x?
I feel like im playing a different version or something. I've only been booted out of the game once. The framerates pretty good. I've had like a handful of the same problems since launch. But nothing major. Im getting loot just fine.
like the most serious problems i've run into is sometimes i can't revive certain team-mates in a mission or stronghold. And thats happened maybe twice?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am ok with bioware moving on. One because i would like to see them go back to doing RPGs with fantastic combat mechanics (they were seriously the best) and two because i dont want every game to be supported for fucking years. I have already played this game for 35 hours and i only have like 3 masterworks right now for one character. there should be at least a 100 hours of gameplay here if i try out the other classes. that should be good enough for most gamers. we have become way too entitled nowadays.

I really like what they have done with the end game. especially when compared to what Destiny does. there is no limit on how many times you can run strongholds. i fucking hated the fact that you can only run raids and nigthfall strikes once per character in destiny. i also like how everything has matchmaking. no need to form groups on forums or beg friends or carve out a time to play with LFG groups. i like that they thought to include uses for Embers and they actually provide some pretty tangible bonuses. i am swimming in Epic items now that i am level 30 and have over 60 luck so it's good to dismantle them and have them be worth something. legendaries are useless in Destiny.

I wish there were more strongholds in the game and fewer story missions and contracts. it was great to see them give you some more side quests after the game ended. the grind to level 30 didnt feel that bad because i was doing new content the entire time. i remember in Destiny 1 how after hitting level 20 and finishing the story missions, all you had was five strikes and the raid. but the raid you couldnt do until you hit level 26 so we all played strikes for over two weeks to get to level 26. In destiny 2, they had side content but made it completely useless after hitting 265 and only like three actitivities gave out better gear. it was ridiculous.

even now after so many years, the game is a light level chase grindfest with very little meaningful loot. the best items are exotic but you still cant equip more than one. the perks and mods are nerfed because they mess with the PvP balance so every gun feels the same and underpowered. i love how powerful i already feel in Anthem. i wish there were some set bonuses and ability to customize your crafted items, but what they have at the moment is a good enough for now.

Anyway, i have been harsh on this game and i still stand by some of the poor level design choices that made every mission feel the same but they did get the loot and end game right.

P.S the problem with the end game being so good is that everyone uses combo abilities in tandem which causes massive explosions and literally cuts the framerate to half. i am running the game on high settings at 1440p to get a stable 60 fps and it worked well on hard for the story missions where no one has any idea how to use these abilities, but as soon as i hit high level play, the framerate tanked. could be the recent patch too. This is on a $700 RTX 2080 lol. i feel bad for other console players.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Why won't the Ruin Titan move on? War Titan gave me some issues, took maybe 30 minutes. The other two spawned and fell quickly. I've been flying around for hours looking for the Ruin Titan, and nada... /sigh

Edit: And got him. There Be Giants finally completed. At least, while looping around, I collected enough Scar Intel to hit the 25. Almost done with the plat...

Last edited: